[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ahmed Hill released from LOI  (Read 14408 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Ahmed Hill released from LOI
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »
I personally am now rooting for Hill to fall flat on his face. I hope he has a terrible career and wonders what if he would just would have honored his commitment to Marquette. I don't wish him good luck or any of that other bs...This is petty and juvenile of me, but that's how I feel. Now once his college basketball career is over, then I wish him good luck  ;D

I wish him no ill will.

I don't wish him any special degree of success.

I simply don't care about his basketball career one iota, as I am a Warrior and he isn't.

Next!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
I personally am now rooting for Hill to fall flat on his face. I hope he has a terrible career and wonders what if he would just would have honored his commitment to Marquette. I don't wish him good luck or any of that other bs...This is petty and juvenile of me, but that's how I feel. Now once his college basketball career is over, then I wish him good luck  ;D

I think we found who BRisabully is on Twatter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
Going back to the tweet, I notice that it is dated April 10th @ 11:00 am, but it seems that it didn't go out until April 16th around 8 pm.  One way to interpret this, I guess, is that Wojo got Ahmed to think twice.

On second thought.... I'm thinking that Hill asked for and got his release, so that he could legitimately talk to other schools, but both parties decided to hold off on announcing until Hill definitely excluded Marquette fro his choices.  That way, if Hill stuck with MU, there would be no need to get MU fans upset with him (and bothering him on twitter).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:58:18 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
Wow, a little over the top. You made my exact point about hand wringing and getting panties in a bunch over a recruit.

Where in my post did I say Wojo called him and said he wasn’t good enough? Keep building those straw men, you are good at it.

Sometimes people don’t mesh, it’s not the right fit for either party for whatever reason.  Maybe the kid or Wojo got the wrong vibe, who the hell knows. I wasn’t there and I am not in either persons mind or neither are you.  Obviously something didn’t fit for one of them, and my point is that’s ok. Not the end of the world. Sure he is a good player, would love to have him, but the program isn’t going under over losing a recruit who has never played a second of college basketball.

Now as far as embarrassing….I read some of your prior posts, I am not sure you have the right to call anyone out on that account.

Where did I write the program is going under? To say Wojo didn't like what he heard is a asinine take. He was recrutimg HIM, not the other way around.

You said, "Maybe Wojo wasn't completely sold on Hill". How else does one interpret that statement? I'm curious.  

Go through my past posts. I said things during the season and previous that others are saying now. I also ripped the transfer rate, Newbill situation, and the constant self promoting about his background. All the things people now are ripping him for, now that he's gone.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2014, 11:57:04 AM »

Think most expected this level of pettiness from you.

Going to be tough for you to visit your family down in Augusta and hear all about Ahmed's successful exploits in Blacksburg next season. I'm sure you'll let everyone down there know you're actively hoping one of their native sons fails miserably with his dreams.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
Think most expected this level of pettiness from you.

Going to be tough for you to visit your family down in Augusta and hear all about Ahmed's successful exploits in Blacksburg next season. I'm sure you'll let everyone down there know you're actively hoping one of their native sons fails miserably with his dreams.

You seem to have taken an unhealthy interest about where I'm from and where I have family. Didn't attack the kid at all, just don't want to wish someone well who left my beloved team in a bind. Hopefully he is happy, just don't want him to succeed on the basketball court. I want everyone to succeed at life though. P.S. Do you want me to send you some family photos so you can know more about me  :o

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 12:15:13 PM »
The reality is none of us knows this kid so we have no basis to love or hate. He'll make his own way and I have no interest in any of it. Leave it at that.

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »
You seem to have taken an unhealthy interest about where I'm from and where I have family. Didn't attack the kid at all, just don't want to wish someone well who left my beloved team in a bind. Hopefully he is happy, just don't want him to succeed on the basketball court. I want everyone to succeed at life though. P.S. Do you want me to send you some family photos so you can know more about me  :o

Do you not remember that you posted you live in Wisconsin (presumably Seymour, since you've watched Cohen multiple times) and have family in Augusta, Ga. (since you've watched Hill multiple times)?

And, yes, rooting for Hill to "fall flat on his face" and to have a "terrible career" is attacking the kid. Clearly you have an active interest in watching him fail.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 01:08:03 PM »
Where did I write the program is going under? To say Wojo didn't like what he heard is a asinine take. He was recrutimg HIM, not the other way around.

You said, "Maybe Wojo wasn't completely sold on Hill". How else does one interpret that statement? I'm curious.  

Go through my past posts. I said things during the season and previous that others are saying now. I also ripped the transfer rate, Newbill situation, and the constant self promoting about his background. All the things people now are ripping him for, now that he's gone.

So you are 100% sure that Wojo  was “sold” on  Hill?  That’s, why I started with the word “maybe”.  You do not know, I do not know.  Maybe, there was something about the kid that Wojo didn’t like or vice versa. Maybe, Wojo didn’t like his haircut, personality, who the hell knows.  Maybe, Hill picked up on that.  Probably, Wojo wanted Hill very much, but Hill just wasn’t comfortable with Wojo. It’s speculation. That’s what we do here. Most of the dialogue on MU Scoop is speculation or opinion, that’s what these boards are for.

And no it is not “asinine” or “embarrassing” . Had I said Hill was a 2 star recruit that we shouldn’t pursue, then you could make that statement. That’s not what I am saying. You are interpreting way too much out of one comment. It wasn’t the point of my post. The point is, losing a recruit isn’t that big of a deal.  It happens all the time. It wasn’t a fit for whatever reason, that’s ok. Next.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »
Classy message from hill.

