[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Bucks owners want a new stadium how will that effect MQ hoops?  (Read 11420 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: New Bucks owners want a new stadium how will that effect MQ hoops?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
By about 2017, we'll know of it's the Milwaukee Bucks...or the Seattle Bucks...or the Kansas City Bucks...or the Louisville Bucks...or the Las Vegas Bucks...or the San Jose Bucks.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
If a new arena is built, would the Admirals want to stay at the BC cuz it's a hockey arena?

Well they better think on developing financing for another replacement in 25 years #planning ahead

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
why on gods unnatural carnal knowledgeing green earth would a new arena not go downtown. With 2-3 new high rise buildings going up downtown, moving the BC to west Milwaukee is just Absurd.

Warrior chick seems to be shooting her wrongness all over scoop today. There is no way MU would be stupid enough to stay at the Bradley Center, MU doesn't have the resources to manage an arena, while an NBA caliber one would be right across the street.

Marotta is behind the scenes talking to Cords about private financing from Alumni. the $200m combined from Kohl and the new owners won't be the ceiling.

With comments like this stupid, I can see why people are quitting scoop. a few new bars at an arena aren't going to drive bars and restaurants out of downtown Milwaukee, in fact the mystique of having a new arena should draw thousands of more fans. Only two years (2002 -2003, the 2nd and 3rd years of Miller Park, seasons where the brewers combined for 200 losses) was attendance at MP below 2 million fans. Previously the Brewers hadn't cracked 1.9m+ fans since 1989. If you build it, they will come. And they will go downtown for drinks and food before and after.

Look dumba$$.  You have no way to quantify your statements.  You have no idea how many or what types of businesses will be in the new arena.  Or for that matter what impact that they might have on the bars across the street from the BC.  Which by the way I have seen go empty quite a few times in recent years.  And dont discount the Milwaukee politicians f-ing this thing up just like they tried with the BC, the recent Hotels, the convention cetner etc.  There have been plenty of studies done showing there is not much of a positive impact on the local economy when building new arenas etc.  All of your stories above are just that.  Cute little anecdotes.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/03/1393781/bls-basketball-lockout/

BTW parking most definitely blows downtown.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

Without a doubt, except for Senior Day we always take a shuttle from a bar and drink our parking budget at that bar, we've made so many Warrior friends at that bar over the years I'd feel like a $2 hooker if we even changed what bar we went to for a shuttle.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
...or the Seattle Bucks...the Las Vegas Bucks...

Seatlle StarBucks?
For some reason the Las Vegas Buck$ has a ring to it?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
Parking at the BC is a piece of cake.  If you really want to pay, the ramp right next door is only $15 and you barely even have to walk outside, and there's unlimited free street parking within a 5 min. walk.  Compared to Miller Park where you pay $10 and your walk still might be more than 5 min.  Plus, you can get dropped off right at the front door if necessary.  In winter, a ton of bars within a block is infinitely better than walking across a windy parking lot.  I live to the north, so getting on I-43 N after a game is super easy, while getting out of Miller Park is a huge hassle.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
If a new arena is built, would the Admirals want to stay at the BC cuz it's a hockey arena?

Well they better think on developing financing for another replacement in 25 years #planning ahead

I have no idea. My guess would be yes.

You'd have Admirals and MU (hopefully) as tenants at the BC.

Bucks at the new arena.

Concerts and other events at both.

I hope MU would stay because of the scheduling flexibility it would allow them, not having to schedule around the Bucks home games. But who knows.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:33:53 PM by Bleuteaux »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
I have no idea. My guess would be yes.

You'd have Admirals and MU (hopefully) as tenants at the BC.

Bucks at the new arena.

I hope MU would stay because of the scheduling flexibility it would allow them, not having to schedule around the Bucks home games. But who knows.
Seriously?  If the Admirals stay at the BC, going to the Bucks Arena would be a no-brainer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
Maybe play some games at each, doesn't Villanova do that? Then we could play in Milwaukee during the tournament instead of the Badgers coming here.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »
Parking downtown blows massive chunks.

I haven't paid for parking for a Marquette game in years. Plenty of free street parking a couple of blocks north of the BC.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
Seriously?  If the Admirals stay at the BC, going to the Bucks Arena would be a no-brainer.

Why?

Rent at the BC would be dirt cheap.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
I think they got smaller....gotta get butts in seats, make the seats much less of a commodity by reducing supply.

They need to go 14000 to 16000, all new wireless technology, energy efficient, multi-use space.  I would also find a way to allow at least two mid-level concerts simultaneously.  Think of it as the Rave on steroids.  They could rake in a ton of dough if they had multi-concerts on week day nights in the summer and fall when there isn't basketball.

If the build a new NBA stadium, there is no way it has that small of capacity (of 14k-16k).  If the Bucks were anything less than 17,000, I'd be shocked.

If the goal of new NBA owners is to build a franchise, you have to be able to capitalize if you succeed... you can't do that with a tiny of a stadium.  Point in case, here are the capacities of the NBA franchises... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_arenas.  The smallest are New Orleans at 17,000 and Sacramento at 17,300.  

The dual concert idea is an interesting, but very ineffective... no way they'd be able to get their bang for their buck.  There are plenty of music venue options now with the Rave/Eagles, Pabst, Turner, and Riverside.  You would waste all that extra space and money inside the new arena for the 3 times a year you could book two concerts at once?  In Milwaukee?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
Who is MQ?

the abbreviation for Mequon

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
Why?

Rent at the BC would be dirt cheap.

I'd rather be in the state-of-the-art show palace across the street.  The difference in rent would be minimal, and I assume a more club-level focused seating arrangement would provide enough opportunity to make additional revenue.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
You are right...it can be a big albatross on a city if it's done wrong. See Coyotes, Phoenix and where they built that effing stadium.

Now...look at what Indianapolis did. They did it right. Put the thing downtown, keep a pro team there 45 nights (minimum), a top D1 hoops program 20 events minimum, a minor league hockey team 30 nights minimum and there's 1/3 of a year. Add in concerts and other events there, you are easily at 1/3 nights/days a year w/something going on there.

You build an arena where there's more for the modern fans of today to do things at (a kids-area to shoot hoops, dribble, pass...think Miller Park), and you also add on some restaurants/bars that are open year round and connect to the city, and not to mention, you make an attraction there to get fans to go to in the summer, etc (Bucks/MU hoops HOF) etc, and you could have a winner.  Then, add all the revenue of that, plus the impact it'd have on employment at restaurants, etc, not to mention the added perceived-value a pro-team has on a city as being "major", and it's a no-brainer to build.

Anyone that says no to a friggin tax of $1 on $500 or more is short-sighted as hell. Look at Miller Park for God's sake and the value that's given the ENTIRE region.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
You are right...it can be a big albatross on a city if it's done wrong. See Coyotes, Phoenix and where they built that effing stadium.

Now...look at what Indianapolis did. They did it right. Put the thing downtown, keep a pro team there 45 nights (minimum), a top D1 hoops program 20 events minimum, a minor league hockey team 30 nights minimum and there's 1/3 of a year. Add in concerts and other events there, you are easily at 1/3 nights/days a year w/something going on there.

You build an arena where there's more for the modern fans of today to do things at (a kids-area to shoot hoops, dribble, pass...think Miller Park), and you also add on some restaurants/bars that are open year round and connect to the city, and not to mention, you make an attraction there to get fans to go to in the summer, etc (Bucks/MU hoops HOF) etc, and you could have a winner.  Then, add all the revenue of that, plus the impact it'd have on employment at restaurants, etc, not to mention the added perceived-value a pro-team has on a city as being "major", and it's a no-brainer to build.

Anyone that says no to a friggin tax of $1 on $500 or more is short-sighted as hell. Look at Miller Park for God's sake and the value that's given the ENTIRE region.
BOOM +1

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
Look dumba$$.  You have no way to quantify your statements.  You have no idea how many or what types of businesses will be in the new arena.  Or for that matter what impact that they might have on the bars across the street from the BC.  Which by the way I have seen go empty quite a few times in recent years.  And dont discount the Milwaukee politicians f-ing this thing up just like they tried with the BC, the recent Hotels, the convention cetner etc.  There have been plenty of studies done showing there is not much of a positive impact on the local economy when building new arenas etc.  All of your stories above are just that.  Cute little anecdotes.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/03/1393781/bls-basketball-lockout/

Seriously bro, you're going to use a a think progress article and call me a dumbass? And then you're going to claim the growth in attendance at MP is a cute anecdote while still saying you have seen bars go empty quite a few times in recent years.  Seeing a few bars go empty... was that an economic impact study?  Attendance growth at Miller Park can be quantified. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/brewatte.shtml. I suggested that if more people attend events at the new BC, more of them could go to nearby bars and restaurants and that those nearby places could benefit, whereas you suggested that those bars would lose out because of facilities inside the arena.

