[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2014 recruiting class  (Read 11185 times)

WarriorPride68

• All American
2014 recruiting class
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:45 AM »
The 2014 recruiting class was simply magnificent. Top 20 ranking @ Rivals, 247, & ESPN.

After Hill de-committed, 247 dropped Marquette into the mid 50's now.

With Shayok one foot out the door, and nobody overly confident with Pierce; this class looks to be going up in flames (as expected, since Buzz's guys).

Should we still expect a 4 man class? Or roll over a schollie for 2015? Thanks in advance guys!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: 2014 recruiting class
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
Never ever ever ever ever bank or roll over scholarships.  That is nothing but a self-imposed penalty.

Right now we have 9 returning players and Cohen, 10 players for sure.  Three open scholarships as we await Pierce and Shayok decisions (I'm assuming their a small possibility that Shayok can be re-recrited while Hll is moving on).  

We need mroe than 10 bodies.  Wojo needs to get more guys.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
Stinks we are losing some talent yes, but let's not forget that Wojo is out there right now recruiting too; significant opportunities abound

My concern is I have heard that despite their public commitments, Burton and DuWilson are still considering other options - as in, they've likely 'been informed', however that may have occurred, about opportunities at other universities - top flight ones

Anyone else heard similar?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:32:52 AM »
Stinks we are losing some talent yes, but let's not forget that Wojo is out there right now recruiting too; significant opportunities abound

My concern is I have heard that despite their public commitments, Burton and DuWilson are still considering other options - as in, they've likely 'been informed', however that may have occurred, about opportunities at other universities - top flight ones

Everything says this is 100% wrong.

Duane Wilson personally intervened to get Cohen to stay with MU.  Burton was the first play to say he was staying BEFORE we found out who was the coach.

Either you are trolling or have been trolled.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »
This was heard face to face - and the context was that they have been 'contacted' AFTER they made those statements - so what you are saying and what i am saying are not mutually exclusive -

in other words, like someone might say "if the lakers call, you answer the phone, even if you are the coach of _______, " I have heard that at least one program with serious serious clout has 'contacted' someone close to one of these guys to let them know theyre interested.

I don't want to believe it, just wondering if anyone else has heard hints of the same

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »

Is Wojo out recruiting Myles Turner  ;)?

In all honesty though; this is mid April & almost all top seniors are off the board or extremely close to committing to a program. Wojo has work to do, being behind. JUCO/Transfers seem to be most plausible

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:33 AM »
This was heard face to face - and the context was that they have been 'contacted' AFTER they made those statements - so what you are saying and what i am saying are not mutually exclusive -

in other words, like someone might say "if the lakers call, you answer the phone, even if you are the coach of _______, " I have heard that at least one program with serious serious clout has 'contacted' someone close to one of these guys to let them know theyre interested.

I don't want to believe it, just wondering if anyone else has heard hints of the same

Was that Wojo at Duke before he took the MU job? :)

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:49:30 AM »
I would hope he wasn't pulling skeezy moves like that

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:50:15 AM »

Heard the exact opposite, and I am far more confident in my information.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
I like those connotations!!!!!! Thanks for the scoop-

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 09:03:27 AM »

Would the exact opposite be along the lines of "schools with clout are not interested" so they should stay put and be happy where they are?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »

Was this "fact-to-face" yesterday or earlier this morning?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/255424321.html

Wojo says Taylor and Johnson are coming back
April 15, 2014
By Michael Hunt

On the day Steve Wojciechowski was hired, sophomore forward Steve Taylor Jr. and freshman guard Jajaun Johnson said they weren't sure if they would return to Marquette.

But Wojciechowski said Tuesday night before the team's annual banquet that all nine underclassmen were coming back.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
It would be nice if people on this board would stop posting that Duane Wilson is transferring out of the program, especially when basing their posts on sketchy information. I would go so far as to say he's the least likely of anyone currently on the team to leave.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
I personally spoke to Duane @ the banquet and he is RETURNING and looking forward to playing WOJO ball. He said the whole team is excited in the changes they have been told and have seen already...  ;)

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »
It would be nice if people on this board would stop posting that Duane Wilson is transferring out of the program, especially when basing their posts on sketchy information. I would go so far as to say he's the least likely of anyone currently on the team to leave.

Hey I get it - the official word is that they have told the coach they are staying - but its not like ipso facto that precludes other possibilities - I agree that what I heard was a rumor, and my intentions were only to see if others had heard something similar - doesn't sound like it - which is great -

and as long as people aren't conveying their rumors as fact, which I clearly wasn't, not doing any harm - not trying to be malicious, but this is partly a "rumor" board, right?

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 09:41:33 AM »
I personally spoke to Duane @ the banquet and he is RETURNING and looking forward to playing WOJO ball. He said the whole team is excited in the changes they have been told and have seen already...  ;)

Now there you go!!!  Big year next year!!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »
Ahmed Hill
Sandy Cohen
Satchel Pierce
Malek Harris - verbal
Marial Shayok

------------------------------------

Sandy Cohen
Maybe/Hopefully - Satchel Pierce

Coming off a 17-15 season & losing Gardner, Jamil, Thomas, Otule. This makes me nervous. I was hoping for solid minutes out of some of those frosh.

Any in-state guys that are still uncommitted or flip worthy?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
Would the exact opposite be along the lines of "schools with clout are not interested" so they should stay put and be happy where they are?

I don't know if they've been tampered with by other schools. All I know is that everyone is returning. The mood around the team is a lot more relaxed and positive since the coaching change.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
I remain 100% confident that all 9 of our existing players are returning.  Tuesday night, they were all relaxed and having fun together.  I think there is relief among the troops that all their brothers have agreed to stay.

Of course losing Hill is a big deal.  But the young man left via a classy exit.  We'll be just fine.  It'll be interesting to see how Wojo reacts.  Perhaps a Juco is a good idea.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
I am also dissappointed about Hill, but the fact is JJJ was a much higher rated recruit than Hill. Of course ratings do not necessarily indicate how a player is going to perform his first year, but I think JJJ will blossom under Wojo.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
I remain 100% confident that all 9 of our existing players are returning.  Tuesday night, they were all relaxed and having fun together.  I think there is relief among the troops that all their brothers have agreed to stay.

Of course losing Hill is a big deal.  But the young man left via a classy exit.  We'll be just fine.  It'll be interesting to see how Wojo reacts.  Perhaps a Juco is a good idea.

I'm wondering when someone that Wojo had a "relationship" with is going to change his mind and follow him to MU?  May not happen since committing to Duke is different than committing to MU regardless of who is the lead recruiter.  Still, we've seen 2 guys decide to pursue other options due to their relationship with Buzz or the coaching staff.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
I'm wondering when someone that Wojo had a "relationship" with is going to change his mind and follow him to MU?  May not happen since committing to Duke is different than committing to MU regardless of who is the lead recruiter.  Still, we've seen 2 guys decide to pursue other options due to their relationship with Buzz or the coaching staff.

Does anyone know if there are unsigned recruits that Wojo had been actively recruiting prior to coming to Marquette?  Duke consistently gets to cherry pick the prospects they want and I'd have to imagine that leaves a number of "bubble recruits" holding out hope for a Duke scholarship.  Perhaps there are a few players still out there who were never on our radar that were passed up by Duke and may give Wojo some consideration in Milwaukee...

Any unsigned players out there with Wojo [and/or his staff] relationships that we're not aware of??

cnse70

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »
Does anyone know if there are unsigned recruits that Wojo had been actively recruiting prior to coming to Marquette?  Duke consistently gets to cherry pick the prospects they want and I'd have to imagine that leaves a number of "bubble recruits" holding out hope for a Duke scholarship.  Perhaps there are a few players still out there who were never on our radar that were passed up by Duke and may give Wojo some consideration in Milwaukee...

Any unsigned players out there with Wojo [and/or his staff] relationships that we're not aware of??

Good questions.  Are there any names out there?  We know who we are loosing, what about names we are recruiting?  Been pretty quiet.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 01:49:18 PM »
Good questions.  Are there any names out there?  We know who we are loosing, what about names we are recruiting?  Been pretty quiet.

I know at one time we were interested in D'Angelo Allen from Kimball, TX. Haven't his name mentioned lately but it appears he hasn't committed or signed with anyone yet. Wonder if Wojo has reached  out to him?

http://247sports.com/Player/DAngelo-Allen-24028
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »
Good questions.  Are there any names out there?  We know who we are loosing, what about names we are recruiting?  Been pretty quiet.

Here you go:

http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2014

feedback