[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Gary Parish on Buzz's departure  (Read 19933 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Gary Parish on Buzz's departure
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »
Buzz had an excellent first five years, and watching his teams gave me great joy. He sucked last season, seemingly on purpose, and made the season about as much fun as a funeral. Finally, he wanted out ... and was so desperate that he took a crappy job to get out as quickly as possible -- which actually is good because it let us quickly start looking for a replacement who wants to be here.

Hasta la vista, Buzzy.

We've moved on, and we're better for it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 04:04:04 PM »
Buzz had an excellent first five years, and watching his teams gave me great joy. He sucked last season, seemingly on purpose, and made the season about as much fun as a funeral. Finally, he wanted out ... and was so desperate that he took a crappy job to get out as quickly as possible -- which actually is good because it let us quickly start looking for a replacement who wants to be here.

Hasta la vista, Buzzy.

We've moved on, and we're better for it.

And I think that will be Brett's rub for the length of his career: the guy can't sustain success.

He left UNO because of many reasons, one of which was lack of support for the program and an arena. A few called him out on the latter stating Buzz knew well it wasn't going to be ready any time soon: http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2007/07/uno_coach_resigns.html

I guess the Tanned One was prophetic:
"Buzz is going to be great," Crean said. "And he'll get another head coaching job someday."

In the same article, Bert says:
"Everybody has a different perspective on what they believe to be right, but for me what is always right is doing what I believe is best for my wife and my children," said Williams, purposely (and tastefully) vague. "It may not have been publicly right or perceived the right way. But I have to always make sure I'm doing the right thing in my heart for my wife and my children, and in my heart I believed it was right for my wife and my children."

Did something happen this season to his wife and kids?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:05:52 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »
And I think that will be Brett's rub for the length of his career: the guy can't sustain success.

He left UNO because of many reasons, one of which was lack of support for the program and an arena. A few called him out on the latter stating Buzz knew well it wasn't going to be ready any time soon: http://blog.nola.com/tpsports/2007/07/uno_coach_resigns.html

"Buzz is going to be great," Crean said. "And he'll get another head coaching job someday."

In the same article, Bert says:
"Everybody has a different perspective on what they believe to be right, but for me what is always right is doing what I believe is best for my wife and my children," said Williams, purposely (and tastefully) vague. "It may not have been publicly right or perceived the right way. But I have to always make sure I'm doing the right thing in my heart for my wife and my children, and in my heart I believed it was right for my wife and my children."

And what would that be to make him think moving his kids a thousand miles away so he can take a paycut made it better?  And then, if speculation can be believed, he tells Corey he has to take a further paycut so VT has money to pay Chew.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »

No, but he did something that he'll have to live with for the rest of his life.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »
Finally, how many bids would the prior version of the conference gotten despite a down year from Marquette and Georgetown?  If it's imperative for MU and Gtown to have successful seasons every year for the Big East to be successful then the conference isn't in the shape some would like to think.

Kind of like the one year that UCLA and Zona were down and the PAC-10 (then) got two bids.  Kind of like that?

And if Buzz was so concerned about conferences why did he flirt so much with SMU?  Guess he thought the AAC was going to be a behemoth huh?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:46:14 PM by MarquetteDano »

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:26 PM »
Kind of like the one year that UCLA and Zona were down and the PAC-10 (then) got two bids.  Kind of like that?

And if Buzz was so concerned about conferences why did he flirt so much with SMU?  Guess he thought the AAC was going to be a behemoth huh?

The fact that you're now comparing the Big East to the Pac 12 proves my point.  The former Big East was light years ahead of the Pac 12 and nobody in their right mind would compare the two leagues as the drop off in quality top to bottom was huge.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
No, but he did something that he'll have to live with for the rest of his life.

Something other than going to VPI?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 07:18:09 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530514/at-what-point-will-schools-realize-who-can-and-cannot-be-hired-away

...Buzz Williams jumped to Virginia Tech from Marquette because the school had no president, no athletic director, and because he hated the new Big East and was probably going to have an average team next season for the second straight season......

Ask the sh##head Goodman who recruited the players that would lead to William's "average team next season for the second straight season"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 07:42:08 PM »
Easy dude, guy-liner liner is becoming VERY popular in the sportswriter community.  When you're up till 3AM chasing leads and writing stories, gotta make your eyes pop somehow the next day.

He lives in Memphis and talks about it a lot. Probably took that whole Elvis thing a little far.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
Easy dude, guy-liner liner is becoming VERY popular in the sportswriter community.  When you're up till 3AM chasing leads and writing stories, gotta make your eyes pop somehow the next day.

