[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Prediction for Next Season  (Read 9310 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Prediction for Next Season
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
38-0.

John Dawson (25 and 10) plays 35 minutes at the point. Mayo (28pts, 4 rbs) JJJ (27pts, 5 stls) and Duane (30 pts, 6 assts) play the remaining 85 minutes in Wojo's 3 guard offense. Deonte plays 40 minutes every game and goes for 39 and 15 and is the unanimous college POY. Steve (19 and 12) and Luke (21 and 9) man the 5.

To nearly unanimous cheering by Scoopers, Derrick and Juan turn in their jerseys and become team managers.

The joy of the record shattering season is short lived, though. In April an NCAA investigation uncovers that a booster (Ners) has been John Dawson's agent for more than 18 months. Championship vacated, all 6 "studs" declare for the NBA and Wojo signs a 10 year, 180 million dollar contract with Phil Jackson's Knicks. Still acting AD Bill Cords hires recently fired Indiana coach Tom Crean who immediately announces a verbal from son Riley and touts him as the next Dwyane Wade. Chicos rejoices that at long last MU has hired an established coach. Warrior Nation weeps.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:23:34 AM by Lennys Tap »

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
Realize this is way premature but though could be fun topic at this point.  What's everyone's take/prediction for next season?  Assume 32 game schedule.  Final record/why?

22-10

11-7 in Big East

Think team will play significantly better being free of Buzz.  Buzz completely lost team last season, and did a lousy job.  Why I'm bullish:

Point Guard play will improve greatly - if it's Derrick...he certainly won't get worse, and should improve.  Yet expect to see Dawson/Duane getting 25-30 minutes of the action at the PG position by conference season.

Overall Guard Play:  Mayo will be a star next year.  JJJ will show his 5 star potential.

Deonte Burton:  Will be 1st Team All Conference performer.  Will be best player at MU since Wade, and will begin to show why this will be true next season.

Steve Taylor:  Will take a big step up, being freed from weird head games Buzz played last year.

Luke Fischer - Should give us a hybrid between what Otule and Gardner could do last year.  

Intangibles:  Team will have a lot of hunger and desire to show its potential after last year's debacle under Buzz.  Wojo should have great buy in.  Juan and Derrick can be solid role player/glue guys/leaders.

Luke Fischer the happy medium between very good defense, but no offense and outstanding offense, but limited defense?  A very intriguing idea.  At first blush, it kinda makes sense.  It'll definitely be in the back of my mind once Luke begins playing.

My main point, however, is that I think that next year will be a referendum on Buzz's defense.  Was it just too complicated?  Did its complexity really shave much off the other team's score?  And if it did, was it effective enough to justify keeping talented young players on the bench who would have boosted Marquette's offensive production?  Based on last year, I'm convinced that virtually every MU fan would feel some level of skepticism about the payoff from the complexity of Buzz's defense.  We will see.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:22 AM »
38-0.

John Dawson (25 and 10) plays 35 minutes at the point. Mayo (28pts, 4 rbs) JJJ (27pts, 5 stls) and Duane (30 pts, 6 assts) play the remaining 85 minutes in Wojo's 3 guard offense. Deonte plays 40 minutes every game and goes for 39 and 15 and is the unanimous college POY. Steve (19 and 12) and Luke (21 and 9) man the 5.

To nearly unanimous cheering by Scoopers, Derrick and Juan turn in their jerseys and become team managers.

The joy of the record shattering season is short lived, though. In April an NCAA investigation uncovers that a booster (Ners) has been John Dawson's agent for more than 18 months. Championship vacated, all 6 "studs" declare for the NBA and Wojo signs a 10 year, 180 million dollar contract with Phil Jackson's Knicks. Still acting AD Bill Cords hires recently fired Indiana coach Tom Crean who immediately announces a verbal from son Riley and touts him as the next Dwyane Wade. Chicos rejoices that at long last MU has hired an established coach. Warrior Nation weeps.

You missed the part where it's revealed on the Wisconsin board by Swenson that Luke Fischer, Deonte Burton and Duane Wilson all wanted to go to Wisconsin, but were refused admittance for academic reasons.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
You missed the part where it's revealed on the Wisconsin board by Swenson that Luke Fischer, Deonte Burton and Duane Wilson all wanted to go to Wisconsin, but were refused admittance for academic reasons.

Good catch, Murs.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »
I disagree. I think the conference will be better than it was last year.

Villanova will be better.
Georgetown will be much much better.
Seton Hall will be better
Providence will be at least as good if not better imo.
Butler will be better
DePaul will be better.

Xavier will be about the same.
Marquette will be about the same.

St. John's will be a little worse.
Crieghton will be a lot worse.

BE gets 5 bids instead of 4 and 3 into the Sweet 16 instead of none.

Certainly optimistic and could be the case. I don't see DePaul nor Butler being much more than they were this past season. Nova only loses Bell but they hit some fortunate points that I'm not sure happen next year. PC losing Cotton candy and Batts is a blow for a team that only played five kids. And Hoyas and Hall in similar boat where they will look to rookies to provide immediately though Hoyas have better foundation so I agree they should be better.

MU is a total wildcard with new coach. Lavin sucks. X has big hole without Semaj and Martin. No doubt Creighton down. I wouldn't even get into NCAA berths nor success as it's pointless discussion 11 months before it happens.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
Butler gets Roosevelt Jones back, which will be a big help.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 12:27:35 PM »

Digging this.  You predicted us to go 19-16 in 09-10 with a NIT bid.  Instead we go 22-12 (11-7) and a tourney bid.  I hope your history repeats itself.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »
Next season's team will be marred with growing pains.  For the people who think that MU is going to win 22+ games, you're in for a lot of frustration.

We have a new coach, and we're fielding a team that hasn't played any games together as of yet.  There's going to be a lack of cohesiveness in the first part of the season.  We also have to factor in the following, glaring deficiencies.

1.  Lack of a playmaker - Everyone is high on Deonte Burton, but he's not that guy that can handle the ball and create a shot on his own - yet.  We will have difficulty scoring.

2.  Lack of an inside post player with size/scoring ability/rebounding presence- Not having Gardner nor a big man that can score with his back to the basket will allow the defense to play loose down low.  Expect to be out-rebounded in a lot of games this year as we will be expecting our guards to be relied upon more for this.  This will allow the opposition to score some easy baskets in transition since our guards will be crashing the glass.

3.  Lack of 3 pt shooting - Mayo is ok with shooting the 3 ball, but not much else exists after him.  Without the 3 ball the defense has a huge advantage being able to double down on our best player and not sacrifice much on the defensive end.  We don't have the firepower to stretch anyone out. 

4.  Lack of perimeter defense - D. Wilson/Mayo aren't the best defenders and aren't quick to the ball.  Burton, while physical inside, has a glaring weakness defending guards who can slash to the hoop. 

5.  Lack of overall size upfront - Johnson 6'7 and and Taylor 6'5 will face an uphill battle playing down low and being outsized on a consistent basis, until Fischer is on the squad.  Burton will have to spell these guys at times, to give them a rest.  Burton essentially is playing way out of position at the 4 or 5 spot.

These questions need to be answered in order to remotely consider a post season push:

Can these guys play defense/shoot the 3 consistently ?
Duane Wilson -
John Dawson -

How comfortable will these guys be playing out of position consistently?
Burton - Forward/Guard
Steve Taylor - Forward
JaJuan Johnson - Center/Forward

Overall, I think we are worse this coming season due to what appears to be a tougher conference.  In order for the scales to tip in our favor, the freshmen are going to have to contribute a lot.  Being undersized and not be a 3 point shooting team really hurts us.  It's going to be difficult to stay in games against decent opponents.  We're going to have many games where we are out-rebounded by 10 boards or more.  Without a consistent group of guys who can hit the 3 ball, we will be out of a lot of games.  Relying on freshmen is going to result in a lot of up and down basketball with many mistakes.  Expect a lot of growing pains from this coming season with a lack of senior/junior leadership.  2015-2016 is the year to expect an NCAA tourney team. 

15 -20 Overall record
6-12  Conference record

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
What freshmen?     There is talent.    The lack of size and playing a new system is going to lead to a fair number of losses.    NIT.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
If this is the case....I'll have some serious reservations about Wojo as a coach.  Mayo and Burton will be stars next season.  Al used to say you need 3 NBA caliber talents on a roster to make a long run in NCAA/Final Four....Burton is an NBA talent...Mayo...potentially (though probably too undersized)..but Todd will have a big year next year.

Add in Duane, Steve T, Dawson, Fischer, Juan, Derrick, Cohen...there is a lot of talent on the roster for it to be an NIT team.  Fischer and Steve T will be the wildcards...if they are good...we could be REALLY good.

There may be a lot of talent but I look at it from an addition/subrtraction stand point. Right now, you start with a CBI worthy team, you subtract 4 of their top 5 scorers...including their entire frontcourt and you add an unproven C and PG who both have injury histories plus a recruiting class that is nowhere near the top 25. It just doesn't add up to tournament bid for me.

I know we all want to believe that Buzz was evil and he held back our best players. And now Wojo is here and those players who barely played next season will turn into world beaters, but that may not be the case.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 03:08:26 PM »
Digging this.  You predicted us to go 19-16 in 09-10 with a NIT bid.  Instead we go 22-12 (11-7) and a tourney bid.  I hope your history repeats itself.

You seriously remember what I predicted for Marquette before the 09-10 season? That seems unlikely. I certainly have no recollection of what I predicted that year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »
Next season's team will be marred with growing pains.  For the people who think that MU is going to win 22+ games, you're in for a lot of frustration.

We have a new coach, and we're fielding a team that hasn't played any games together as of yet.  There's going to be a lack of cohesiveness in the first part of the season.  We also have to factor in the following, glaring deficiencies.

1.  Lack of a playmaker - Everyone is high on Deonte Burton, but he's not that guy that can handle the ball and create a shot on his own - yet.  We will have difficulty scoring.

2.  Lack of an inside post player with size/scoring ability/rebounding presence- Not having Gardner nor a big man that can score with his back to the basket will allow the defense to play loose down low.  Expect to be out-rebounded in a lot of games this year as we will be expecting our guards to be relied upon more for this.  This will allow the opposition to score some easy baskets in transition since our guards will be crashing the glass.

3.  Lack of 3 pt shooting - Mayo is ok with shooting the 3 ball, but not much else exists after him.  Without the 3 ball the defense has a huge advantage being able to double down on our best player and not sacrifice much on the defensive end.  We don't have the firepower to stretch anyone out. 

4.  Lack of perimeter defense - D. Wilson/Mayo aren't the best defenders and aren't quick to the ball.  Burton, while physical inside, has a glaring weakness defending guards who can slash to the hoop. 

5.  Lack of overall size upfront - Johnson 6'7 and and Taylor 6'5 will face an uphill battle playing down low and being outsized on a consistent basis, until Fischer is on the squad.  Burton will have to spell these guys at times, to give them a rest.  Burton essentially is playing way out of position at the 4 or 5 spot.

These questions need to be answered in order to remotely consider a post season push:

Duane Wilson -
John Dawson -

Burton - Forward/Guard
Steve Taylor - Forward

15 -20 Overall record
6-12  Conference record

And you have presented yourself here as a basketball mind??  You really believe Burton can't create his own shot??  He can get a good shot off virtually every time he touches the ball....he played with the worst starting backcourt in the Big East...and possibly Top 75 D-1 teams last year and wasn't handicapped in getting a shot off.  The backcourt isn't going to get worse this upcoming season....can promise you that.

PM and let me know how much you want to wager on your prediction of 15-20 overall, and 6-12 conference.  If this team finishes anything close to those records....Wojo should be crap-canned after 1 year.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »
You seriously remember what I predicted for Marquette before the 09-10 season? That seems unlikely. I certainly have no recollection of what I predicted that year.

Go to your profile and look at your posts.  It's there kiddo.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »
There may be a lot of talent but I look at it from an addition/subrtraction stand point. Right now, you start with a CBI worthy team, you subtract 4 of their top 5 scorers...including their entire frontcourt and you add an unproven C and PG who both have injury histories plus a recruiting class that is nowhere near the top 25. It just doesn't add up to tournament bid for me.

I know we all want to believe that Buzz was evil and he held back our best players. And now Wojo is here and those players who barely played next season will turn into world beaters, but that may not be the case.

Hey, hey, why not do some farting and puking instead of being such a downer?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
Hey, hey, why not do some farting and puking instead of being such a downer?

Your Avatar needs a bikini wax. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 12:06:10 AM »
Next season's team will be marred with growing pains.  For the people who think that MU is going to win 22+ games, you're in for a lot of frustration.

We have a new coach, and we're fielding a team that hasn't played any games together as of yet.  There's going to be a lack of cohesiveness in the first part of the season.  We also have to factor in the following, glaring deficiencies.

1.  Lack of a playmaker - Everyone is high on Deonte Burton, but he's not that guy that can handle the ball and create a shot on his own - yet.  We will have difficulty scoring.

2.  Lack of an inside post player with size/scoring ability/rebounding presence- Not having Gardner nor a big man that can score with his back to the basket will allow the defense to play loose down low.  Expect to be out-rebounded in a lot of games this year as we will be expecting our guards to be relied upon more for this.  This will allow the opposition to score some easy baskets in transition since our guards will be crashing the glass.

3.  Lack of 3 pt shooting - Mayo is ok with shooting the 3 ball, but not much else exists after him.  Without the 3 ball the defense has a huge advantage being able to double down on our best player and not sacrifice much on the defensive end.  We don't have the firepower to stretch anyone out.  

4.  Lack of perimeter defense - D. Wilson/Mayo aren't the best defenders and aren't quick to the ball.  Burton, while physical inside, has a glaring weakness defending guards who can slash to the hoop.  

