[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2014 recruiting class  (Read 11097 times)

cnse70

• Walk-On
Re: 2014 recruiting class
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
Here you go:

http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2014

Yes I know, but that appears to be the pre-Burt leaving list.  I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly), Wojo has a different list.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
UPDATE: #81 National Recruiting class now @ 247.

Top 20 with Buzz & then 5 commits

and yes.....Virgina Tech has already moved up to #58

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »

FIRE WOJO!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:47 AM »
FIRE WOJO!

Bruce Pearl already has a top 50 class @ Auburn.

I'm just saying

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »

Who has Brent signed at VT?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 11:20:51 AM »
Who has Brent signed at VT?

Inherited two committed prospects that are staying on board. & has Pierce and Hill on campus this weekend. Could be moving up abit

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »

Bruce Pearl already has a top 50 class @ Auburn.

I'm just saying

FIRE WOJO!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »
We must give WOJO the standard five year time frame before we draw any conclusions!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
I think its perfectly reasonable to have some concerns about Wojo's ability to recruit top level talent to MU.  The inability to hold on to Hill and the other 2, while I don't think its devastating, certainly doesn't do much to reduce that concern.  The prior 2 assistances hired, O'Neill and Crean, came in with BIG reps as recruiters.  As I recall O'Neill was voted the best recruiter in the nation and Crean was close.  Wojo did fine at Duke but Duke is such a unique program (only Kentucky, Kansas and NC could be considered in their strata) that its really hard to judge.  While keeping the 2 Wisconsin kids is a good start its hardly a miracle.  To even out the classes and get the program where it has some depth he is going to have to get some Jucos or transfers.  In those cases he is going to have to take some chances and beat out other programs considered equal to MU.  If we just bank the scholarships or bring in some bench players to fill out the roster that is going to raise my level of concern.     

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:32 PM »
Hoping for Naimon Wright.

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
I think its perfectly reasonable to have some concerns about Wojo's ability to recruit top level talent to MU.  The inability to hold on to Hill and the other 2, while I don't think its devastating, certainly doesn't do much to reduce that concern.  The prior 2 assistances hired, O'Neill and Crean, came in with BIG reps as recruiters.  As I recall O'Neill was voted the best recruiter in the nation and Crean was close.  Wojo did fine at Duke but Duke is such a unique program (only Kentucky, Kansas and NC could be considered in their strata) that its really hard to judge.  While keeping the 2 Wisconsin kids is a good start its hardly a miracle.  To even out the classes and get the program where it has some depth he is going to have to get some Jucos or transfers.  In those cases he is going to have to take some chances and beat out other programs considered equal to MU.  If we just bank the scholarships or bring in some bench players to fill out the roster that is going to raise my level of concern.     

Maybe Wojo didnt want to keep Hill, Shayok and Pierce? Who knows!

Im interested in seeing what Wojo does with the remaining 3 scholarships.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »
We must give WOJO the standard five year time frame before we draw any conclusions!

It's sad that MU has an, often quoted, standard time frame.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
Duke is such a unique program (only Kentucky, Kansas and NC could be considered in their strata)     

WHAT! No INDIANA?

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »
I think its perfectly reasonable to have some concerns about Wojo's ability to recruit top level talent to MU. 

Jeesus H. Christopher! The guy hasn't even been on campus for a month!

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be perfectly reasonable and give the guy, oh I don't know, maybe a year or two before we get overly concerned about anything.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »
It's sad that MU has an, often quoted, standard time frame.

I didn't feel the need to use teal.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
I didn't feel the need to use teal.

You're joking, but I'm serious. It's like we can't find or keep a good coach, so that quote is constantly brought up.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 02:29:40 PM »

While the recruits we lost were all good prospects, you make it sound like Wojo let a once in a lifetime recruiting class slip through his fingers. He got the players that are big MU fans to stay while the players more tied to Brent are the ones that left. Let's wait until the end of the signing period before we throw our hands up and declare Wojo a failure...especially compared to the likes of Tom Crean.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »
Not like Burt was the mother of big time college recruitin', hey? Door swings both ways. Steve's got it right. His primary responsibility is to the cats already in the program. Just let the man recruit his own type of playa and do the job he was hired to do.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
You're joking, but I'm serious. It's like we can't find or keep a good coach, so that quote is constantly brought up.

Seriously, unless we can find our "Mark Few" like Gonzaga has we will all have to face a harsh reality every now and then.  Let's hope we find him ASAP.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »
Shout out to Sandy Cohen! Thank goodness Wojo got him to stay.

V-Tech to #29 class now after nabbing Hill & Pierce  :o I honestly didn't think Buzz would land a top 30 class this soon if ever

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:55 AM »

V-Tech to #29 class now after nabbing Hill & Pierce  :o I honestly didn't think Buzz would land a top 30 class this soon if ever

Right now, we love hatin' on Buzz. But the man was a very good recruiter -- a string of solid players and outstanding JUCOs followed by 2 straight top-15 classes.

We like to think MU is vastly superior to Va Tech -- and we're right -- but this underscores that the majority of these kids are lured by the coach, not the school.

Now that he's not ours, we like to make fun of Buzz's schtick, but I've seen little evidence that it isn't successful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
Shout out to Sandy Cohen! Thank goodness Wojo got him to stay.

Maybe we should have hired Cuonzo ... he would have brought Kingsley Okoroh*** with him.

This is the problem with hiring an assistant ... they don't have relationships (yet) with recruits.  Hire a retread like Cuonzo or Brent and guys follow them.  Coaches recruit, not schools.

That said, all we need is one serviceable big man and some luck that no one gets hurt or severely underperformed expectations and next year's team will be fine, certainty better than 17-15.

Yes I know serviceable big men are hard to find.  But a Sophomore year Otule is what I'm hoping for.  

***  Kingsley Okoroh committed to Tennessee the day Cuonzo left and an hour later he decommited and committed to Cal to go with Cuonzo.  He's 7'1' 245 center

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
Maybe we should have hired Cuonzo ... he would have brought Kingsley Okoroh*** with him.

This is the problem with hiring an assistant ... they don't have relationships (yet) with recruits.  Hire a retread like Cuonzo or Brent and guys follow them.  Coaches recruit, not schools.

That said, all we need is one serviceable big man and some luck that no one gets hurt or severely underperformed expectations and next year's team will be fine, certainty better than 17-15.

Yes I know serviceable big men are hard to find.  But a Sophomore year Otule is what I'm hoping for.  

***  Kingsley Okoroh committed to Tennessee the day Cuonzo left and an hour later he decommited and committed to Cal to go with Cuonzo.  He's 7'1' 245 center

He's also one of Cuonzo's 2 star specials. Sounds you think we need to start recruiting guys based on their size rather than their talent level. You also don't seem to understand that hiring a coach is for the long term. If we had hired Cuonzo based on him being able to hold our recruiting class together that would show incredibly shortsighted thinking. Wojo will be fine, he's will known on the AAU circuit and more connected than you give him credit for. Let's see how he does with next year's class. If all goes well it has the potential to be as good or better than any of Brent's classes.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
He's also one of Cuonzo's 2 star specials. Sounds you think we need to start recruiting guys based on their size rather than their talent level. You also don't seem to understand that hiring a coach is for the long term. If we had hired Cuonzo based on him being able to hold our recruiting class together that would show incredibly shortsighted thinking. Wojo will be fine, he's will known on the AAU circuit and more connected than you give him credit for. Let's see how he does with next year's class. If all goes well it has the potential to be as good or better than any of Brent's classes.

You misunderstood me ... I was agreeing with you.  Coaches recruit, not schools.  No surprise that recruits follow the coach.

Yes Wojo was the better hire ... certainly better than Cuonzo.  Give him sometime and he will be able to recruit.