[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Uconn to rejoin the BE?  (Read 14846 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Uconn to rejoin the BE?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
Do I want the school that has won 2 of the last 4 championships in our conference? 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »
UConn would be SO much more profitable if they didn't have football. They may come to their senses eventually but until then, no deal

I would bet their football program brings in more dollars than basketball.  To give perspective on how valuable football is......  the Kentucky football program brings 3x more revenue than the basketball program.  

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
I would bet their football program brings in more dollars than basketball.  To give perspective on how valuable football is......  the Kentucky football program brings 3x more revenue than the basketball program.  

That is extremely depressing, if true. 

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
That is extremely depressing, if true. 

I lied, it's closer to 2x as much.  Here's an article from 2011.  It shows the Marquette revenues.  Apparently, Kentucky basketball is hurt by the fact that Adolph Rupp Arena doesn't have any luxury boxes.  Louisville and MU basketball are more profitable than Kentucky

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/20/which-football-and-basketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 04:05:38 PM »
Do I want the school that has won 2 of the last 4 championships in our conference? 

Depends if you want the baggage that goes with it.  Some will, some won't.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
I lied, it's closer to 2x as much.  Here's an article from 2011.  It shows the Marquette revenues.  Apparently, Kentucky basketball is hurt by the fact that Adolph Rupp Arena doesn't have any luxury boxes.  Louisville and MU basketball are more profitable than Kentucky

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06/20/which-football-and-basketball-programs-produce-the-largest-profits/

Rupp is a pit... it's basically a '70's-era high school gym with 23,000 seats in it.  Talk about a place that needs a new arena....
Have some patience, FFS.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
Don't mess withe Big East brand:

Private. Great basketball tradition. Strong academics. No football.

This. Not to be elitist but the profile fits the schools and any prospective school needs to fit the profile.

The growing pains have been hard to swallow, but in the long run, it's the league's only key to success.

At best, we'll be close to the old BE. At worst, we're the WCC.
SS Marquette

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »

Agree with all of that except for the private part, which i don't think matters as much as we all think.  I would prefer private, but I would also be great with UConn if they dropped football. Hell, I would be ok with VCU.  I just don't want to be tied to schools that are tied to football.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:07 PM »

Private. Great Solid basketball tradition. Strong Decent academics. No football.

A little more accurate now.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
I would prefer private, but I would also be great with UConn if they dropped football.

This will never happen.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »
UCONN has invested way too much money already into football. They are gonna ride it out for atleast 5-6 years hoping that their football becomes respectable while they are still getting old Big East money. If their football still sucks and their old Big East money runs out and they still haven't gotten a BCS offer in those 5-6 years, then that is when they will consider jumping to the Big East IMO.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
UConn just played in the Fiesta Bowl not to long ago.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
UConn just played in the Fiesta Bowl not to long ago.

Correct, because the Big East was an AQ conference at the time so the Big East champion was going to play in a quality BCS bowl game.  They were 8-4 that year prior to being blown out in the Fiesta Bowl with losses to Temple, Michigan, Rutgers and Louisville.

EnderWiggen

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
This will never happen.

oh yea, this was all completely hypothetical.  I think they *might* eventually drop it, but it won't happen anytime soon.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
I have heard that even the crappy conferences like CUSA and MAC, etc. still turn a profit on football, regardless of how terrible they are compared to the likes of the SEC.  Is this true?  Does a school like, say, Akron make a profit from football?  If so, is it a big profit?

UNC-Charlotte just built a brand new stadium from scratch.  I find it hard to believe that they will ever recoup that cost.  But admittedly I am ignorant and hence my question

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »

UCONN football loses money.  On paper they make it look exactly even, so $0 profit.  That means (because of how most public Universities work) that they syphon money from other accounts to balance the funds. 

Most Universities lose a lot of money on football.  The reported profits by most are modified through creative accounting.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
If they get that, it is one domino for sure.  That being said, the AAU and Uconn rumors have been going around now for at least 5 years if not much longer.  It's an invitation only club.  Maybe it happens.  I know they have been trying and it has been put out there as a public goal of theirs.  It should be and kudos to them for making the effort.  I'm just of the mindset I'll ultimately believe it when it happens.  Here's an example going back to 2010.  http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2010/05/uconn-and-the-aau.html

On the athletics side, I still don't see where they add any value on the $$ side.  They bring very little to the Northeast in football ratings, basketball ratings don't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things, not compare to football anyway.  Yes, they have men's and women's hoops, solid soccer, but the only market they add is Hartford (NY DMA already covered with Rutgers). 

The one big thing they do have going for them is no grant of rights with the AAC, which makes their movement much easier.

In the New York market no one cares about Rutgers.  U Conn is a much bigger name in the TV market. That name recognition in the NY Market  is what they would bring to the Big Ten. If this happened they would also likely schedule a handful of their football games in Yankee Stadium. Also the configuration of the campus is very much like a Big Ten School. All that said I still think they would only get in the Big if the Big was able to get Kansas first. Sort of the same way Rutgers got in off of Maryland jumping from the ACC.  My sense is that the U Conn administration will wait it out to see if a Big Ten or ACC invite happens before going to the Big East. A Big East move would likely be paired with them taking football down a notch, which would probably offset the financial gain of a better TV contract.

Also I think the Big East needs to let its double round robin format keep playing out. I believe this is going to be what make our conference one of the most exciting year in and year out. It really allows the fans to recognize the opponents players coaches etc.  

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
Correct, because the Big East was an AQ conference at the time so the Big East champion was going to play in a quality BCS bowl game.  They were 8-4 that year prior to being blown out in the Fiesta Bowl with losses to Temple, Michigan, Rutgers and Louisville.

I've said it before.  If their coach wasn't already out the door before the game maybe he would have been a little more focused on the game.  As soon as the game ended he was on a plane to Maryland for the head coach position.  No one had any idea he was leaving.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
In the New York market no one cares about Rutgers.  U Conn is a much bigger name in the TV market. That name recognition in the NY Market  is what they would bring to the Big Ten. If this happened they would also likely schedule a handful of their football games in Yankee Stadium. Also the configuration of the campus is very much like a Big Ten School. All that said I still think they would only get in the Big if the Big was able to get Kansas first. Sort of the same way Rutgers got in off of Maryland jumping from the ACC.  My sense is that the U Conn administration will wait it out to see if a Big Ten or ACC invite happens before going to the Big East. A Big East move would likely be paired with them taking football down a notch, which would probably offset the financial gain of a better TV contract.

Also I think the Big East needs to let its double round robin format keep playing out. I believe this is going to be what make our conference one of the most exciting year in and year out. It really allows the fans to recognize the opponents players coaches etc.  

Not for football, and that's what drives ratings.  Quite frankly, neither does that well, but Rutgers does better.

At the end of the day, the Big Ten television contract payment doesn't particularly care.  The ratings matter for advertising, but not for carriage fees per se that the MSO's have to pay.  Rutgers delivers NY for the Big Ten in that capacity, so adding UConn doesn't do anything for carriage fees other than adding the state of CT.  That's nice, but its a drop in the bucket quite frankly. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
I've said it before.  If their coach wasn't already out the door before the game maybe he would have been a little more focused on the game.  As soon as the game ended he was on a plane to Maryland for the head coach position.  No one had any idea he was leaving.

Maybe, but they were 8-4 going into the game, played in the fairly soft Big East....not convinced they would have done much against Oklahoma that year regardless of where the coaching staff focus was at. 

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »
Ya, what's your point? The Big East has been a AQ conference in the BCS era.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 09:32:59 PM »
Ya, what's your point? The Big East has been a AQ conference in the BCS era.

My point was they were the tallest midget in the circus and got to go to the Fiesta Bowl due to the AQ status.  UCONN may have been the softest team to go to the Fiesta Bowl since it became a big time bowl.  One could make an argument it was the softest team since the 1970's.  Someone had to go from the Big East.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
UCONN football loses money.  On paper they make it look exactly even, so $0 profit.  That means (because of how most public Universities work) that they syphon money from other accounts to balance the funds. 

Most Universities lose a lot of money on football.  The reported profits by most are modified through creative accounting.
Cooking the books with transfer pricing straight out of the cost accounting books.  Of course, that does not reflect contributions to a school due to the sport.  Whatever floats one's boat.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »

Those numbers aren't quite accurate. As someone else pointed out, schools siphon money from other accounts to make their numbers look better. More importantly, there are several hidden costs of football. For example, because they spend so much money on football, they need to spend equal money on women's sports. So if you pay 50 million on football (which is barely profitable, if at all) that's another 50 million you have to spend on women's sports (all of which lose money, besides basketball). Cut football and you can 100 million of costs.

The numbers in this example are made up. I have no idea what uconns football costs are
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
I have heard that even the crappy conferences like CUSA and MAC, etc. still turn a profit on football, regardless of how terrible they are compared to the likes of the SEC.  Is this true?  Does a school like, say, Akron make a profit from football?   If so, is it a big profit?

UNC-Charlotte just built a brand new stadium from scratch.  I find it hard to believe that they will ever recoup that cost.  But admittedly I am ignorant and hence my question
It would not be hard to envision Akron making a profit at football. I sure they spend a lot less on recruiting than UW does and they probably pay their coaches a lot less too. UW football brings in way more dollars, but they also spend way more money.