[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hiroshima?  (Read 18203 times)

goinUptown

• Scholarship Player
Hiroshima?
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
Wasn't the essence of what was termed "Hiroshima" on this board that the administration would "clean" things up in terms of not allowing JUCOs (as a matter of course) and raising academic standards for the players?  And by replacing Buzz with Wojo, it seems the administration has brought in a coach who will not pursue JUCOs and toe the line on grades.  Is this a sort of sea change at MU and in line with the concept of Hiroshima put forth earlier on this board?

goinUptown

ThatDude

• Starter
Re: Hiroshima?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »
Valid post.

You may be on to something

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
Hiroshima was also described as turning our program into SLU (St. Louis U).  Posters here freaked out at the concept.

BTW, how did SLU do this year?  How did we do this year?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:43:14 PM »
In one version of the narrative, the events known as Hiroshima did ultimately lead to Buzz leaving.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
Wasn't the essence of what was termed "Hiroshima" on this board that the administration would "clean" things up in terms of not allowing JUCOs (as a matter of course) and raising academic standards for the players?  And by replacing Buzz with Wojo, it seems the administration has brought in a coach who will not pursue JUCOs and toe the line on grades.  Is this a sort of sea change at MU and in line with the concept of Hiroshima put forth earlier on this board?

goinUptown

Not really.  IIRC, Hiroshima was to include player(s) who were eligible to play by NCAA standards, and who had met the standards that they were told they would need to meet beforehand, would be made ineligible due to standards being raised by Marquette and then applied retroactively.  This never happened, presumably because cooler heads prevailed.

Pilarz and Larry Williams were known to have dictated changes to Buzz on how some aspects of the program were to be handled, and then fired Buzz's best coaching buddy, Scott Monarch-not for a minor recruiting violation-but for lying about it initially to the athletic department.  With Pilarz let go by the BOT and then Larry Williams reportedly losing a power struggle in the athletic department with Buzz, I'm not sure how much of those changes remained in place.  In the original Hiroshima scenario, Buzz was supposed to be gone with Pilarz and Larry Williams still standing-the we'll become SLU scenario.  Instead, Pilarz and Larry Williams are both gone and Buzz has left anyway-I'll call this result (MAD) mutually assured destruction.  

We now live in a hopefully wiser post-apocalyptic world where everyone from the BOT, the University President, the AD, and the Head Basketball Coach have a similar vision that will still allow Marquette to be a major player in Division I basketball.

The End.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:56:15 PM »
Hiroshima was also described as turning our program into SLU (St. Louis U).  Posters here freaked out at the concept.

BTW, how did SLU do this year?  How did we do this year?

A SLU basketball program not driven entirely (some remain, but not enough to be virtually the entire rotation) by Rick Majerus recruits is now upon us.  We'll see if Jim Crews (who sure as hell can coach) can also recruit enough to keep SLU on the map.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
Bert's Leaving: What we feared

Bert's Leaving: The reality

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »

Weren't you the one who had that great mock-up of the Enola Gay with Pilarz's and Larry Williams' heads hanging out the windows?

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
I wasn't here at the time but is anyone aware of why Pilarz was summarily discharged? The report I got from people close to the situation is that Pilarz had a bit of a drinking problem and was acting inappropriately with students in the dorm he resided in. I'm not privvy to the details of the inappropriateness but it lead directly to his being let go and the timing of it. It wasn't the result of a power struggle with Buzz, directly anyway. Larry Williamson the other hand, I have no information on his leaving so if someone can fill that part of the story in....
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »
acting inappropriately with students in the dorm he resided

Male or female...

Death on call

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »
Male or female...
Like I said, I don't know the details of the inappropriate actions but it was enough to get him removed immediately.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 06:19:54 PM »
Weren't you the one who had that great mock-up of the Enola Gay with Pilarz's and Larry Williams' heads hanging out the windows?

I thought that was Stone Cold...?
Relax. Respect the Process.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »

You are assuming.   You haven't seen the product on the floor or whether Wojo can recruit.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 06:40:38 PM »
I thought that was Stone Cold...?

I thought Stone Cold was on hiatus for talking about lips or something

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 06:41:01 PM »

goinUptown

Nah, that was Chernobyl.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 07:18:18 PM »
You are assuming.   You haven't seen the product on the floor or whether Wojo can recruit.  

I assume nothing. You miss the point entirely.

Bert's leaving is a dud

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »

Apparently, Stone Cold got the Lindsay Lohan type of sentence.....
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »

I saw an interesting documentary recently on labioplasty. It really illustrates just how corrupt our values have become.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/perfect-vagina/

Death on call

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
I wasn't here at the time but is anyone aware of why Pilarz was summarily discharged? The report I got from people close to the situation is that Pilarz had a bit of a drinking problem and was acting inappropriately with students in the dorm he resided in. I'm not privvy to the details of the inappropriateness but it lead directly to his being let go and the timing of it. It wasn't the result of a power struggle with Buzz, directly anyway. Larry Williamson the other hand, I have no information on his leaving so if someone can fill that part of the story in....

Not at all the truth.  Fr. Pilar was let go do to poor alumni relations and very free/excessive spending of the schools money on personal items(travel/remodeling of his apartment).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »
I saw an interesting documentary recently on labioplasty. It really illustrates just how corrupt our values have become.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/perfect-vagina/

Interesting...I forgot the Brits use "fanny" differently than we do.  LOL

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 10:58:06 PM »
Interesting...I forgot the Brits use "fanny" differently than we do.  LOL

Yea, when visiting relatives in Scotland we were heading off for a trek and my wife asked about a fanny pack. She was rarely ever flustered but when she got the translation from Brit speak she was utterly speechless. I never saw her so red faced.

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 03:05:48 AM »
Pilarz/Williams banning JUCOs is a complete fabrication. The expectation that they set was that any recruit Marquette signed must be able to graduate by the time their eligibility runs out. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less. Personally, I feel this is a reasonable expectation.

The reason it got associated with JUCOs is because the policy was started because of a JUCO. There was absolutely ZERO chance that Jae Crowder was going to graduate before his eligibility ran out. He only had two years of eligibility and had less than one one year of accredited college credits. I loved Jae, great player, great human being, but we overlooked his academics to get him in.

People may notice that Jameel McKay, a JUCO, was recruited and signed during the Pilarz/Williams era.

Wojo will recruit whoever he wants. As long as they have the ability to graduate in time....and doesn't do whatever Malek Harris allegedly did
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback