Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hiroshima?  (Read 18204 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Hiroshima?
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »
TAMU Eadgle

Exactly correct on the JUCO situation and Jae's role in the process. The ovelooking of his academic's was the root of the problem. His academic situation and lack of progress caused issues and they should have.

Do you have full story on why McKay actually left? I have heard several different reasons and still confused on his quick trigger departure.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:44 AM »
TAMU Eadgle

Exactly correct on the JUCO situation and Jae's role in the process. The ovelooking of his academic's was the root of the problem. His academic situation and lack of progress caused issues and they should have.

Do you have full story on why McKay actually left? I have heard several different reasons and still confused on his quick trigger departure.

McKay heard he wasn't going to get the minutes he was hoping for and might play a position he didn't want to. Simple as that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »
McKay heard he wasn't going to get the minutes he was hoping for and might play a position he didn't want to. Simple as that.

Does that mean McKay thinks someone lied to him?  Or, was McKay not through enough to ask these questions (what position will he play and how many minutes will he get) before he arrived on campus?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
Does that mean McKay thinks someone lied to him?  Or, was McKay not through enough to ask these questions (what position will he play and how many minutes will he get) before he arrived on campus?

No idea. I do know he wasn't the only one that was unhappy with what he heard. But he was the only one to transfer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »
No idea. I do know he wasn't the only one that was unhappy with what he heard. But he was the only one to transfer.

I guess I should have been more specific ... I doubt McKay forgot to ask.  I'll guess the answers he got did not jive with what he was told after he was on campus and official practice began.  Remember, he left a week after midnight madness in October, a week after official practice began.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
Wadesworld

Not sure as simple as that, but you sound to be in the know. I had heard other rumblings that played a role in the transfer. Since you are confident in departure it is good enough for me.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »
I know from experience that schools give out 5 year schollies. Why is that different for basketball, MU? wouldn't a, say, 3year scholarship for a JUCO be kosher?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
I think for this board Hiroshima is realizing that going forward Dayton has the better program. Next year Dayton will likely pass us up in all-time wins and may again be in tournament while MU is not.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »
I know from experience that schools give out 5 year schollies. Why is that different for basketball, MU? wouldn't a, say, 3year scholarship for a JUCO be kosher?

We had JUCO players stay an extra year to graduate...Blackledge, I think Lott.  Assuming they were given some sort of non-basketball scholarship.  I'd imagine the feeling is that they are exceptions and most are not going to make getting their education and graduating the priority when their eligibility runs out vs. finding an overseas contract right away.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »
I think for this board Hiroshima is realizing that going forward Dayton has the better program. Next year Dayton will likely pass us up in all-time wins and may again be in tournament while MU is not.

When did Dayton become the benchmark?  If they are, I wonder if Indiana, Georgetown, Syracuse, Ohio State and Stanford feel the same way?  They should according to this logic.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
TAMU Eadgle

Goose

Spot on. The reality is Crowder went to an unaccredited JC. MU had no business admitting anyone from that school.

Fact is, everyone pays lip service to the concept of student-athletes but admissions are for the latter and not the former. Having said which, the vast majority of kids on DI ships use the opportunity to improve their lives through the classroom.

Marquette letting in Crowder signaled that standards were flexible (which means you no longer have standards.) The cynicism of that move made clear the complexion of Marquette athletics had changed. And even after a series of off-court issues Bert still wanted to take risk with character-challenged recruits.

Hubris and cluelessness are often bedfellows. We should be glad to be rid of Bert.  

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »
Don't know about anyone else, but allowing Wade and Crowder to matriculate might be the best decision and second best decision the admissions department has made in the last 25 years or so in my opinion. Carry on.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
Don't know about anyone else, but allowing Wade and Crowder to matriculate might be the best decision and second best decision the admissions department has made in the last 25 years or so in my opinion. Carry on.

It's not about the specific players but the policy implications of such decisions. Admitting Crowder signaled a departure from the academic integrity Marquette had theretofore insisted upon. At the end of the day Marquette is a University which has a specific mission.

As for specifics, the last I checked neither was graduated from Marquette. Like Bill Gates, they are college drop outs who will not struggle to make ends meet.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »
Wadesworld

Not sure as simple as that, but you sound to be in the know. I had heard other rumblings that played a role in the transfer. Since you are confident in departure it is good enough for me.

I am very confident in the information I was given on this one.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
I think for this board Hiroshima is realizing that going forward Dayton has the better program.

Please step out of the mid-90s Cavalier.
Relax. Respect the Process.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »
I am very confident in the information I was given on this one.

Ganzer?

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »
Goose

Spot on. The reality is Crowder went to an unaccredited JC. MU had no business admitting anyone from that school.

He originally went to a non-accredited JUCO for one year.  But he transferred to an accredited JUCO (Howard), earned his associates degree, and met the minimum standards for participation per the NCAA.

But the issues with JUCOs is that they oftentimes will major in something like physical education.  But since Marquette doesn't have a PE major, those credits don't count toward any sort of major.  So there is no conceivable way that they can earn a degree from Marquette in a reasonable time.

The difference with McKay is that he committed early, and Marquette could help him craft a academic program at Indian Hills that would more easily transfer.  So yeah, Marquette cracked down on JUCOs, but I think the reasons were completely understandable.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
I thought it was Pipines and vanVooren.
Ganzer?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »

He originally went to a non-accredited JUCO for one year.  But he transferred to an accredited JUCO (Howard), earned his associates degree, and met the minimum standards for participation per the NCAA.

But the issues with JUCOs is that they oftentimes will major in something like physical education.  But since Marquette doesn't have a PE major, those credits don't count toward any sort of major.  So there is no conceivable way that they can earn a degree from Marquette in a reasonable time.

The difference with McKay is that he committed early, and Marquette could help him craft a academic program at Indian Hills that would more easily transfer.  So yeah, Marquette cracked down on JUCOs, but I think the reasons were completely understandable.

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
When did Dayton become the benchmark?  If they are, I wonder if Indiana, Georgetown, Syracuse, Ohio State and Stanford feel the same way?  They should according to this logic.
We are talking about MU's Hiroshima. I have no idea if posters on their boards down grade Dayton as much as posters do here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2014, 08:49:59 AM »

Welcome back Sultan
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:40 AM »
Wade if you don't put information as the fifth letter of every line of string of 43 straight haikus then it doesn't qualify as inside information around here.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »

HE IS RISEN ALLELUIA ALLELUIA  

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
Welcome back Sultan
Yeah Sultan.  Welcome Back.

While some posters may not agree with you, I have never found you full of ass-hattery, douche baggery or jack assery.

feedback