[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hill and Pierce to VT per Evan Daniels.  (Read 48948 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Hill and Pierce to VT per Evan Daniels.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
I'll probably get bashed for saying this, but the whole self serving open letter to MU fans or whatever that was from Hill was a bunch of b.s. IMO.  He loved Buzz and Chew, period.  Proven today by the coach and bottom feeder school he chose.  I don't wish him any ill will, but all that was said about what a classy kid he was based on that, I'm not gullible enough to buy what he tried to peddle.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
The nine players left on the current Marquette roster know BW and Chew better than the recruits who have signed with VPI.  Have you noticed none of the MU players have expressed an interest in going to Blacksburg?  Those two former employees are great headhunters, particularly when they can work with an unlimited recruiting budget.  In that area they are some of the best in the business.

You make another bet with your buddies on Dodds' Board? I thought you looked down on Scoop so why are you posting here? We're the crude, vulgar, uncouth crowd, remember?

I heard Dodds is putting out the cucumber sandwiches so best run along.

Death on call

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
Here's part of the problem with hiring a blue blood assistant - the players that he has relationships are those that are committed to Duke. And they're not leaving K for Wojo, and they're not leaving Duke for MU. This is a bad look for Wojo, and first impressions matter. He's going to have to prove that Buzz severely undercoached this team (likely) to salvage what has been a bad start to the off-season.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
It is what it is. Marquette will be fine, we have a much better person now as our coach. I'll be interested to see how much these two contribute next year. With Hill, Va, Tech now has three shooting guards in their 2014 class Why anyone would choose to play hoops at Va. Tech when they had offers from much better schools is beyond me.

"much better person".   How do you know that?    cause he looks more like a country club kid?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 11:17:04 AM »
Here's part of the problem with hiring a blue blood assistant - the players that he has relationships are those that are committed to Duke. And they're not leaving K for Wojo, and they're not leaving Duke for MU. This is a bad look for Wojo, and first impressions matter. He's going to have to prove that Buzz severely undercoached this team (likely) to salvage what has been a bad start to the off-season.

So your point is we should not have hired Wojo because he could not bring recruits with him?

Are we that short-sighted?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »

This is true, but it also is a short-term viewpoint.

Hiring an assistant might have cost us a recruit or two this season (or might not have). Hiring a great coach will benefit us for years to come. It is up to Wojo to prove that he is a great coach.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Are we that short-sighted?

What do you mean?

Where are the damn recruits, WO JO?

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
Everyone is saying that because of Buzz's slimy history.  Coach Wojo has no history as a slimebag, his reputation is a polar opposite in fact.

Every coach is slimy. You dig into anyone, you will find dirt. I hope Wojo can prove me wrong but it's a hazard of the business.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »
Glad to see you're still president of the Milwaukee chapter of the Brent Williams fan club.

Nope. Glad he's gone. All about CoWojo now.

But I'm not a fan of revisionist history and hypocrisy.
TAMU

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 11:25:24 AM »
If Hill cant play at least 25-30 MPG at VT something is wrong.....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »
But I'm not a fan of revisionist history and hypocrisy.

Hoop??!!

Death on call

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
Frankly I don't understand why MU didn't put restrictions on where these kids could go... ie Big East schools and VT.  That seems to be a pretty common practice, isn't it?  I get the idea of not holding it against the kids but MU put a LOT of money into recruiting them.  Brett should not get the benefit of that expense at another school.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »
Frankly I don't understand why MU didn't put restrictions on where these kids could go... ie Big East schools and VT.  That seems to be a pretty common practice, isn't it?  I get the idea of not holding it against the kids but MU put a LOT of money into recruiting them.  Brett should not get the benefit of that expense at another school.

I've heard the rules are different for kids who are yet to set foot on campus.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »
Every coach is slimy. You dig into anyone, you will find dirt. I hope Wojo can prove me wrong but it's a hazard of the business.

You didn't have to dig to find it with Buzz, did you?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:39 AM »
I'll probably get bashed for saying this, but the whole self serving open letter to MU fans or whatever that was from Hill was a bunch of b.s. IMO.  He loved Buzz and Chew, period.  Proven today by the coach and bottom feeder school he chose.  I don't wish him any ill will, but all that was said about what a classy kid he was based on that, I'm not gullible enough to buy what he tried to peddle.

Is there something wrong with a recruit loving a school but loving a coaching staff more? It happens during every coaching change. The fact that he apologized is an extremely classy move in my opinion. Most recruits wouldn't even bother. Even if it's not genuine, it's still a classy move.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
You didn't have to dig to find it with Buzz, did you?

No you really didn't need to. He was slimy starting in 2008. No one seemed to mind though until he started losing
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:59 AM »

It's a terrible PR move. We come off looking like the jilted lover.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
Is there something wrong with a recruit loving a school but loving a coaching staff more?

Death on call

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 11:39:24 AM »
So Buzz got two guys that he already got and he's off to a great start?  Who cares?  This is fairly common in coaching changes...not unique to MU.  I personally dislike Blacksburg, VA.  Charlottsville is much nicer.  MU is at a slight disadvantage today but will be better off in the long run.

burger

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 11:41:51 AM »
Soon as Chew signed.....

His under the table work was done.....

Told you guys.....

Too bad Ahmed bought into the whole line of BS.....

The Depaul of the ACC......Please.....

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »

You can't put restrictions on an NLI release. 

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 11:46:58 AM »
I am still not 100% convinced that Hill ends up at Vtech.  There is nothing binding him to Vtech as he can't sign another NLI.  You don't think if the Harrison twins decide to go in the NBA draft that Ky may be looking for some back court help?  Until these kids are enrolled and on campus, they are still free agents. 

HoyaPotter

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »

That was the main problem with hiring an assistant coach like Wojo instead of a head coach like Shaka, Cuonzo Martin, Butt, etc in the short run.  An assistant coach is not going to be able to bring his recruits over like a head coach can.

I think we all knew that Butt was going to be bringing over Ahmed Hill and some others with him when he bolted. Wojo well knew that this would happen when he took the Marquette job, so he must have been prepared and ok with the exodus.  It also indicates that Wojo is in this for the long haul and that it may take a year or two before Wojo can get his players.

Wojo took the job because of the money at his disposal with the Marquette program and I expect him to use it to it's fullest.  Also because Marquette, the Hoyas, St. Johns, Villanova along with Duke and Louisville already use the $100K SportVU advanced tracking system.

http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/03/the-rise-of-expensive-basketball-statistics-is-bad-news-for-cinderellas/359651/

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
Funny that Buzz is slimy and providing schtick for Hill and Pierce to go to VT.

But we would be singing Wojo's praises if he convinced some of those Dookies to follow him.

Just saying

TAMU -

I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank you for this post.  The landscape and nature of college basketball requires people to get their hands a little dirty.  To pretend it doesn't happen is being naive.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

HoyaPotter

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »
I am still not 100% convinced that Hill ends up at Vtech.  There is nothing binding him to Vtech as he can't sign another NLI.  You don't think if the Harrison twins decide to go in the NBA draft that Ky may be looking for some back court help?  Until these kids are enrolled and on campus, they are still free agents. 

UK already has 6-6 205 Devin Booker and point guard Tyler Ulis coming in.  Both 5 star Mcdonald's All Americans.  Ahmed Hill would probably be below their standards as only a 4 star.

And what does it matter anyway UK, VT, Hill is not going to end up back in the Big East.

feedback