Since you seem to believe that sports arena's don't have much economic impact, haven't you defeated your own argument?

but since you brought up economic impact: A Report by MMAC claims the gross dollar impact of the Bradley Center on the Metro Milwaukee area totals $204.5 million, with 2,350 jobs supported, generating $73.1 million in annual payroll. Those numbers could be inflated to make the sell the public on an arena and it is very difficult to show that subsidized arenas generate enough measurable economic activity to yield a positive ROI, but It could be that there are intangible benefits to being a "major league" city and having a vibrant downtown that go beyond the direct benefits associated with sporting events and concerts. Yes, Most studies make the case that public subsidies of a new arena are not worth the price. However for the 2nd time now, Milwaukee is in the unique position to have at least part of the new arena funded through private investment.

I'm not sure if you know the definition of an anecdote

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »
Seriously bro, you're going to use a a think progress article and call me a dumbass? And then you're going to claim the growth in attendance at MP is a cute anecdote while still saying you have seen bars go empty quite a few times in recent years.  Seeing a few bars go empty... was that an economic impact study?  Attendance growth at Miller Park can be quantified. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/brewatte.shtml. I suggested that if more people attend events at the new BC, more of them could go to nearby bars and restaurants and that those nearby places could benefit, whereas you suggested that those bars would lose out because of facilities inside the arena.

Since you seem to believe that sports arena's don't have much economic impact, haven't you defeated your own argument?

but since you brought up economic impact: A Report by MMAC claims the gross dollar impact of the Bradley Center on the Metro Milwaukee area totals $204.5 million, with 2,350 jobs supported, generating $73.1 million in annual payroll. Those numbers could be inflated to make the sell the public on an arena and it is very difficult to show that subsidized arenas generate enough measurable economic activity to yield a positive ROI, but It could be that there are intangible benefits to being a "major league" city and having a vibrant downtown that go beyond the direct benefits associated with sporting events and concerts. Yes, Most studies make the case that public subsidies of a new arena are not worth the price. However for the 2nd time now, Milwaukee is in the unique position to have at least part of the new arena funded through private investment.

I'm not sure if you know the definition of an anecdote

There have been hundreds and hundreds of studies done on this.  Sports teams and new arenas and their impact on the economy.  Look it up.  Its all over the place.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

GOO

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
I was against a new arena that is taxpayer financed.  However, if the cost is around 500M, and you have private donations of about 200M+, plus naming rights for the arena and other areas that may get up to another 50M to 100M over 20 years... I am for it.

Create a TIF for a hotel and restaurants built around it with the sales tax and real estate taxes going back to the arena.

I don't like tax subsidized businesses competing with private business, but that is too good to pass up for Milwaukee.  Getting a new arena for 200 to 250M can't be passed up by Milwaukee.  I'm for it if those numbers are close to accurate.

I have dinner and drinks when I attend games.  Usually not right near the BC, because those places are usually too crowded right before games.  I don't think that is too unusual. Third Ward and Walker's Point gets my pre and post game BC money.  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »
Isn't Silk still hoping to open a location downtown? How much can we put them down for investment-wise?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
I was against a new arena that is taxpayer financed.  However, if the cost is around 500M, and you have private donations of about 200M+, plus naming rights for the arena and other areas that may get up to another 50M to 100M over 20 years... I am for it.

Create a TIF for a hotel and restaurants built around it with the sales tax and real estate taxes going back to the arena.

I don't like tax subsidized businesses competing with private business, but that is too good to pass up for Milwaukee.  Getting a new arena for 200 to 250M can't be passed up by Milwaukee.  I'm for it if those numbers are close to accurate.

I have dinner and drinks when I attend games.  Usually not right near the BC, because those places are usually too crowded right before games.  I don't think that is too unusual. Third Ward and Walker's Point gets my pre and post game BC money.  
P.S. Any sales taxes earned at the arena also go to the arena.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
Great read on Grantland from Simmons...even with a tiny MU bball mention. 

http://grantland.com/features/the-worlds-most-exclusive-club/

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
You somehow ended up posting a weird link. Here's the real one.

http://grantland.com/features/the-worlds-most-exclusive-club/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
Seatlle StarBucks?

Well, we had Howard Starbuck's Great NBA Adventure and we all know had that ended up. No thank you.

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
They won't be competing against each other.  The new arena and BC will be under the same managment.  The U.S. Cellular/Mecca will be history.
They are adding a new scoreboard and replacing 8,000 seats. The US Cellular Arena is not going anywhere!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:19:41 PM by bradley center bat »