'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hill and Pierce to VT per Evan Daniels.  (Read 49026 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Hill and Pierce to VT per Evan Daniels.
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
Ners, we have done this many times.   In my opinion.   From watching the games.   I saw one player on the team that deserved more minutes.   Burton.   I never saw what you did in Dawson.   I saw JJJ make too many moves that I would have pulled junior high girls for making.    I completely got what the rotations with the exception of Burton.   Buzz leaving has not changed my opinion of the faults of the 13-14 team.  That team lost a lot of close games that MU won in the previous 5 years.    Buzz's coaching style didn't change.   His rotation and reliance on upperclassmen didn't change.   His scouting and game planning didn't change.    I never once saw a single moment, substitution, play call, that, in that moment, made me think that Buzz wasn't trying or was phoning it in.    You can do message board circle jerk all you want to create this conspiracy theory, but in the end, Dawson and JJJ didn't deserve more minutes.  

I saw a coach trying something he had never done before, flash cards for the defense so they would know which pick and roll defense they were in.    I saw him come up with a new offense at halftime of one game, setting double high screens for Mayo to come around.   I saw him coaching his butt off to get MU into so many OT games down the stretch that didn't go MU's way.    All you saw was Derrick Wilson.   And because that was the only tree you could focus on, you missed the entire rest of the forest.   

I know we went around and around on last season...think it all proved itself out as far as what was going on.  I'm not going to change your mind, you aren't going to change mine.  At the end of the day...you have to perform on the basketball court to earn minutes.  I'm not sure what you see in Derrick, and can't see in Dawson to not think Dawson deserved more minutes...or JJJ for that matter.  I saw two guys in JJJ and Dawson who have far more potential than did Derrick and Jake....and they got scraps...all the while the team scuffled to a 17-15 mark missing the freaking NIT..after being picked to win Big East.

Here's the deal:  I'll wager you that MU will be better than 17-15 next season...and this is with full knowledge that we lost our best big man since Robert Jackson, Jamil Wilson, Otule, and of course Jake (which will prove to be addition by subtraction)...  We'll be small up front.  Will likely only have Cohen as a freshman on the team.  ZERO reason for the team to be better next season than what it was last season...yet I"m completely banking on Wojo to play the guys who give him the best chance to win max minutes....and the team will exceed 17-15.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
Ok guys, im slow. What does VPI stand for?

Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, popularly known as Virginia Tech.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2014, 02:29:04 PM »
Why?  Don't they know Brett doesn't give playing time to freshmen?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2014, 02:30:53 PM »
I know we went around and around on last season...think it all proved itself out as far as what was going on.  I'm not going to change your mind, you aren't going to change mine.  At the end of the day...you have to perform on the basketball court to earn minutes.  I'm not sure what you see in Derrick, and can't see in Dawson to not think Dawson deserved more minutes...or JJJ for that matter.  I saw two guys in JJJ and Dawson who have far more potential than did Derrick and Jake....and they got scraps...all the while the team scuffled to a 17-15 mark missing the freaking NIT..after being picked to win Big East.

Here's the deal:  I'll wager you that MU will be better than 17-15 next season...and this is with full knowledge that we lost our best big man since Robert Jackson, Jamil Wilson, Otule, and of course Jake (which will prove to be addition by subtraction)...  We'll be small up front.  Will likely only have Cohen as a freshman on the team.  ZERO reason for the team to be better next season than what it was last season...yet I"m completely banking on Wojo to play the guys who give him the best chance to win max minutes....and the team will exceed 17-15.

I would add the returning players will have a chip on their shoulders next year (particularly JJJ, ST, Jr. and Dawson) and be out to prove they're better than 17-15 and were badly coached to that record.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, popularly known as Virginia Tech.

Thanks

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
My source has confirmed that John Groce will be meeting with Nick Noskowiak today.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
Let me remind you if Buzz stayed all the recruits come but we have a mass exodus of existing players.

Wojo managed to keep every existing player and because of that, even losing the recruiting class (save Cohen) we will be a better team next year than if buzz stayed kept the recruits and lost JJJ, Taylor and maybe more.

Actualy, past history suggests a strong liklihood that one of the new players would be gone before the start of the season.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
Ok guys, im slow. What does VPI stand for?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »
Does Hill = Nick Williams? Talented, follows coach to lesser school, and then becomes disenchanted?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:03:37 PM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2014, 03:50:48 PM »
Let me remind you if Buzz stayed all the recruits come but we have a mass exodus of existing players.

Wojo managed to keep every existing player and because of that, even losing the recruiting class (save Cohen) we will be a better team next year than if buzz stayed kept the recruits and lost JJJ, Taylor and maybe more.

+1
Exactly!  I'd rather have know entities (JJJ & STJ) than potentially good players who may not play well at the college level.  Wojo keeping every returning player is unusual and a credit to him.  It's up to Wojo to get things built up from there.  That's the point I was trying to make with the Jamail comparison.  He was ranked even hight than Hill but it didn't work out.  Let's develop our own Warriors!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Is there something wrong with a recruit loving a school but loving a coaching staff more? It happens during every coaching change. The fact that he apologized is an extremely classy move in my opinion. Most recruits wouldn't even bother. Even if it's not genuine, it's still a classy move.

