[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jabari Parker Going Pro  (Read 6134 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Jabari Parker Going Pro
« on: April 17, 2014, 12:16:20 PM »
Do the Bucks take him?

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/10796477/jabari-parker-leaving-duke-blue-devils-enter-nba-draft

Duke freshman Jabari Parker is passing up his final three years of eligibility to enter the NBA draft.

The 6-foot-8 Parker, a consensus first-team All-America selection, joins Corey Maggette, Luol Deng, Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers as Blue Devils freshmen to enter the draft after just one year of college basketball. Irving was the No. 1 overall pick in 2011.

In an essay for Sports Illustrated that was released Thursday, Parker wrote: "I realize how much of a privilege and an honor it is to join the ranks of the NBA. I will do everything in my power to help deliver championships to the franchise that drafts me. At the same time, I recognize the obligation to represent the league in an admirable way off the court."

Parker also wrote that his one year at Duke "has been a cherished chapter in my life. I'm very fortunate to have worn the blue and white. And I will always carry with me the memories of playing in front of the Crazies at Cameron. Now it's time to write the next chapter."

"Jabari could not have been better," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement. "He is the epitome of what you would want a basketball player to be -- outstanding every day on the practice court and in the classroom and a very humble young man. He had a fantastic freshman year and is so deserving of the opportunity to play in the NBA and follow his dream."

Parker is projected as the No. 2 overall pick, behind one-and-done Kansas guard Andrew Wiggins, by ESPN NBA draft Insider Chad Ford.

The Chicago native led Duke to a 26-9 season. He averaged 19.1 points, 8.7 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 1.2 assists per game while setting or tying Duke freshman records for points (670), points per game, rebounds (306), double-doubles (14), double-figure scoring games (33) and 20-point games (18).

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Jabari Parker Going Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:35 PM »
Good to see he isn't a fool.  Didn't figure him for one.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
yes, they probably should

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
He'd be a nice addition to the Bucks.  Parker and the Greek Freak would be a matchup nightmare for teams.  Both of these guys can play inside and out.  Parker's defense is the huge question mark and that is the biggest deficiency of the Bucks.  Otherwise, you get a top notch character.  With Wojo in Milwaukee, it would be an added bonus for Marquette if Parker came to the Bucks.  The relationship those two have and the proximity could only aid in recruiting.  

I'm not as high on Wiggins.  He doesn't seem to have any leadership characteristics like Parker does.  Plus, where does Wiggins fit in on the Bucks?  He's a SG/SF as is the Greek Freak so there is overlap there.  Defensively, Wiggins reminds of Scottie Pippen.  The problem is that his offense is lacking.  Wiggins was stifled by zone defenses and doesn't have much of a midrange shot.  There were many times where he would stand on the perimeter and not even touch the ball.  He's a drive to the basket player who seems to rely on his athleticism to generate points.  For all of the points he scored in college, many of those baskets wouldn't fall in the NBA.  - that's my main concern.  

There's also the question of ........ what happens if we end up with the 3rd or 4th pick?  Who do we choose there?  Parker/Wiggins are 1 and 2 - I have no problem with either of them at #2.  

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
He'd be a nice addition to the Bucks.  Parker and the Greek Freak would be a matchup nightmare for teams.  Both of these guys can play inside and out.  Parker's defense is the huge question mark and that is the biggest deficiency of the Bucks.  Otherwise, you get a top notch character.  With Wojo in Milwaukee, it would be an added bonus for Marquette if Parker came to the Bucks.  The relationship those two have and the proximity could only aid in recruiting.  

I'm not as high on Wiggins.  He doesn't seem to have any leadership characteristics like Parker does.  Plus, where does Wiggins fit in on the Bucks?  He's a SG/SF as is the Greek Freak so there is overlap there.  Defensively, Wiggins reminds of Scottie Pippen.  The problem is that his offense is lacking.  Wiggins was stifled by zone defenses and doesn't have much of a midrange shot.  There were many times where he would stand on the perimeter and not even touch the ball.  He's a drive to the basket player who seems to rely on his athleticism to generate points.  For all of the points he scored in college, many of those baskets wouldn't fall in the NBA.  - that's my main concern.  

There's also the question of ........ what happens if we end up with the 3rd or 4th pick?  Who do we choose there?  Parker/Wiggins are 1 and 2 - I have no problem with either of them at #2.  

Steve Taylor too.  Parker and Taylor went to Simeon and are close friends.  Two years ago Parker came to MU midnight madness as a guest of Taylor, not as a recruit.

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
As a die hard Bucks if they get the number 1 or 2 pick and take Parker I'll be disappointed. He's a good consolation prize at 3 or 4 though.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »
As a die hard Bucks if they get the number 1 or 2 pick and take Parker I'll be disappointed. He's a good consolation prize at 3 or 4 though.

Not disagreeing, why Wiggins over Parker?

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »

also who is the other guy you want over Parker?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:54 PM »

I agree with your analysis.  Wiggins will be good, but he is too "Canadian" for my liking... I worry that if he ends up in MKE he bring a 'don't give a crap' type attitude with him.

I like Parker.  A lot.

I think where the Bucks pick determines who they take.  
1. Wiggins
2. Parker
3. Embiid (I have serious worries about picking him)
4. Dante Exum (honestly, probably the best fit for what the Bucks need)

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »

His upside is far greater then that of Parker. Wiggins actually scored with similar if not greater efficiency this year then Parker did. Wiggins can be an elite defender at the next level. I'm not sure who Parker is going to guard. People are saying that Parker is the safer pick... I'm not even sure that's true. When you combine what Wiggins can do defensively and what he's shown offensively he has a higher floor and higher ceiling than Parker. My opinion of course.

As far as who else I would take over Parker. Embiid, with the caveat that his back has no structural damage (remember there were similar questions about Drummond's back a few years ago) And if I were running the Bucks I'd take a long look at Exum over Parker as well. It's nothing against Parker. I would love to seem him on the Bucks. I'd just rather have those guys more.  

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
I don't know much about Exum, anyone actually seen much of him?

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
I don't know much about Exum, anyone actually seen much of him?

There are full games of his on YouTube if you have time to burn.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »
His upside is far greater then that of Parker. Wiggins actually scored with similar if not greater efficiency this year then Parker did. Wiggins can be an elite defender at the next level. I'm not sure who Parker is going to guard. People are saying that Parker is the safer pick... I'm not even sure that's true. When you combine what Wiggins can do defensively and what he's shown offensively he has a higher floor and higher ceiling than Parker. My opinion of course.

As far as who else I would take over Parker. Embiid, with the caveat that his back has no structural damage (remember there were similar questions about Drummond's back a few years ago) And if I were running the Bucks I'd take a long look at Exum over Parker as well. It's nothing against Parker. I would love to seem him on the Bucks. I'd just rather have those guys more.  

Exum is the "media forgotten" pick.  I've tried looking online for a game of his but there just isn't much.  Most of what I know about him is from reading.  Here's what I know about Exum:

6'5 - Super Quick - close to Allen Iverson quickness.  He has a crossover that will result in some nice youtube videos.  Some scouts project him as the "next" Kobe Bryant.  Others say that the talent he's playing against right now is comparable to Division 3 basketball.  I did read where he had a game where he scored 38 points or so.  Exum was extremely disappointed that he only shot about 30% from the floor, saying he wasn't efficient enough.  There are rumors, as well, that suggest he wants to leverage his way into a Lakers uniform.  I do know he has a relationship with Andrew Bogut and Bogut wanted out of Milwaukee.  

Embiid is a bust as far as I'm concerned.  He's the next Hasheem Thabeet.  For someone who just started playing basketball a few years ago, I don't think he has the skills needed.  Physically, he's too thin and will be abused down low.  Can his body hold up in an 82+ game season?  I don't think it can, and wouldn't take a risk with the back injury.  People see Hakeem Olaujuwon but he's not even close.  He just has a body like him and the quickness.  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:22 PM »
If the new owners don't fire Hammond I'm afraid he'll select McDermott if they don't get the #1 pick.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »
If the new owners don't fire Hammond I'm afraid he'll select McDermott if they don't get the #1 pick.

Personally, I think Hammond has done a decent job.  The only pick he really missed on was on Joe Alexander.  The Greek Freak was a huge coup @ #15.  Most of the NBA redraft pages have the Greek Freak going #1.  In fact, take a look at the redraft pages.  Hammonds almost always outperforms his pick slot.  As far as transactions go, (where most of the Hammond's scrutiny comes from) there's been confirmation that Herb Kohl influenced those decisions.  Nonetheless, Hammond looked like a genius trading Brandon Jennings and getting Brandon Knight in return.  I'd hate to seem him go and want to see what he can do when Kohl's mitts aren't getting dirty, calling for questionable player transactions. 

We have to be cautious that the new ownership, doesn't rock the boat, and bring in poor management.  We're not out of the woods, yet, with new owners. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »
Good points but Joe Alexander was a HUGE miss IMO.

brandx

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »

He is a guy with good basketball skills and instincts with off the charts athleticism.

