[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Gary Parish on Buzz's departure  (Read 19936 times)

tower912

• All American
Gary Parish on Buzz's departure
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:29:52 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530514/at-what-point-will-schools-realize-who-can-and-cannot-be-hired-away

...Buzz Williams jumped to Virginia Tech from Marquette because the school had no president, no athletic director, and because he hated the new Big East and was probably going to have an average team next season for the second straight season......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: Gary Parish on Buzz's departure
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:41:15 AM »
Character revealed

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:59 AM »
So the question still stands, why did he have a small to virtually no buyout?

And if the answer was because of some standard clause in his contract saying it is reduced due to a change in AD how could MU be so dumb to allow that?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:55 AM »
Could have easily just said that he left because he is a hillbilly whose more comfortable in Applachia, even if it means he has to be the league's doormat.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »
Who cares.  If he didn't want to be here then good riddance.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »
Who cares.  If he didn't want to be here then good riddance.

+1

These are excuses, not the reason.  Fact is, he did not want to be here and MU lowered his buyout and "encouraged" him to leave.  MU even quietly started the process of looking for a new head coach a week before he left (per a Cords quote right after Wojo was hired.)

The only surprise in this is why Buzz panicked and took a terrible job like VT and not Wake, BC, Cal or now Missouri. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
+1

These are excuses, not the reason.  Fact is, he did not want to be here and MU lowered his buyout and "encouraged" him to leave.  MU even quietly started the process of looking for a new head coach a week before he left (per a Cords quote right after Wojo was hired.)

The only surprise in this is why Buzz panicked and took a terrible job like VT and not Wake, BC, Cal or now Missouri. 

Does he strike you as someone who thinks things through, and is a high level thinker?

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 07:12:23 AM »
+1

Yeah Buzz at Wake could of done some pretty good things I bet

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
Character revealed

+1,000,000

Remember the odd way he arrived at MU- abandoning a D-1 head coaching position for an assistant job.  Granted UNO is nothing big time in the college hoops world and doing what he did isn't unprecedented, but it certainly isn't close to being the norm either.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:16:05 AM »
I'm sure it's been said here before, and even if so, bears repeating in light of Parrish's comments.  He was unhappy about interims in both the AD and President positions at MU?  Earth to Brent, who was largely, or maybe completely, responsible for that? 

What an ego maniacal diva.    Man, I didn't think I'd dislike someone more than Crean, but he has certainly risen to that level.  Now he'll just play with VT as long as they conform completely to his dirtbag ways and then ditch them at the first signs of anything remotely approaching adversity.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530514/at-what-point-will-schools-realize-who-can-and-cannot-be-hired-away

...Buzz Williams jumped to Virginia Tech from Marquette because the school had no president, no athletic director, and because he hated the new Big East and was probably going to have an average team next season for the second straight season......

Three of these four things were of his own doing.

lmao.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:27:27 AM »
[/quote]

The last reason stated is certainly highly debatable and one I couldn't disagree more with.   With the last two recruiting classes (granted this year's has temporarily fallen apart now), I find it hard to believe that's really how ole' Brent felt about the 2014-15 season.  That comment sounds more to me speculation from a national writer making an assumption based on one down season.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 07:32:43 AM »
+1

Not to mention Tulsa in the other half of the old Big East.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

SuddenSam

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
Truly a shame that he would have a second straight poor season thrust upon him - no reason he should have to endure that;)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 07:34:24 AM »

At least now he won't be stuck with an average team next year. He'll have a bad one instead.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 07:34:54 AM »

The last reason stated is certainly highly debatable and one I couldn't disagree more with.   With the last two recruiting classes (granted this year's has temporarily fallen apart now), I find it hard to believe that's really how ole' Brent felt about the 2014-15 season.  That comment sounds more to me speculation from a national writer making an assumption based on one down season.

Buzz realized the cupboard was bare with Jake graduating...
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 07:36:16 AM »

I don't want to over-simplify this, but Buzz left because that's who Buzz is.

The dude is always looking for the next challenge/opportunity. Ever since he's been 18yrs old, he's been pushing the rock up the hill. He's never going to stop, and he's never going to be someplace for 15 years.

It's Buzz's psychology. He can't help it. Even if everything goes wonderfully at VT, he'll find a reason to move on in 6 or 7 years. It's just who the guy is. He burns hot. He always will.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 07:40:28 AM »
And I'm stuck with an autographed basketball signed by Buzz.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
Does he strike you as someone who thinks things through, and is a high level thinker?
A lot of people on this board thought he was--and some still do.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
I don't want to over-simplify this, but Buzz left because that's who Buzz is.

The dude is always looking for the next challenge/opportunity. Ever since he's been 18yrs old, he's been pushing the rock up the hill. He's never going to stop, and he's never going to be someplace for 15 years.

It's Buzz's psychology. He can't help it. Even if everything goes wonderfully at VT, he'll find a reason to move on in 6 or 7 years. It's just who the guy is. He burns hot. He always will.
The only thing this guy has been pushing uphill is his brand of BS!!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:33 AM »

They would have been mediocre again next season because Buzz would have nailed those recruits' asses to the bench.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
Buzz left for same reasons Stevens and crean left. He had success and knew he couldn't sustain it here. He also lost his team and that would have looked embarrassing to mass defections. The reasons list (except the avg team) were BS. Many here were beginning to figure it out so I can't say buzz was a full step ahead of everyone but he got out just in time. Would have been an ugly off season had he stayed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:28 AM »
A lot of people on this board thought he was--and some still do.

He always struck me as someone who was extremely lucky, and responded quickly.  He had the humble attitude which always plays well in the media, but dancing at WVU ended it for me.  When he was hired and started bursting stats right away you knew he was a little nuts.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »
Not interested in rehashing why that redneck left town. I just assumed his tobacco chewing was a better fit in Blacksburg.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
Curly grabbed the first gig that would pay him big bucks after Pearl was snatched by AU. In short, he panicked.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback