[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Which Is A Better Team Next Year?

Buzz Stays, JJJ and Taylor, Leave, All Recruits Come
17 (16%)
Wojo Comes, JJJ and Taylor Stay, Shayok and Hill Go Elsewhere
89 (84%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Which is a Better Team?  (Read 3989 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Which is a Better Team?
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:55:39 AM »
Remember if Buzz stayed JJJ and Taylor were leaving, maybe more players as well.

Wojo comes and they all stay but we lose Shayok, Hill and we await Peirce's decision.

No scenario has all players and all recruits staying.  Some were going one way or the other.

Given these two choices, I think the Wojo team is a better team on paper than the team we would have next year if Buzz stayed.  Agree?

The wild card is Wojo's coaching ability.

Thoughts?

CAGASS24

• All American
Re: Which is a Better Team?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
Tough to say; in hindsight I'm def happier rooting for the wojo team than a coach that is coming off a season where he 'lost' his team...

M opinion is that regardless we can be a very good team next year

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
The wild card is Buzz's attitude.  

Does he coach to maximize wins, like in his first 5 years, or does he coach to make a point to the administration about getting the "right kind" of players?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
Fact is if Buzz stays we KNOW Hill, Shayok and Pierce are here next year. MAYBE Steve and JJJ would be gone - maybe not.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
Fact is if Buzz stays we KNOW Hill, Shayok and Pierce are here next year. MAYBE Steve and JJJ would be gone - maybe not.

No, they were both out if Buzz was here.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »
No, they were both out if Buzz was here.

+1

They both said they were leaving if Buzz stayed.

Better question is who else might have bolted? Moot now.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
Better team if Buzz stays. 

The problem we are going to have is that we have 3 rosters spots we are going to have to fill and all the good players are gone.  So instead of having back to back strong recruiting classes, we have a year where we basically whiff. 

Add to the fact that Wojo is late to the game on players like Ellenson, Stone and Schwartz.  Very good state players who will be picking schools in the next 6 months and Wojo has to go up against teams and coaches that already have strong relationships with these players so do we follow up a bad recruiting year with a so-so recruiting year.

And finally, while Buzz stunk it up this year, he is still a very good coach who has already gone through the learning curve of being an inexperienced head coach where Wojo is probably where Buzz was 6 years ago. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
+1

They both said they were leaving if Buzz stayed.

Better question is who else might have bolted? Moot now.

I stand corrected then. I didn't see the quotes from Steve and JJJ saying they were leaving. Could you provide them? Thanks in advance.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
This is a good question, but I think we will be better off with Buzz having left. I don't think there is any doubt that Buzz lost the team in a very big way. Having our seniors l(and a couple others) leave wouldn't necessarily reset he situation. There would still be underlying mistrust, or fatigue or whatever it is. That kind of thing is tough to eradicate.

If you ask me, Buzz leaving was as much about losing the team as it was about the administration (rightly or wrongly) "messing with happy."

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
I stand corrected then. I didn't see the quotes from Steve and JJJ saying they were leaving. Could you provide them? Thanks in advance.

Holy crap Lenny are you going to become the new "Equalizer"?  It is hard enough dealing with her and the constant negativity from a Crean slant, now are we going to get the same with you and Buzz?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:21 AM »
If the new recruits came, and Buzz landed a couple of quality JUCO's to replace JJJ and STjr.....probably the team with Buzz.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »
Holy crap Lenny are you going to become the new "Equalizer"?  It is hard enough dealing with her and the constant negativity from a Crean slant, now are we going to get the same with you and Buzz?

Uh, I'm pretty sure he just asked to see the comments from Steve and JJJ about leaving if Buzz stayed. I'm not sure that constitutes "constant negativity from a Buzz slant".

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »

Too lazy to find them.  But see Hunt's piece this week.

The headline is JJJ and Taylor are staying BECAUSE they said they were leaving if Buzz stayed and unsure about Wojo.  Days later they cryptically tweeted they were staying.  It wasn't clear, however, until Wojo made it clear on Tuesday.

So it you're trading Buzz Shayok and Hill for Wojo, JJJ and Taylor, I'll take the later.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/255424321.html

Wojo says Taylor and Johnson are coming back
April 15, 2014
By Michael Hunt

On the day Steve Wojciechowski was hired, sophomore forward Steve Taylor Jr. and freshman guard Jajaun Johnson said they weren't sure if they would return to Marquette.

But Wojciechowski said Tuesday night before the team's annual banquet that all nine underclassmen were coming back.

Taylor and Johnson fell out of the rotation this past season under former coach Buzz Williams.

"My No. 1 priority has spending time with the players, developing a relationship with them and getting to know them as people and players and for them to get to know me as a person and as a coach," Wojciechowski said. "I’ve been very pleased with that. Not only have I been accepted by them, I’ve been embraced by them. That’s encouraging for me."

Wojo said he never asked Taylor or Johnson if they were coming back. Instead, he told all the players, "Let's develop a relationship and see how it goes."

Meanwhile, the new coach said he's still working with the four incoming freshmen who have signed scholarships. Sandy Cohen of Seymour has announced he's going to play at Marquette, but the Golden Eagles are still waiting to hear from top recruit Ahmed Hill of Augusta, Ga.

"We’re still working through that," Wojciechowski said. "When you haven’t stepped on the Marquette campus and put the uniform on it’s harder to appreciate what a special place it is."

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:49:08 PM by Heisenberg »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
So there aren't any quotes from Steve or JJJ saying that they were leaving if Buzz returned. I'll rescind my apology to those who said there were.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »

Holy crap, Dano, since when is calling out guys who are claiming possibilities are facts negative? Or positive? Or anything other than trying to be fair?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »
So there aren't any quotes from Steve or JJJ saying that they were leaving if Buzz returned. I'll rescind my apology to those who said there were.

Search the site around the day they announced Wojo as coach (April 2).

That is as far as I'm going to cover your laziness.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
Better team if Buzz stays. 

The problem we are going to have is that we have 3 rosters spots we are going to have to fill and all the good players are gone.  So instead of having back to back strong recruiting classes, we have a year where we basically whiff. 

Add to the fact that Wojo is late to the game on players like Ellenson, Stone and Schwartz.  Very good state players who will be picking schools in the next 6 months and Wojo has to go up against teams and coaches that already have strong relationships with these players so do we follow up a bad recruiting year with a so-so recruiting year.

And finally, while Buzz stunk it up this year, he is still a very good coach who has already gone through the learning curve of being an inexperienced head coach where Wojo is probably where Buzz was 6 years ago. 

At least opposing coaches won't be telling recruits that Marquette's coach is ready to jump at the first good job out there. Not for a couple of years, anyway!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 05:16:10 PM »
Holy crap, Dano, since when is calling out guys who are claiming possibilities are facts negative? Or positive? Or anything other than trying to be fair?

I have enjoyed your posts over the years.  I just worry we will lose another poster to defending the previous regime versus cheering for Marquette.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:55 PM »
Did they ever come out and say that they were leaving if Buzz returned or are people just reading between the lines based on other statements?  To be honest, I can't remember ever reading direct quotes.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 06:55:06 PM »
I thought the Paint Touches article on the day Wojo was hired about Taylor saying he was most likely going to leave if Buzz stayed. I don't know if he explicitly said the words, but it was strongly hinted. I think they mentioned something similar from an interview with JJJ. He might not have said the words, but it was very strongly hinted he was considering and likely leaving.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
Thanks Cheebs.  I never saw those. I'll have to go back and take a look.

feedback