[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shayok Update  (Read 5948 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Shayok Update
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »
So you're Saying their is a chance???

After Marquette Decommitment, Shayok Considering Several Options
April 18th, 2014 7:38 pm

http://zagsblog.com/articles/after-marquette-decommitment-shayok-considering-several-options/

After decommitting from Marquette in the wake of the coaching change, Marial Shayok is considering several options going forward.

“I’m still considering Marquette, still trying to see how I feel about the new coach. Virginia, Indiana and I’m getting some interest from Florida and Michigan,” the 6-foot-7 Shayok told SNY.tv after going for 12 points as the Away team lost to the Home team, 102-99, in the Jordan Regional Game at Barclays Center.

Shayok, out of Blair (N.J.) Academy and the CIA Bounce AAU outfit, has no visits planned, but hopes to decide soon. The late signing period runs April 16-May 21.

Asked when he hopes to decide, he said, “Maybe in the next couple weeks, a week. I don’t know, I’m still trying to figure it out.”

New Marquette coach Steve “Wojo” Wojciechowski has been in touch to try to keep Shayok in the fold at the Big East school.

“I talk to him a lot, I talk to him every other day,” he said. “Still trying to get to know each other.”

He added: “Different program. He feels like he’s going to win very soon, like he’s going to do well with the program and I’ll have a lot of opportunity playing. He just wants me to trust him right now.”

Virginia, a No. 1 seed in the recent NCAA Tournament, was in the mix for Shayok before he chose Marquette in the fall.

“I had a great visit to Virginia and me and coach [Tony] Bennett have a great relationship,” Shayok said.”I love the team and they’re on the right track right now, so that’s good.”

Indiana is another option.

“I’m still getting to know Coach [Tom] Crean,” Shayok said. “I feel they have a great development program. He showed me a lot of tapes on Victor Oladipo coming in and coming out so that was quite interesting.”

Michigan and Florida have also reached out to Shayok, who said he was surprised when Coach Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech.

“Yeah, it was definitely tough,” he said. “I look at it as a great blessing I guess because now people have multiple scholarships.”

He said Williams has also reached out, but, “I’m not too interested in Virginia Tech.”

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Shayok Update
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
Interesting. Wojo trying to make up a lot of yardage. Of the four recruits, it seems like Wojo really targeted Cohen and Shayok. Hill and Pierce, not so much.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »

http://zagsblog.com/articles/after-marquette-decommitment-shayok-considering-several-options/

After decommitting from Marquette in the wake of the coaching change, Marial Shayok is considering several options going forward.

“I’m still considering Marquette, still trying to see how I feel about the new coach. Virginia, Indiana and I’m getting some interest from Florida and Michigan,” the 6-foot-7 Shayok told SNY.tv after going for 12 points as the Away team lost to the Home team, 102-99, in the Jordan Regional Game at Barclays Center.

New Marquette coach Steve “Wojo” Wojciechowski has been in touch to try to keep Shayok in the fold at the Big East school.

“I talk to him a lot, I talk to him every other day,” he said. “Still trying to get to know each other.”

He added: “Different program. He feels like he’s going to win very soon, like he’s going to do well with the program and I’ll have a lot of opportunity playing. He just wants me to trust him right now.”

He said Williams has also reached out, but, “I’m not too interested in Virginia Tech.”

Lot's of interesting quotes....based on his comments seems evident he wants to go to a program that can win and will win soon.  The fact he's not interested in VaTech speaks to his desire to play for a winning program.  Think Shayock will be one of those hard nosed players that helps you win games, but won't show up a ton in the box score - ceiling could perhaps be a Jimmy Butler type player when Jimmy was a junior...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:17:50 AM »
That would be great if he could become a Jimmy Butler type talent. Butler was a solid player who would do
everything and he became the go to guy his senior year, he was one of my favorite players.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 09:21:34 AM »
That would be great if he could become a Jimmy Butler type talent. Butler was a solid player who would do
everything and he became the go to guy his senior year, he was one of my favorite players.

