[Today at 09:08:51 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: My two cents  (Read 6108 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: My two cents
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
I think the FB thing is overrated.... Or as you stated NO FB to compete with.

"You're gonna play at FLA?....you know football is king in Gainsville, right? Can't believe you would ever play somewhere where Bball is not #1---good luck"

Fun fact about FLA

Even though the NCAA tournament started in the 1930s, their first appearance was 1987.  Between 1987 and 1999 then made it 5 times.

Then Billy Donavan started in Gainesville and everything changed.  So, before Donavon they were no different than Auburn or Mississippi State ... Largely invisible and a non factor.

Their entire pedigree, legacy and history in college basketball can be summed up in 2 words, Billy Donovan.

One day he leaves.  When that happens, do they stay "Florida" or the revert back to being another Mississippi State?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 08:37:24 PM »
Fun fact about FLA

Even though the NCAA tournament started in the 1930s, their first appearance was 1987.  Between 1987 and 1999 then made it 5 times.

Then Billy Donavan started in Gainesville and everything changed.  So, before Donavon they were no different than Auburn or Mississippi State ... Largely invisible and a non factor.

Their entire pedigree, legacy and history in college basketball can be summed up in 2 words, Billy Donovan.

One day he leaves.  When that happens, do they stay "Florida" or the revert back to being another Mississippi State?

Stay Florida.  They will get whoever they want to coach there, with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 coaches.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
Stay Florida.  They will get whoever they want to coach there, with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 coaches.

I agree. Again, thanks for Donovan...and indirectly Pitino, I guess.
SS Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 03:20:58 PM »
Fun fact about FLA

I can remember both Florida and Florida State (maybe in back to back years) playing as glorified buy game opponents in the Milwaukee Classic.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
I can remember both Florida and Florida State (maybe in back to back years) playing as glorified buy game opponents in the Milwaukee Classic.

I was there in '68 or '69 for Florida State. Definitely not a patsy when they had a future Hall-of-Famer at center.

My dad took me to the game cuz another team in that classic was LSU with Maravich. He was fascinating to watch and would have averaged in the 50's if they had 3 pointers back then - but Dave Cowens was easy to spot as the best player in the Classic over Maravich and George Thompson.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 03:39:03 PM »
I was there in '68 or '69 for Florida State. Definitely not a patsy when they had a future Hall-of-Famer at center.

My dad took me to the game cuz another team in that classic was LSU with Maravich. He was fascinating to watch and would have averaged in the 50's if they had 3 pointers back then - but Dave Cowens was easy to spot as the best player in the Classic over Maravich and George Thompson.

I was thinking of sometime in the 80's.  Hard to believe that MU got Pistol Pete and Dave Cowens to the same Milwaukee Classic given the very low level of participants at the end of the classic's days.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »
There were no buy games during the Dukiet era.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback