[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New Bucks owners want a new stadium how will that effect MQ hoops?  (Read 11331 times)

harigtad

• Walk-On
anyone have any insight?

MUfan12

• All American
Re: New Bucks owners want a new stadium how will that effect MQ hoops?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Who is MQ?

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »
If the question is whether they will be a tenant of the new building, I think given their attendance, beer sales, and relatively small number of dates, I would say absolutely and more likely whoever owns the new arena, should one be built, would absolutely clamor that MU stay

If the question is what will being in a new arena do for MU hoops, I would say only good things, assuming our play isn't affected for some odd reason

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:01 AM »
The only problem I see is higher beer prices
Bring back FFP!!!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
If the decision is made to leave the BC standing, Marquette should play hardball to get the best lease deal they can.  Having a second stadium will definitely make it a buyer's market.  There is no real incentive for Marquette to pay more to use the new arena.  The BC fits their needs, and for most games, there is adequate seating.

Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
What's MQ?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »
If the decision is made to leave the BC standing, Marquette should play hardball to get the best lease deal they can.  Having a second stadium will definitely make it a buyer's market.  There is no real incentive for Marquette to pay more to use the new arena.  The BC fits their needs, and for most games, there is adequate seating.

They won't be competing against each other.  The new arena and BC will be under the same managment.  The U.S. Cellular/Mecca will be history.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/goldeneagles.html

Marquette could get a real boost from new arena
By Michael Hunt of the Journal Sentinel   
April 16, 2014

The proposed downtown multipurpose arena, which got a $200 million jumpstart Wednesday, could really help the Golden Eagles in terms of recruiting, BMO Harris Bradley Center officials say.

So far, Marquette has remained behind the scenes in the arena discussion. The school has chosen to keep a low profile in what has been a politically uneven situation. But if the arena gets built, the school will continue to be a partner with the Bucks in sharing the building.

The Golden Eagles have the distinction right now of playing in an NBA arena, but other schools in the Big East have advantages with better home facilities.

----------

Regarding that last line ....

I think this is badly worded and he means the Bradley Center versus other NBA arenas that BE teams play in.  I don't think he means other BE teams have a better facilities than The AL.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
They won't be competing against each other.  The new arena and BC will be under the same managment.  The U.S. Cellular/Mecca will be history.

I am aware of that.  My point was that if MECCA wants to charge Marquette a huge increase in rent for playing in the new facility, they should say that they are fine staying in the BC at the old rent.  I'd rather have that difference plowed back into the athletic budget.
Have some patience, FFS.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »
If we're brought on board and asked for input, I have one design request: corner tunnels.  Few things about the BC bother me, but the gaping hole in the student section directly behind the backboard is one of them.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »

There is a reason season ticket holders drop off dramatically when the upper level begins.  I would still have my tickets could I have gotten my seats in the lower bowl.

The lower bowl is way too small at the BC.  I myself would have gone to at least 2x as many games had I not had to site in the upper level at the bc.  I know quite a few people that feel the same way.

Upper level issues:
Seats too small
seats dont have enough leg room
upper level way too steep

Proportion of seat between upper and lower level because of the hockey design is terrible.  Hopefully the new stadium will change this and MU will have an even better home court.

Plus it would be a nice selling point for recruits.

Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 12:19:25 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how many seats will be in this new arena?  Current BC holds about 18,000 - I know the largest NBA arenas accommodate around 23,000.  To me, adding almost 5,000 seats is ridiculous, given how there aren't that many sellouts.  I'm assuming there will be double stacked rows of corporate luxury boxes.  Hopefully, the extra seating comes in the lower levels.  However, I would assume the upper level seating isn't improved as much since seats will be added.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  The building is going to be revenue maximized, so the addition of luxury suits will be top priority. 

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
Does anyone have any idea how many seats will be in this new arena?  Current BC holds about 18,000 - I know the largest NBA arenas accommodate around 23,000.  To me, adding almost 5,000 seats is ridiculous, given how there aren't that many sellouts.  I'm assuming there will be double stacked rows of corporate luxury boxes.  Hopefully, the extra seating comes in the lower levels.  However, I would assume the upper level seating isn't improved as much since seats will be added.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  The building is going to be revenue maximized, so the addition of luxury suits will be top priority. 

Nobody even knows how they play on funding the arena yet.  So I doubt any substantial plans have been released.  I do believe that the NBA has certain minimum requirements nowadays for capacity, bars, restaurants, stores etc.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
Nobody even knows how they play on funding the arena yet.  So I doubt any substantial plans have been released.  I do believe that the NBA has certain minimum requirements nowadays for capacity, bars, restaurants, stores etc.

I get that the NBA wants to have certain minimum standards for arenas, but having requirements for bars, restaurants, and stores in new arenas seems like nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to give their owners more leverage at the bargaining table with public officials.  "I have to have a deluxe martini bar in the new stadium... the NBA requires it."
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »

I'd venture to guess they lower the number of seats. It's the way most all stadiums and ballparks are going. Less seats, more club seats, wider concourses, more concessions, more stuff to get attendees to open their wallet.

I'd still venture to guess it'll somewhere around 17,000-19,000 depending on the event (hockey vs basketball vs concerts). Can't see it only being 16,000. KC's Spring Center is a nice gauge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Center
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
Hopefully they don't put the new arena down by Miller Park to create a stadium district. I like it downtown.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
Hopefully they don't put the new arena down by Miller Park to create a stadium district. I like it downtown.

yeah, that would suck

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »

If they don't put it downtown, MU should definitely stay at the BC.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »
Kohl said he could kick in $100 million.  The new owners said they also would kick in $100 million.

Is this enough to gut the BC and completely redo it without building another barn?  Would this idea even work?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
I'd venture to guess they lower the number of seats. It's the way most all stadiums and ballparks are going. Less seats, more club seats, wider concourses, more concessions, more stuff to get attendees to open their wallet.

I'd still venture to guess it'll somewhere around 17,000-19,000 depending on the event (hockey vs basketball vs concerts). Can't see it only being 16,000. KC's Spring Center is a nice gauge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Center

I think they got smaller....gotta get butts in seats, make the seats much less of a commodity by reducing supply.

They need to go 14000 to 16000, all new wireless technology, energy efficient, multi-use space.  I would also find a way to allow at least two mid-level concerts simultaneously.  Think of it as the Rave on steroids.  They could rake in a ton of dough if they had multi-concerts on week day nights in the summer and fall when there isn't basketball.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

How much business would all the bars and restaurants lose if they moved the BC?  A lot ...  Between MU and Bucks you're losing about 60 events.  How boring would it be by Miller park?  What would you even do before the game?  I'm sure a few diehard tailgaters would be out there, which would be amusing ......but you lose out on a lot of revenue. 

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »
How much business would all the bars and restaurants lose if they moved the BC?  A lot ...  Between MU and Bucks you're losing about 60 events.  How boring would it be by Miller park?  What would you even do before the game?  I'm sure a few diehard tailgaters would be out there, which would be amusing ......but you lose out on a lot of revenue. 

Parking downtown blows massive chunks.

Local bars and restaurants are going to lose out, as the new arena will have its own more up to date and more hip competitors.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:46 PM »
Marquette should play hardball to get the best lease deal they can. 

Any chance they threaten to move the franchise to Seattle?

Death on call

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
why on gods unnatural carnal knowledgeing green earth would a new arena not go downtown. With 2-3 new high rise buildings going up downtown, moving the BC to west Milwaukee is just Absurd.

Warrior chick seems to be shooting her wrongness all over scoop today. There is no way MU would be stupid enough to stay at the Bradley Center, MU doesn't have the resources to manage an arena, while an NBA caliber one would be right across the street.

Marotta is behind the scenes talking to Cords about private financing from Alumni. the $200m combined from Kohl and the new owners won't be the ceiling.

Local bars and restaurants are going to lose out, as the new arena will have its own more up to date and more hip competitors.

With comments like this stupid, I can see why people are quitting scoop. a few new bars at an arena aren't going to drive bars and restaurants out of downtown Milwaukee, in fact the mystique of having a new arena should draw thousands of more fans. Only two years (2002 -2003, the 2nd and 3rd years of Miller Park, seasons where the brewers combined for 200 losses) was attendance at MP below 2 million fans. Previously the Brewers hadn't cracked 1.9m+ fans since 1989. If you build it, they will come. And they will go downtown for drinks and food before and after.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
Any chance they threaten to move the franchise to Seattle?

You can stop with your antagonizing, Bucks to Seattle rhetoric, Keefe.  I see someone is bored today.  lol. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
By about 2017, we'll know of it's the Milwaukee Bucks...or the Seattle Bucks...or the Kansas City Bucks...or the Louisville Bucks...or the Las Vegas Bucks...or the San Jose Bucks.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
If a new arena is built, would the Admirals want to stay at the BC cuz it's a hockey arena?

Well they better think on developing financing for another replacement in 25 years #planning ahead

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
why on gods unnatural carnal knowledgeing green earth would a new arena not go downtown. With 2-3 new high rise buildings going up downtown, moving the BC to west Milwaukee is just Absurd.

Warrior chick seems to be shooting her wrongness all over scoop today. There is no way MU would be stupid enough to stay at the Bradley Center, MU doesn't have the resources to manage an arena, while an NBA caliber one would be right across the street.

Marotta is behind the scenes talking to Cords about private financing from Alumni. the $200m combined from Kohl and the new owners won't be the ceiling.

With comments like this stupid, I can see why people are quitting scoop. a few new bars at an arena aren't going to drive bars and restaurants out of downtown Milwaukee, in fact the mystique of having a new arena should draw thousands of more fans. Only two years (2002 -2003, the 2nd and 3rd years of Miller Park, seasons where the brewers combined for 200 losses) was attendance at MP below 2 million fans. Previously the Brewers hadn't cracked 1.9m+ fans since 1989. If you build it, they will come. And they will go downtown for drinks and food before and after.

Look dumba$$.  You have no way to quantify your statements.  You have no idea how many or what types of businesses will be in the new arena.  Or for that matter what impact that they might have on the bars across the street from the BC.  Which by the way I have seen go empty quite a few times in recent years.  And dont discount the Milwaukee politicians f-ing this thing up just like they tried with the BC, the recent Hotels, the convention cetner etc.  There have been plenty of studies done showing there is not much of a positive impact on the local economy when building new arenas etc.  All of your stories above are just that.  Cute little anecdotes.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/03/1393781/bls-basketball-lockout/

BTW parking most definitely blows downtown.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

Without a doubt, except for Senior Day we always take a shuttle from a bar and drink our parking budget at that bar, we've made so many Warrior friends at that bar over the years I'd feel like a $2 hooker if we even changed what bar we went to for a shuttle.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 02:22:07 PM »
...or the Seattle Bucks...the Las Vegas Bucks...

Seatlle StarBucks?
For some reason the Las Vegas Buck$ has a ring to it?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »
Parking at the BC is a piece of cake.  If you really want to pay, the ramp right next door is only $15 and you barely even have to walk outside, and there's unlimited free street parking within a 5 min. walk.  Compared to Miller Park where you pay $10 and your walk still might be more than 5 min.  Plus, you can get dropped off right at the front door if necessary.  In winter, a ton of bars within a block is infinitely better than walking across a windy parking lot.  I live to the north, so getting on I-43 N after a game is super easy, while getting out of Miller Park is a huge hassle.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
If a new arena is built, would the Admirals want to stay at the BC cuz it's a hockey arena?

Well they better think on developing financing for another replacement in 25 years #planning ahead

I have no idea. My guess would be yes.

You'd have Admirals and MU (hopefully) as tenants at the BC.

Bucks at the new arena.

Concerts and other events at both.

I hope MU would stay because of the scheduling flexibility it would allow them, not having to schedule around the Bucks home games. But who knows.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:33:53 PM by Bleuteaux »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
I have no idea. My guess would be yes.

You'd have Admirals and MU (hopefully) as tenants at the BC.

Bucks at the new arena.

I hope MU would stay because of the scheduling flexibility it would allow them, not having to schedule around the Bucks home games. But who knows.
Seriously?  If the Admirals stay at the BC, going to the Bucks Arena would be a no-brainer.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:16 PM »
Maybe play some games at each, doesn't Villanova do that? Then we could play in Milwaukee during the tournament instead of the Badgers coming here.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:50 PM »

I haven't paid for parking for a Marquette game in years. Plenty of free street parking a couple of blocks north of the BC.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
Seriously?  If the Admirals stay at the BC, going to the Bucks Arena would be a no-brainer.

Why?

Rent at the BC would be dirt cheap.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
I think they got smaller....gotta get butts in seats, make the seats much less of a commodity by reducing supply.

They need to go 14000 to 16000, all new wireless technology, energy efficient, multi-use space.  I would also find a way to allow at least two mid-level concerts simultaneously.  Think of it as the Rave on steroids.  They could rake in a ton of dough if they had multi-concerts on week day nights in the summer and fall when there isn't basketball.

If the build a new NBA stadium, there is no way it has that small of capacity (of 14k-16k).  If the Bucks were anything less than 17,000, I'd be shocked.

If the goal of new NBA owners is to build a franchise, you have to be able to capitalize if you succeed... you can't do that with a tiny of a stadium.  Point in case, here are the capacities of the NBA franchises... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_arenas.  The smallest are New Orleans at 17,000 and Sacramento at 17,300.  

The dual concert idea is an interesting, but very ineffective... no way they'd be able to get their bang for their buck.  There are plenty of music venue options now with the Rave/Eagles, Pabst, Turner, and Riverside.  You would waste all that extra space and money inside the new arena for the 3 times a year you could book two concerts at once?  In Milwaukee?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
Who is MQ?

the abbreviation for Mequon

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »
Why?

Rent at the BC would be dirt cheap.

I'd rather be in the state-of-the-art show palace across the street.  The difference in rent would be minimal, and I assume a more club-level focused seating arrangement would provide enough opportunity to make additional revenue.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
You are right...it can be a big albatross on a city if it's done wrong. See Coyotes, Phoenix and where they built that effing stadium.

Now...look at what Indianapolis did. They did it right. Put the thing downtown, keep a pro team there 45 nights (minimum), a top D1 hoops program 20 events minimum, a minor league hockey team 30 nights minimum and there's 1/3 of a year. Add in concerts and other events there, you are easily at 1/3 nights/days a year w/something going on there.

You build an arena where there's more for the modern fans of today to do things at (a kids-area to shoot hoops, dribble, pass...think Miller Park), and you also add on some restaurants/bars that are open year round and connect to the city, and not to mention, you make an attraction there to get fans to go to in the summer, etc (Bucks/MU hoops HOF) etc, and you could have a winner.  Then, add all the revenue of that, plus the impact it'd have on employment at restaurants, etc, not to mention the added perceived-value a pro-team has on a city as being "major", and it's a no-brainer to build.

Anyone that says no to a friggin tax of $1 on $500 or more is short-sighted as hell. Look at Miller Park for God's sake and the value that's given the ENTIRE region.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:32 PM »
You are right...it can be a big albatross on a city if it's done wrong. See Coyotes, Phoenix and where they built that effing stadium.

Now...look at what Indianapolis did. They did it right. Put the thing downtown, keep a pro team there 45 nights (minimum), a top D1 hoops program 20 events minimum, a minor league hockey team 30 nights minimum and there's 1/3 of a year. Add in concerts and other events there, you are easily at 1/3 nights/days a year w/something going on there.