From the little I've seen of Shayok - he isn't quite the athlete Jimmy is/was - but has similar intangible qualities..tough, hard nosed, smart on the floor, team player.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »

Shayok, out of Blair (N.J.) Academy and the CIA Bounce AAU outfit, has no visits planned, but hopes to decide soon. The late signing period runs April 16-May 21.

Asked when he hopes to decide, he said, “Maybe in the next couple weeks, a week. I don’t know, I’m still trying to figure it out.”

Virginia, a No. 1 seed in the recent NCAA Tournament, was in the mix for Shayok before he chose Marquette in the fall.

“I had a great visit to Virginia and me and coach [Tony] Bennett have a great relationship,” Shayok said.”I love the team and they’re on the right track right now, so that’s good.”

Indiana is another option.

“I’m still getting to know Coach [Tom] Crean,” Shayok said. “I feel they have a great development program. He showed me a lot of tapes on Victor Oladipo coming in and coming out so that was quite interesting.”

Michigan and Florida have also reached out to Shayok, who said he was surprised when Coach Buzz Williams left for Virginia Tech.

“Yeah, it was definitely tough,” he said. “I look at it as a great blessing I guess because now people have multiple scholarships.”

Very impressive interview.

Shayok sounds mature, motivated, intelligent and coachable. Here's hoping Wojo can get him to come back to Warrior Nation!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 11:26:47 AM »
Sure sounds like UVA and Bennett are the clear frontrunners- the others have ground to make up.

I said it last night and will say it again, I can believe he opened up the recruiting circus again only to land again at MU.  I don't think he's coming here.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »
"I'm not too interested in Virginia Tech, right now."

Shayok now sees the landscape and realizes VT is a piece of crap, second-tier school to the rest of the options.

Too bad Hill didn't see what he sees.

BTW, where's Jamie McNeilly? Did he go with Bert? Character revealed?
Found this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWQ3Bz6Zdc
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:28:11 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
"I'm not too interested in Virginia Tech, right now."

Shayok now sees the landscape and realizes VT is a piece of crap, second-tier school to the rest of the options.

Too bad Hill didn't see what he sees.

BTW, where's Jamie McNeilly? Did he go with Bert? Character revealed?
Found this gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWQ3Bz6Zdc

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
So, scoopers, would you rather see Shayok with Buzz at VT or Crean at IU?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »

Crean.
Shayok isn't as highly rated as others who could end up having Crean sitting on their laps.
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »

With Mike Deane at JMU

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »
Between the two, I think he has the best chance to get to the league under Buzz, as he seems to have the physical attributes that Buzz has been successful developing.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Between the two, I think he has the best chance to get to the league under Buzz, as he seems to have the physical attributes that Buzz has been successful developing.   

A bit obtuse, don't you think?

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 03:14:48 PM »

Buzz doesn't have much of a list of guys from the high school ranks he has developed into the league.  Just Vander, who may or may not have a lasting career there.  Everyone else was a JUCO.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
Sure sounds like UVA and Bennett are the clear frontrunners- the others have ground to make up.

I said it last night and will say it again, I can believe he opened up the recruiting circus again only to land again at MU.  I don't think he's coming here.

UVA would be my leader too. They have a lot to offer.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
Even if the guys were juco, Buzz still got em to the nba. That's a big deal and gives home bonafides. He WAS. A really good coach guys, if anyone remembers.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
He WAS. A great recruiter. He IS a below average coach. Big difference. And I remember saw everyone of the MU games he coached either in person or on TV.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »

Crean at IU.  Half of our (I mean Buzz's) recruiting class going to VT is enough.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
He WAS. A great recruiter. He IS a below average coach. Big difference. And I remember saw everyone of the MU games he coached either in person or on TV.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »
SS Marquette