[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 08:56:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: List of Top Free Agents...I Mean...Graduate Transfers  (Read 40771 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: List of Top Free Agents...I Mean...Graduate Transfers
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »
I know. It was K, Capel (I believe) and Wojo who were a team. Lead was probably Capel or K.

Pretty much Mikey.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
Would be great to get LOONEY. I wonder if they had any contact since Wojo was named as coach.

He has signed with UCLA, and ya know since UCLA hasn't had a coaching change its kinda unlikely that either he wants to change his mind or that UCLA would have any inclination to let him out of his LOI.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
Time to sign 6'8" PF 4* PHIL COFER!

http://247sports.com/Player/Philip-Cofer-24064

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10840385/tennessee-volunteers-grant-release-phil-cofer

Kinda resembles Jamil's game with more inside play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hgGeF9ylGA
Posters a poor kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQAxWNgLvs

Others available
- 3* Larry Austin JR
- 3* Jordan Cornish
- 3* CJ Turman (pending)

He'd be awesome, but first time out he didn't look at any schools north of the Mason-Dixon line, so I guess I'd be really impressed if Wojo reeled him in.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 05:27:43 PM »
OP updated. Lost two and gained two. Washington big man Desmond Simmons is heading to St. Mary's. Former WI Mr. Basketball Nimrod Hilliard IV is joining up with Jamal Ferguson at North Carolina Central.

After speaking with friends in the Houston athletic department, I believe there is a decent chance that both Thomas and House will be approved to play immediately. Thomas is a force on the inside, averaging nearly a double double last season in addition to nearly 3 bpg. House is Jamil Wilson esque with a more confident shot.

I got to see a couple of Houston games in person this season. Either would be a fantastic pick up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:10 PM »
Thanks for the effort TAMU--much appreciated.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
OP updated. Lost two and gained two. Washington big man Desmond Simmons is heading to St. Mary's. Former WI Mr. Basketball Nimrod Hilliard IV is joining up with Jamal Ferguson at North Carolina Central.

After speaking with friends in the Houston athletic department, I believe there is a decent chance that both Thomas and House will be approved to play immediately. Thomas is a force on the inside, averaging nearly a double double last season in addition to nearly 3 bpg. House is Jamil Wilson esque with a more confident shot.

I got to see a couple of Houston games in person this season. Either would be a fantastic pick up.

Thomas would fill so many needs. Haven't really heard him linked with anyone except Oregon.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
Thomas would fill so many needs. Haven't really heard him linked with anyone except Oregon.

But Altman is great at landing transfers. Wouldn't be surprised to see him land there
TAMU

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »

Good work on developing this list. What do you think our chances on landing the Houston dou are?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
Good work on developing this list. What do you think our chances on landing the Houston dou are?

At this point, not great. My friends in Houston hadn't heard anything about CoWojo contacting them. But I think if Wojo was so inclined, we could be a major player. Either (or both) would be a huge get.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2014, 07:30:48 AM »
At this point, not great. My friends in Houston hadn't heard anything about CoWojo contacting them. But I think if Wojo was so inclined, we could be a major player. Either (or both) would be a huge get.

Wistfully, I've got to think that if Buzz was still here, we'd have a decent shot.  But, he's not and that's all for the best, so....

BTW, TAMU, from your spot in the great state of Texas, what have you heard as the reason why Houston would dump a coach who brought in such great recruits?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:33:53 AM by LittleMurs »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 10:38:38 AM »
BTW, TAMU, from your spot in the great state of Texas, what have you heard as the reason why Houston would dump a coach who brought in such great recruits?

Dickey was a great recruiter but a horrible in game coach. In his four seasons he finished twice about .500 and one of those was 16-15. He wasn't the greatest developer either. House and Thomas are talents but haven't really improved under his tutelage. And Danrad Knowles, his third top 100 recruit has been average at best. Gotta have the results to go with the recruits.

The culture at Houston is interesting. The administration has a serious case of little sister syndrome...to everybody. They like to think that they should be considered with the likes of TAMU, UT, Baylor, Rice, and Tech. They still remember the days of Phi Slamma Jama and expect to return to those levels. The students however, do not care. Almost no sense of school pride at Houston.

I don't think SMU's return to basketball relevance doesn't help. The mustangs bring in a top coach with questionable recruiting methods and look what happens. Houston is hoping that Sampson will be their Larry Brown.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:44 AM »
If he stays out of trouble, Sampson has proven himself to be a good coach.  I think that works well for them.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 11:04:47 PM »
http://wakeforest.247sports.com/Article/Post-Grad-forward-looking-for-new-home-28501911

It looks like Darius Leonard is visiting Marquette on the 13th. He's also visiting Drexel and wants to visit Wake Forest. He said staying close to home would be a factor so that could make Wake Forest the team to beat.

MU_MM08

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 01:01:16 AM »
http://wakeforest.247sports.com/Article/Post-Grad-forward-looking-for-new-home-28501911

It looks like Darius Leonard is visiting Marquette on the 13th. He's also visiting Drexel and wants to visit Wake Forest. He said staying close to home would be a factor so that could make Wake Forest the team to beat.

