[Today at 05:45:01 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why don't people use their real names on message boards?  (Read 17996 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Why don't people use their real names on message boards?
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
I'd make fewer dickish comments without anonymity, and I need that outlet.  Anyway, the last name is there, and I am not Joe. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 12:13:12 PM »

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
That's urban legend crapola.  The Ima part is true, not the "Ura" part.  I'm related to the Hogg's on my mother's side.  Ima Hogg was the daughter of a Texas governor, and had no sisters.  Or any brother with that name.  

Heard that when I lived in Houston.  Ima Hogg is still bad enough.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 12:20:34 PM »
Sorry, this may be a topic for the Superbar -- feel free to move it if so.

I recently changed my name from indymufan to my real name & face, and it made me curious about this question.

No big deal, but was just curious as to the reason -- protecting identities? Is it easier to criticize a screen name? Just what's always been done? More fun to be a screen name?
What do you have on under that v neck jersey, Maura?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 12:31:56 PM »
No need for the apostrophe anymore, Doc.  The mods are now again allowing the Milwaukee expression that could not be written.  See?  Aina!

Maybe, in honor of Wojo, we need to change that to "enna".

The Dictionary of American Regional English, my bible for this blog, actually gives its preferred spelling as ainna, and calls it an "interrogatory exclamation," or a "tag question," meaning something you ask at the end of a sentence. The regional English dictionary, much of which is based on field work from many decades ago, points out that the word was found chiefly in German settlement areas – including St. Louis as well as Milwaukee. But the dictionary also cites one of its southeastern Wisconsin informants as saying that a slightly different pronunciation, enna, was the "Polish version of Milwaukee aina." It's not the only such word in the regional dictionary, which also describes "innit" (short for "isn't it") as a tag question in the Cheyenne Indian dialect of English, and in south-central Oklahoma. "You're going up north, innit?" 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »
Sorry, this may be a topic for the Superbar -- feel free to move it if so.

I recently changed my name from indymufan to my real name & face, and it made me curious about this question.

No big deal, but was just curious as to the reason -- protecting identities? Is it easier to criticize a screen name? Just what's always been done? More fun to be a screen name?

To me, it simple....its more fun.  That's what Scoop is.

I've given out more than enough hints about myself over time.  A good friend who recently joined, pegged me within a day based on my scoop name.

Its also fun to figure out your fellow alum too.  I remember when I ID's JayBee at a Nike tournament....he was busted.  I run into him now quite a bit and enjoy talking MU hoops with him. 

Chicos gave out enough detail one day to ID him through LinkedIn.  No big deal....just part of the fun.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 12:51:06 PM »

Chicos gave out enough detail one day to ID him through LinkedIn.  No big deal....just part of the fun.

Chili, Are you a recuiter?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »
Maybe, in honor of Wojo, we need to change that to "enna".

The Dictionary of American Regional English, my bible for this blog, actually gives its preferred spelling as ainna, and calls it an "interrogatory exclamation," or a "tag question," meaning something you ask at the end of a sentence. The regional English dictionary, much of which is based on field work from many decades ago, points out that the word was found chiefly in German settlement areas – including St. Louis as well as Milwaukee. But the dictionary also cites one of its southeastern Wisconsin informants as saying that a slightly different pronunciation, enna, was the "Polish version of Milwaukee aina." It's not the only such word in the regional dictionary, which also describes "innit" (short for "isn't it") as a tag question in the Cheyenne Indian dialect of English, and in south-central Oklahoma. "You're going up north, innit?" 

Even Asian cultures us the interrogatory exclamation. The Japanese add "neh" to the end of questions to soften the impact for a culture that values the indirect. The Japanese also add "yo" to the end of statements, again to make them less threatening or accusing.

Throughout SE Asia Hokkien, Hakka, and Bahasa speakers add "lah" to the end of sentences for the same reason as the Japanese "yo" or the Milwaukee "aina." What's interesting is that the "lah" is added even when speaking English and intonation is used to convey different meanings - frustration, agreement, anger, dismay. In Indonesia, Bahasa speakers add the word "kan" to make statements more emphatic.

My son lives in Italy and speaks Italian. He pointed out that contemporary Italian is similar to Bahasa or Mandarin in that it is a unifying language. And like Bahasa, it has a fairly limited vocabulary which is why Italians have developed gesticulation, gesture, and motion to overcome the limitations of communicating in their language.

The human experience is far more similar than we credit. People seek the differences when the commonalities are more relevant.

Death on call

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »
I've never even really been curious about what anybody's name on here is.  Not even for a second.  If you told me I would probably forget it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
You meant to say you like to divorce "real life" from things unrelated to Marquette basketball, of course

Thank you for fixing it for me  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »
Chili, Are you a recuiter?

That's a part of what I do.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
Even Asian cultures us the interrogatory exclamation. The Japanese add "neh" to the end of questions to soften the impact for a culture that values the indirect. The Japanese also add "yo" to the end of statements, again to make them less threatening or accusing.

Throughout SE Asia Hokkien, Hakka, and Bahasa speakers add "lah" to the end of sentences for the same reason as the Japanese "yo" or the Milwaukee "aina." What's interesting is that the "lah" is added even when speaking English and intonation is used to convey different meanings - frustration, agreement, anger, dismay. In Indonesia, Bahasa speakers add the word "kan" to make statements more emphatic.

My son lives in Italy and speaks Italian. He pointed out that contemporary Italian is similar to Bahasa or Mandarin in that it is a unifying language. And like Bahasa, it has a fairly limited vocabulary which is why Italians have developed gesticulation, gesture, and motion to overcome the limitations of communicating in their language.

The human experience is far more similar than we credit. People seek the differences when the commonalities are more relevant.

I was going to throw out Italians, throwing "ma" at the end of a sentance.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:24 PM »
That's a part of what I do.

Real Chili 83: Poet, Athlete, Scholar, Cocksman, Fisherman, Adventurer, Warrior, and Scooper. Today's Renaissance Man.

Death on call

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
Fixed
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
Fixed

LOL

I was on campus this week, and didn't even make it to RC.  Had breakfast twice at the Broken Yolk and lunch at Soblemans though!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Everyone that uses their real name gets checked out on CCAP by others

#changemyuserid/avatar
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:11:54 PM by Tyrion »

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
As an example, I knew one poster here in college and thought he was just the biggest annoyance and idiot.  As a result whether he has cogent points or not I tend to dismiss them out of hand.  Is that my problem, absolutely, but I like being able to divorce "real life" from the MU basketball stuff here.

You have to be talking about Kenosha   ;D

GOO

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »
Let me see if I understand.  You want me to give my real name to some of the whack jobs that post on these boards?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:01 PM »
My real name is Robert A. Wild of the Society of Jesus

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »
???   I don't understand.  My real name is being used..... 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »
What I would find mildly interesting is for everyone to wear their MUScoop nametag at some future basketball event.  For instance, chick and I were at Tuesday's awards event.  Were any of you?  Did we meet and not know it?

As to using my real name, I wouldn't be opposed.  There are members of this board who know who I am simply because they knew me back in the day.  There are other members of this board who are friends with my kids today and 'know' me as a result.  Frankly, I don't think I have much to hide.

And now that 'Indy' is 'out', I guess there are three ladies on the board.  Will wonders never cease.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
Murs, I noticed you changed your avatar.  Is that Maura's full body pic?

I lived in the Lighthouse and graduated in 1984.  You've got a 1 in 10 chance of figuring out who I am.  And no, my name isn't Pat McGroin or Haywood Jablomee.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
Also, a few years back, one of our posters started calling people out by name when he was angry with them.   And they hadn't posted their names, he just gleaned it from e-mail addresses.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »
I was at banquet/.  I was wearing blue sport coat...   ;)

feedback