[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Awards Banquet  (Read 14878 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Awards Banquet
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
Someone with mad photoshop skills needs to put Brent's face on that Hillbillys picture in the driver's seat.

RIP, Tall Titan.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
RIP, Tall Titan.

Tall Titan was only good at bragging about the free pizzas he got at the game.

MUCrew is the dude with mad photoshop skills. I'm still waiting for more wallpapers!

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
So how was Comedy Sportz?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »
was not saying they "showed Buzz"   = was saying buzz created a ridiculous list of awards given out year.  Really dragged out the banquet and most of the Buzz awards were redundant, confusing and seemed like a "ribbon" parade to get all players an award.

But Lenny can perceive anything a as a slam to Buzz.

Lenny - by the way - the Character Revealed comment WAS a slam on Buzz...

Too bad Buzz did not stay - he could have created the "Lenny's Biggest Slurper of the Year Award"

Wow. MU sure "showed" Buzz.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:33:18 AM by madtownwarrior »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 08:32:12 AM »
Getting on the truck and heading south on I 94?

I told you all he was a Hillbilly!

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
List of Buzz awards ditched:

One Shining Moment Award
Wesley Matthews "Just Today" Award
Lazar Hayward "Everyday Tough" Award
Rob Frozena "We Are Marquette" Award
Joseph Fulce "WDYL? 1%" Award
Jimmy Butler "Only Now Exists" Award
Darius Johnson-Odom "Sacrifice For The String" Award
Character Revealed Award

Why is Rob Frozena the namesake of an award?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
For the record, Buzz was not mentioned by name once last night.  Not by Wayne Larrivee, not by any of the players, and not by Jerry Wainwright.

The only indirect mention was by Wojo, who referred to him as "a former coach of yours".

Coach gave a great little speech after the awards were handed out. He told the story of how he first met Jerry as a 16-year-old prospect.  Jerry hosted Wojo when he visited Wake Forest, and hung out with him when his flight home was delayed for 8 hours.  Per Wojo, Jerry talked the entire time.  
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 08:56:59 AM »
For the record, Buzz was not mentioned by name once last night.  Not by Wayne Larrivee, not by any of the players, and not by Jerry Wainwright.

The only indirect mention was by Wojo, who referred to him as "a former coach of yours".

Coach gave a great little speech after the awards were handed out. He told the story of how he first met Jerry as a 16-year-old prospect.  Jerry hosted Wojo when he visited Wake Forest, and hung out with him when his flight home was delayed for 8 hours.  Per Wojo, Jerry talked the entire time.  

Sounds like a fitting story.  Does this mean Jerry's staying on as an assistant?

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Sounds like a fitting story.  Does this mean Jerry's staying on as an assistant?

Jerry was in the first scene in the highlight video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkb6jex6-80
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 09:39:53 AM »
Jerry had the best joke of the night.  He was talking about Davante's weight and how hard he worked at reshaping his body this year.  Jerry said that when they broached the subject with him last summer, Davante countered by saying that heat causes things to expand.  "I'm not fat'" he said, "I'm just hot."

He also told a great joke about a talking frog, but I am demoting to second-funniest since I had heard it several times before from other people.
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »

Jerry hosted my great-grandfather as well as Wake.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
Jerry hosted my great-grandfather as well as Wake.

win.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
damn, the Wake fan in me wishes Wojo had gone to Wake Forest

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
was not saying they "showed Buzz"   = was saying buzz created a ridiculous list of awards given out year.  Really dragged out the banquet and most of the Buzz awards were redundant, confusing and seemed like a "ribbon" parade to get all players an award.

But Lenny can perceive anything a as a slam to Buzz.

Lenny - by the way - the Character Revealed comment WAS a slam on Buzz...

Too bad Buzz did not stay - he could have created the "Lenny's Biggest Slurper of the Year Award"

Whoa, pal, why so sensitive? I would have thought that a guy who so routinely insults others (recently calling posters here "dickheads, jackholes, whiny little bitches who exhibit complete stupidity and have no f'ing clue", etc.) would have a little thicker skin and could take a joke. Guess all the Polish jokes you had to endure as a little boy turned you into the humorless, angry guy you are today.

As for "slurping", I do not (unlike you) have any artwork autographed by our former coach. I've met him on several occasions but it never occurred to me to ask him for his signature - I left that sort of childish hero worshipping behind when I turned 8 or so. It doesn't look good on adults, as witnessed by your over the top reaction to Brent's departure.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »
No direct knowledge if Jerry is staying but I sure hope Wojo has room for him somewhere.  My gut tells me Jerry stays in some capacity if he wants to and I suspect he does.  It really appears that the players love and appreciate the old goat.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 10:34:27 AM »
No direct knowledge if Jerry is staying but I sure hope Wojo has room for him somewhere.  My gut tells me Jerry stays in some capacity if he wants to and I suspect he does.  It really appears that the players love and appreciate the old goat.
I know it's a running gag, but is he really THAT old? I thought he was still in his mid 60s

GOO

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 10:35:32 AM »
Whoa, pal, why so sensitive? I would have thought that a guy who so routinely insults others (recently calling posters here "dickheads, jackholes, whiny little bitches who exhibit complete stupidity and have no f'ing clue", etc.) would have a little thicker skin and could take a joke. Guess all the Polish jokes you had to endure as a little boy turned you into the humorless, angry guy you are today.

As for "slurping", I do not (unlike you) have any artwork autographed by our former coach. I've met him on several occasions but it never occurred to me to ask him for his signature - I left that sort of childish hero worshipping behind when I turned 8 or so. It doesn't look good on adults, as witnessed by your over the top reaction to Brent's departure.

So, what does one do with artwork autographed by a former coach.  I still have a framed midnight madness shirt signed by Crean hanging in my den/office at home.  Just too lazy to take it down, I guess, and now the sting of his leaving has passed, so maybe I should just keep it up.  Not knowing the proper protocol for this type of situation has resulted in inaction and procrastination that has changed to apathy and acceptance.  Maybe the four stages of grief associated with this type of matter.  

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »

Out of curiosity, how much does a Buzz Williams velvet oil painting go for ? 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
I know it's a running gag, but is he really THAT old? I thought he was still in his mid 60s

He said last night that he has been coaching for 48 years.  You can do the math.
Have some patience, FFS.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 10:49:06 AM »
As for "slurping", I do not (unlike you) have any artwork autographed by our former coach.  I left that sort of childish hero worshipping behind...

Yeah, I guess making a sizable donation to the Blue and Gold fund is pretty childish. Hmm, might have already been signed by Buzz so I did noi have "chase him down"

Sorry to be have supporting MU Athletics with the purchase....

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
Out of curiosity, how much does a Buzz Williams velvet oil painting go for ? 

It depends. Bert "Playing Cards" or "Shooting Pool?"

Death on call

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »
Someone with mad photoshop skills needs to put Brent's face on that Hillbillys picture in the driver's seat.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:26 AM »
^ would be a great wallpaper

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:13 AM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback