Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: List of Top Free Agents...I Mean...Graduate Transfers  (Read 40606 times)

Jet915

• Starter
Re: List of Top Free Agents...I Mean...Graduate Transfers
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
Ricky Kreklow to Creighton as a WALK-ON over scholarship offers from some high majors.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2014, 06:11:06 PM »
Ricky Kreklow to Creighton as a WALK-ON over scholarship offers from some high majors.

Thanks for the tip, I can confrim. Wow, hope the kid has money somewhere. Creighton is expensive!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
OP updated. And then there were 10. Ricky Kreklow is heading to Creighton. At least he's staying in the family. In a continuing of recruiting players with conduct issues, Bruce Pearl has convinced New Mexico State point guard KC Ross-Miller to bring his services to Auburn.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »
Marquette should invite him for an official visit but make him get to Milwaukee on a Greyhound

I'm sure he expects nothing less.  I wonder if MU can get him the same room he had last November at the Motel 6.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
OP Updated. I found out that Danuel House was on A&M's campus today. Got to meet him. Seemed like a nice kid. He was asked about his list for schools and they are all regionally based in the Texas/Louisiana area.

This conversation led to another where Richaud Pack was mentioned. A&M is trying to get him to visit before making his decision. It is down to TAMU, Maryland, and TCU. No Marquette.

Finally, Darius Leonard announced his final list today. To the gall of everyone on scoop, VT was on the list but Marquette was not. I would imagine his earlier comments about "not wanting to have to play center all the time" had something to do with it. All his final choices are in the southeast region as well.

That takes the top three left off the board. Pickings are starting to get really slim. I'm thinking that we will only have 11 players available for next season unless we decide to take a flier on one of the few HS players left in the 2014 class.

Wojo could still use those scholarships for normal transfers. Some very good talent left on the transfer list. Carter Jr. from Georgia Tech would be a monster get.
TAMU

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
OP Updated. I found out that Danuel House was on A&M's campus today. Got to meet him. Seemed like a nice kid. He was asked about his list for schools and they are all regionally based in the Texas/Louisiana area.

This conversation led to another where Richaud Pack was mentioned. A&M is trying to get him to visit before making his decision. It is down to TAMU, Maryland, and TCU. No Marquette.

Finally, Darius Leonard announced his final list today. To the gall of everyone on scoop, VT was on the list but Marquette was not. I would imagine his earlier comments about "not wanting to have to play center all the time" had something to do with it. All his final choices are in the southeast region as well.

That takes the top three left off the board. Pickings are starting to get really slim. I'm thinking that we will only have 11 players available for next season unless we decide to take a flier on one of the few HS players left in the 2014 class.

Wojo could still use those scholarships for normal transfers. Some very good talent left on the transfer list. Carter Jr. from Georgia Tech would be a monster get.
When I look at the returning Big East lineups it doesn't seem like our lack of size will really be that big a factor. What do you think?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
OP Updated. No one comes off the list but we do have two additions. First is Niagara phenom Antonie Mason. Mason was the 2nd leading scorer in D1 scoring (right between Dougie McBuckets and TJ Warren) last season with a whopping 25.6 ppg. He has decided to leave the midmajors to try and play with the big boys. This kid will probably be on an NBA roster after next season. Even if we are stacked at guard, we should be interested.

Next addition is Deville Smith. Smith ran the point for UNLV last season. Undersized but nailed almost 2 three pointers a game for the Rebels. After last year's anemic 3 point shooting, we can use all the help we can get.
TAMU

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »
OP Updated. No one comes off the list but we do have two additions. First is Niagara phenom Antonie Mason. Mason was the 2nd leading scorer in D1 scoring (right between Dougie McBuckets and TJ Warren) last season with a whopping 25.6 ppg. He has decided to leave the midmajors to try and play with the big boys. This kid will probably be on an NBA roster after next season. Even if we are stacked at guard, we should be interested.

Next addition is Deville Smith. Smith ran the point for UNLV last season. Undersized but nailed almost 2 three pointers a game for the Rebels. After last year's anemic 3 point shooting, we can use all the help we can get.

Antoine Mason has big time numbers but if you look closely, he's a HIGH volume shooter.  His shooting percentages are atrocious, 44% from 2, 29% from 3.  At 6'3, he's a slasher who can't shoot.  Sounds like a good fit for St. John's IMO.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
I'm sure he expects nothing less.  I wonder if MU can get him the same room he had last November at the Motel 6.

Motel 6? They upgraded from the youth hostel on Wells?

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
Antoine Mason has big time numbers but if you look closely, he's a HIGH volume shooter.  His shooting percentages are atrocious, 44% from 2, 29% from 3.  At 6'3, he's a slasher who can't shoot.  Sounds like a good fit for St. John's IMO.

Thank you for the kindness in calling him a fit for St. John's over another Big East team not known for its shooting prowess...

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »
When I look at the returning Big East lineups it doesn't seem like our lack of size will really be that big a factor. What do you think?

Interesting question. I would argue lack of size is always an issue, but the Big East is not known for it's dominate centers. Here is a look at each teams likely starting and what they did last season.

Xavier: Matt Stainbrook, 6"10 275 SR, 10.6 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 0.9 bpg
Butler: Kameron Woods, 6"9 200 SR, 7.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 bpg
Villanova: Daniel Ochefu, 6"10 230 JR, 5.7 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.5 bpg
Depaul: Tommy Hamilton, 6"10 280 SO, 7.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.5 apg, 0.6 bpg
Seton Hall: Patrick Auda 6"9 225 SR, 9.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg 1.5 apg, 0.4 bpg
Georgetown: Mikael Hopkins, 6"9 223 SR, 6.0 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.5 bpg
St. John's: Chris Obekpa, 6"9 215 JR, 3.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 2.9 bpg
Providence: Carson Desrosiers, 7"0 250 SR, 3.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.6 apg, 2.4 bpg
Creighton: Will Artino, 6"11 230 SR, 5.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.2 apg, 0.3 bpg
Marquette: Luke Fischer, 6"11 215 SO, 2.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.8 bpg

So these numbers show that Center is usually not the dominate position in Big East Basketball. So maybe size isn't as important. However, despite these low numbers, Fischer still has the lowest numbers of any of them. Now I know he was injured, buried on the bench, and transferred midseason, but it is still concerning. Luke also has good height, but is also lighter than every player on that list except for Woods and Obekpa. It is a reality that our frontcourt will be an undersized question mark going into next season.

Do I think that our frontcourt could surprise us? Absolutely, but it is more prudent to temper expectations. Can we win despite this? Without question. We need to embrace our size and run a run and gun offense that forces turnovers and slashes to the bucket. We should see three guards on the floor at all times and four guards on the floor some of the time.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »
Yeah, TAMU I get the impression that too many people here are saying "we need to weather the storm until Fischer gets here."  Fischer is very likely not going to be the entire answer.  He is coming off playing about a dozen games at IU, which didn't include any B10 conference games.  Truth be told, we have no idea how good he is going to be. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »
Yeah, TAMU I get the impression that too many people here are saying "we need to weather the storm until Fischer gets here."  Fischer is very likely not going to be the entire answer.  He is coming off playing about a dozen games at IU, which didn't include any B10 conference games.  Truth be told, we have no idea how good he is going to be. 
And, it will take time to acclimated himself to game conditions and to mesh with the others after missing those first 9 or 10 non-conference games.  Could happen quickly, but you never know.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »

Fisher will not be the answer next year, but I see him as a solid started, 10 points-6 rebounds as a junior and a little better as a senior.  But need a back-up like Heldt to get some size,
and definitely need a power forward, rebounder as well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2014, 12:14:31 PM »
Yeah, TAMU I get the impression that too many people here are saying "we need to weather the storm until Fischer gets here."  Fischer is very likely not going to be the entire answer.  He is coming off playing about a dozen games at IU, which didn't include any B10 conference games.  Truth be told, we have no idea how good he is going to be.  
My expectations are that he will be a better rebounder, scorer and defender than Otule. I do not expect him to be an all-american, but will probalby be the most rounded center we have had in a long time. Of course he may end up playing the four, but a combination of Taylor and Fischer at center may be better than Ox/Otule. They will not be able to score like the Ox, but they should better rebounders and defenders than the last duo.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:51:32 PM by bilsu »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »
My expectations is that he will be a better rebounder, scorer and defender than Otule. I do not expect him to be an all-american, but will probalby be the most rounded center we have had in a long time. Of course he may end up playing the four, but a combination of Taylor and Fischer at center may be better than Ox/Otule. They will not be able to score like the Ox, but they should better rebounders and defenders than the last duo.

Well, I think you are making my point.  When all is said and done, Fischer may end up being "a better rebounder, scorer and defender than Otule."  I just doubt he will come in and be all of those in December.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »

Well, I think you are making my point.  When all is said and done, Fischer may end up being "a better rebounder, scorer and defender than Otule."  I just doubt he will come in and be all of those in December.

I sure hope Fischer comes in as a better rebounder than Chris...Chris was really poor as a rebounder, given his size...then again...can't imagine playing high major basketball with one eye as well.  Chris was a fundamentally sound big guy - good at eating space, sealing the lane, and defending the basket.  Anything beyond that was gravy in a game..in the way of scoring/rebounding.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:46 AM »
Robert Carter has just picked Maryland, so we can scratch him off this list. He would have been an awesome big to land. Oh well, the beat goes on!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
Robert Carter has just picked Maryland, so we can scratch him off this list. He would have been an awesome big to land. Oh well, the beat goes on!

Well Carter Jr. was a regular transfer, not a graduate transfer. So he doesn't come off this list. But missing out on his services is unfortunate. He will have great success at Maryland.

Interesting bit of information on the graduate transfer front. It doesn't effect our list, but former Xavier standout Justin Martin has decided to take his services to SMU. Guess he listened to Buzz' comments and realized how terrible the BEast must be
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
OP updated.

At this point, I think it is pretty clear that Wojo is not looking at any graduate transfers. So I think this may be my last update. It's more for curiosity than anything else.

1. Former #1 on this list, Danuel House of Houston ended up picking Texas A&M so...whoop for my boss' boss' boss.

2. Current #1 Antonie Mason, the Niagara scoring machine, became Bruce Pearl's best pickup since joining the Auburn staff.

3. Chandler Thomas, star player from that shining example of a program Grambling State, is heading to Ohio where he should be a solid contributor.

Looking at the free agents who are left, most would probably end up being warm bodies if they came to Marquette. Taran Brown from UC Santa Barbara is a solid player and could probably get some minutes...but other than that...pickings are slim. Let's hope Wojo can pick up a solid transfer or two for the 15-16 campaign.
TAMU

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
TAMU--completely understand the 'warm bodies' statement........however, wouldn't a warm practice body be welcome for THiS year? We need 2 warm bodies this summer and then they are gone.?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »
TAMU--completely understand the 'warm bodies' statement........however, wouldn't a warm practice body be welcome for THiS year? We need 2 warm bodies this summer and then they are gone.?

I agree but judging by recent interviews, it sounds like Wojo is not interested in adding someone just for the sake of adding somebody. I would also say it is rare for graduate transfers to make the move just to be a benchwarmer.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2014, 09:11:42 PM »

We don't need practice bodies unless they are big bodies, and those dudes are gone.  Also, what TAMU said about not transferring for their final year to sit.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
Understand--easy to say in June. If Luke goes down to injury, we would be thrilled if Garrett Swanson was warming the bench.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Understand--easy to say in June. If Luke goes down to injury, we would be thrilled if Garrett Swanson was warming the bench.

*You* might be.  I would not be.  (Not that he had a choice to be here anyway.)

feedback