Here are his stats from last year: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51758/darius-leonard

SEASON   TEAM   MIN   FGM-FGA   FG%   3PM-3PA   3P%   FTM-FTA   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
2013-14   CAMP   25.7   4.0-7.9   .504   1.1-2.9   .380   1.2-1.7   .717   4.9   1.3   0.4   0.5   2.2   1.3   10.2

and highlight clip from this past season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMq5T7DqU6c

Looks like a real nice player, seemed to really improve his stats significantly over the two years, including knocking down a solid clip from 3! Could be a very nice piece for next year!

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 01:24:56 AM »
I think he would be a great get for next year's team. He doesn't consider himself a center but anyone with height that can play would be a nice addition. A 6'9" player who can take his defender outside and hit a 3 could add a new dimension to the offense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »
OP updated. No new additions. Number 8 on the list, Mr. Brian Williams has embraced his inner cajun and will be transferring to UL Lafayette.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »

Buzz cooled on him...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

Exciting news about Darius Leonard. He's currently in the top 5 of available graduate transfers. It's hard to tell how good he would be. 10.2 and 4.9 is a pretty good average but he played on a godawful team. Campbell was 318 in RPI and 328 in KenPom last season. And they played in the Big South, not exactly a hotbed of quality competition. However, someone who is 6"9 and shoots 38% from 3 will always find a role on team.

If we added him, we have the potential to run a Creighton like offense. Imagine Carlino, Mayo, Johnson, Taylor/Burton, and Campbell on the floor together. Every one of those players has the ability to shoot 35% or better from three. Could create some horrendous mismatches for opponents.

I'm not optimistic that we land him. Sounds like Wake is really where he wants to go. But if he values playing time and quality of team over being close to home, we might be able to reel him in. Another issue, he sees himself as a SF or PF. He only wants to play "short stints at center." For us he would be a center, for Wake he would be forward. Wake has 2 scholies open if anyone was curious.
TAMU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
Exciting news about Darius Leonard. He's currently in the top 5 of available graduate transfers. It's hard to tell how good he would be. 10.2 and 4.9 is a pretty good average but he played on a godawful team. Campbell was 318 in RPI and 328 in KenPom last season. And they played in the Big South, not exactly a hotbed of quality competition. However, someone who is 6"9 and shoots 38% from 3 will always find a role on team.

17 points/9 boards against NC State and 16/6 on 7 of 10 shooting agianst Cincy from Campbell's non-conference slate last year suggests he's capable of playing at our level.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2014, 05:54:40 PM »
OP updated. We lost three candidates and gained one, putting us at 15 left on this list. Ian Chiles, who you may remember performing quite impressively against Marquette last season is transferring from IUPUI to Tennessee. I hear he wouldn't have committed had Cuonzo stayed. Two of the last names on the list, Malik Thomas and Jeylani Dublin are transferring to Norfolk State and Iona respectively. If that's where they landed, they probably wouldn't have had much impact at MU.

Gerald Coleman announced two days ago that he would be leaving Gonzaga. You may remember Coleman. He started for Providence his freshman and sophomore year and put up impressive numbers (13.2 ppg and 5.0 rpg as a sophomore). His time out west did not agree with him. After sitting out a year, he only averaged 6 points in 11 minutes of action per game. What's worse, he only made 1 of 8 3Ps. I put him on the list because he has already played at the BEast level and proved that he can score. But MU needs another guard that can't shoot like I need another hole in the head.

There are 15 graduate transfers left that I would consider talented enough to compete for the Warriors. They can be divided into three tiers. For me 1-4 are guys would definitely be starting. 5-8 are guys who would definitely get minutes and compete for starting jobs. 9-15 would probably be role players at best. At worst they would be warm bodies to fill up the practice squad.

The only player on this list that I know for sure that Wojo is talking to is #5 Darius Leonard. I hope he is looking at those top 4 as well because getting one of them could take us from being a bubble team to an NCAA lock. Personally, I would like to grab one more graduate transfer and use the last schollie on an impact regular transfer, preferably a guy who would end up in Steve's class to balance it out a bit.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:59:36 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:50 AM »
OP updated. One of the top bigs remaining is coming off the board. Kyle Davis is making the short trip from Logan, Utah to Provo and joining up with the BYU Cougars.
TAMU

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2014, 12:30:25 AM »

OMG, there's a guy from Grambling on the list.

Marquette should invite him for an official visit but make him get to Milwaukee on a Greyhound

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »

You're kiddin', right. Just talked to him and his Mom. He was wearin' a UCLA hat. Told him I'll see him for a game at Pauley and want a seat on the bench.

I think the Looneys are concerned about campus safety at Marquette.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG5Qk-jB0D4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dG5Qk-jB0D4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true</a>

Death on call

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but just saw on ESPN that Byron Wesley is headed to Gonzaga. Not sure if we were pursuing him but sure would have been a nice filler at shooting guard for a year.  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:26:50 PM by The Love House »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
And boom goes the dynamite. The top two free agents come off the board. Tashawn Thomas is heading to Oklahoma and Byron Wesley is heading to Gonzaga. Props to the love house for catching it first.

The new number one is tashawns teammate, Danuel house. I've heard nothing to suggest we are interested. The new number two, Darius Leonard, has visited campus. But I think he ends up a demon deacon. After that, we are looking at players we don't need or players that aren't very good. Let's hope wojo can get Mr. Leonard or can find another way to fill those two scholies.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:59:14 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

feedback