[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Non-Basketball Events Does MU Have At The AL  (Read 3334 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
What Non-Basketball Events Does MU Have At The AL
« on: April 20, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
I'm a big tennis fan and I'm watching the US/France Fed Cup live from St. Louis University (Think Ryder cup for tennis).  They put a tennis court in their basketball arena.

This got me thinking.  The AL would be a great place to host such an event.  I know they had the McDonald's AA game in the AL a few years ago but that is still basketball.

So, what non-basketball events have been hosted in the AL?  Concerts? Non-Sports MU events? (so I'm not looking for MU volleyball).

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:27:00 PM by Heisenberg »

jsglow

• All American
Re: What Non-Basketball Events Does MU Have At The AL
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
From MU's perspective, they hold Convocation for the Frosh class each year in August as well as Arts & Science individual college graduation in May.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 02:59:12 PM »
I'm a big tennis fan and I'm watching the US/France Fed Cup live from St. Louis University (Think Ryder cup for tennis).  They put a tennis court in their basketball arena.

This got me thinking.  The AL would be a great place to host such an event.  I know they had the McDonald's AA game in the AL a few years ago but that is still basketball.

So, what non-basketball events have been hosted in the AL?  Concerts? Non-Sports MU events? (so I'm not looking for MU volleyball).

Thanks in advance.

When was that?  I know they had the McDonald's AA Game at the Bradley Center when Brandon Jennings played in the game, but I don't recall it ever being at the Al.  They have had the Al as one of various sites in the greater Milwaukee area for a USA Volleyball Juniors National Qualifier in the past, but I don't think they have hosted it in at least 4 years I would say.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:29:17 PM »
When was that?  I know they had the McDonald's AA Game at the Bradley Center when Brandon Jennings played in the game, but I don't recall it ever being at the Al.  They have had the Al as one of various sites in the greater Milwaukee area for a USA Volleyball Juniors National Qualifier in the past, but I don't think they have hosted it in at least 4 years I would say.

Was it at the BC?  I thought they played it in the AL.  My bad

So, no monster trucks or wrestling in the AL?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Women's basketball.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
I'm a big tennis fan and I'm watching the US/France Fed Cup live from St. Louis University (Think Ryder cup for tennis).  They put a tennis court in their basketball arena.

This got me thinking.  The AL would be a great place to host such an event.  I know they had the McDonald's AA game in the AL a few years ago but that is still basketball.

In the late 90s, the US hosted a Davis Cup semi final at the Arena.  It was poorly attended and the top players skipped it.  Pretty much a disaster.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
I've missed you, man.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 06:58:21 PM »
I've missed you, man.  

The Providence game was the day before Ash Wednesday.  This place was a disaster so I gave it up for Lent.  We'll see how it goes.

And thank you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

The Providence game was the day before Ash Wednesday.  This place was a disaster so I gave it up for Lent.  We'll see how it goes.

And thank you.

If anything, things have only gotten worse.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
Women's basketball.

Lame.  He!l, women's basketball is the closest game  there is to the former "non-contact" sport I used to enjoy watching.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »

And thank you.

Yep.  Been pretty bad.  Happy Easter Sultan.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:31 AM »

And thank you.

Did we have a lunatic coaching our squad before Ash Wednesday?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:59 AM »
When was that?  I know they had the McDonald's AA Game at the Bradley Center when Brandon Jennings played in the game, but I don't recall it ever being at the Al.

The McD's 3 point and dunk contest were at the MECCA that year. If McD's ever comes back to Milwaukee, they should happen at the Al.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
volleyball

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »

And thank you.

+1, glad to have Sultan back.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 01:11:26 PM »
Between women's basketball, volleyball, and men's practice, the Al gets plenty of use.

Tennis at the Al could be cool for a championship match, but the reality is for any sort of college tennis event you need multiple courts, like MU's Helfaer Tennis Stadium has. Teams have a dozen players, each playing in a 1 on 1 or doubles match. Having one court isn't really practical. If it was next door to the Helfaer, you could set it up for tennis. But having players walk across campus to play a match isn't going to happen.

As far as non-athletic events, there are beginning of the year convocations and graduation commencement ceremonies at the Al as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:13:42 PM by Bleuteaux »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

feedback