I see Parker as more of a 'Melo type player - don't know that he can take a team and make it great. I think Wiggins can in a couple years and if Giannis is what they think he is, we will have to stars to build around

Stars also help drive the value of franchises to a certain extent, which may have had some influence on why these big money guys wanted in now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:25 PM »
Personally, I think Hammond has done a decent job.  The only pick he really missed on was on Joe Alexander.  The Greek Freak was a huge coup @ #15.  Most of the NBA redraft pages have the Greek Freak going #1.  In fact, take a look at the redraft pages.  Hammonds almost always outperforms his pick slot.  As far as transactions go, (where most of the Hammond's scrutiny comes from) there's been confirmation that Herb Kohl influenced those decisions.  Nonetheless, Hammond looked like a genius trading Brandon Jennings and getting Brandon Knight in return.  I'd hate to seem him go and want to see what he can do when Kohl's mitts aren't getting dirty, calling for questionable player transactions. 

We have to be cautious that the new ownership, doesn't rock the boat, and bring in poor management.  We're not out of the woods, yet, with new owners. 

+1

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
He is a guy with good basketball skills and instincts with off the charts athleticism.

I see Parker as more of a 'Melo type player - don't know that he can take a team and make it great. I think Wiggins can in a couple years and if Giannis is what they think he is, we will have to stars to build around

Stars also help drive the value of franchises to a certain extent, which may have had some influence on why these big money guys wanted in now.

I can see where you think Parker would be like Melo, but Parker is better.  Parker passes the ball much better than Melo ever did -probably even now.  Parker seems more polished as a team player than Melo, although, Melo this year probably got over that hump. 

Wiggins isn't good on offense at all and has major question marks.  Despite averaging 17 pts a game, he showed no leadership or any tenacity on the offensive end.  There were about 8 games where he shot below 32% this past season.  He even had a few that were below 20%.  Compare this to freshman years of other NBA stars and you'll see that the NBA stars didn't have that poor of a performance.  Plus, the guy was baffled when attacking a zone.  He doesn't move the ball around well either.  His strengths are on the defensive end and being athletic. 

Think of when Marvin Williams came out...... there are a few similarities.  Wiggins will be better than Williams, but, I think Wiggins has the chance to disappoint.  He's not going to put up big numbers on the offensive side of things. 

brandx

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
I can see where you think Parker would be like Melo, but Parker is better.  Parker passes the ball much better than Melo ever did -probably even now.  Parker seems more polished as a team player than Melo, although, Melo this year probably got over that hump. 

Wiggins isn't good on offense at all and has major question marks.  Despite averaging 17 pts a game, he showed no leadership or any tenacity on the offensive end.  There were about 8 games where he shot below 32% this past season.  He even had a few that were below 20%.  Compare this to freshman years of other NBA stars and you'll see that the NBA stars didn't have that poor of a performance.  Plus, the guy was baffled when attacking a zone.  He doesn't move the ball around well either.  His strengths are on the defensive end and being athletic. 

Think of when Marvin Williams came out...... there are a few similarities.  Wiggins will be better than Williams, but, I think Wiggins has the chance to disappoint.  He's not going to put up big numbers on the offensive side of things. 

Offensive game is better than it looked this year. UK's weakness was at PG. And they were a terrible passing team - averaged same amount of assists as Marquette. And started three freshmen.

I have no doubt he will be a 20 pt. scorer by his 3rd year if not sooner. Not in the Kobe/Michael class - but will be a lot closer to them than to Marvin Williams

leever

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 03:32:52 PM »
Offensive game is better than it looked this year. UK's weakness was at PG. And they were a terrible passing team - averaged same amount of assists as Marquette. And started three freshmen.

I have no doubt he will be a 20 pt. scorer by his 3rd year if not sooner. Not in the Kobe/Michael class - but will be a lot closer to them than to Marvin Williams

So, which one of those guys played for Kentucky?

brandx

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
So, which one of those guys played for Kentucky?

Coulda swore I knew how to type, but guess not :-\

QuetteHoops

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
The only thing that Thabeet and Embiid have in common are the repetitive vowels in their last names. I cant think of a worse comparison. When comparing Thabeets skill level to Embiids its not even close. Embiid crushes him in every category. And when it comes to athleticism and IQ...Embiid takes that too with ease.

The only thing that will make Embiid a bust is health. And thats a huge risk. But if it pays off he is a Duncan type cornerstone.

If you want to compare him to a recent bust. Oden would be a decent one.  If it wasn't for injuries Oden might be the best Center in the league right now.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »
The only thing that Thabeet and Embiid have in common are the repetitive vowels in their last names. I cant think of a worse comparison. When comparing Thabeets skill level to Embiids its not even close. Embiid crushes him in every category. And when it comes to athleticism and IQ...Embiid takes that too with ease.

The only thing that will make Embiid a bust is health. And thats a huge risk. But if it pays off he is a Duncan type cornerstone.

If you want to compare him to a recent bust. Oden would be a decent one.  If it wasn't for injuries Oden might be the best Center in the league right now.

Embiid is nowhere near Duncan on any level.  What a disgrace to Duncan.  Embiid has little, if any offensive game.  He doesn't have any offensive moves at all and is a project.  He can block shots and that's about it in the NBA - same as Thabeet.  Watch him become a backup center.  He doesn't have the bulk to play the front line in the NBA every night nor score at that level.  You could even argue that he didn't have the bulk to hold up in the college game either. 

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 04:12:38 PM »
Parker is considered a very good player, but by no means will be a star. Just doesn't have the athleticism that Embiid, Wiggins and Randle have.

At 5? Hell yeah. At 1 or 2 you take Embiid, Wiggins, then Randle. I am worried about Wiggins' killer instinct ability. That the main critique on him from KU people.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
Exum is the "media forgotten" pick.  I've tried looking online for a game of his but there just isn't much.  Most of what I know about him is from reading.  Here's what I know about Exum:

6'5 - Super Quick - close to Allen Iverson quickness.  He has a crossover that will result in some nice youtube videos.  Some scouts project him as the "next" Kobe Bryant.  Others say that the talent he's playing against right now is comparable to Division 3 basketball.  I did read where he had a game where he scored 38 points or so.  Exum was extremely disappointed that he only shot about 30% from the floor, saying he wasn't efficient enough.  There are rumors, as well, that suggest he wants to leverage his way into a Lakers uniform.  I do know he has a relationship with Andrew Bogut and Bogut wanted out of Milwaukee.  

Embiid is a bust as far as I'm concerned.  He's the next Hasheem Thabeet.  For someone who just started playing basketball a few years ago, I don't think he has the skills needed.  Physically, he's too thin and will be abused down low.  Can his body hold up in an 82+ game season?  I don't think it can, and wouldn't take a risk with the back injury.  People see Hakeem Olaujuwon but he's not even close.  He just has a body like him and the quickness.  

Here's a good video without a lot of info about Exum

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
When you are in the position that the Bucks are in, being a mediocre team in their very best recent years and the worst team in basketball this year, and you have to choose between a guy you know will be good but also know probably won't be great, or a guy who you know could be great or could be a bust, you have to take a risk.  Parker would help the team continue to be mediocre.  Wiggins could keep the franchise bad, but he could also help turn the franchise around.  Wiggins has a much, much higher ceiling.  Parker will average 15 and 8 for his career.  Wiggins could average 10 and 4 for his career, but he could also average 22, 6, and 4 for his career.  Also, the Bucks have Giannis at the 3 and Henson and Sanders at the 4/5.  Where is Parker going to play?  Split time with Giannis?  So your 2 best players play the same position?  Wiggins could play the 3 if you need him to, but he's a natural 2, which is exactly what the Bucks need.  And as far as Embiid for the Bucks, they already have 2 of him in Sanders and Henson.  No need for a 3rd tall, athletic, defensive minded post player.  Yes, Embiid will end up with a better career than those 2 (he will be a very good pro), but Sanders and Henson are both going to be very good.  Much greater need for a scoring wing.  Knight will be solid at the point for a while, so no need for Exum.

Potential lineups for the Bucks:
1) Knight
2) Wiggins
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, and Adrien off of the bench.
A lot of youth and athleticism.  A team that, if the players develop, could be very, very good within 4 years.  Trade OJ for a veteran big.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Parker, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Still young and athletic, but your #1 overall draft pick is being blocked by 2 of your 3 best players, who are both very young.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Embiid, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Meh.  About the same team we had this year.

Guys I would love to see fall out of the first round to the Bucks in the 2nd (first 3 are unlikely):
McDermott, Mitch McGary, Big Dog 3.0, Napier, Lamar Patterson, Greek Freak's older bro (just 'cause)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:50:08 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
Embiid is nowhere near Duncan on any level.  What a disgrace to Duncan.  Embiid has little, if any offensive game.  He doesn't have any offensive moves at all and is a project.  He can block shots and that's about it in the NBA - same as Thabeet.  Watch him become a backup center.  He doesn't have the bulk to play the front line in the NBA every night nor score at that level.  You could even argue that he didn't have the bulk to hold up in the college game either. 

You obviously haven't seen Embiid play. Comparing him to Thabeet is laughable. (Unless you mean he is tall and black.) I basically disagree with your entire analysis (as do NBA execs). If he hadn't had back issues this year, he would be the consensus #1 pick.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

I strongly disagree.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
When you are in the position that the Bucks are in, being a mediocre team in their very best recent years and the worst team in basketball this year, and you have to choose between a guy you know will be good but also know probably won't be great, or a guy who you know could be great or could be a bust, you have to take a risk.  Parker would help the team continue to be mediocre.  Wiggins could keep the franchise bad, but he could also help turn the franchise around.  Wiggins has a much, much higher ceiling.  Parker will average 15 and 8 for his career.  Wiggins could average 10 and 4 for his career, but he could also average 22, 6, and 4 for his career.  Also, the Bucks have Giannis at the 3 and Henson and Sanders at the 4/5.  Where is Parker going to play?  Split time with Giannis?  So your 2 best players play the same position?  Wiggins could play the 3 if you need him to, but he's a natural 2, which is exactly what the Bucks need.  And as far as Embiid for the Bucks, they already have 2 of him in Sanders and Henson.  No need for a 3rd tall, athletic, defensive minded post player.  Yes, Embiid will end up with a better career than those 2 (he will be a very good pro), but Sanders and Henson are both going to be very good.  Much greater need for a scoring wing.  Knight will be solid at the point for a while, so no need for Exum.

Potential lineups for the Bucks:
1) Knight
2) Wiggins
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, and Adrien off of the bench.
A lot of youth and athleticism.  A team that, if the players develop, could be very, very good within 4 years.  Trade OJ for a veteran big.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Parker, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Still young and athletic, but your #1 overall draft pick is being blocked by 2 of your 3 best players, who are both very young.

1) Knight
2) Mayo
3) Giannis
4) Henson
5) Sanders
Embiid, Wolters, Ersan, Middleton, Delfino, Zaza, Adrien off the bench.
Meh.  About the same team we had this year.

Guys I would love to see fall out of the first round to the Bucks in the 2nd (first 3 are unlikely):
McDermott, Mitch McGary, Big Dog 3.0, Napier, Lamar Patterson, Greek Freak's older bro (just 'cause)

Can we please add PJ Hairston to that list?

brandx

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 05:58:41 PM »
One guy that I have seen several scouts compare Parker to is the "Big Dog". I hadn't thought of it before, but it seems like a pretty good comparison.

Jabari has an outstanding mid-range game like Glenn did and also is not a guy who likes to drive it to the hoop too much Especially when a quicker guy is guarding him.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 06:13:20 PM »
You obviously haven't seen Embiid play. Comparing him to Thabeet is laughable. (Unless you mean he is tall and black.) I basically disagree with your entire analysis (as do NBA execs). If he hadn't had back issues this year, he would be the consensus #1 pick.

I've watched Embiid play several times.  His shot is slow and nowhere near as quick as Duncans.  He doesn't even come close to the post moves that Duncan has.  Embiid has a very limited repertoire when it comes to an offensive game.  There were times he exhibited a short midrange game, but that isn't anything to be excited about.  Embiid has played 3 or 4 years in his life.  He hasn't developed the muscle memory to be an offensive powerhouse in the NBA.  At KU there weren't any games where he was unstoppable offensively. 

The media is infatuated with any 7 foot big man that is athletic and begins to rave about how high the guy's ceiling is.  Seriously, how many 7 footers have come out early in the last 10 years that had the label "potential" tagged on them?  The majority of these people haven't lived up to expectations. 

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »
I was hoping he would transfer and follow Wojo to Marquette. 

brandx

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
I've watched Embiid play several times.  His shot is slow and nowhere near as quick as Duncans.  He doesn't even come close to the post moves that Duncan has.  Embiid has a very limited repertoire when it comes to an offensive game.  There were times he exhibited a short midrange game, but that isn't anything to be excited about.  Embiid has played 3 or 4 years in his life.  He hasn't developed the muscle memory to be an offensive powerhouse in the NBA.  At KU there weren't any games where he was unstoppable offensively. 

The media is infatuated with any 7 foot big man that is athletic and begins to rave about how high the guy's ceiling is.  Seriously, how many 7 footers have come out early in the last 10 years that had the label "potential" tagged on them?  The majority of these people haven't lived up to expectations. 

None!!!

Let's see. Last year - Alex Len and Steve Adams. Before that - Meyers Leonard, Valanciunis, Aldrich, Thabeet, Jordan Hill, Lopez twins, Armstrong, Bogut, Bynum, Swift.

That pretty much covers 6'11" - 7'ers taken in the 1st 12 picks in the last 10 years. Not one of these guys were rated anywhere near where Embiid is by scouts. Not close. Not even in the same area code.

feedback