[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: My two cents  (Read 6058 times)

ThatDude

• Starter
My two cents
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »
I know many of you may not respect my 2 cent because this is my first post but i'm not surprised recruits are de-committing. I expected that to happen. Wojo is a young, unproven, rookie coach. Heck, if I were a recruit I would be hesitant to commit to Marquette as well being that Wojo doesnt have a track record. Yes he coached under Coach K at Duke so thats the hype. Maybe we have the next Brad Stevens:) This situation is intriguing!

The million dollar question(s) is: Can Wojo recruit top players to come to Marquette? And/or Will he be an above average head coach?

We shall soon find out...

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: My two cents
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
I know many of you may not respect my 2 cent because this is my first post but i'm not surprised recruits are de-committing. I expected that to happen. Wojo is a young, unproven, rookie coach. Heck, if I were a recruit I would be hesitant to commit to Marquette as well being that Wojo doesnt have a track record. Yes he coached under Coach K at Duke so thats the hype. Maybe we have the next Brad Stevens:) This situation is intriguing!

The million dollar question(s) is: Can Wojo recruit top players to come to Marquette? And/or Will he be an above average head coach?

I'm not surprised recruits are de-committing because Wojo is a new coach at Marquette.  Period.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:58 PM »
I'm not surprised recruits are de-committing.  ANYTIME there is a coaching change, kids will have a change of heart.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:56:42 PM »
I'm not surprised recruits are de-committing.  ANYTIME there is a coaching change, kids will have a change of heart.

This.

It happens A LOT.
The only time it doesn't happen is if you're a blue blood program.

If kids love the attention, MU can be the place: NO FB to compete with; one of the top spending/investing programs in men's BB in the country; perenially top 15 attendance crowds.

I understand that they first come in contact with the recruiter and not the university, and that's why people decommit. It's life.

So I guess what you're saying is being coached by and playing for Coach K at De Anza JC is more meaningful than being coached by and playing for Wojo at MU.
SS Marquette

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
This.

It happens A LOT.

If kids love the attention, MU can be the place: NO FB to compete with; one of the top spending/investing programs in men's BB in the country; perenially top 15 attendance crowds.

I understand that they first come in contact with the recruiter and not the university, and that's why people decommit. It's life.

So I guess what you're saying is being coached by and playing for Coach K at De Anza JC is more meaningful than being coached by and playing for Wojo at MU.

In regards to your De Anza JC statement

What im saying is if Wojo was the head coach at Duke there wouldnt be any de-commits.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:08:48 PM by Playnogames »

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »

What im saying is put if Wojo was the head coach at Duke there wouldnt be any de-commits.

What I'm saying is, you referred to an "unproven, young" coach in Wojo. Yes, he hasn't been a HC but was Coach K's top asst which means running a team short of being the guy who has the final say is something Wojo has been exposed to and has done.

Hence, the De Anza JC comment: obviously you value experience with your statement, so would a player commit to a more experienced coach at a lesser known college program, or to an inexperienced coach at a more successful and more highly profiled program?
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

What im saying is if Wojo was the head coach at Duke there wouldnt be any de-commits.
You have no idea if this is true

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »
What I'm saying is, you referred to an "unproven, young" coach in Wojo. Yes, he hasn't been a HC but was Coach K's top asst which means running a team short of being the guy who has the final say is something Wojo has been exposed to and has done.

Hence, the De Anza JC comment: obviously you value experience with your statement, so would a player commit to a more experienced coach at a lesser known college program, or to an inexperienced coach at a more successful and more highly profiled program?

That would depend on the player and how he views the school. If a player chooses to play for an unproven coach, that player loves/likes the school.

The head coach is important to getting players to commit, buy never underestimate the role that actual university plays on it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:48:53 PM by Playnogames »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »
Not big on excuses.

That said, he's got to be given time although he's had 10 years as an assistant at a top school.  He should have some relationships established throughout the country and not just scouting these north woods bigs.

Be nice to get Wojo's name mentioned with some open recruits, this year or next.   Know we're not just getting ino on Wisconsin marginal prospects.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:30:28 PM »

Look what Larry Brown has done at SMU. A name coach absolutely can get big name recruits to no name programs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Look what Larry Brown has done at SMU. A name coach absolutely can get big name recruits to no name programs.