Yes - that's why s/he should embrace it. Instead, he lets CBS use a picture of him from well over a DECADE ago where he looks like a halfway normal human being. For all the work he does on his hair and makeup, they could at least use a picture from the last several years.

Odd thing too about him: outrage over Alford's contract, yet hasn't said a PEEP about the one in his backyard - Pastner's. That because most people don't know what's in that contract. (LNH does.)

Most writers take the easy stuff.. what's dangling in front of them. They lack the ability to analyze or get past the high level stuff... thus you get crap like Buzz leaving because he hated the BEast, autonomy and the disastrous season coming in 2014-15 .

Nonetheless, I don't think all angles of Buzz's departure need to be covered... I'd rather they aren't.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24530514/at-what-point-will-schools-realize-who-can-and-cannot-be-hired-away

...Buzz Williams jumped to Virginia Tech from Marquette because the school had no president, no athletic director, and because he hated the new Big East and was probably going to have an average team next season for the second straight season......

Sounds like someone has bought the Buzz spin hook, line, and sinker.  Once the hook is set, Gary, all you can do is get a firm hold and yank quickly.  It'll hurt like hell, but you'll get your eyes opened again.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »

Hardly, all head coaches gush over their assistants as if the next break in the coaching business will show the world they've been harboring Coach K junior on their bench. 

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »

The fact that you're now comparing the Big East to the Pac 12 proves my point.  The former Big East was light years ahead of the Pac 12 and nobody in their right mind would compare the two leagues as the drop off in quality top to bottom was huge.

Okay. So your point is Buzz gave a parting shot because the new Bis East is not a top 5wo conference.  Point taken.  Wonder how many National Champions have come from a conference not in the top two in a given year?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »
Okay. So your point is Buzz gave a parting shot because the new Big East is not a top 5wo conference.  Point taken.  Wonder how many National Champions have come from a conference not in the top two in a given year?

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
Okay. So your point is Buzz gave a parting shot because the new Bis East is not a top 5wo conference.  Point taken.  Wonder how many National Champions have come from a conference not in the top two in a given year?

No, you're so far off topic it's amazing.

Comparing this year's Big East being down because Marquette and Georgetown had bad seasons to UCLA and Arizona as you did earlier is a terrible analogy.

The tradition, history and success of the former versions of the Big East carry over to this conference in name only.  To believe otherwise when four of the most successful Big East teams are no longer in the conference is wishful thinking.  This league will succeed or fail based on what it does from the 13-14 season forward.

Moving forward here's how it appears the conference realignment looks to have left the landscape.

TIER 1:  ACC, B1G

TIER 2:  PAC12, BIG12, SEC

TIER 3:  BIG EAST, AAC

If you look at the teams CURRENTLY in each conference, only the Big East is without an NCAA champion within the last 20 years.

I certainly think the Big East is closer to a power conference than a mid major, but to think that everything will be business as usual with the Big East conference in name only is illogical.

And to my original comment to Chicos, I have found much fault with Buzz Williams throughout his tenure with MU.  I just personally agree with his take on the new conference and therefore don't fault him for his sentiments in that regard.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:45:50 PM by mattyv1908 »
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 11:48:03 PM »

In Blacksburg, the kids won't have to wear shoes to school.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:58:15 PM by LittleMurs »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:06 PM »

Comparing this year's Big East being down because Marquette and Georgetown had bad seasons to UCLA and Arizona as you did earlier is a terrible analogy.

The tradition, history and success of the former versions of the Big East carry over to this conference in name only.  To believe otherwise when four of the most successful Big East teams are no longer in the conference is wishful thinking.  This league will succeed or fail based on what it does from the 13-14 season forward.

Moving forward here's how it appears the conference realignment looks to have left the landscape.

If you look at the teams CURRENTLY in each conference, only the Big East is without an NCAA champion within the last 20 years.

I certainly think the Big East is closer to a power conference than a mid major, but to think that everything will be business as usual with the Big East conference in name only is illogical.

And to my original comment to Chicos, I have found much fault with Buzz Williams throughout his tenure with MU.  I just personally agree with his take on the new conference and therefore don't fault him for his sentiments in that regard.

It seems pretty clear to me that when you compare conferences, you are cherry picking the top teams from each conference and actually comparing them rather than comparing the complete conferences to each other.  That's the only way you could have the Big East ranked in a third tier when it actually finished with the fourth highest average RPI, just ahead of one of your first tier conferences, the ACC.  BTW, the AAC finished well below the Big East and the ACC.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2014, 12:32:27 AM »
Lenny will buy it from you

Not interested. I was always a player rather than a name dropper and memorabilia guy like you.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:37:32 AM by Lennys Tap »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2014, 02:02:01 AM »

Is the new Big East anywhere close to the old Big East? No.