5.  Lack of overall size upfront - Johnson 6'7 and and Taylor 6'5 will face an uphill battle playing down low and being outsized on a consistent basis, until Fischer is on the squad.  Burton will have to spell these guys at times, to give them a rest.  Burton essentially is playing way out of position at the 4 or 5 spot.

Duane Wilson -
John Dawson -

Burton - Forward/Guard
Steve Taylor - Forward

Overall, I think we are worse this coming season due to what appears to be a tougher conference.  In order for the scales to tip in our favor, the freshmen are going to have to contribute a lot.  Being undersized and not be a 3 point shooting team really hurts us.  It's going to be difficult to stay in games against decent opponents.  We're going to have many games where we are out-rebounded by 10 boards or more.  Without a consistent group of guys who can hit the 3 ball, we will be out of a lot of games.  Relying on freshmen is going to result in a lot of up and down basketball with many mistakes.  Expect a lot of growing pains from this coming season with a lack of senior/junior leadership.  2015-2016 is the year to expect an NCAA tourney team.  

15 -20 Overall record
6-12  Conference record

I hope this is some sort of joke, but I don't think it is since this is the second thread you have alluded to JJJ being a post player in. You realize the basketball player named JaJuan Johnson who is a forward/center is 6'10" and finished his college career at Purdue after the 2010-2011 college season and is currently playing overseas, right? And the JaJuan Johnson on the Marquette roster, the team you apparently are a fan on based on the fact that you post on here nonstop, the highest rated recruit not named Vander Blue that we have signed at Marquette since the 1980s, who has already been at Marquette for a year, is a 6'5" shooting guard and will never play anything near the center position unless he goes back to the high school freshman team in Memphis, right?

Also, Steve Taylor is 6'7" and not 6'5".
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

leever

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »
I hope this is some sort of joke, but I don't think it is since this is the second thread you have alluded to JJJ being a post player in. You realize the basketball player named JaJuan Johnson who is a forward/center is 6'10" and finished his college career at Purdue after the 2010-2011 college season and is currently playing overseas, right? And the JaJuan Johnson on the Marquette roster, the team you apparently are a fan on based on the fact that you post on here nonstop, the highest rated recruit not named Vander Blue that we have signed at Marquette since the 1980s, who has already been at Marquette for a year, is a 6'5" shooting guard and will never play anything near the center position unless he goes back to the high school freshman team in Memphis, right?

Well, he did say he's be playing out of position

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
Three point shooting will be interesting next year. Buzz did not run an offense that was conducive to three point shooting. His whole emphasis was paint touches and passing for a closer shot. Wojo comes from Duke where the system always had shooters. The Wojo will likely utilize the three point shot more than Buzz did and run screens for three point shooters. I suspect JJJ, Duane Wilson, Dawson and even Anderson will be shooting a lot more threes this year.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »
I disagree. I think the conference will be better than it was last year.

Villanova will be better.
Georgetown will be much much better.
Seton Hall will be better
Providence will be at least as good if not better imo.
Butler will be better
DePaul will be better.

Xavier will be about the same.

St. John's will be a little worse.
Crieghton will be a lot worse.

BE gets 5 bids instead of 4 and 3 into the Sweet 16 instead of none.
I think the Big East might be a two bid league next year and will definately be worse than they were this year. Some new talent coming in, but freshmen rarely make a hugh impact.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2014, 06:16:11 PM »

15 -20 Overall record
6-12  Conference record

What a joke. So basically youre saying we dont win a game in conference outside of Depaul, Creighton and Butler? Talk about being overly negative.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »

A pit nitpicky but Steve is closer to 6'9" But yea, agree with your response to that idiotic post.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:59 PM »
i think we finish right around .500 again, possible NIT bid.  new coaches, new system, who knows what will happen.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 11:05:32 PM »
Your Avatar needs a bikini wax. 

Caught you looking!

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »
I think the Big East might be a two bid league next year and will definately be worse than they were this year. Some new talent coming in, but freshmen rarely make a hugh impact.

What world do you live in that Freshman rarely make a huge impact? There are definitely impact freshman coming into the BE. BE is definitely better next year not worse.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
What world do you live in that Freshman rarely make a huge impact? There are definitely impact freshman coming into the BE. BE is definitely better next year not worse.

He's lived in the same world all of us MU fans have for the last 6 years - we haven't had an impact freshman during Buzz's entire tenure at MU.  Could have this last season with Deonte Burton - but Buzz refused to let the most talented guy on the roster play more than 13 minutes per game on average.  Burton made All Big East Freshman Team, while averaging 7 minutes less per game than the next freshman who made the team.

I agree with you, that impact freshman exist - unfortunately, under Buzz he either totally missed on every Top 100 kid he signed, or he had a huge aversion to giving freshman legitimate playing time...other than Vander Blue who was AWFUL as a freshman.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback