[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jabari Parker Going Pro  (Read 6148 times)

kryza

• Team Captain
Re: Jabari Parker Going Pro
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
Exum is the "media forgotten" pick.  I've tried looking online for a game of his but there just isn't much.  Most of what I know about him is from reading.  Here's what I know about Exum:

6'5 - Super Quick - close to Allen Iverson quickness.  He has a crossover that will result in some nice youtube videos.  Some scouts project him as the "next" Kobe Bryant.  Others say that the talent he's playing against right now is comparable to Division 3 basketball.  I did read where he had a game where he scored 38 points or so.  Exum was extremely disappointed that he only shot about 30% from the floor, saying he wasn't efficient enough.  There are rumors, as well, that suggest he wants to leverage his way into a Lakers uniform.  I do know he has a relationship with Andrew Bogut and Bogut wanted out of Milwaukee.  

Embiid is a bust as far as I'm concerned.  He's the next Hasheem Thabeet.  For someone who just started playing basketball a few years ago, I don't think he has the skills needed.  Physically, he's too thin and will be abused down low.  Can his body hold up in an 82+ game season?  I don't think it can, and wouldn't take a risk with the back injury.  People see Hakeem Olaujuwon but he's not even close.  He just has a body like him and the quickness.  

Here's a good video without a lot of info about Exum

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
When you are in the position that the Bucks are in, being a mediocre team in their very best recent years and the worst team in basketball this year, and you have to choose between a guy you know will be good but also know probably won't be great, or a guy who you know could be great or could be a bust, you have to take a risk.  Parker would help the team continue to be mediocre.  Wiggins could keep the franchise bad, but he could also help turn the franchise around.  Wiggins has a much, much higher ceiling.  Parker will average 15 and 8 for his career.  Wiggins could average 10 and 4 for his career, but he could also average 22, 6, and 4 for his career.  Also, the Bucks have Giannis at the 3 and Henson and Sanders at the 4/5.  Where is Parker going to play?  Split time with Giannis?  So your 2 best players play the same position?  Wiggins could play the 3 if you need him to, but he's a natural 2, which is exactly what the Bucks need.  And as far as Embiid for the Bucks, they already have 2 of him in Sanders and Henson.  No need for a 3rd tall, athletic, defensive minded post player.  Yes, Embiid will end up with a better career than those 2 (he will be a very good pro), but Sanders and Henson are both going to be very good.  Much greater need for a scoring wing.  Knight will be solid at the point for a while, so no need for Exum.

Potential lineups for the Bucks:
1) Knight
2) Wiggins
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, and Adrien off of the bench.
A lot of youth and athleticism.  A team that, if the players develop, could be very, very good within 4 years.  Trade OJ for a veteran big.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Parker, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Still young and athletic, but your #1 overall draft pick is being blocked by 2 of your 3 best players, who are both very young.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Embiid, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Meh.  About the same team we had this year.

Guys I would love to see fall out of the first round to the Bucks in the 2nd (first 3 are unlikely):
McDermott, Mitch McGary, Big Dog 3.0, Napier, Lamar Patterson, Greek Freak's older bro (just 'cause)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:50:08 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
Embiid is nowhere near Duncan on any level.  What a disgrace to Duncan.  Embiid has little, if any offensive game.  He doesn't have any offensive moves at all and is a project.  He can block shots and that's about it in the NBA - same as Thabeet.  Watch him become a backup center.  He doesn't have the bulk to play the front line in the NBA every night nor score at that level.  You could even argue that he didn't have the bulk to hold up in the college game either. 

You obviously haven't seen Embiid play. Comparing him to Thabeet is laughable. (Unless you mean he is tall and black.) I basically disagree with your entire analysis (as do NBA execs). If he hadn't had back issues this year, he would be the consensus #1 pick.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Embiid is nowhere near Duncan on any level.  What a disgrace to Duncan.  Embiid has little, if any offensive game.  He doesn't have any offensive moves at all and is a project.  He can block shots and that's about it in the NBA - same as Thabeet.  Watch him become a backup center.  He doesn't have the bulk to play the front line in the NBA every night nor score at that level.  You could even argue that he didn't have the bulk to hold up in the college game either. 

I strongly disagree.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
When you are in the position that the Bucks are in, being a mediocre team in their very best recent years and the worst team in basketball this year, and you have to choose between a guy you know will be good but also know probably won't be great, or a guy who you know could be great or could be a bust, you have to take a risk.  Parker would help the team continue to be mediocre.  Wiggins could keep the franchise bad, but he could also help turn the franchise around.  Wiggins has a much, much higher ceiling.  Parker will average 15 and 8 for his career.  Wiggins could average 10 and 4 for his career, but he could also average 22, 6, and 4 for his career.  Also, the Bucks have Giannis at the 3 and Henson and Sanders at the 4/5.  Where is Parker going to play?  Split time with Giannis?  So your 2 best players play the same position?  Wiggins could play the 3 if you need him to, but he's a natural 2, which is exactly what the Bucks need.  And as far as Embiid for the Bucks, they already have 2 of him in Sanders and Henson.  No need for a 3rd tall, athletic, defensive minded post player.  Yes, Embiid will end up with a better career than those 2 (he will be a very good pro), but Sanders and Henson are both going to be very good.  Much greater need for a scoring wing.  Knight will be solid at the point for a while, so no need for Exum.

Potential lineups for the Bucks:
1) Knight
2) Wiggins
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, and Adrien off of the bench.
A lot of youth and athleticism.  A team that, if the players develop, could be very, very good within 4 years.  Trade OJ for a veteran big.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Parker, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Still young and athletic, but your #1 overall draft pick is being blocked by 2 of your 3 best players, who are both very young.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Embiid, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Meh.  About the same team we had this year.

Guys I would love to see fall out of the first round to the Bucks in the 2nd (first 3 are unlikely):
McDermott, Mitch McGary, Big Dog 3.0, Napier, Lamar Patterson, Greek Freak's older bro (just 'cause)

Can we please add PJ Hairston to that list?

brandx

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
One guy that I have seen several scouts compare Parker to is the "Big Dog". I hadn't thought of it before, but it seems like a pretty good comparison.

Jabari has an outstanding mid-range game like Glenn did and also is not a guy who likes to drive it to the hoop too much Especially when a quicker guy is guarding him.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
You obviously haven't seen Embiid play. Comparing him to Thabeet is laughable. (Unless you mean he is tall and black.) I basically disagree with your entire analysis (as do NBA execs). If he hadn't had back issues this year, he would be the consensus #1 pick.

I've watched Embiid play several times.  His shot is slow and nowhere near as quick as Duncans.  He doesn't even come close to the post moves that Duncan has.  Embiid has a very limited repertoire when it comes to an offensive game.  There were times he exhibited a short midrange game, but that isn't anything to be excited about.  Embiid has played 3 or 4 years in his life.  He hasn't developed the muscle memory to be an offensive powerhouse in the NBA.  At KU there weren't any games where he was unstoppable offensively. 

The media is infatuated with any 7 foot big man that is athletic and begins to rave about how high the guy's ceiling is.  Seriously, how many 7 footers have come out early in the last 10 years that had the label "potential" tagged on them?  The majority of these people haven't lived up to expectations. 

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »
I was hoping he would transfer and follow Wojo to Marquette. 

brandx

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
I've watched Embiid play several times.  His shot is slow and nowhere near as quick as Duncans.  He doesn't even come close to the post moves that Duncan has.  Embiid has a very limited repertoire when it comes to an offensive game.  There were times he exhibited a short midrange game, but that isn't anything to be excited about.  Embiid has played 3 or 4 years in his life.  He hasn't developed the muscle memory to be an offensive powerhouse in the NBA.  At KU there weren't any games where he was unstoppable offensively. 

The media is infatuated with any 7 foot big man that is athletic and begins to rave about how high the guy's ceiling is.  Seriously, how many 7 footers have come out early in the last 10 years that had the label "potential" tagged on them?  The majority of these people haven't lived up to expectations. 

None!!!

Let's see. Last year - Alex Len and Steve Adams. Before that - Meyers Leonard, Valanciunis, Aldrich, Thabeet, Jordan Hill, Lopez twins, Armstrong, Bogut, Bynum, Swift.

That pretty much covers 6'11" - 7'ers taken in the 1st 12 picks in the last 10 years. Not one of these guys were rated anywhere near where Embiid is by scouts. Not close. Not even in the same area code.