[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Uconn to rejoin the BE?  (Read 14878 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Uconn to rejoin the BE?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »
In the New York market no one cares about Rutgers.  U Conn is a much bigger name in the TV market. That name recognition in the NY Market  is what they would bring to the Big Ten. If this happened they would also likely schedule a handful of their football games in Yankee Stadium. Also the configuration of the campus is very much like a Big Ten School. All that said I still think they would only get in the Big if the Big was able to get Kansas first. Sort of the same way Rutgers got in off of Maryland jumping from the ACC.  My sense is that the U Conn administration will wait it out to see if a Big Ten or ACC invite happens before going to the Big East. A Big East move would likely be paired with them taking football down a notch, which would probably offset the financial gain of a better TV contract.

Also I think the Big East needs to let its double round robin format keep playing out. I believe this is going to be what make our conference one of the most exciting year in and year out. It really allows the fans to recognize the opponents players coaches etc.  

The B1G is not like other Conferences. They don't care about brand recognition. They want new markets. And because of the B1G network, it doesn't matter if uconns is more popular, Rutgers has the bigger tv market. Also, gotta have that way status....or be as good as Nebraska in football
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
Cooking the books with transfer pricing straight out of the cost accounting books.  Of course, that does not reflect contributions to a school due to the sport.  Whatever floats one's boat.

Nukem, that is the million dollar question and one that admittedly I often neglect.  I know several small schools that gave up football (or basketball), because they were losing money on them.

They later brought them back, because they saw a marked decline in applications (enrollment…tuition) and a decline in donations. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »
On the same subject, I forgot to post, I heard a radio discussion 2 weeks that the Prudential Center in Newark was trying to lure The Big10 Conference tournament.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
Cooking the books with transfer pricing straight out of the cost accounting books.  Of course, that does not reflect contributions to a school due to the sport.  Whatever floats one's boat.

Exactly.  I have several MU acquaintances who believe the amount Marquette spends on basketball is "shameful" and that the university should spend that money on things like need-based scholarships and increased public safety instead. They drive me insane because they just don't get it.  It's not a zero-sum game.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
Exactly.  I have several MU acquaintances who believe the amount Marquette spends on basketball is "shameful" and that the university should spend that money on things like need-based scholarships and increased public safety instead. They drive me insane because they just don't get it.  It's not a zero-sum game.

Spot on. 
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Interesting read today from the Hartford Business Journal.  Nothing new as it's already known that football steers the boat.  UConn looking to earn more from FB.  Even mentions the "what if" of UConn dropping football.  The article online has a $ comparison chart with UConn to other universities on FB, BB & WBB.

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20140428/PRINTEDITION/304249936

Despite basketball glory, UConn must look to football to boost athletics business
Brad Kane

Winning two college basketball national championships in two days drove revenue, visibility, and economic development for UConn and Connecticut, but for the university to reach the financial success of big-time athletics programs it will have to focus on football, experts say.

To drive more revenue, UConn Athletic Director Warde Manuel wants to add another 10,000 seats to Rentschler Field — home of the university's football team — sometime in the next 10 years, generating an additional $2 million in ticket revenue.

Such a major infrastructure investment to expand the facility's seating by 25 percent would have to be driven by ticket demand, which only will come if the team is performing at a top level, Manuel said.

Last season UConn football, which posted a 3-9 record, drew an average of 22,024 fans, down 5 percent from a year earlier, according to data from the Capital Region Development Authority. That number represents patrons who actually showed up at the turnstile. UConn put last year's average football attendance at 34,676.

Regardless, the poor performance on the field led to the firing of head coach Paul Pasqualoni.

"Football takes time, and it depends how the new staff is doing with the system that is in place," Manuel said. "My hope in the next 10 years is that we have reached the point where we are consistently competing for championships, which will drive more demand and higher ticket prices."

Because football weighs so heavily on the college sports landscape, UConn will either need to leave the American Athletic Conference (AAC) or decide to become a basketball-specialty school, said Fred Carstensen, director of the Connecticut Center for Economic Analysis. That decision will become particularly important as college football moves toward a new playoff system and major conferences, like the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and Big Ten, push for their own super division so they can play by their own rules.

"You want to be in the big four [or five] leagues because they are going to dominate the new football playoff and get the television revenue," Carstensen said. "If any of the AAC schools are going to be successful in football, they are going to jump to one of the big four conferences."

Football money

UConn football generated $11.1 million in revenue in fiscal 2012-2013, more than the men's and women's basketball teams combined, according to the U.S. Office of Postsecondary Education, which tracks athletic program spending.

