[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Satchel Pierce released from his NLI  (Read 13154 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Satchel Pierce released from his NLI
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
Per Paint Touches:

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  4m
. @EvanDaniels also reports Hill and Pierce taking official visits to VT right now. #mubb

Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  14m
#mubb RT @EvanDaniels: Satchel Pierce was released from his Letter of Intent at Marquette, per a source.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MUlegends

• Walk-On
Pierce released from NLI
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:52 AM »
Per Evan Daniels

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Satchel Pierce released from his NLI
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
Assuming Harris was never coming, that leaves us with three open schollies. Not ideal
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Pierce released from NLI
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Expected. And not a loss.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 08:34:12 AM »
Outside of Zoubek, Duke never played with plodding big men like Pierce. Not a surprise.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
Adios, and the horse you rode in on. Next man up. Beautiful day in MKE.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:58 AM »
Per Paint Touches:

@EvanDaniels also reports Hill and Pierce taking official visits to VT right now. #mubb

#mubb RT @EvanDaniels: Satchel Pierce was released from his Letter of Intent at Marquette, per a source.

No surprise whatsoever.

"...And a Chief shall lead them."
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:45:49 AM »
Adios, and the horse you rode in on.

No need for that kind of comment.

To Satchel: Thanks for selecting MU as your first choice. Sorry that circumstances changed and hope things work out well for you wherever you land.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »
There is only one appropriate response here: "Best of luck to you and thank you for your interest in Marquette University and its basketball program." Nothing else.

It's Good Friday, people.
We Are Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 08:52:20 AM »

To Satchel: Thanks for selecting MU as your first choice. Sorry that circumstances changed and hope things work out well for you wherever you land.

+1
TAMU

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
Per Paint Touches:

. @EvanDaniels also reports Hill and Pierce taking official visits to VT right now. #mubb

Interesting that the classless douche is trying to attract all these recruits to VT. Don't believe that for one moment he was not recruiting them to VT even before they were released. What an arshluck.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 08:59:55 AM »
Ridiculous. I'm so sick of people being over the top homers. Defend Buzz, when it's obvious he's making poor decisions, rip him for those same decisions when he's gone. Praise all the recruits, including Pierce, and then act like it's no big deal when he decommits. If you don't think MU could use a 3 star, 7 foot center, you're kidding yourself. Barro, Otule, & Burke....he'll likely be better than all 3.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »

::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »
Wojo remains 10/11 in my book: 9/9 on current players, 1/2 on good recruits.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:30 AM »
Yup, give the kid a break. Good luck, Satch.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
Ridiculous. I'm so sick of people being over the top homers. Defend Buzz, when it's obvious he's making poor decisions, rip him for those same decisions when he's gone. Praise all the recruits, including Pierce, and then act like it's no big deal when he decommits. If you don't think MU could use a 3 star, 7 foot center, you're kidding yourself. Barro, Otule, & Burke....he'll likely be better than all 3.

Pierce is not even close to a 7'

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1395094.html

Article re: Hill visit.  Another mentioned Pierce is there also.  That was quick......

Interesting on another Rivals article that Malik Harris has listed MU in his final 5.  Thought he was out the door.

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »

Burke, as in Dwight Burke?  He wasn't even close to 7'0.  He was 6'8 at best.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
Best wishes Satchel.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
There is only one appropriate response here: "Best of luck to you and thank you for your interest in Marquette University and its basketball program." Nothing else.

It's Good Friday, people.

Exactly. When these young fellas sign up the same posters are giddy. When they leave because the people who recruited them are gone, the player then becomes "subpar"
Grow up.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
Exactly. When these young fellas sign up the same posters are giddy. When they leave because the people who recruited them are gone, the player then becomes "subpar"
Grow up.

I've noticed. I'm starting to wonder if this is a new MU thang?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:53:37 AM by Sunbelt15 »

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
I've noticed. I'm starting to wonder this is a new MU thang?
Same as the "Bo cooled on him" mentality.

john31

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »

I have to agree with Love House on this, let show a little class here. It seems for many of us if a kid turns down MU some how he was never that good to begin with or MU will be better off with out him. That kind of sour grapes attitude is only worthy of second rate institutions not MU. I would expect that from a Badger or Packer fan but come on we are better than that.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
::)

You should go back to your old avatar -- cranky old man was much more appropriate for you.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »
I looked out the window and saw that it is raining this morning. Then I read this...

Death on call

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:09 AM »
You should go back to your old avatar -- cranky old man was much more appropriate for you.