You build an arena where there's more for the modern fans of today to do things at (a kids-area to shoot hoops, dribble, pass...think Miller Park), and you also add on some restaurants/bars that are open year round and connect to the city, and not to mention, you make an attraction there to get fans to go to in the summer, etc (Bucks/MU hoops HOF) etc, and you could have a winner.  Then, add all the revenue of that, plus the impact it'd have on employment at restaurants, etc, not to mention the added perceived-value a pro-team has on a city as being "major", and it's a no-brainer to build.

Anyone that says no to a friggin tax of $1 on $500 or more is short-sighted as hell. Look at Miller Park for God's sake and the value that's given the ENTIRE region.
BOOM +1

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
Look dumba$$.  You have no way to quantify your statements.  You have no idea how many or what types of businesses will be in the new arena.  Or for that matter what impact that they might have on the bars across the street from the BC.  Which by the way I have seen go empty quite a few times in recent years.  And dont discount the Milwaukee politicians f-ing this thing up just like they tried with the BC, the recent Hotels, the convention cetner etc.  There have been plenty of studies done showing there is not much of a positive impact on the local economy when building new arenas etc.  All of your stories above are just that.  Cute little anecdotes.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/01/03/1393781/bls-basketball-lockout/

Seriously bro, you're going to use a a think progress article and call me a dumbass? And then you're going to claim the growth in attendance at MP is a cute anecdote while still saying you have seen bars go empty quite a few times in recent years.  Seeing a few bars go empty... was that an economic impact study?  Attendance growth at Miller Park can be quantified. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/brewatte.shtml. I suggested that if more people attend events at the new BC, more of them could go to nearby bars and restaurants and that those nearby places could benefit, whereas you suggested that those bars would lose out because of facilities inside the arena.

Since you seem to believe that sports arena's don't have much economic impact, haven't you defeated your own argument?

but since you brought up economic impact: A Report by MMAC claims the gross dollar impact of the Bradley Center on the Metro Milwaukee area totals $204.5 million, with 2,350 jobs supported, generating $73.1 million in annual payroll. Those numbers could be inflated to make the sell the public on an arena and it is very difficult to show that subsidized arenas generate enough measurable economic activity to yield a positive ROI, but It could be that there are intangible benefits to being a "major league" city and having a vibrant downtown that go beyond the direct benefits associated with sporting events and concerts. Yes, Most studies make the case that public subsidies of a new arena are not worth the price. However for the 2nd time now, Milwaukee is in the unique position to have at least part of the new arena funded through private investment.

I'm not sure if you know the definition of an anecdote

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 03:23:50 PM »
Seriously bro, you're going to use a a think progress article and call me a dumbass? And then you're going to claim the growth in attendance at MP is a cute anecdote while still saying you have seen bars go empty quite a few times in recent years.  Seeing a few bars go empty... was that an economic impact study?  Attendance growth at Miller Park can be quantified. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/brewatte.shtml. I suggested that if more people attend events at the new BC, more of them could go to nearby bars and restaurants and that those nearby places could benefit, whereas you suggested that those bars would lose out because of facilities inside the arena.

Since you seem to believe that sports arena's don't have much economic impact, haven't you defeated your own argument?

but since you brought up economic impact: A Report by MMAC claims the gross dollar impact of the Bradley Center on the Metro Milwaukee area totals $204.5 million, with 2,350 jobs supported, generating $73.1 million in annual payroll. Those numbers could be inflated to make the sell the public on an arena and it is very difficult to show that subsidized arenas generate enough measurable economic activity to yield a positive ROI, but It could be that there are intangible benefits to being a "major league" city and having a vibrant downtown that go beyond the direct benefits associated with sporting events and concerts. Yes, Most studies make the case that public subsidies of a new arena are not worth the price. However for the 2nd time now, Milwaukee is in the unique position to have at least part of the new arena funded through private investment.

I'm not sure if you know the definition of an anecdote

There have been hundreds and hundreds of studies done on this.  Sports teams and new arenas and their impact on the economy.  Look it up.  Its all over the place.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
I was against a new arena that is taxpayer financed.  However, if the cost is around 500M, and you have private donations of about 200M+, plus naming rights for the arena and other areas that may get up to another 50M to 100M over 20 years... I am for it.

Create a TIF for a hotel and restaurants built around it with the sales tax and real estate taxes going back to the arena.

I don't like tax subsidized businesses competing with private business, but that is too good to pass up for Milwaukee.  Getting a new arena for 200 to 250M can't be passed up by Milwaukee.  I'm for it if those numbers are close to accurate.

I have dinner and drinks when I attend games.  Usually not right near the BC, because those places are usually too crowded right before games.  I don't think that is too unusual. Third Ward and Walker's Point gets my pre and post game BC money.  

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »
Isn't Silk still hoping to open a location downtown? How much can we put them down for investment-wise?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
I was against a new arena that is taxpayer financed.  However, if the cost is around 500M, and you have private donations of about 200M+, plus naming rights for the arena and other areas that may get up to another 50M to 100M over 20 years... I am for it.

Create a TIF for a hotel and restaurants built around it with the sales tax and real estate taxes going back to the arena.

I don't like tax subsidized businesses competing with private business, but that is too good to pass up for Milwaukee.  Getting a new arena for 200 to 250M can't be passed up by Milwaukee.  I'm for it if those numbers are close to accurate.

I have dinner and drinks when I attend games.  Usually not right near the BC, because those places are usually too crowded right before games.  I don't think that is too unusual. Third Ward and Walker's Point gets my pre and post game BC money.  
P.S. Any sales taxes earned at the arena also go to the arena.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:41 PM »
Great read on Grantland from Simmons...even with a tiny MU bball mention. 

http://grantland.com/features/the-worlds-most-exclusive-club/

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
You somehow ended up posting a weird link. Here's the real one.

http://grantland.com/features/the-worlds-most-exclusive-club/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »
Seatlle StarBucks?

Well, we had Howard Starbuck's Great NBA Adventure and we all know had that ended up. No thank you.

Death on call

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »
They won't be competing against each other.  The new arena and BC will be under the same managment.  The U.S. Cellular/Mecca will be history.
They are adding a new scoreboard and replacing 8,000 seats. The US Cellular Arena is not going anywhere!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:19:41 PM by bradley center bat »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »
They could tear down the MECCA and the Theatre and build the arena on that block with skywalk connections to the convention center and BC.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
Look it up.  Its all over the place.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 05:23:11 PM »
They could tear down the MECCA and the Theatre and build the arena on that block with skywalk connections to the convention center and BC.

They just opened the Milwaukee Theatre in 2003.  It's a nice place and no chance they tear it down anytime soon. 

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
It doesn't seem viable to keep the BC once a new area is built.  Assuming the Bucks, MU, and Admirals move to the new arena, there are not enough events to put in the BC.  Most concerts and conventions will want to be in the new space.  Staying in the BC would not be an option.

TealOnly

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »
Possible dumb comment, but wouldn't the BC get the wrecking ball after the new joint is built? Who would play there - the Admirals, monster truck rallies and second fiddle concerts?  Seriously, who would buy boxes for that?  Seems like the cost for maintaining the BC would higher than the return.  Then again, the Astrodome has been vacant for years without liading it up with dynamite, so who knows.

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »
I would love a bigger version of the AL on campus. If it were possible.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
Parking at the BC is a piece of cake.  If you really want to pay, the ramp right next door is only $15 and you barely even have to walk outside, and there's unlimited free street parking within a 5 min. walk.  Compared to Miller Park where you pay $10 and your walk still might be more than 5 min.  Plus, you can get dropped off right at the front door if necessary.

Is that really all it costs to park in likely one of the most expensive lots in Milwaukee? Wow. No one should ever complain about the cost of parking if it's that low.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:42 AM »

What college team plays downtown Indy? Butler plays north of downtown at Hinckley (sp?).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2014, 11:28:17 AM »
What college team plays downtown Indy? Butler plays north of downtown at Hinckley (sp?).

No college team plays at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The Big Ten does have its tournament there every other year though.

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
Is that really all it costs to park in likely one of the most expensive lots in Milwaukee? Wow. No one should ever complain about the cost of parking if it's that low.

Every game I have been to, that ramp has always been at least $20.  Also, getting out of there after a crowded game can take over an hour.  An hour just to get out of that ramp...  that ramp is the absolute worst parking there is near the BC.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:45 AM »
The lower bowl is way too small at the BC.  I myself would have gone to at least 2x as many games had I not had to site in the upper level at the bc.  I know quite a few people that feel the same way.

Upper level issues:
Seats too small
seats dont have enough leg room
upper level way too steep

Proportion of seat between upper and lower level because of the hockey design is terrible.  Hopefully the new stadium will change this and MU will have an even better home court.

Plus it would be a nice selling point for recruits.

If upper level is not steep, you have the Rosemont Horizon (or whatever it's called now).  The steep angle keeps you closer to the court.  I went to MU / DP games at Rosemont and felt like I was a mile away from the court.  It will be nice having an arena designed for hoops.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
Our boy Marc Marotta said yesterday that the Bradley Center will need $100 Million in repairs to keep it open over the next ten years.  Obviously, with a new arena up and running in the next 3-4 years, there won't be enough business at the BC to support that.  He's laying the groundwork to have it demolished.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rdpatron

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »

Indianapolis is a pretty bad example. That city is still paying for the RCA Dome, which was largely financed with public money. The RCA Dome was demolished in 2008. They're going to be paying for it until 2021. Even if we finance a new arena, there's no guarantee that it or the Bucks will be here by the time we're done paying it off.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:26 PM »
If there's public financing for this new arena, it sounds like it will be in the $125-150 Million range.  Shouldn't take the life of the building to pay that off.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rdpatron

• Walk-On
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 02:39:48 PM »
Where are you getting the $125-150 million range? Everything I've heard has been that there's $200 million on the table now with potentially another $50 coming from naming rights. The cost is supposed to be between $400-500 million.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
They're going to have to come up with about another $100 Million in private money, whether it's minority owners, or some mix of developers/investors that can find a way to profit from the development (restaurants/shops/bars/hotels etc.).

Here's how I see the equation playing out:

$100 million from new Bucks owners
$100 million from Herb Kohl
$  50 million naming rights
$  75-100 million other private money as speculated above
$100-125 million public funding
$450 million total cost

If the public only has to come up with $100-125 million, I think we can find a way to get it done and I think it becomes a good ROI for the community.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 03:14:48 PM by BrewCity83 »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
They're going to have to come up with about another $100 Million in private money, whether it's minority owners, or some mix of developers/investors that can find a way to profit from the development (restaurants/shops/bars/hotels etc.).

Here's how I see the equation playing out:

$100 million from new Bucks owners
$100 million from Herb Kohl
$  50 million naming rights
$  75-100 million other private money as speculated above
$100-125 million public funding
$450 million total cost

If the public only has to come up with $100-125 million, I think we can find a way to get it done and I think it becomes a good ROI for the community.

Are we sure Kohls $100 million does not include naming rights (Kohl Center Milwaukee)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 03:57:25 PM »
At the initial presser they said that the naming rights would be in addition to the pledged $200 million from the owners.  They also said that the buyers have pledged at least $100 million toward a new building.

eroc830

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Are we sure Kohls $100 million does not include naming rights (Kohl Center Milwaukee)

Kohl specifically said he does not want the building named after him because he realizes the value of naming rights.  I'm sure Kohl's name will be on something substantial involving the area such as Kohl's Court for the Bucks floor, as Dennis Krause suggested.