Football also had higher expenses than basketball, but an examination of regional and national big-time college athletics programs shows their revenues and margins are driven by football. Syracuse, for example, earned $33.2 million in football revenue in fiscal '12-13; Boston College raked in $22.9 million; Duke earned $24.1 million; and Texas made $109.4 million.

"We have had a successful formula, even in football," said Manuel, who was an associate athletic director at Michigan and an athletic director at Buffalo before joining UConn. "We are three years removed from playing in a [Bowl Championship Series] game."

Even though UConn football did not make a bowl game last season, Manuel said the program is on the upswing with new head coach Bob Diaco, a former defensive coordinator from traditional football powerhouse Notre Dame.

The heart of generating additional revenue is growing Rentschler Field in East Hartford to a 50,000-seat stadium, something the current design can accommodate with limited rehabilitation, Manuel said.

Global Spectrum, which manages Rentschler Field and the XL Center in Hartford, is more than willing to look at a stadium expansion once ticket demand calls for it, said Chris Lawrence, Global's general manager.

Global has never had anything other than passing discussions about expanding the facility and doesn't have a cost estimate for the project, Lawrence said. That would all come after UConn consistently starts drawing more fans to its six-to-eight home games each year.

"Obviously, they are an up-and-coming program with Coach Diaco coming in," Lawrence said.

XL Center upgrades

Meanwhile, with both UConn basketball programs reaching the peak of the NCAA, Manuel said he wants to maximize the revenue each team generates. UConn will continue to split its basketball home games between Gampel Pavilion in Storrs and the XL Center in downtown Hartford, but the university wants to see more improvements at the Hartford venue, he said.

The XL Center is undergoing $35 million in state-funded renovations to update its mechanical systems, improve concession systems, modernize concourses, add high-definition scoreboards, and create special loge boxes in the lower seating area to give customers a slightly more private experience, Lawrence said.

Global is doing a good job with the current renovations, Manuel said, but UConn would like to see club-level seating and suites in the lower bowl of the arena.

"Those are things that really help to increase revenue," Manuel said.

Despite UConn's desire for suites, the loge boxes are going to have to be the solution for now, Lawrence said, because the arena doesn't have the capability for suites without some major renovations.

The UConn men's hockey team, which is joining the high profile Hockey East Association in 2014-15, also plans to play games at XL Center.

Even without suites, the two national championships from the men's and women's basketball teams will help the athletic department get more donations for scholarships and teams, and keep up a winning tradition at the school, Manuel said.

National championships don't necessarily drive attendance spikes, but UConn will see better recruiting for all its sports because athletes are attracted to scools with a history of winning, Manuel said.

"The feeling that I have after winning both basketball [championships] is that we are in position that other schools are saying, 'We should be more like UConn,'" Manuel said. "If it helps the governor attract a business to the state, that makes me even prouder."

The publicity and brand awareness built by the basketball teams' tournament runs has a multi-million dollar impact on the visibility of the region and the state, said Peter DeMallie, immediate past chairman of the Connecticut Central Regional Tourism District.

"Husky Nation is a tremendous positive method to get out the message of excellence and success," DeMallie said. "The overall pride in the region and the state is enhanced among the community and the alumni."

Because of the way college basketball championships are awarded, a team that is even marginally successful in the regular season will be accepted into the postseason tournament to play for the national championship, Carstensen said.

Because men's basketball coach Kevin Ollie can tell recruits they can compete for a title every year at UConn, that should ensure the program is excellent for the foreseeable future, Carstensen said. The women's team has been the model of excellence in its sport for the past 15 years.

"Basketball, as you know though, has declined significantly as the driver in college sports. It's football," Carstensen said. "It is hard to see how much they are going to get in terms of television revenue."

Back when UConn was in the Big East, it received about $3 million annually in television contracts (from football and basketball), which was 85 percent lower than the members of other major conferences like the ACC and the Big Ten, according to the NCAA.

After the Big East broke up and UConn formed the American Athletic Conference with nine other schools, television revenue has fallen to about $2 million per year.

Even though AAC schools have won the last two NCAA men's basketball championships (UConn and Louisville, which is leaving the conference next year), it's hard to imagine TV revenues increasing significantly because of the lack of football powerhouses in the conference, Carstensen said. The next round of television contracts will be dominated by the teams that consistently compete for entry to the four-team football playoff starting next season.

"The American Athletic Conference is cobbled together, and I wouldn't expect the AAC to be particularly stable, because of the upcoming football playoffs," Carstensen said.

