'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A reason to be more impressed with Gardner....  (Read 10773 times)

AZWarrior

• All American
Re: A reason to be more impressed with Gardner....
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 11:54:59 AM »
Without teams sagging to clog the lane, Gardner would have been a BE POY candidate and we would have lived up to preseason hype. I felt the worst for Gardner this year, he didn't get a chance to show off his unique offensive skill set.

Agreed.  DG was badly impacted by Brett's offensive scheming.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »

Don't think it was scheme so much as riding a player that was offensively bankrupt at PG for ~35 mpg making it exponentially easier to guard Gardner. The PT allotment and recruiting miss at the position are Buzz' fault though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
Davante Gardner, 6-8, Center, Marquette – 18 points, 3 rebounds, 6-10 FG, 1-2 3P – Gardner simply knows how to score with his terrific feet, hands and touch. Even though he's undersized, not particularly athletic and somewhat limited as a rebounder and defender for the NBA level, he is very skilled and should make a strong career in Europe.

Indeed, this is a very positive report on Davante and I'm glad he did well. But do take note of that last sentence. Despite his outstanding showing, nobody with any knowledge would predict an NBA future for an unathletic, too-short big man who doesn't rebound well. I agree with Draft Express that Davante could be successful in Europe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »
Davante Gardner, 6-8, Center, Marquette – 18 points, 3 rebounds, 6-10 FG, 1-2 3P – Gardner simply knows how to score with his terrific feet, hands and touch. Even though he's undersized, not particularly athletic and somewhat limited as a rebounder and defender for the NBA level, he is very skilled and should make a strong career in Europe.

Indeed, this is a very positive report on Davante and I'm glad he did well. But do take note of that last sentence. Despite his outstanding showing, nobody with any knowledge would predict an NBA future for an unathletic, too-short big man who doesn't rebound well. I agree with Draft Express that Davante could be successful in Europe.

For sure. He's going to eat and eat well overseas. He just needs to stay healthy and focused.

Heck, if Dwight Burke is still playing abroad, Davante can!
SS Marquette

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »
If Gardner is 288 now, and he lost all this weight since he arrived at Marquette, what did he top out at as a Frosh or a recruit? Granted, he lost weight then gained muscle so 288 compared to whatever he was doesn't really give him the praise he deserves.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
Don't think it was scheme so much as riding a player that was offensively bankrupt at PG for ~35 mpg making it exponentially easier to guard Gardner. The PT allotment and recruiting miss at the position are Buzz' fault though.

I don't disagree with anything you said.  However, I said, "scheming".  Not "scheme".   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
Exactly. Buzz actually had no offensive scheming, other than Derrick dribbling around the perimeter while his man double teamed the post. best exemplified by the 12 year old daughter of a fan who the Dad said knows absolutely nothing about the game saying, "Daddy, why isn't anybody guarding #12?" That should be the tag line for all the slurpers.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
I don't disagree with anything you said.  However, I said, "scheming".  Not "scheme".   ;)

Haha okay I get what you're saying now

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
Exactly. Buzz actually had no offensive scheming, other than Derrick dribbling around the perimeter while his man double teamed the post. best exemplified by the 12 year old daughter of a fan who the Dad said knows absolutely nothing about the game saying, "Daddy, why isn't anybody guarding #12?" That should be the tag line for all the slurpers.

A swing and a miss, strike two.  We'll try again.  He said, "scheming".  Not "scheme".
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »
If Gardner is 288 now, and he lost all this weight since he arrived at Marquette, what did he top out at as a Frosh or a recruit? Granted, he lost weight then gained muscle so 288 compared to whatever he was doesn't really give him the praise he deserves.

I think I remember hearing that Gardner weighed 330 in High School.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »

I predict DG as an NBA second rounder because he is a scoring machine and a foul trouble extraordinaire.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
He'd be better off as a undrafted free agent so he can pick his team.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »
A swing and a miss, strike two.  We'll try again.  He said, "scheming".  Not "scheme".
Sorry, only strike 1 as I did use scheming.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
I predict DG as an NBA second rounder because he is a scoring machine and a foul trouble extraordinaire.

Want to put a wager on that?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »
Draft pick?  Unlikely.  But i could see a team signing him as an undrafted free agent to see what they can get

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
Would love it if DG ends up on an NBA roster. I just don't see it happening. There's not many 6'6" post players that aren't athletic. And by not many, I'm guessing none. If love for him to be an exception though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »

One word:

No.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »

Should I add you to the list below?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »

He was listed at 295 in a Rosiak article from when he was signed.

Davante Gardner, a 6-foot-8, 295-pounder from King's Fork High School in Suffolk, Va., signed with the Golden Eagles, giving them an intriguing prospect expected to bring not only size but skill to a frontcourt in need of both.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/92733734.html

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »
Should I add you to the list below?

Yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:06 PM »

Yes, those are the positives but he struggles to run the court, challenge defenders around the rim, and cover the ground from the key to the 3 pt.

But the acting when fouled is definitely NBA level. ;)
SS Marquette

rmi210

• Starter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 07:51:03 AM »
Gardner will get a look from an NBA team this fall, likely as an undrafted free agent...which could be his best way to make a team.

He's too uniquely talented for an NBA team to not take a look at, and put him on the court with their guys..and see how he fares.  He's been able to score at one of the most efficient rates in college basketball every year from freshman season to senior year.  Some team will want to se if that can translate to NBA and how he'll defend NBA caliber players..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

sv48

• Starter
Davante Gardner named MVP of Portsmouth Invitational
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
Didn't see this posted anywhere, sorry if I missed it. Also, both Gardner and Wilson made the all-star team, making MU the only team with two players on the all-star team.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/20/marquettes-davante-gardner-named-mvp-of-portsmouth-invitational-video/

77ncaachamps

• All American
Re: Davante Gardner named MVP of Portsmouth Invitational
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
Oh it has been.

The news was in here: http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43849.0;all
SS Marquette