True. Buzz Williams seems ready to get at least one soon.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 04:44:58 PM »

Do you really think Larry Brown got recruits to SMU on his name? Try again. Probably had a small part. $ played a bigger part.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
You have to remember the recruits not only committed to MU because of their relationship with Buzz, but they also committed because of his style. Hill and Shayok wanted to play in Buzz' switchable system. They really do not know what kind of system Wojo is going to run.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
You have to remember the recruits not only committed to MU because of their relationship with Buzz, but they also committed because of his style. Hill and Shayok wanted to play in Buzz' switchable system. They really do not know what kind of system Wojo is going to run.

Great point.  I believe he has more to do with these developments than he is getting credit.  It is interesting how close to the vest things are being played.  I kinda like it.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:55 PM »
How long b4 Buzz signs those 3 guys?

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »
How long b4 Buzz signs those 3 guys?

Per this little Zagsblog update, MU still in the mix with Shayok, and he has no interest in VTech!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
I'm not surprised recruits are de-committing because Wojo is a new coach at Marquette.  Period.

I'm not surprised recruits are de-committing because Buzzard evidently had a sophisticated plan to re-recruit them to VT which he began to implement immediately when he ran off a big he didn't like during his first meeting with the team and then got an incoming SG recruit to get lost.

It was really slick how Coach Chew did not get hired immediately at VT, so Chew could legally talk to MU's recruits before they were let out of their LOI.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »

Let's be clear... the expression is "my two cents WORTH".  Which brings us to the point that while we have received your two cents worth, we have yet to receive your two cents, thereby allowing you to provide your two cents worth, ROOKIE!

Your first post has now been officially hazed, making you an official Scoop member.  Please email one of the moderators for details of the official handshake.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:54:02 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
Per this little Zagsblog update, MU still in the mix with Shayok, and he has no interest in VTech!

Think it's naïve to think Shayok will end up at MU after all.  Why in the world would he go to all of the trouble in reopening his recruitment, getting out of his LOI, being harassed, i.e. full court press of constant recruiting pitches again by coaches and assistants all over the country, only to land again at MU?  I give it about a 1% chance.  If I'm wrong, I'll gladly have my crow dinner, but I don't think I will be.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »
Think it's naïve to think Shayok will end up at MU after all.  Why in the world would he go to all of the trouble in reopening his recruitment, getting out of his LOI, being harassed, i.e. full court press of constant recruiting pitches again by coaches and assistants all over the country, only to land again at MU?  I give it about a 1% chance.  If I'm wrong, I'll gladly have my crow dinner, but I don't think I will be.
probably, but if VT is indeed out of the picture, there is a decent chance he checks out some other gigs and decides it was MU all along.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »
probably, but if VT is indeed out of the picture, there is a decent chance he checks out some other gigs and decides it was MU all along.

Maybe he already bought a gold Warriors t-shirt and doesn't want it to go to waste.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 12:25:18 AM »

Maybe he already bought a gold Warriors t-shirt and doesn't want it to go to waste.

From the guy who was shilling t-shirts last week for "charity"

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:04 AM »

Cohen was ready to run when he heard the news but he's back in the fold.

It's important to remember, these players have just asked for permission to officially look at other schools. That doesn't mean that Wojo has stopped recruiting them. Is it likely they will come back? My gut tells me no. But I think Wojo will make an effort to keep the players he wants.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
This.

It happens A LOT.

I think the FB thing is overrated.... Or as you stated NO FB to compete with.

"You're gonna play at FLA?....you know football is king in Gainsville, right? Can't believe you would ever play somewhere where Bball is not #1---good luck"

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
I think the FB thing is overrated.... Or as you stated NO FB to compete with.

"You're gonna play at FLA?....you know football is king in Gainsville, right? Can't believe you would ever play somewhere where Bball is not #1---good luck"

Yeah, to some the FB thing may be overrated but look at the Final Four: two were FB schools (WI and FL) and the others have FB programs but they're not the #1 sport at their university (UConn and UK).
SS Marquette

feedback