[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities  (Read 32195 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »
1922 W Kilnourn used to be a dirt parking lot when I lived the The Swamp next door.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:56 AM »
Regardless of your opinion of frats vs bros vs etc...I'm not going there in this post.

From what I understand, aren't the houses of the three fraternities in questioned, owned by Marquette?  With annual leases guaranteed to the members at a flat fee?

Is that the bigger issue and why it's making waves in the media?  A sexual assault in an university owned building?  I'd be curious to see all the numbers of assaults reported in university owned housing versus surrounding neighborhood?

I know many of you may have an issue with this statement...when 2040 lofts opened, it was the rich of the rich kids living there who had a privileged background. If an assault happens there, how are they reported?  Does Marquette get notified?

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
I know many of you may have an issue with this statement...when 2040 lofts opened, it was the rich of the rich kids living there who had a privileged background. If an assault happens there, how are they reported?  Does Marquette get notified?

Probably worth a thread on its own. It seems like campus area housing is either obscenely expensive or very run down.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
The frats at Marquette are a joke. I've yet to hear of one instance of someone butt chugging a box of Franzia. Step yo game up MU frats.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
Regardless of your opinion of frats vs bros vs etc...I'm not going there in this post.

From what I understand, aren't the houses of the three fraternities in questioned, owned by Marquette?  With annual leases guaranteed to the members at a flat fee?

Is that the bigger issue and why it's making waves in the media?  A sexual assault in an university owned building?  I'd be curious to see all the numbers of assaults reported in university owned housing versus surrounding neighborhood?

SPD and Triangle are owned by MU.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2014, 08:28:37 AM »

I know many of you may have an issue with this statement...when 2040 lofts opened, it was the rich of the rich kids living there who had a privileged background. If an assault happens there, how are they reported?  Does Marquette get notified?

It was? I lived there though...and there were plenty of non-students living there as well. Entire families actually. Also, Marcus Landry and Efueko Osagie lived there with their child.

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
It was? I lived there though...and there were plenty of non-students living there as well. Entire families actually. Also, Marcus Landry and Efueko Osagie lived there with their child.

Well the dollar figure for rent plus the individuals living there led to the perception.  Not trying to try classify you or anyone else.  Just a blanket statement of some opinions.

But the key part of that statement was, if an assault happens on a non-university owned piece or property, how is that handled/reported?  Obviously MPD has a stake, but is there follow up to Marquette?

Ziggy shared that piece about SPD and Triangle being university owned.  Just curious how that whole process work in regards to university owned vs non-owned and reporting.

EDIT

Worth the read: http://www.marquette.edu/osd/policies/sexual_misconduct_policy.shtml

Interesting point is that all students, employees and faculty are encouraged to report incidents of sexual misconduct to the university.  However they can opt for a direct report to MPD or contact the Aurora Sinai Medical Center’s Sexual Assault Treatment Center.  Maybe I glanced over it, but I didn't see anything about direct reports being communicated back to the university.

Still a gray area IMO.  My assumption is this is the flow of events:
  • On Campus Assault -> Reported to Marquette -> Report Communicated to MPD
  • Off Campus Assault -> Reported to Marquette -> Reported to MPD
  • On Campus Assault -> Reported to MPD-> Report Communicated to Marquette
  • Off Campus Assault -> Reported to MPD-> Not communicated to Marquette

At the end of the post I'm saying two things...
1. The fact that assault occurred on campus in university owned buildings (2 of 3 - SPD and TRI) brings this to the media's attention and makes the university and fraternities look bad.  Headline "Assault on Marquette's Campus"
2. Unless the 4th flow mentioned above is incorrect, is there a possibility of a greater problem and Marquette doesn't know about?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:11:51 AM by INDYWarrior »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
I have no knowledge of any of these allegations.  I'm not going to touch the hazing, as could be even more broad than the sexual misconduct.

That said, sexual misconduction could range from a rape/sexual assault, to some dude copping a feel on the dance floor, to a verbal comment made to or in the direction of a female student.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
#1 There is nothing inherently wrong with Frats. They serve their purpose for those who chose to join.

#2 Greek life is not, and should not be a vital part of the MU experience. It should be treated like most other organizations and clubs, including club sports, student gov, volunteer groups, etc. It's an option for people. It's not vital to a student's overall experience.

#3 MU isn't big enough to really require a large Greek presence. There are already a lot of clubs and organizations to join (including Greek ones). MU doesn't need thousands of Greek members, and creating a possible divide in the student culture. That would be a mistake in my opinion.

#4 (this is an important one) MU requires most/all students live in the dorms for 2 years. The vast majority of students make plenty of friends and acquaintances in those 2 years to easily make the transition to living outside of the dorms (either off campus, or in campus town). This isn't applicable for EVERY student, but is pretty accurate for the majority of students.

#5 Frats have their place, even at MU. However, a couple people in this thread seem to be pushing their merits pretty hard, and I think they are missing the bigger picture. There are a lot of schools around the country that have a large Greek presence. MU isn't one of them, and realistically, it should remain that way.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

Its a side bar but...

But the funny thing is that while it may have been rich kids living there, the apartments were still of crapty quality with paper-thin walls and IKEA furniture

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 01:47:12 PM »
yeah, about that: I found this from an old article of the MU Tribune that pretty much sums it up... and just to be clear I had already graduated and played no part in this sad event.

Alcohol, not hazing, an issue at Marquette

By Phil Caruso

Tribune Staff

Despite the men's lacrosse club team's recent hazing-induced suspension, hazing does not appear to be a reccuring problem at Marquette.

Before the lacrosse team was suspended last month, the last act defined as hazing at Marquette occurred in December 1992 when the Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity's charter was revoked as a result of hazing.

The fraternity set an intoxicated member on fire, causing second degree burns to 22 percent of his body, at its home which was located at 1922 W. Kilbourn Ave., according to back issues of The Marquette Tribune. In January of 1993 the university revoked the fraternity's charter.

According to Stephanie Quade, associate dean in the office of student development, Marquette does not have a real problem with hazing so much as it does have a problem with alcohol.

All hazing incidents in the past twenty years at Marquette have been alcohol related. Before the fraternity was charged with hazing in the early '90s, the men's rugby club team was charged with hazing in 1989. The team elected a "Rugby Queen" and sang her 'anthem' which depicted female anatomy, according to Tribune back issues.

"Almost every incident involving vandalism, harassment and hazing has been alcohol-related," Quade said.

Does VT have a TKE chapter for Malek Harris to join once he gets to college?

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Maybe that kid from UWM is right.  Maybe we are all rapey bros in tank tops.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
Not to call out some of the parents on here but it seems to be the parents of current Greek students who are proclaiming that Greek is necessary now days.  If you aren't here and your student is in Greek you at getting a every narrow perspective.  Not trying to call your student anti social or anything but your perspective is coming from the complaining of a new college student then the happiness once they joined Greek life.  Could it be that it was a tad of culture shock turned into acceptance?

Also I know that Phonathon, the brew, the annex etc all have work parties.  I know at least club soccer, rugby and lacrosse all have parties.  As does college dems (a bit less crazy than the other ones but still) consequently it's not necessary it's just something that certain people who don't work, aren't athletic or may need an extra boost to become social night benefit from.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2014, 04:00:25 PM »
Greek is necessary now days

Things have changed then. Back in our day this was much less accepted. Most women, in fact, found it rather distasteful.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
Things have changed then. Back in our day this was much less accepted. Most women, in fact, found it rather distasteful.

That's not what he was saying

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2014, 12:58:21 AM »
Marquette had quasi frats back in the day. Are the Rabbits, Club Rugby, and Evans Scholars still around? All three were well represented deep into the night at Lenny's.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 08:59:30 AM »
I think I heard all male frats have a hazing ritual of g** sex.

Might be confusing that with ZFB telling me about the club he and his buddy have.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »
Marquette had quasi frats back in the day. Are the Rabbits, Club Rugby, and Evans Scholars still around? All three were well represented deep into the night at Lenny's.

Evans scholars is still around. They have a huge house on Wells.

My impression is that they are now pretty tame folks. They had a massive party back in '03, things got out of hand, and the university slapped them pretty hard. Lots of kids lost their scholarships. It is my understanding that if you get caught once with alcohol in the house, even if you are of age, you can lose your scholarship.

Had some friends in the Evans house. Nice people, but not the ones you see late at night at the bar.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »

My impression is that they are now pretty tame folks. They had a massive party back in '03, things got out of hand, and the university slapped them pretty hard. Lots of kids lost their scholarships. It is my understanding that if you get caught once with alcohol in the house, even if you are of age, you can lose your scholarship.

Had some friends in the Evans house. Nice people, but not the ones you see late at night at the bar.

Bahahaha I was at that party!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:16 AM »

I remember going to parties at the Evan's Scholar's house back in the late 80s.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »
Nice people, but not the ones you see late at night at the bar.

The merge of late nights and bars has been the cauldron that has given us victory in warfare, scientific innovation, literary eloquence, and medical genius. Great schemes of commerce, the deconstruction of athletic endeavor, and the deflowerment of countless virgins have all been hand forged on the crucible of drink, sleeplessness, and abandonment of ethical shackles.   

You make it seem as if there is something tawdry in this? Explain yourself!

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
The merge of late nights and bars has been the cauldron that has given us victory in warfare, scientific innovation, literary eloquence, and medical genius. Great schemes of commerce, the deconstruction of athletic endeavor, and the deflowerment of countless virgins have all been hand forged on the crucible of drink, sleeplessness, and abandonment of ethical shackles.   

You make it seem as if there is something tawdry in this? Explain yourself!

I think he's making a commentary on a lack of party aptitude and spirit within the Evans Scholars and less on the merits of late night bar patronage.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:24 AM »
I think he's making a commentary on a lack of party aptitude and spirit within the Evans Scholars and less on the merits of late night bar patronage.

This. I was at Hegarty's all the time. I thought you knew me Keefe

And you don't need to tell me all the geniuses who have been inspired by the nectar of the gods

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:44:30 AM by Bleuteaux »

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »

So you're telling me that the fine people who live in the Evans house, even given the chance to devote themselves fully to the study of the debauched arts, would still lack the ability to party?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
the study of the debauched arts

How about the study of the debauched engineered arts? There is a bit more rigor and discipline in approaching both fornication and intoxication.

Reminds me of all the time I spent in the bush over the years. And while I knew that service requires sacrifice the sting of loneliness was cut by my fortunate relationship with three sisters. The Rhea girls were beguiling vixens who accompanied me during my time in the third world, offering constant, dependable companionship which was delivered in smoldering packages of earthy sensuality.

Ever attentive, they accompanied me in my adventures and travels and were certain to share my bed and make my senses come alive. The Rhea girls each knew how to take care of a man's most base urges. Pyor specialized in the oral arts while Diar knew that the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. And Gonor, sweet, precious lass, made herself known in ways that modesty demands I omit the details.

The Rhea sisters. Sweet Sirens of Sensuality.

Death on call