Did the Big East take a monsterous hit because of realignment. Absolutely.

Did Marquette have a better option than the new Big East. I haven't heard one yet.

Do I believe that the Big East is "3rd Tier" behind the ACC, B1G, B12, SEC, and PAC 12? Absolutely not.

There is no data to suggest that the Big East is 3rd tier. They finished 4th this season, behind the B1G, B12, and PAC 12 I believe. They got 40% of their teams to the tournament, a respectable percentage for any conference. And there's no data to suggest that they will decline. The Big East ranks 3rd in Top 100 recruits for 2014 and 2nd in overall average class grades. To me that suggests an upward trajectory. Could recruiting drop off in 2015? Absolutely. But there is no facts to support that claim, only opinion. At least, I haven't seen any facts, I'd be open to seeing some data.

I think the true rankings are:
Tier 1: ACC, B1G
Tier 2: B12, BEast, PAC 12, SEC
Tier 3: AAC, A10, MWC, CUSA (also known as mid majors)

I know your standard for success in a season is a sweet 16. So I know in your eyes, the 0 BEast teams had a successful season this year. But you have to see that there is so much more to conference strength than tournament success. No we don't have a North Carolina, a Michigan State, a Kansas, a UCLA, a Kentucky, or a UConn to bolster our championship and final four numbers. But we also don't have a Virginia Tech, a Northwestern, a TCU, a Washington State, or a East Carolina slumming it with sub 150 numbers every single year. (besides Depaul, who would have been +150 this year if Melvin hadn't left the team. And they at least have a rich tradition of success)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »
Why so much love for the SEC?  It's Florida, Kentucky and garbage.

The AAC is uconn, Louisville and garbage, it should be ranked with the SEC, if not higher.

I the rank the conferences by the strength of their worst teams, the BE comes out well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »
Why so much love for the SEC?  It's Florida, Kentucky and garbage.

The AAC is uconn, Louisville and garbage, it should be ranked with the SEC, if not higher.

I the rank the conferences by the strength of their worst teams, the BE comes out well.

Florida and Kentucky are that good, IMHO
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
Florida and Kentucky are that good, IMHO

So a conference is merely its two best teams?

At one point last year Nova and Creighton were top 10.  Nova and Georgetown could (repeat could) crack the top 10 next year.  That makes the NBE an elite conference, correct?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »

If your point is the Big East wasn't what it was no one will disagree with you.  I am not taking issue with you in my tone rather Buzz's logic.

But Buzz's parting shot on the Big East can be taken two ways:  1) The Big East is so weak he cannot recruit in it.  That has been disproven by showing it is one of the Top 5-6 conferences.

Or 2) It is not a Top 2 conference anymore so I am leaving.  That would have been more honest.  Also, comical and disingenuous since we know he flirted a lot with SMU.

His bad mouthing of the Big East is akin of bad mouthing the Marquette program.  Using Parish as his mouthpiece was classless.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:23:41 AM by MarquetteDano »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2014, 10:30:43 AM »
So a conference is merely its two best teams?

At one point last year Nova and Creighton were top 10.  Nova and Georgetown could (repeat could) crack the top 10 next year.  That makes the NBE an elite conference, correct?

No. I'm not looking at a single year. I'm looking at the quality of conferences for the years to come. And both Kentucky and Florida have had so much consistant success that they raise the overall profile of the entire conference. Kentucky and Florida have more Final Fours and Championships in the past 10 years than the entirety of the Big East. Tournament success isn't the only factor but it is still a factor.

But I would agree that the SEC is ranked below the BEast. But still in the same tier.
TAMU

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
No. I'm not looking at a single year. I'm looking at the quality of conferences for the years to come. And both Kentucky and Florida have had so much consistant success that they raise the overall profile of the entire conference. Kentucky and Florida have more Final Fours and Championships in the past 10 years than the entirety of the Big East. Tournament success isn't the only factor but it is still a factor.

But I would agree that the SEC is ranked below the BEast. But still in the same tier.

So a conference is its two top teams.

Not arguing that Kentucky and Floria are not elite teams.  But after that the rest of the SEC is horrible.  They only sent three teams to this year's Tourney (the third was Tennessee and now that Cuonzo left, they are a mess). 

The SEC is two truly great teams and the rest is mid-major quality.

feedback