Sorry, but I'm not going to fall all over myself thanking a recruit for briefly gracing MU with his presence.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
I at least find it interesting (if not strange) that I've yet to see an official announcement from Marquette on ANY of these releases... I don't know what to take from that. I would expect some kind of official word.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
I at least find it interesting (if not strange) that I've yet to see an official announcement from Marquette on ANY of these releases... I don't know what to take from that. I would expect some kind of official word.
4:50 PM on Friday afternoon.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

I don't find that strange, but I do find it strange that these releases were probably handed out over a week ago and we are just hearing about them now. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not going to fall all over myself thanking a recruit for briefly gracing MU with his presence.
It's called having class yo
No Finish Line

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Don't think we will see a news release on the NLI releases.  did not happen in 2008 either.  suspect acknowledgment by Wojo to Michael Hunt is all we will see.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
It's called having class yo

I didn't slam him. I just never pretended he was the second coming. What you call class...I call phony.

He doesn't want to be part of MU. Fine.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »
I didn't slam him. I just never pretended he was the second coming. What you call class...I call phony.

He doesn't want to be part of MU. Fine.
I'd say claiming he's "not a loss" is taking a parting shot. Unless of course you would've claimed he brought nothing to the table had he stuck to his commitment. If not that would've been phony
No Finish Line

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »

I agree. What is there to thank them for? Thanks for tying up a commitment and then leaving at the 11th hour when there's really nobody to replace you with. I don't wish these kids any ill will, but to thank them and wish them the best?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »
I know the standard cry, but the truth is when signing and NLI there is no confusion as to what you're committing to - a particular school - and what you are NOT committing to - a coach.

I'm generally fine with kids and schools going their separate ways after a coaching change, but the fact is that for many of these kids their word (and contract) is not their bond. They are taught to not honor commitments. It's the norm.

But, this is the world we live in.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »
Interesting that the classless douche is trying to attract all these recruits to VT. Don't believe that for one moment he was not recruiting them to VT even before they were released. What an arshluck.

Like any other coach in america would do  ::)
TAMU

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
I'd say claiming he's "not a loss" is taking a parting shot. Unless of course you would've claimed he brought nothing to the table had he stuck to his commitment. If not that would've been phony

I wasn't sold from the beginning. I saw a player with limited skills...someone who Brent would park on the bench for at least his first two years.

I don't consider "not a loss" a slam. Although in this current sensitive world, I can see where some delicate flowers may take offense. Especially kids who are told from birth that they're amazing, perfect, and their sh*t smells like roses.

brandx

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
I know the standard cry, but the truth is when signing and NLI there is no confusion as to what you're committing to - a particular school - and what you are NOT committing to - a coach.

I'm generally fine with kids and schools going their separate ways after a coaching change, but the fact is that for many of these kids their word (and contract) is not their bond. They are taught to not honor commitments. It's the norm.

But, this is the world we live in.

As compared to what - the coaches who recruited them?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »
I wasn't sold from the beginning. I saw a player with limited skills...someone who Brent would park on the bench for at least his first two years.

I don't consider "not a loss" a slam. Although in this current sensitive world, I can see where some delicate flowers may take offense. Especially kids who are told from birth that they're amazing, perfect, and their sh*t smells like roses.

I feel the same way too.

He was a project: limited minutes his first year but with the hope he could be a double-double guy his last year as well as a solid contributor.
SS Marquette

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
Not that we have shown any ability to recruit bigs but we sure have film if we go head to head with Brent.  Not too many recruits would join in if they knew there oing to be 100 substitutions a game.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

Groin pull- I absolutely love your posts!!!  I almost vomited last night on all of the posts about how classy Ahmed Hill's parting words were, blah, blah.  He said how he loves MU.  No, he didn't love MU, if he did he'd be coming here.   He loved Buzz and Chew during the recruiting process, period. 

These kids now think the world revolves around their every move and twitter post.  Let's not feed their massive egos more by reminding them how great they are.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Groin pull- I absolutely love your posts!!!  I almost vomited last night on all of the posts about how classy Ahmed Hill's parting words were, blah, blah.  He said how he loves MU.  No, he didn't love MU, if he did he'd be coming here.   He loved Buzz and Chew during the recruiting process, period.  

These kids now think the world revolves around their every move and twitter post.  Let's not feed their massive egos more by reminding them how great they are.

Like you felt the need to remind groinpull?  You his mom or something?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
Like you felt the need to remind groinpull?  You his mom or something?

I'm tired of all the political correctness and Groin Pull isn't about that.  Nothing more than that. 

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
Satchel is in the same category as Mbao, Durley, roseboro (I.e the not good basketball player category). Buzz would have cut him before October. It won't be difficult to get a talent upgrade with this scholarship.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Satchel is in the same category as Mbao, Durley, roseboro (I.e the not good basketball player category). Buzz would have cut him before October. It won't be difficult to get a talent upgrade with this scholarship.
You are just guessing at that. Buzz still wants him and there has to be a reason for that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »

Because Pierce was never going to fight his way through the other four outstanding center prospects ahead of him at Marquette?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »
Outside of Zoubek, Duke never played with plodding big men like Pierce. Not a surprise.

On how many occasions have you seen Pierce play?

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »

Sure, but there's no reason for this either.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »
You are just guessing at that. Buzz still wants him and there has to be a reason for that.

Key word: still. That will change. Buzz is cold and will cut him loose if a better player becomes available. He's done it before many times.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
Sure, but there's no reason for this either.

Huh? No sour grapes and certainly no whining. More like indifference.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »

I have to agree with this.  It seems a long shot he would have lasted long at MU in Buzz's guard oriented, "switchable" culture.  You could just see him sitting on the bench early in his career and then bolting.  

One thing I always pay close to attention to is who else is in the recruiting mix when guys commit to MU.  With Satchel it was almost entirely mid-majors other than Pitt.  The other schools were  Drexel, Cleveland St., Duquesne, Fla. Intl, James Madison.  Not exactly a murderers row list for a seven footer which there aren't many of.  I know some kids are late bloomers, but it's telling high majors weren't after him last fall.  

I wonder if any high majors other than VT (which is a bottom feeder high major) are after him now?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:31:59 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »
As compared to what - the coaches who recruited them?

No. Coaches sign no such documents.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »
I have to agree with this.  It seems a long shot he would have lasted long at MU in Buzz's guard oriented, "switchable" culture.  You could just see him sitting on the bench early in his career and then bolting.  

One thing I always pay close to attention to is who else is in the recruiting mix when guys commit to MU.  With Satchel it was almost entirely mid-majors other than Pitt.  The other schools were  Drexel, Cleveland St., Duquesne, Fla. Intl, James Madison.  Not exactly a murderers row list for a seven footer which there aren't many of.  I know some kids are late bloomers, but it's telling high majors weren't after him last fall.  

I wonder if any high majors other than VT (which is a bottom feeder high major) are after him now?

I think that MARQ_13's opinion that you agree with is uninformed.

1. Pitt has had more than a little success with bigs, so having Pitt interested in a big is a strong indication that the kid could develop.

2. The school that actually came closest to probably landing Pierce other than MU was The "U", i.e. Miami which having just won the ACC regular season and tournament title last year is not often referred to as a mid-major.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:35:41 PM by LittleMurs »

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
I think it's weird that this kid is going to fall for Bert's Schtick twice ?-(

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »
I think it's weird that this kid is going to fall for Bert's Schtick twice ?-(

As, apparently, is Hill.

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:33 PM »
As, apparently, is Hill.

No reason for Hill to go to a bottom feeder program.  I would guess Florida

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
I think that MARQ_13's opinion that you agree with is uninformed.

1. Pitt has had more than a little success with bigs, so having Pitt interested in a big is a strong indication that the kid could develop.

2. The school that actually came closest to probably landing Pierce other than MU was The "U", i.e. Miami which having just won the ACC regular season and tournament title last year is not often referred to as a mid-major.

Pitt and Miami? Well, Pitt never offered and the interest was more of a one way street. Miami goes after anyone MU does so that's not saying much. IMO not a big loss. I would rather have wojo get his own guy for that scholly. Would like to have shayok though.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
Pitt and Miami? Well, Pitt never offered and the interest was more of a one way street. Miami goes after anyone MU does so that's not saying much. IMO not a big loss. I would rather have wojo get his own guy for that scholly. Would like to have shayok though.

Dude, where do you get your info from? Pitt most certainly did offer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »
He said how he loves MUe.  No, he didn't love MUe, if he did he'd be coming here.   He loved Buzz and Chew my more attractive friends during the recruidating process, period. 

These kids now think the world revolves around their every move and twitter post.  Let's not feed their massive egos more by reminding them how great they are.

Just wanted to show you how easily your little rant about Hill could be changed to a rant about a boy thinking your friends are prettier than you. Food for thought.

As someone else said, sour grapes make the best whine
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2014, 01:25:39 AM »
Best of luck Mr. Pierce. I hope you find a program that you can thrive in.

Alright, on to the next one
TAMU

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2014, 07:28:32 AM »
Just wanted to show you how easily your little rant about Hill could be changed to a rant about a boy thinking your friends are prettier than you. Food for thought.

As someone else said, sour grapes make the best whine

Ummmmmm, okay?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
Young Mr. Pierce, best of luck to you in your future endeavors.   I was looking forward to your development at MU, but I understand that it was more about 'Buzz' than 'Marquette' for you. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »

Satchel Pierce is no loss to us....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 11:58:15 PM »
I have to agree with Love House on this, let show a little class here. It seems for many of us if a kid turns down MU some how he was never that good to begin with or MU will be better off with out him. That kind of sour grapes attitude is only worthy of second rate institutions not MU. I would expect that from a Badger or Packer fan but come on we are better than that.

John

I tried to reply to your PM but it won't go through

Death on call