Could the difference between the date of the message and the posting of the message he because he was waiting for Chew to be named assistant at VT?  I have no idea. He mentions chew in his "Dear John" letter.

Also, I think that there is some merit to the fact that Wojo might want to recruit different kids. Different by way of position. There is a logjam of talented players at the guard spots going forward. D Wilson jr., john Dawson, JJJ (many of us are really glad he didn't transfer), not to mention two senior guards in Wilson and mayo. Someone once said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Maybe a sixth guard isn't as big a priority as a 4/5.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
I never got the impression that Wojo was prepared to move heaven and earth to keep Hill in the fold. From what we know, Wojo never flew to Georgia...and it sounds like he didn't spend a lot of time on the phone with Hill either.

At the end of the day, MU will survive quite nicely. Hill is talented, but he's still just a top 60-ish recruit. Heck, JJJ was rated higher coming out of high school. 

If Hill wants to follow Brent to Blacksburg (I have no idea why)...whatever.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
Classy message from hill.

Could the difference between the date of the message and the posting of the message he because he was waiting for Chew to be named assistant at VT?  I have no idea. He mentions chew in his "Dear John" letter.

Also, I think that there is some merit to the fact that Wojo might want to recruit different kids. Different by way of position. There is a logjam of talented players at the guard spots going forward. D Wilson jr., john Dawson, JJJ (many of us are really glad he didn't transfer), not to mention two senior guards in Wilson and mayo. Someone once said the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores. Maybe a sixth guard isn't as big a priority as a 4/5.

There's a huge void in terms of big men.  We need 2 more 4/5 positions on this team.  Heck... even 3 more.  JaJuan Johsnon and Fischer do not have a legitimate 4/5 to back them up on this team.  JaJuan is more of a 3/4 as well.  

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
Well, I hope he wasn't planning to go to Missouri:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  1m
Tulsa is in final negotiations to hire Missouri's Frank Haith, barring a last-minute collapse in talks, a source told ESPN.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
Buzz to Mizzou!

Seriously though, something must be up.  Going from Mizzou to Tulsa is almost as bad as going from Marquette to Va.Tech.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:40 PM »
Well, I hope he wasn't planning to go to Missouri:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  1m
Tulsa is in final negotiations to hire Missouri's Frank Haith, barring a last-minute collapse in talks, a source told ESPN.

That only makes sense since his best assistant left him to go to MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
I never got the impression that Wojo was prepared to move heaven and earth to keep Hill in the fold. From what we know, Wojo never flew to Georgia...and it sounds like he didn't spend a lot of time on the phone with Hill either.

At the end of the day, MU will survive quite nicely. Hill is talented, but he's still just a top 60-ish recruit. Heck, JJJ was rated higher coming out of high school. 

If Hill wants to follow Brent to Blacksburg (I have no idea why)...whatever.

The bolded is concerning to me..and it is my understanding of the situation as well - as far as not flying to see him, and not getting on the phone with him extensively and early on in the process.  And, I highly doubt Wojo didn't covet Hill at MU.  We are not a school that can have luke warm interest in a Top 40-60 recruit.  Additionally, Hill having made an earlier statement that he'd probably stay at Marquette unless he heard something he didn't like when he talked with new coach.  Regardless, can't win them all, and not at all unusual for kids to break LOI's when a coach departs - as they are 80%+ committing to play for a specific coach....not school.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
24/7 is predicting that Hill ends up at VT.

Wow. You have to really love Brent to follow him to Blacksburg, Virginia.

I don't get it...but then it ain't my concern anymore.

amen426

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2014, 05:51:39 PM »
"Weird FYI, Southern Stampede players JaKeenan Gant (Mizzu), CJ Turman (Tenn) & Ahmed Hill (Marquette) all lose coaches they committed to."
- William Gunter (@WillGunter560)

If Buzz is the front-runner for Hill-- I wouldn't be shocked if he made a big run at Gant as well. Gant received 15 offers during his recruitment - one of which was from Buzz at Marquette. You can bet he's already made "indirect" contact with Gant. As well as the assistant coach at Mizzou who helped land him.

Would be very disappointed to see Buzz land either of these two players for his first year at VT.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:55:20 PM by amen426 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:03 PM »

Would be very disappointed to see Buzz land either of these two players for his first year at VT.

While I don't give a sh1t one way or the other about Hill I do hope that Bert struggles, becomes more desperate, begins cutting even more corners, and gets Pearled as a result.

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »
Thanks for pointing that that this was a loss for the Program.  I really appreciate how you were able to expand that observation to make your first veiled attack on Coach Wojo after only 16 days. (Unless, of course, I've missed an earlier attack)
It was a loss to the program, Einstein. No veiled attack there. You probably missed my other posts praising Wojo so far.

Reading is fundamental.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2014, 06:36:22 PM »
Looks like VT being in the ACC might cost Buzz Hill...... ;D

Wojo tried.......

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/17/states-top-two-basketball-prospects-could-be-free-agents-soon/

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »

Wojo tried.......

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014/04/17/states-top-two-basketball-prospects-could-be-free-agents-soon/

Wow this is a good read ... And it reads worse for Brent than Wojo.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »
Its all posturing,. He'll be on the roster at VT, had nothing to do with SW. The moment BW left he was gone, probably would have gone to Missouri but now they have no coach.   

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2014, 07:01:19 PM »

Wojo tried.......

Apparently, it looks like Hill wants to go to a program that wins.  I've got 20 on him going to Florida.  

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
We've got the scholarships.  Tell Hill we will take both him and his "best buddy" Gant - no problem!  Since they both might have to start developing new basketball relationships let them do it together with Wojo.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein