[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ahmed Hill released from LOI  (Read 14403 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Ahmed Hill released from LOI
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 08:05:15 AM »
This is a loss for the Program. he said he would go to MU, unless he heard something he did not like when talking to Wojo. Wonder what it was?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:52 AM »
It is reality.  When there is a coaching change players decommit.  Happens to every program.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 08:08:51 AM »
Best of luck Ahmed.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:06 AM »
This is a loss for the Program. he said he would go to MU, unless he heard something he did not like when talking to Wojo. Wonder what it was?

Doubt it was anything he said. Time to move on my friend. These decisions can be more emotion than logic for all of us so no point trying to guess the reason.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:10 AM »

Maybe Wojo wasn't completely sold on Hill and that came across to Hill.

I think there is way too much hand wringing about recruits. It is a loss to be sure, but there are other players. Who knows how any of these guys will turn out. Jamil Wilson was a top 10 recruit at one point. Davante Gardner was a 3 star (I think). Let Wojo bring in his own guys. The more important thing to me is keeping existing players on the team, and he has done that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
Agreed.   Losing the majority of a recruiting class is not unusual.    See Williams, Nick, and Taylor, Ty.   Buzz was able to use his JUCO contacts to land Butler.    It is my impression that Wojo wasn't planning on leaving Duke and as such, doesn't have a ready-made list of players who were going to follow him.   So he is going to have to start at zero.    His first challenge at MU.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:42 AM »
Does that mean we have an open scholarship for next season?  Does Wojo go the JUCO route?

Right now all 9 existing non-seniors are staying.

Chief Cohen has re-commited.

So 10 players for sure.

Hill, Shayok have asked for their release.  Pierce has said nothing.

So we have three open scholarships.

We need more than 10 players.  Can barely hold a scrimmage.  How do you scrimmage if someone is sick/hurt/has a test?

Banking scholarships would be a disastrous idea.  Wojo has to get bodies!!

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:13 AM »
My instinct is that Wojo probably turned him down at Duke. It is hard for a kid to separate the two situations. A loss for sure but we will soldier on. Nice that Hill was straightforward on it. Hopefully he does well .

slack00

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
Whatever team gets Hill is going to get a hell of a player.  Recruiting is about relationships and it's hard to argue with his logic.  Wish he were still going to MU but I wish him the best whatever he decides.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 08:33:21 AM »
Jabari Brown declared for the NBA yesterday, opening up minutes at Missouri.  I would be surprised if he goes anywhere else.

As others have stated, best of luck to Ahmed, wish him well.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »
Didn't have to say diddley, but expressed his situation in a classy manner. Pretty cool for a HS kid.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 08:51:30 AM »
Classy move by him, but this sucks for us.  I still try to keep this in perspective though.  If Buzz stays, we probably lose JJJ and Taylor but keep Hill.  As excited as I was for Hill, I don't think I would make that trade.  Now go out and get someone else!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »
classy move...i'll pull for the kid...just hope he doesn't end up at VT.

will be interesting to see what wojo can do moving forward related to recruiting. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
classy move...i'll pull for the kid...just hope he doesn't end up at VT.

will be interesting OR SCARYto see what wojo can do moving forward related to recruiting. 

Edited.  That's my only concern with Wojo as head coach.  Can he recruit?  MU isn't Duke as everyone knows...but perhaps it could be if we could retain a really good coach for 15-20 years and make it into a Duke..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
Edited.  That's my only concern with Wojo as head coach.  Can he recruit?  MU isn't Duke as everyone knows...but perhaps it could be if we could retain a really good coach for 15-20 years and make it into a Duke..

My concern is we miss out on Stone, Ellenson and Schwartz and instead get players like Heldt who while a good player, is not in the same class as the above 3.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »

You're embarrassing yourself. Florida is going after him hard. Missouri, Va Tech, Ga Tech, etc. I'm sure Wojo called him and said he wasn't good enough. Jesus.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:34 AM »
Wojo will make his imprint on the 2016 class. That will be the first year that the relationship is solely with Marquette. plus he will have a season under his management to demonstrate.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
Matt Carlino might be solid option.

A name I mentioned two weeks ago.

Back on topic with Hill, may be the classiest public de-commit I've ever come across. Hill had a strong relationship with Buzz so this news shouldn't come as a shock, though, it's nice to see he gave time to meet with Wojo and clearly thought through his decision. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out as a college player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

Back on topic with Hill, may be the classiest public de-commit I've ever come across. Hill had a strong relationship with Buzz so this news shouldn't come as a shock, though, it's nice to see he gave time to meet with Wojo and clearly thought through his decision. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out as a college player.

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »
Matt Carlino might be solid option.

No thanks

The guy has gone through more schools in the last 8 years than Canadian Dimes has usernames here on Scoop.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »
No thanks

The guy has gone through more schools in the last 8 years than Canadian Dimes has usernames here on Scoop.

Wasn't he creaned at Indiana?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »

Maybe he should talk to the current players, who all named Buzz as the major reason they went to MU. Yet 2 of them routinely transfered every year. I'm a Hill fan, bummed he isn't attending Marquette. He's going to be a good one I think.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 09:54:09 AM »
No thanks

He left UCLA because Howland allowed him to be bullied for a year. I think he even had his shoulder separated at one point in practice. I watched BYU at Bradley center, Carlinonis really good. He was off with his jumper, but a really smooth player with great quickness.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
Matt is very good player and his path to BYU is not as checkered as some may think. He would be great addition for a year.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »

I think there is way too much hand wringing about recruits. It is a loss to be sure, but there are other players. Who knows how any of these guys will turn out. Jamil Wilson was a top 10 recruit at one point. Davante Gardner was a 3 star (I think). Let Wojo bring in his own guys. The more important thing to me is keeping existing players on the team, and he has done that.
you're saying Wojo cooled on him?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

feedback