[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I was in Sigma Phi Delta.  (Read 8612 times)

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
I was in Sigma Phi Delta.
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »
I was in Sigma Phi Delta while I was at Marquette. Our house was built with donations from our alumni, but donated to the university because it is not tax deductible to donate to a Fraternity or Sorority. Marquette did not pay one cent in the building of our house. In the Spring of 2003 (around St. Valentine's day) we had a party on campus. nothing bad happened at the party, nothing bad every happened at our parties. It was just loud music, dancing, and beer. Campus police came to the door and told us to shut down the party, so we did. Campus police never came into the house. The week before finals we receive an eviction notice from the university. No where on the eviction notice does it say WHY we were being evicted, just that the University could. After some of our powerful alumni called and spoke with the powers that be, it came out that the university cited a "history of misconduct" and they primarily used events dating back to when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL.

I have no idea what really happened with these accusations, and I will not claim to. What I do know is that when I was in the fraternity it was one of the best experiences of my life. Sigma Phi Delta, as well as Triangle, are professional organizations. We are all engineers and we use the fraternity to network to help each other both personally and professionally. Members and former members are always putting out messages to one another when a job opens up, or when an internship opens up for a MU student, and we have developed lifelong relationships. Fraternities are not some dark, secret organization. They are a bunch of guys with a common bond (Engineering) who come together to discuss courses they are taking and have some fun on the weekends. They are NOT John Belushi in Animal House. Yes, there were screw-ups who took seven years to graduate, but I honestly believe if not for the structure of the fraternity they would not have graduated at all and would be in a much worse state in life.

The fact that Marquette has decided to go after the three biggest fraternities AT THE SAME TIME stinks to high heaven to me. The odds that all three fraternities would have similar allegations IN THE SAME WEEK are almost as good as hitting the Powerball lottery twice in a row.

The day I was evicted by Marquette (the week before finals) I realized a few very important things.
1) Marquette only cares about money and in no way cares about the well being of the students that graduate from there.
2) Marquette has a hatred for Fraternities and will take any small charge they can and try to make it as big as possible without and substance.

Again, I have no idea what really happened here, and I do not pretend do. The fact that all three would be put under the microscope at the same time stinks to high heaven to me. And having dealt with the university personally with a similar situation I have NO FAITH that the university has any basis for their claims.

I love Marquette basketball, and I am proud to say that I went to Marquette. However the way the University treats men that decide to join a fraternity for professional reasons is deplorable.

We Are Marquette. Unless you're in a fraternity, then you're on your own.
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

Badgerhater

• All American
Re: I was in Sigma Phi Delta.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
SUPERBAR!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:31:29 AM »
I was in Sigma Phi Delta while I was at Marquette. Our house was built with donations from our alumni, but donated to the university because it is not tax deductible to donate to a Fraternity or Sorority. Marquette did not pay one cent in the building of our house. In the Spring of 2003 (around St. Valentine's day) we had a party on campus. nothing bad happened at the party, nothing bad every happened at our parties. It was just loud music, dancing, and beer. Campus police came to the door and told us to shut down the party, so we did. Campus police never came into the house. The week before finals we receive an eviction notice from the university. No where on the eviction notice does it say WHY we were being evicted, just that the University could. After some of our powerful alumni called and spoke with the powers that be, it came out that the university cited a "history of misconduct" and they primarily used events dating back to when I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL.

I have no idea what really happened with these accusations, and I will not claim to. What I do know is that when I was in the fraternity it was one of the best experiences of my life. Sigma Phi Delta, as well as Triangle, are professional organizations. We are all engineers and we use the fraternity to network to help each other both personally and professionally. Members and former members are always putting out messages to one another when a job opens up, or when an internship opens up for a MU student, and we have developed lifelong relationships. Fraternities are not some dark, secret organization. They are a bunch of guys with a common bond (Engineering) who come together to discuss courses they are taking and have some fun on the weekends. They are NOT John Belushi in Animal House. Yes, there were screw-ups who took seven years to graduate, but I honestly believe if not for the structure of the fraternity they would not have graduated at all and would be in a much worse state in life.

The fact that Marquette has decided to go after the three biggest fraternities AT THE SAME TIME stinks to high heaven to me. The odds that all three fraternities would have similar allegations IN THE SAME WEEK are almost as good as hitting the Powerball lottery twice in a row.

The day I was evicted by Marquette (the week before finals) I realized a few very important things.
1) Marquette only cares about money and in no way cares about the well being of the students that graduate from there.
2) Marquette has a hatred for Fraternities and will take any small charge they can and try to make it as big as possible without and substance.

Again, I have no idea what really happened here, and I do not pretend do. The fact that all three would be put under the microscope at the same time stinks to high heaven to me. And having dealt with the university personally with a similar situation I have NO FAITH that the university has any basis for their claims.

I love Marquette basketball, and I am proud to say that I went to Marquette. However the way the University treats men that decide to join a fraternity for professional reasons is deplorable.

Nah dawg, u still got ur bros. Ain't that what frats are for?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
If you guys had been big time donors or made the university boku dollars by being a basketball player; I'm sure you could have had Halloween parties that incorporated sexual assaults into the mix and not heard a peep.   

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:10 AM »
If you guys had been big time donors or made the university boku dollars by being a basketball player; I'm sure you could have had Halloween parties that incorporated sexual assaults into the mix and not heard a peep.   

Exactly.
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »

They should include this after Be The Difference or make it Marquette's fifth pillar.

The more anti-Frat stances at MU, the better.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:59:26 AM by PTM »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »
So you got an eviction notice a week before finals. It's not like you had to move before finals.  If you moved when you got the notice, shame on you.  Since when is whining allowed on this  board?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
So you got an eviction notice a week before finals. It's not like you had to move before finals.  If you moved when you got the notice, shame on you.  Since when is whining allowed on this  board?

I did not move the day I got the notice, I moved at the end of the month. But YOU try to focus on studying for finals when you also have no idea where you are going to be living in two weeks. The point is that I am trying to show the lack of caring the University has for anyone that gets in their way. If they really cared about the student they could have served the notice at the end of finals week or the week after.

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:45:07 AM »
They should include this after Be The Difference or make it Marquette's fifth pillar.

+1

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
I am a Greek. I am a member of one of the fraternities that is not being investigated.

I went to events and parties hosted by all three of these fraternities (2007-2011). And I saw plenty to be ashamed of. I can think of three separate occasions where I had to step between a man and woman because the man had raised a hand to or was threatening a woman. I can think of another instance when one of my friends passed out and we took her to the hospital. It turned out she had been given a heavy dose of rohypnol. And finally another time when I walked into a bedroom and found a guy on top of an unconscious girl. I reported every one of those instances and only in the last one did the university do anything about it.

So when I heard about these accusations, all I could think was "It's about time."

I'm sorry that you were wrongly evicted, but these organizations are not the same as when you were a student. I have no idea if there is any merit to the current accusations, but I witnessed plenty in my four years to make believe that they may have some merit.

As for the fact that the university going after all three at the same time being suspicious, think about what month it is. It is Greek Week. That week is always accompanied by the worst of this behavior. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all three did something during Greek Week to get themselves in trouble.

Believe it or not, the university does not make up things like this. Prosecuting fraternities is a huge embarrassment to the university. They only stand to lose money from this. Blaming the university is only deflecting the blame off the students who truly deserve it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Life is hard.  Wear a helmet.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
+1

Should probably note we don't agree, and I like Marquette avoiding frats at all costs.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
Should probably note we don't agree, and I like Marquette avoiding frats at all costs.

I preferred it when he agreed with your stance which was polar opposite of his stance.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:26 AM »
I preferred it when he agreed with your stance which was polar opposite of his stance.

..... Allegedly

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:47 AM »
I am a Greek. I am a member of one of the fraternities that is not being investigated.

I went to events and parties hosted by all three of these fraternities (2007-2011). And I saw plenty to be ashamed of. I can think of three separate occasions where I had to step between a man and woman because the man had raised a hand to or was threatening a woman. I can think of another instance when one of my friends passed out and we took her to the hospital. It turned out she had been given a heavy dose of rohypnol. And finally another time when I walked into a bedroom and found a guy on top of an unconscious girl. I reported every one of those instances and only in the last one did the university do anything about it.

So when I heard about these accusations, all I could think was "It's about time."

I'm sorry that you were wrongly evicted, but these organizations are not the same as when you were a student. I have no idea if there is any merit to the current accusations, but I witnessed plenty in my four years to make believe that they may have some merit.

As for the fact that the university going after all three at the same time being suspicious, think about what month it is. It is Greek Week. That week is always accompanied by the worst of this behavior. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all three did something during Greek Week to get themselves in trouble.

Believe it or not, the university does not make up things like this. Prosecuting fraternities is a huge embarrassment to the university. They only stand to lose money from this. Blaming the university is only deflecting the blame off the students who truly deserve it.

As I said earlier, I have NO idea about the validity of the current allegations. My point is that based on previous, personally experienced behavior of the University I can say that if you believe that the university would not make something up to serve their agenda you are mistaken.

Also, we never had big parties during Greek Week. We were always so focused on the events we didnt have time to do anything else.

I truly hope nothing bad happened to any person at any event. And if something bad did happen I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But I am leaning on The innocent side of "innocent until proven guilty".

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »

Greek Unity. Agree with most of your sentiment but the three biggest on campus now a days are Kappa Sigma, Sigma Chi and Delta Chi and its not even close. I am in a fraternity on campus that will go unnamed because thats not what this is about. Its about the Greek community supporting each other.

Now, I dont support the actions if these allegations are true but in the past MU has suspended entire chapters for a year just for drinking in the house. So I will give props the the MU admin here for just giving a strong warning which tells me that whether or not you haters like it or not Greek Life is growing.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 10:16:54 AM »
waiting for the greeks to speak out and demand that their name be cleared of having any association with college fraternities and or sororities  :o  couldn't decide if teal was appropriate here or not?
don't...don't don't don't don't

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »
Chi Town Warrior:

Thank you, I am basing it on when I went to MU, I dont doubt what you're saying about the size of the fraternities today. I am glad to hears Greek Life is still growing at MU!

I also hope if it is true the person(s) responsible are held accountable and not the fraternities. That would be like the NFL suspending the Patriots for a year because Hernandez killed someone.

New tagline:

WE Are Marquette. WE make the rules.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:39 AM »
Boo fricken hoo.

MU is a private institution. The administration can do whatever they want regarding fraternities. And the majority of alumni/students would support less Greek life on campus. You're lucky they haven't shut it down completely.

If it was that important to you, you should have gone to UW
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:25:38 AM by Bleuteaux »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »

RyanConroy

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
Would be a good riddance.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:39:16 AM by MUAlum »

DavidDiggsDawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
Would be a good riddance.

I dont understand why there is such vitriolic hatred for something you were not a part of and therefore do not fully understand?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 11:05:21 AM »
I dont understand why there is such vitriolic hatred for something you were not a part of and therefore do not fully understand?

Being an outside observer of what it is or what it appears to be isn't enough?

And if it isn't what it appears to be, then why does it appear that way?