Even though a switch to a power conference might be more lucrative, Manuel said UConn isn't going to worry about things beyond its control and will work to add value to the AAC.

"I am always going to put UConn in the best position possible," Manuel said.

Even if UConn wanted to switch conferences, two of the likely destinations — the ACC and the Big Ten — might not be achievable, Carstensen said. UConn sued Boston College when BC left the Big East for the ACC, and now BC could block any attempt by UConn to join the ACC, Carstensen said.

When the Big Ten expanded to include Rutgers and Maryland in 2012, it chose those schools because it gave the conference access to two large media markets: New York and Washington D.C.

Also, Maryland, Rutgers and the rest of the Big Ten schools are members of the exclusive Association of American Universities, a 60-school nonprofit comprised of the best research institutions. UConn is not a member of that association and would have to see significant dividends from its latest research investments to be considered a top public research university, Carstensen said.

"The challenge that UConn has in joining one of these conferences is you have hostility in one direction and a problem with status in another direction," Carstensen said.

UConn could go another way: de-emphasize its football program, try to be a basketball-specific school, and grow its revenue by helping make the AAC a preeminent basketball conference like the Big East used to be, Carstensen said.

"In the long run, this is a really profound challenge for the university," Carstensen said.

UConn, though, plans on pursuing consistent excellence in football, Manuel said. The AAC might not seem like a power player in football now, but the success of the school's basketball teams shows that the young conference is headed in the right direction.

"It is immensely helpful because it builds success throughout the department," Manuel said. n

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:14 PM »
They learned nothing from the BEast. They will continue to chase football money instead of focusing on their strengths.

Its kind of sad to me that UConn gets 1 million less in TV revenue for both basketball and football than Depaul does for basketball alone.
TAMU

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2014, 02:34:55 PM »
One could argue that those extra dollars spent on MU basketball generate more money for the institution as a whole to spend on things like needs-based scholarships and other academic-centered initiatives. Without poring over financial records, it's impossible to ascertain the exact impact MU basketball has on MU's bottom line, but safe to say, without baskebtall, MU doesn't have nearly as much money as it does now to put back into the institution and its students. I'm sure one could argue diminishing returns with regard to spending on the basketball program, but nobody really knows for sure...well, maybe a few.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
One could argue that those extra dollars spent on MU basketball generate more money for the institution as a whole to spend on things like needs-based scholarships and other academic-centered initiatives. Without poring over financial records, it's impossible to ascertain the exact impact MU basketball has on MU's bottom line, but safe to say, without baskebtall, MU doesn't have nearly as much money as it does now to put back into the institution and its students. I'm sure one could argue diminishing returns with regard to spending on the basketball program, but nobody really knows for sure...well, maybe a few.

That was my point. Are you agreeing with me? 
Have some patience, FFS.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »
That was my point. Are you agreeing with me? 
Yep, I didn't spend enough time reading the post that you responded to.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »

Its kind of sad to me that UConn gets 1 million less in TV revenue for both basketball and football than Depaul does for basketball alone.
Reason is the start up of Fox Sports One.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
I honestly don't see UCONN ever dropping or moving football to get back to the Big East (even though I feel it is a perfect fit).

However, I honestly do not see either the Big Ten or ACC offering an invite within the next 10 years either.  Boston College's animosity towards UCONN has been well documented, so they for sure would be against an invite (not to mention FSU and Clemson being against any weak football addition).  UCONN also is not an AAU member, which will prevent them from getting an invite from the Big Ten (and before it gets brought up, yes, Nebraska is no longer an AAU member - but they WERE when they were invited). 

If they want to continue to hold out hope for an invite, best of luck to them.  However, in college sports, you are judged by the strength of your conference, and if UCONN is adamant about staying with Tulane, Tulsa, East Carolina, etc., then they will drift further and further away from the island of P5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2014, 03:49:33 PM »
One of the reasons I think conference movement has died down is because the conferences have all tied themselves up into long term media rights contracts...one one huge exception.

The Big Ten's deal ends with ABC/ESPN after the 2015-16 year.  And boy have they set themselves up to be paid.  With no other major college rights deal expiring until well into the next decade, and with networks like Fox and NBC desperate to fill up their sports programming, there have been estimates that they will exceed $30M per year per school...perhaps go up as high as $40M.

BTW, I would love for Fox to win those rights.  I think it would help bring eyeballs to FS1 and FS2 during college basketball season.  And don't sell them short - they already have a relationship with the B10 in the BTN and the championship game.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
One of the reasons I think conference movement has died down is because the conferences have all tied themselves up into long term media rights contracts...one one huge exception.

The Big Ten's deal ends with ABC/ESPN after the 2015-16 year.  And boy have they set themselves up to be paid.  With no other major college rights deal expiring until well into the next decade, and with networks like Fox and NBC desperate to fill up their sports programming, there have been estimates that they will exceed $30M per year per school...perhaps go up as high as $40M.

BTW, I would love for Fox to win those rights.  I think it would help bring eyeballs to FS1 and FS2 during college basketball season.  And don't sell them short - they already have a relationship with the B10 in the BTN and the championship game.

That would be fascinating wouldnt it? That would be a massive get for FS1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »

Fox already owns 51% of Big Ten Network.  There is a strong relationship with Fox and Big Ten already.  That being said, Big Ten Disney relationship is also incredibly strong and has been going on for many decades.  At the end of the day, Big Ten (as you correctly point out) is going to get paid and paid large.  Having Fox around only drives the cost up, whether they get it or not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2014, 08:24:57 AM »
Fox already owns 51% of Big Ten Network.  There is a strong relationship with Fox and Big Ten already.  That being said, Big Ten Disney relationship is also incredibly strong and has been going on for many decades.  At the end of the day, Big Ten (as you correctly point out) is going to get paid and paid large.  Having Fox around only drives the cost up, whether they get it or not.

I agree.  I just think it would be helpful for the BE's television partner to get the B10.  And adds more legitimacy to Fox Sports as a network.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »

Very similar situation to when the Fox network first bid on the NFL. No one really thought they were a player until they outbid mighty CBS.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
They learned nothing from the BEast. They will continue to chase football money instead of focusing on their strengths.

UConn isn't "focusing on their strengths?"

Bwahahaha

Let's see....who won the women's basketball title this year?

Who won the men's title this year?

Who is building a practice facility for its basketball teams right now?

Oh, I know....this is where you cite the DoE numbers. Gee...if they spent more money then, of course, they would have more titles in M and W basketball than any other school in the country since 99. Oh wait....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
UConn isn't "focusing on their strengths?"

Bwahahaha

Let's see....who won the women's basketball title this year?

Who won the men's title this year?

Who is building a practice facility for its basketball teams right now?

Oh, I know....this is where you cite the DoE numbers. Gee...if they spent more money then, of course, they would have more titles in M and W basketball than any other school in the country since 99. Oh wait....

Sigh. You again. Never said they would have more titles. Said they would make more money. Also, haven't been talking about what they have done in the past, I'm talking about what they will be doing in the future. If you think being associated with the AAC won't hurt them in the long run, I don't know what to tell you. And finally, yes, more money does equal stronger program. It's not the only factor but it is a factor.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2014, 01:57:16 PM »
Very similar situation to when the Fox network first bid on the NFL. No one really thought they were a player until they outbid mighty CBS.

Disney Chair & CEO Bob Iger appeared on Fox Business' "Opening Bell With Maria Bartiromo" and discussed the rising cost of sports rights. Iger: "On one hand, I'm concerned about the escalating costs of sports rights, (but) on the other hand, it makes it harder for new entrants to come into the market." He said ESPN has "faced more competition to buy sports rights,” and said escalating rights fees have “actually probably lowered the growth rate of ESPN.” Iger: “But it also makes it very, very hard for new entrants in the marketplace, of which there are a few. For them to even come close to buying the profile of events that ESPN has they'd have to invest billions of dollars and lose probably hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars in the process." Iger was asked about the rising sub costs for ESPN: "We actually believe that as ESPN has invested more in the quality of its product and also adding new experiences like mobility to the equation, that the price-to-value relationship for ESPN, both to the distributor and to the consumers, is still very, very high. We don't take it lightly. I know there's been a lot of noise in the marketplace. A lot of that has come as a result of the regional sports networks buying sports rights for extremely high costs and trying to pass those costs onto the consumer. That is a concern to us."

NEW DEALS: Bartiromo noted the company’s new affiliate deals and asked what was "left in terms of putting that piece of business to bed." Iger: "We have a few more to go, the biggest one being with DirecTV, which we're just starting to engage with on that. We've had no problems extending our deals (because we have) good relationships, the most recent one being with the Dish Network, for instance. It was a comprehensive deal, it was very complicated and it took a long time, but it was without the public stress or strife that some companies have experienced in negotiating long-term deals and we’re confident we'll be able to come to an arrangement with DirecTV and that will get us pretty far in terms of the total distribution profile … for ESPN" ("Opening Bell With Maria Bartiromo," Fox Business, 4/30).

feedback