[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Satchel Pierce released from his NLI  (Read 13155 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Pierce released from NLI
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
You should go back to your old avatar -- cranky old man was much more appropriate for you.

Sorry, but I'm not going to fall all over myself thanking a recruit for briefly gracing MU with his presence.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
I at least find it interesting (if not strange) that I've yet to see an official announcement from Marquette on ANY of these releases... I don't know what to take from that. I would expect some kind of official word.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
I at least find it interesting (if not strange) that I've yet to see an official announcement from Marquette on ANY of these releases... I don't know what to take from that. I would expect some kind of official word.
4:50 PM on Friday afternoon.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

I don't find that strange, but I do find it strange that these releases were probably handed out over a week ago and we are just hearing about them now. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not going to fall all over myself thanking a recruit for briefly gracing MU with his presence.
It's called having class yo
No Finish Line

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Don't think we will see a news release on the NLI releases.  did not happen in 2008 either.  suspect acknowledgment by Wojo to Michael Hunt is all we will see.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
It's called having class yo

I didn't slam him. I just never pretended he was the second coming. What you call class...I call phony.

He doesn't want to be part of MU. Fine.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
I didn't slam him. I just never pretended he was the second coming. What you call class...I call phony.

He doesn't want to be part of MU. Fine.
I'd say claiming he's "not a loss" is taking a parting shot. Unless of course you would've claimed he brought nothing to the table had he stuck to his commitment. If not that would've been phony
No Finish Line

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »

I agree. What is there to thank them for? Thanks for tying up a commitment and then leaving at the 11th hour when there's really nobody to replace you with. I don't wish these kids any ill will, but to thank them and wish them the best?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »
I know the standard cry, but the truth is when signing and NLI there is no confusion as to what you're committing to - a particular school - and what you are NOT committing to - a coach.

I'm generally fine with kids and schools going their separate ways after a coaching change, but the fact is that for many of these kids their word (and contract) is not their bond. They are taught to not honor commitments. It's the norm.

But, this is the world we live in.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Satchel Pierce released from his NLI
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
Interesting that the classless douche is trying to attract all these recruits to VT. Don't believe that for one moment he was not recruiting them to VT even before they were released. What an arshluck.

Like any other coach in america would do  ::)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
I'd say claiming he's "not a loss" is taking a parting shot. Unless of course you would've claimed he brought nothing to the table had he stuck to his commitment. If not that would've been phony

I wasn't sold from the beginning. I saw a player with limited skills...someone who Brent would park on the bench for at least his first two years.

I don't consider "not a loss" a slam. Although in this current sensitive world, I can see where some delicate flowers may take offense. Especially kids who are told from birth that they're amazing, perfect, and their sh*t smells like roses.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
I know the standard cry, but the truth is when signing and NLI there is no confusion as to what you're committing to - a particular school - and what you are NOT committing to - a coach.

I'm generally fine with kids and schools going their separate ways after a coaching change, but the fact is that for many of these kids their word (and contract) is not their bond. They are taught to not honor commitments. It's the norm.

But, this is the world we live in.

As compared to what - the coaches who recruited them?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I wasn't sold from the beginning. I saw a player with limited skills...someone who Brent would park on the bench for at least his first two years.

I don't consider "not a loss" a slam. Although in this current sensitive world, I can see where some delicate flowers may take offense. Especially kids who are told from birth that they're amazing, perfect, and their sh*t smells like roses.

I feel the same way too.

He was a project: limited minutes his first year but with the hope he could be a double-double guy his last year as well as a solid contributor.
SS Marquette

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
Not that we have shown any ability to recruit bigs but we sure have film if we go head to head with Brent.  Not too many recruits would join in if they knew there oing to be 100 substitutions a game.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

Groin pull- I absolutely love your posts!!!  I almost vomited last night on all of the posts about how classy Ahmed Hill's parting words were, blah, blah.  He said how he loves MU.  No, he didn't love MU, if he did he'd be coming here.   He loved Buzz and Chew during the recruiting process, period. 

These kids now think the world revolves around their every move and twitter post.  Let's not feed their massive egos more by reminding them how great they are.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Groin pull- I absolutely love your posts!!!  I almost vomited last night on all of the posts about how classy Ahmed Hill's parting words were, blah, blah.  He said how he loves MU.  No, he didn't love MU, if he did he'd be coming here.   He loved Buzz and Chew during the recruiting process, period.  

These kids now think the world revolves around their every move and twitter post.  Let's not feed their massive egos more by reminding them how great they are.

Like you felt the need to remind groinpull?  You his mom or something?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
Like you felt the need to remind groinpull?  You his mom or something?

I'm tired of all the political correctness and Groin Pull isn't about that.  Nothing more than that. 

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Satchel is in the same category as Mbao, Durley, roseboro (I.e the not good basketball player category). Buzz would have cut him before October. It won't be difficult to get a talent upgrade with this scholarship.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Satchel is in the same category as Mbao, Durley, roseboro (I.e the not good basketball player category). Buzz would have cut him before October. It won't be difficult to get a talent upgrade with this scholarship.
You are just guessing at that. Buzz still wants him and there has to be a reason for that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »
Expected. And not a loss.

Because Pierce was never going to fight his way through the other four outstanding center prospects ahead of him at Marquette?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »
Outside of Zoubek, Duke never played with plodding big men like Pierce. Not a surprise.

On how many occasions have you seen Pierce play?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »

Sure, but there's no reason for this either.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »
You are just guessing at that. Buzz still wants him and there has to be a reason for that.

Key word: still. That will change. Buzz is cold and will cut him loose if a better player becomes available. He's done it before many times.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
Sure, but there's no reason for this either.

Huh? No sour grapes and certainly no whining. More like indifference.

feedback