[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Prediction for Next Season  (Read 9309 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Prediction for Next Season
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »
Realize this is way premature but though could be fun topic at this point.  What's everyone's take/prediction for next season?  Assume 32 game schedule.  Final record/why?

22-10

11-7 in Big East

Think team will play significantly better being free of Buzz.  Buzz completely lost team last season, and did a lousy job.  Why I'm bullish:

Point Guard play will improve greatly - if it's Derrick...he certainly won't get worse, and should improve.  Yet expect to see Dawson/Duane getting 25-30 minutes of the action at the PG position by conference season.

Overall Guard Play:  Mayo will be a star next year.  JJJ will show his 5 star potential.

Deonte Burton:  Will be 1st Team All Conference performer.  Will be best player at MU since Wade, and will begin to show why this will be true next season.

Steve Taylor:  Will take a big step up, being freed from weird head games Buzz played last year.

Luke Fischer - Should give us a hybrid between what Otule and Gardner could do last year.  

Intangibles:  Team will have a lot of hunger and desire to show its potential after last year's debacle under Buzz.  Wojo should have great buy in.  Juan and Derrick can be solid role player/glue guys/leaders.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Prediction for Next Season
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »
25-7.

I thought this team had real talent this past year and still do for next year. There is potentially Top 10 talent in Deonte, Todd and Taylor Jr., and maybe JJJ. If our recruits stay, we're deep and with the center situation working itself out in mid-December, we're strong as well.

Ya think maybe Coach Wojo saw that? Perhaps that's what got him to leave Duke!

I think with the right coaching and motivation, we're Sweet 16 and maybe Elite 8 with some luck. Biggest downside is we're a tad raw and inexperienced.

Then I thought this past year could have been something special!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »
New coach, new system.  We will probably have a couple of unexpected losses early and this board will do it's normal meltdown.

However with Fischer playing a larger role in conference play and Wojo's system understood, I think we could go 11-7 in conference.

I would say we get a NCAA tourney bid but just too hard to predict from there.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
Does Hill or no Hill change your outlook?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
New coach, new system.  We will probably have a couple of unexpected losses early and this board will do it's normal meltdown.

Wheres the Scoop checklist?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
No predictions until I see the make up of the roster, and see Wojo actually coach a couple of games.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:15 AM »
A year ago many of thought next year's team was potential top 10.  That was not an outlandish guess.

Then ...

* Vander went pro
* McKay transferred
* Duane red-shirted
* Steve was slow in his recovery

Tell us when what the roster is the week before we start.  Who is here, who is not, who is hurt and then we can answer this question.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »
Does Hill or no Hill change your outlook?

Certainly would be a big plus if he's on roster - would further improve depth/talent at guard position...

From what we know, everyone returns from last year's team - which is a big plus and kudos to Wojo for retaining the existing talent within program - and kudos to all the guys for sticking together.

The core of: Mayo, Deonte, JJJ, Steve, Dawson, Duane, Fischer - is very talented.  Add Cohen and Hill to that mix, along with Derrick and Juan - lots of depth, experience, and versatility.  We should be very good next year.  Too bad we didn't have Davante for 1 more year though.  Gonna miss that guy a ton.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
@Windyplayer: 2:00 p.m. CST news conference outside the Al to discuss how the process of making a prediction for the 2014-2015 is coming along.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:11:16 AM »
Just gonna put this here for reference...

( ) Buzz Wojo to (fill in the blank)
( ) Non-conference near-miss against inferior opponent (sky falls on Scoop)
( ) Non-conference stinker to inferior opponent (more sky-falling)
( ) Non-conference loss on big stage convinces board MU not ready for Big East
( ) Mid-season transfer speculation
( ) Unmentionable conference loss
( ) Derrick plays too many minutes
( ) Road Game we weren't supposed to win
( ) Late surge
( ) Top-half Big East Finish

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
I actually expect a big year from Juan…I think he paint touches rule and Buzz's system held him back a lot.  I expect him to surprise a lot of people.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 11:18:47 AM »
18-14 overall

10-8 Big East

NIT

This team will compete, but is really undersized. I expect them to be much more enjoyable to watch. They'll actually run something that resembles an offense and have fewer mixups on D. Also looking forward to seeing more than a few fast breaks.

Good things are on the way.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
I actually expect a big year from Juan…I think he paint touches rule and Buzz's system held him back a lot.  I expect him to surprise a lot of people.
Come on, man. Don't you think we would have seen glimmers of hope over the first 3 years? I hope you're right, but there's very little reason to believe in your expectations.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »
18-14 overall

10-8 Big East

NIT

This team will compete, but is really undersized. I expect them to be much more enjoyable to watch. They'll actually run something that resembles an offense and have fewer mixups on D. Also looking forward to seeing more than a few fast breaks.

Good things are on the way.

Really not that undersized when you think about it. Lets not forget when Lazar was playing the 5.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
Really not that undersized when you think about it. Lets not forget when Lazar was playing the 5.

Good point. Maybe Taylor and Fischer (when eligible) will be enough. Hope so.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »

22-10

11-7 in Big East

I think a 22-10 mark is about right, but I would expect a little better conf. record.
Based on the anticipated strength of the BE next year, I can think of a few Scoopers who would have a problem with a 11-3 non-con. start followed by 11-7 once Fischer is in the fold.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 06:13:40 AM »
Too hard to say with some certainty without knowing next year's roster or schedule. But if everything comes together, I think we can expect:

>A 20 win season
>Winning conference record
>NCAA tourney bid
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 07:12:22 AM »

Yeah, but that was with Buzz coaching.   Wojo is the great unknown.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
I can't make a record prediction until I see the schedule. But my expectations are being NIT bound. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »

Agree Buzz held him back as he did to some others. Buzz had many positive qualities but IMHO he had no clue about players being in a flow. He crushed instinctive reaction and over coached some players. How good Juan will be is unclear but if he gets on track there is potential.

I think Mayo will also be more consistent player as he plays more aggressively for all the game, not just the end when Buzz was desperate for anything. Think about it, Buzz pulled freshman Deonte in our last game of the season for making one mistake after playing his best game on the year. Buzz coached very well based on stats but missed completely those aspects of the game where stats simply do not measure.

Let's see what Wojo does. Overall Buzz was a positive winning influence but did not fit with where the school is going. Wojo is possibly a winner that alines more with the direction of the school overall. He, however, is unproven on the court as a head coach. I hope he can coach as well as he presents himself. If he can we will have one great ride over his tenure at MU.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »
I can't make a record prediction until I see the schedule. But my expectations are being NIT bound. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

If this is the case....I'll have some serious reservations about Wojo as a coach.  Mayo and Burton will be stars next season.  Al used to say you need 3 NBA caliber talents on a roster to make a long run in NCAA/Final Four....Burton is an NBA talent...Mayo...potentially (though probably too undersized)..but Todd will have a big year next year.

Add in Duane, Steve T, Dawson, Fischer, Juan, Derrick, Cohen...there is a lot of talent on the roster for it to be an NIT team.  Fischer and Steve T will be the wildcards...if they are good...we could be REALLY good.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »
6th-8th in the BE, Record depends on OOC schedule could end up being slightly better than last year with a weaker OOC. NIT at best.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
I think top four in Big East and 1st is a possibility. Somewhat a reflection of my expectations that Big East will not be as good as last year.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
I think top four in Big East and 1st is a possibility. Somewhat a reflection of my expectations that Big East will not be as good as last year.

I happen to agree the conference will be down but it was already poor last season. Nova and Jays proved to be paper tigers and Xavier was last team in and showed it. PC only team to equip themselves well.

This is not to mention that our crapshow of a season was very nearly an 11-7 record and solo third which epitomizes the state of the conference.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
I disagree. I think the conference will be better than it was last year.

Villanova will be better.
Georgetown will be much much better.
Seton Hall will be better
Providence will be at least as good if not better imo.
Butler will be better
DePaul will be better.

Xavier will be about the same.
Marquette will be about the same.

St. John's will be a little worse.
Crieghton will be a lot worse.

BE gets 5 bids instead of 4 and 3 into the Sweet 16 instead of none.