[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Three Open Scholarships  (Read 5651 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Three Open Scholarships
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
Not a surprise so many recruits bolted.  They don't know Wojo, and in many cases, they might not have even heard of Wojo until April 2 (many of these kids are not fans of the game like us).  Cohen said he never heard of Wojo before April 2.

When Brent took over he was able to retain Otule, Butler and Fulce because he was already an assistant here and recruited those guys to come here.  Big difference than an assistant from another program that these kids never heard of.  What they did is what Ty Taylor/Hurley did, cannot commit to play for a coach they know nothing about.  It's a reasonable decision.

So we have three open scholarships.  10 players is not enough, barely enough to hold a scrimmage.  Wojo HAS TO get AT LEAST 2 more bodies.  You never ever ever want to "bank scholarships."  That is nothing but a self-imposed penalty.

Does anyone have names that are seriously considering MU, not fantasies like Horford?

This is Wojo's second big test, his first big test was keeping the existing team from blowing apart. And for the first time since Brent took over, we have a semester with no transfers.

jsglow

• All American
Re: Three Open Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
We know about Cohen and Hill.  Do we have definitive decisions from the rest of the 2014 class?

Lacrosse218

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
Pierce released from NLI today or yesterday.  Shayok released from NLI last week.  Malek Harris never signed though we are still in his top 5.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:08 AM »
It is not worth wasting a scholarship just to find a body for practice, find 2 walk-ons then give a second rate player a scholarship.  Let Wojo build a program starting next fall, it will be very
interesting to see how he does.  Buzz was a recruiting alcoholic, really was all over the place.  The state of Wisconsin has some talent next year, lets see how he does there and Chi is 90 miles away.  The honeymoon is over, working with the players, meeting the alumni, time to roll up his sleeves and recruit like a madman.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:37:28 AM »
Yup, no surprise that the highly ranked recruiting class is now defunct.    It happens whenever there is a transition.    Wojo has done well to keep the existing team together.    Cohen was essentially low hanging fruit.   Wojo is starting from way behind, as Duke was done recruiting for '14 and he wasn't really planning this move a month ago.   If he lands any quality players for the 14-15 season, I will be impressed.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
Don't want the butcher, baker, or candlestick maker.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:45 AM »
It is not worth wasting a scholarship just to find a body for practice, find 2 walk-ons then give a second rate player a scholarship.  Let Wojo build a program starting next fall, it will be very
interesting to see how he does.  Buzz was a recruiting alcoholic, really was all over the place.  The state of Wisconsin has some talent next year, lets see how he does there and Chi is 90 miles away.  The honeymoon is over, working with the players, meeting the alumni, time to roll up his sleeves and recruit like a madman.

We have one junior (Taylor) so two jucos with two years of eligibility would be perfect to balance off the classes.  The third can go to the best available unsigned high schooler Wojo can land.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 09:49:49 AM »
Not a surprise so many recruits bolted.  They don't know Wojo, and in many cases, they might not have even heard of Wojo until April 2 (many of these kids are not fans of the game like us).  Cohen said he never heard of Wojo before April 2.

When Brent took over he was able to retain Otule, Butler and Fulce because he was already an assistant here and recruited those guys to come here.  Big difference than an assistant from another program that these kids never heard of.  What they did is what Ty Taylor/Hurley did, cannot commit to play for a coach they know nothing about.  It's a reasonable decision.

So we have three open scholarships.  10 players is not enough, barely enough to hold a scrimmage.  Wojo HAS TO get AT LEAST 2 more bodies.  You never ever ever want to "bank scholarships."  That is nothing but a self-imposed penalty.

Does anyone have names that are seriously considering MU, not fantasies like Horford?

This is Wojo's second big test, his first big test was keeping the existing team from blowing apart. And for the first time since Brent took over, we have a semester with no transfers.

If need be Wojo can get walk-ons to have enough bodies for a scrimmage.

Your comments almost sound like Wojo needs to land a high-level recruit or two or he's in danger of failing miserably. I don't know of any specific players we are recruiting for the 2014 class, but there's not many uncommitted high-level players out there...except Myles Turner. I feel confident Wojo will come up with some players, but I think it's a bit early in his tenure to start putting "or else" conditions on anything.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »
We have one junior (Taylor) so two jucos with two years of eligibility would be perfect to balance off the classes.  The third can go to the best available unsigned high schooler Wojo can land.

I am not sure Wojo has any connections with JC coaches, he is not recruited the JC arena I am sure, Duke never needed to take JC kids and I am sure the academics at Duke do not relate to
those types of players. He can get a graduate transfer which is the way to go.  Maybe bring in one of those.  Then recruit 4 kids next year and as the junior class is empty with just Steve
Taylor.  Get 2 or 3 more players in that year then.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
Once Haith leaves Missou, time to go poach this guy who holds a MU offer from Brett...

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/JaKeenan-Gant-20704/RecruitInterests

Also, might be able to get in on this guy but he didn't have a MU or Duke offer...

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Namon-Wright-25108/RecruitInterests

If Painter does bolt Purdue for Missou, then hey have some intriguing options including a top 100 7'1" center...

http://purdue.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Commits

"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »
Once Haith leaves Missou, time to go poach this guy who holds a MU offer from Brett...

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/JaKeenan-Gant-20704/RecruitInterests

Also, might be able to get in on this guy but he didn't have a MU or Duke offer...

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Namon-Wright-25108/RecruitInterests

If Painter does bolt Purdue for Missou, then hey have some intriguing options including a top 100 7'1" center...

http://purdue.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Commits

Gant would be a huge get if we could pull that off.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
We have 10 solid players that all will want and need minutes .No need to rush . He can focus on the transfers and foreign to find a couple bigs.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
We have 10 solid players that all will want and need minutes .No need to rush . He can focus on the transfers and foreign to find a couple bigs.

I agree, make those 10 happy next year, add one big if you can find somebody who can play.  I always feel that the 12th and 13th man on a team never are two happy.  It happened last year with to many players. Particularly playing the wrong players. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
I hear Jabari Parker is leaving Duke... go get him Woj.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
Not many Jucos of quality left at this point.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »
We have 10 11 solid players that all will want and need minutes .No need to rush . He can focus on the transfers and foreign to find a couple bigs.

Mr Dylan Flood

Death on call

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
I am not sure Wojo has any connections with JC coaches, he is not recruited the JC arena I am sure, Duke never needed to take JC kids and I am sure the academics at Duke do not relate to
those types of players. He can get a graduate transfer which is the way to go.  Maybe bring in one of those.  Then recruit 4 kids next year and as the junior class is empty with just Steve
Taylor.  Get 2 or 3 more players in that year then.

I believe Duke has a rule that limits the number of jucos relative to the number of kids that qualified out of high school. I think the ratio is 1:20 student athletes. If I had to guess, most of the jucos that Duke admits are football players. 85 scholarships. Redshirts. Transfers. Season-ending injuries. Career-ending injuries. It's almost impossible to NOT recruit jucos for football from time to time.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »
It will be interesting to see how Wojo attacks this.  In my mind, we really just need one big body to eat some minutes and give us some fouls.  Buzz played too many different lineups anyway, its nice to be able to go 12 deep, but not necessary (see MU '09-'10). 

PG:  Duane / Derrick
SG: Mayo / Dawson
SG2: JJJ / Cohen
F1: Burton /Juan
F2: Taylor / Fischer

Add another big and we'll have plenty enough to compete next season and will be a much more fun team to watch.  Then we'll see what Wojo can do with a full season to recruit...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »

One guy has a bad season, one guy gets hurt and another has the flu. ... Then we're trying to win at tOSU with Dylan Flood playing 15 minutes.

Get bodies!!!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 01:11:32 PM »
Don't worry.  We've got plenty of talent up north.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »
Where is WOJO in regards to Stone. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:53 PM »
It will be interesting to see how Wojo attacks this.  In my mind, we really just need one big body to eat some minutes and give us some fouls.  Buzz played too many different lineups anyway, its nice to be able to go 12 deep, but not necessary (see MU '09-'10). 

PG:  Duane / Derrick
SG: Mayo / Dawson
SG2: JJJ / Cohen
F1: Burton /Juan
F2: Taylor / Fischer

Add another big and we'll have plenty enough to compete next season and will be a much more fun team to watch.  Then we'll see what Wojo can do with a full season to recruit...

I agree with this. Pierce would have been valuable to take up space and commit fouls, if nothing else. We could use another big body. Beyond that, we've got plenty -- as long as the plenty (Duane, JJJ, Cohen, Fischer) turn out to be as good as advertised.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Marlon Jones
Naimon Wright
TBD

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
I see Idrissa Diallo, who Marquette was at least somewhat involved with under Brett has decommitted from California. Certainly a big body. Tommy TanCreano seems to be after him pretty hard.

http://247sports.com/Player/Idrissa-Diallo-21157
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 04:25:24 PM »
One guy has a bad season, one guy gets hurt and another has the flu. ... Then we're trying to win at tOSU with Dylan Flood playing 15 minutes.

Get bodies!!!

For your scenario to happen 3 or 4 guys would have to be out of commission. How many teams play all their guys appreciable minutes every game?

feedback