How is it a classy move if it's not genuine? Then it's a slimeball move...why even bother if you don't mean it. I bet Brent wrote the letter for him and told him to pass it off as his own.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
Does Hill = Nick Anderson? Talented, follows coach to lesser school, and then becomes disenchanted?

I see what you did there....

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
Does Hill = Nick Anderson? Talented, follows coach to lesser school, and then becomes disenchanted?

Nick Williams?
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »
How is it a classy move if it's not genuine? Then it's a slimeball move...why even bother if you don't mean it. I bet Brent wrote the letter for him and told him to pass it off as his own.

How do you know what his intentions are? What is not genuine about what he said? Did he not say he committed to MU because of his relationship with Buzz and Chew and they are now gone? Is he not now committing to Buzz and Chew? What is insincere about that? Whether you think giving a fanbase an explanation as to why you are decommitting from the school is classy or not is your opinion, but he's certainly handling it more maturely than you are. I don't know how old you are, but you sound like a butthurt 4 year old saying he wasn't sincere with what he said. How would you know? If anything, telling us he committed to MU because of his relationship with those 2 coaches and then committing to them at VT confirms what he said. Grow up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:27:10 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
How do you know what his intentions are? What is not genuine about what he said? Did he not say he committed to MU because of his relationship with Buzz and Chew and they are now gone? Is he not now committing to Buzz and Chew? What is insincere about that? Whether you think giving a fanbase an explanation as to why you are decommitting from the school is your opinion, but he's certainly handling it more maturely than you are. I don't know how old you are, but you sound like a butthurt 4 year old saying he wasn't sincere with what he said. How would you know? If anything, telling us he committed to MU because of his relationship with those 2 coaches and then committing to them at VT confirms what he said. Grow up.

Exactly.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
So Hill decommits and less than 48 hours signs with Va Tech. It's laughable that people were wishing him the best of luck and blah, blah, blah. He never considered Marquette and knew he was going with Buzz the whole time. Hill is just as phony and full of bs as Brent...I hope they go winless together.

"I hope they go winless together."

That's too bad because they won't, so I guess that you'll be frustrated.  I'm not saying that they'll win the ACC, but Buzz has shown that with some talent, he can be dangerous.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

blaaron

• Walk-On
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2014, 05:37:21 PM »
GO HOKIES!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:46 PM »
We'll see how Hill pans out with two other shooting guards in the same recruiting class. I know we all wanted Hill to stick with MU, but while he may turn out to be a good player, he's definitely replaceable recruiting wise. We currently have three players on the team (JJJ, Fischer and Burton) that were more highly rated than Hill and one (Du. Wilson) rated about the same. As a fanbase we need to move on and look forward to what's ahead.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
GO HOKIES!

Welcome to MUScoop, Bert!  You will not be forgotten here!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
How do you know what his intentions are? What is not genuine about what he said? Did he not say he committed to MU because of his relationship with Buzz and Chew and they are now gone? Is he not now committing to Buzz and Chew? What is insincere about that? Whether you think giving a fanbase an explanation as to why you are decommitting from the school is classy or not is your opinion, but he's certainly handling it more maturely than you are. I don't know how old you are, but you sound like a butthurt 4 year old saying he wasn't sincere with what he said. How would you know? If anything, telling us he committed to MU because of his relationship with those 2 coaches and then committing to them at VT confirms what he said. Grow up.

I don't know what his intentions were in writing that. If it wasn't sincere, I said I disagree that it was classy regardless. I don't think it's classy if it was insincere. You think you are the voice of reason on this board and you're not. Why don't you read what I responded to before jumping to conclusions? Oh, you are always right so you don't need to bother...telling other grown men to grow up, get a life.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:39 PM »

it's a little unfair because marquette could be worse than last year and still have a better record with a softer OOC schedule. At least compare the BE record for a more fair comparison even though it won't be completely perfect.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
Glad to see you're still president of the Milwaukee chapter of the Brent Williams fan club.
The guy is on his knees in front of Buzz with mouth agape.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2014, 07:03:13 PM »
Every coach is slimy. You dig into anyone, you will find dirt. I hope Wojo can prove me wrong but it's a hazard of the business.
Not true. Simply not true. But considering you offer this as an excuse to defend Buzz, nice try.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
I don't know what his intentions were in writing that. If it wasn't sincere, I said I disagree that it was classy regardless. I don't think it's classy if it was insincere. You think you are the voice of reason on this board and you're not. Why don't you read what I responded to before jumping to conclusions? Oh, you are always right so you don't need to bother...telling other grown men to grow up, get a life.

So the whole "I bet Brent wrote the letter for him and told him to pass it off as his own" thing was you saying you weren't sure if Hill's intentions were genuine or not.  Pretty weird thing to throw in there if you weren't accusing him of not being genuine with it ::).  Maybe think (use some reason?  I can help you with that) before you write that next time then.