[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hiroshima?  (Read 18202 times)

GOO

• All American
Re: Hiroshima?
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »
Bert's Leaving: What we feared

Bert's Leaving: The reality

A couple of short silent videos are worth a million words, or something like that.  Too funny and oh so true.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »
TAMU Eadgle

Exactly correct on the JUCO situation and Jae's role in the process. The ovelooking of his academic's was the root of the problem. His academic situation and lack of progress caused issues and they should have.

Do you have full story on why McKay actually left? I have heard several different reasons and still confused on his quick trigger departure.

I heard what WW heard.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
Goal is National Championship

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
Bert's Leaving: What we feared

Bert's Leaving: The reality

Fantastic Keefe. Just fan-fu¢king-tastic

brandx

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »
Hiroshima was also described as turning our program into SLU (St. Louis U).  Posters here freaked out at the concept.

BTW, how did SLU do this year?  How did we do this year?

You really think SLU will maintain any success without Majerus? Have they maintained any success for more than a year or two at a time, every other decade? Biondi was A-OK with that result. The concern was that MU admin would be, too.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
A couple of short silent videos are worth a million words, or something like that.  Too funny and oh so true.
That guy looks kind of beefy to be ARVN, but they definitely handle their come to Jesus tools like the ARVN did.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
You really think SLU will maintain any success without Majerus? Have they maintained any success for more than a year or two at a time, every other decade? Biondi was A-OK with that result. The concern was that MU admin would be, too.

They kicked ass for a while in the 90's under Charlie Spoonhour.  Had the occasional great year during the 80's under Rich Grawer.  They were averaging 17k fans for some time while Spoonhour was the coach.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
Remember watching Larry Hughes go off for about 40 at MU one year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2014, 11:17:23 PM »

SLU will return to the basement of the A10 next season. I don't think they will emerge from it for years. Posters will change their tune pretty quickly after that. SLU brings a media market and that's about it.
TAMU

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
SLU will return to the basement of the A10 next season. I don't think they will emerge from it for years. Posters will change their tune pretty quickly after that. SLU brings a media market and that's about it.

I disagree. Crews is a good coach.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »

You want to take a look at his career record at Evansville and Army before making that statement?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »

I don't care how good the coach is. He is losing all 5 starters from this season. He will return only 5 players that saw time in at least half of their games this season, 4 of which averaged less than 13 minutes per game. What is he replacing them with? A bunch of low 3 stars and 2 stars. Could they eventually become good? Maybe, but I don't think any of them will see the tournament in their 4 years. This isn't a high major team that can just reload every year. We are talking about a team that has 9 tournament appearances and has never made it past the round of 32.

Majerus did great work for that team. I really don't think Crews can maintain it.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »

He originally went to a non-accredited JUCO for one year.  But he transferred to an accredited JUCO (Howard), earned his associates degree, and met the minimum standards for participation per the NCAA.

But the issues with JUCOs is that they oftentimes will major in something like physical education.  But since Marquette doesn't have a PE major, those credits don't count toward any sort of major.  So there is no conceivable way that they can earn a degree from Marquette in a reasonable time.

The difference with McKay is that he committed early, and Marquette could help him craft a academic program at Indian Hills that would more easily transfer.  So yeah, Marquette cracked down on JUCOs, but I think the reasons were completely understandable.

I understand Jae met the minimum standard for admission per the NCAA but that bar is set well below what MU expects. The reality is that Crowder was never going to be graduated from Marquette within the two years eligibility and that set a precedence for the University.

As for incompatible majors I tried to major in Classical Music Studies but couldn't take 8 hours of Horton Roe every day.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »

You want to take a look at his career record at Evansville and Army before making that statement?

I know what he's done. And I stand by it.  I missed your condescending posts though. Welcome back.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »
I understand Jae met the minimum standard for admission per the NCAA but that bar is set well below what MU expects. The reality is that Crowder was never going to be graduated from Marquette within the two years eligibility and that set a precedence for the University.

I agree with this, but this is what you originally said:

"The reality is Crowder went to an unaccredited JC. MU had no business admitting anyone from that school."

At best that was a misleading statement.  You left out the part where he went to an accredited Juco in between, and earned his degree.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
I agree with this, but this is what you originally said:

"The reality is Crowder went to an unaccredited JC. MU had no business admitting anyone from that school."

At best that was a misleading statement.  You left out the part where he went to an accredited Juco in between, and earned his degree.

Not sure how it was misleading. Crowder went to an unaccredited JUCO which put him way behind the power curve to be graduated when he enrolled at MU. That is a fact and the single biggest reason he was never going to get his degree during his eligibility. And while he did attend an accredited JUCO for his second year that served only to enable him to meet the NCAA minimum standard.

The point is that bringing in Crowder was a statement: Athlete-"Student."

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
Not sure how it was misleading.

Because he wasn't admitted from the unaccredited school.  He was admitted from Howard.

Seriously, I know you are fluent in a ton of languages, but you may want to work on your English.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »
They kicked ass for a while in the 90's under Charlie Spoonhour.  Had the occasional great year during the 80's under Rich Grawer.  They were averaging 17k fans for some time while Spoonhour was the coach.

In 10 seasons under Grawer, they went to 0 NCAA tournaments and 3 NITs.  Not sure I'd characterize any of those seasons as "great."

Spoonhour certainly did better - 3 NCAA bids in 7 seasons - but they won a grand total of 2 NCAA tournament games in that span.  They certainly drew in local fans, but I'm not sure I'd agree that they "kicked ass."

I will be interested to see what Crews can do without Rick's recruits.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 02:37:08 PM »

Because he wasn't admitted from the unaccredited school.  He was admitted from Howard.

Seriously, I know you are fluent in a ton of languages, but you may want to work on your English.

My English is just fine.

Death on call

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »

As for incompatible majors I tried to major in Classical Music Studies but couldn't take 8 hours of Horton Roe every day.

Holy crap, did Keefe just admit to a degree he doesn't have?????