collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities  (Read 32079 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 09:52:18 AM »
Posted this in another thread but thought it would be better here.
I am a Greek. I am a member of one of the fraternities that is not being investigated.

I went to events and parties hosted by all three of these fraternities (2007-2011). And I saw plenty to be ashamed of. I can think of three separate occasions where I had to step between a man and woman because the man had raised a hand to or was threatening a woman. I can think of another instance when one of my friends passed out and we took her to the hospital. It turned out she had been given a heavy dose of rohypnol. And finally another time when I walked into a bedroom and found a guy on top of an unconscious girl. I reported every one of those instances and only in the last one did the university do anything about it.

So when I heard about these accusations, all I could think was "It's about time."

As for the fact that the university going after all three at the same time being suspicious, think about what month it is. It is Greek Week. That week is always accompanied by the worst of this behavior. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all three did something during Greek Week to get themselves in trouble.

Believe it or not, the university does not make up things like this. Prosecuting fraternities is a huge embarrassment to the university. They only stand to lose money from this. Blaming the university is only deflecting the blame off the students who truly deserve it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:34 AM »
I am a Greek.

So, you like the anal route, aina?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
So, you like the anal route, aina?

Watch out for the backdoor cut!!!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
nm not worth it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:13:26 AM by chitownwarrior2011 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »
I am a Greek. I am a member of one of the fraternities that is not being investigated.

I went to events and parties hosted by all three of these fraternities (2007-2011). And I saw plenty to be ashamed of. I can think of three separate occasions where I had to step between a man and woman because the man had raised a hand to or was threatening a woman. I can think of another instance when one of my friends passed out and we took her to the hospital. It turned out she had been given a heavy dose of rohypnol. And finally another time when I walked into a bedroom and found a guy on top of an unconscious girl. I reported every one of those instances and only in the last one did the university do anything about it.

So when I heard about these accusations, all I could think was "It's about time."

I'll comment on this as a non-Greek, as well as someone who didn't attend Marquette for undergrad, but attended a school where at least 50% of the population was Greek.  I went to plenty of frat parties, had very good friends across a variety of frats and heard plenty of stories.  In my experience, fraternities are no better or worse than any segment of the student population, however, unlike a pack of guys from the same dorm or whatnot, they do have governing bodies and oversight which gives them accountability and forces them to answer for general douchey behavior.  I always cringe when I see things being directly attributed to frats or frat culture.  It always seems like strawman for certain people just being degenerates in general, and instead cheapens something that has alot of positive benefits.

I was in a business organization in college that was 120 members or so, functioned alot like a fraternity, and had 2-3 houses that were "pass downs".  The main difference was that it was co-ed, however, outside of some of the more reprehensible stuff like roofies and sexual assault, I would see issues with stuff I saw fraternities getting in trouble for all the time.  Again, not condoning the behavior in the least, but furthering my point that its symptimatic of groups of college students straying outside the guardrails more than the evils of Greek life.

To come full circle, I support Marquette taking action, cause oversight and accountability are absolutely necessary to weed this sort of stuff out, but inevitably, whenever this happens, it becomes open season on frats and cracks about buying your friends, and I just think its out of line.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
Keep in mind the recent news about SAE (the biggest fraternity in the country) and the severe problems they've been having.  (Serious hazing, deaths, etc.)

If Lloyd's of London won't touch you, you have some serious problems.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/03/27/324547.htm

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:46 AM »
Keep in mind the recent news about SAE (the biggest fraternity in the country) and the severe problems they've been having.  (Serious hazing, deaths, etc.)

If Lloyd's of London won't touch you, you have some serious problems.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/03/27/324547.htm

For those of you who didnt feel like reading the article. Ill summarize basically SAE is taking a SigEp like model and getting rid of the pledging process. So there are full members right away, not pledges.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
At the end of the day, Frats are fine.  They just weren't needed or desired at MU for a long time.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »
At the end of the day, Frats are fine.  They just weren't needed or desired at MU for a long time.

They're still not needed, unless you can't make friends first semester.
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:16 AM »
She's not.  She also doesn't believe that boxing is a sport.

But that's on the questionaire I give to girls before considering them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

RyanConroy

« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
The MU administration's blatant anti-Greek stance has been one of its few redeeming qualities.

Not to suggest these allegations aren't serious. I'm sure the university is extremely touchy about any "sexual misconduct" at this point.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »
shoot!  if it weren't for the sexual assaults and the roofie thingy, mother teresa would be greek :o
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
The MU administration's blatant anti-Greek stance has been one of its few redeeming qualities.

Not to suggest these allegations aren't serious. I'm sure the university is extremely touchy about any "sexual misconduct" at this point.

Ok dude, your anti-Greek vendetta is getting a little out of hand. Others who have disagreed have at least brought perspective and explained but you on the other hand hate fraternities, well...because theyre fraternities.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »
Couple of comments from an alumni (from back in the day when Greek was practically a four letter word on campus) and a parent (who has a Greek kid at MU and has personally witnessed the significant growth of that culture on campus).

1) The fraternities have been in trouble before.  We've laughingly used the phrase 'double secret probation' but the reality is that over the last 3-4 years the administration has had to discipline them more then once.  I know of specific instances, some of which are beyond the pale.  I have great respect for the majority of the Greek students I have been introduced to but all must appreciate that they are now treading on very thin ice.  I urge their membership to take the bull by the horns and clean things up.

2) The comments in this thread about 'buying friends' etc. couldn't be more misplaced regarding the Greek system on today's Marquette campus.  It is very active and populated in many cases by Marquette's best and brightest.  Unlike the 1980's when ASMU created an organized social life (thank you very much), a lot of it today involves the fraternity/sorority system.  As an example, this past weekend my daughter's sorority sponsored Pass Xi Syrup, a pancake breakfast that annually raises thousands of dollars for Autism Awareness.  It was packed.  The sorority Air Band competition at the Varsity draws one of the biggest crowds of the year.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:05:17 AM by jsglow »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
 As an example, this past weekend by daughter's sorority sponsored Pass Xi Syrup, a pancake breakfast that annually raises thousands of dollars for Autism Awareness.  It was packed.  The sorority Air Band competition at the Varsity draws one of the biggest crowds of the year.

You actually just mentioned my two favorite events of the year. Airband is always so much fun and there nothing quite like all you can eat pancakes the morning after a night out. But yea, they raised a ton of money along with other sororities and fraternities on campus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
You actually just mentioned my two favorite events of the year. Airband is always so much fun and there nothing quite like all you can eat pancakes the morning after a night out. But yea, they raised a ton of money along with other sororities and fraternities on campus.

What's not to like when a pretty girl smiles at you and passes over a plate of tasty pancakes; all for $5?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
Couple of comments from an alumni (from back in the day when Greek was practically a four letter word on campus) and a parent (who has a Greek kid at MU and has personally witnessed the significant growth of that culture on campus).

1) The fraternities have been in trouble before.  We've laughingly used the phrase 'double secret probation' but the reality is that over the last 3-4 years the administration has had to discipline them more then once.  I know of specific instances, some of which are beyond the pale.  I have great respect for the majority of the Greek students I have been introduced to but all must appreciate that they are now treading on very thin ice.  I urge their membership to take the bull by the horns and clean things up.

2) The comments in this thread about 'buying friends' etc. couldn't be more misplaced regarding the Greek system on today's Marquette campus.  It is very active and populated in many cases by Marquette's best and brightest.  Unlike the 1980's when ASMU created an organized social life (thank you very much), a lot of it today involves the fraternity/sorority system.  As an example, this past weekend my daughter's sorority sponsored Pass Xi Syrup, a pancake breakfast that annually raises thousands of dollars for Autism Awareness.  It was packed.  The sorority Air Band competition at the Varsity draws one of the biggest crowds of the year.

Thought you were talking sizzurp.  Now that would be something cool to sponsor.

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
I can safely say that no TKE fraternity member was involved... not because we can't get the ladies but it's now been a couple decades since we were kicked out and disbanded...

The greek olympics were a fun time though.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »
I can safely say that no TKE fraternity member was involved... not because we can't get the ladies but it's now been a couple decades since we were kicked out and disbanded...

The greek olympics were a fun time though.

Not only was TKE kicked off of campus but I found out recently that they are actually banned from ever coming back. What the hell did you guys do?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »
What's not to like when a pretty girl smiles at you and passes over a plate of tasty pancakes; all for $5?

So many jokes I will refrain from making.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »
Thought you were talking sizzurp.  Now that would be something cool to sponsor.

now that was lol fricken funny!!  hit up justine beeber for some donations
don't...don't don't don't don't

RyanConroy

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2014, 11:26:28 AM »
Ok dude, your anti-Greek vendetta is getting a little out of hand. Others who have disagreed have at least brought perspective and explained but you on the other hand hate fraternities, well...because theyre fraternities.

Haha. For reference, I have friends who were in frats. I do not care about the state or future of Greek life at Marquette. If it became the epicenter of social life or was responsible for more violence/sexual "misconduct"/hazing, I would care. Right now they seem fairly innocuous.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2014, 05:07:22 AM »
To come full circle, I support Marquette taking action, cause oversight and accountability are absolutely necessary to weed this sort of stuff out, but inevitably, whenever this happens, it becomes open season on frats and cracks about buying your friends, and I just think its out of line.

It's not out of line. Is making fun of Country Club culture out of line? WASPish behavior? Preppies? If you hold yourself out as being elite and exclusive in some way, you open yourself and your group to criticism.

A lot of people don't like fraternities because, well, they're fraternities and many fraternities are full of frat boys. A lot of people don't like frat boys including me.

I can assure you that if the fraternities at Marquette (or anywhere) behaved like the Jesuit Volunteer Corp on a larger scale, no one would have an issue with fraternities.
We Are Marquette

SonofPianoMan

• Starter
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2014, 06:35:23 AM »
Not only was TKE kicked off of campus but I found out recently that they are actually banned from ever coming back. What the hell did you guys do?

yeah, about that: I found this from an old article of the MU Tribune that pretty much sums it up... and just to be clear I had already graduated and played no part in this sad event.

Alcohol, not hazing, an issue at Marquette

By Phil Caruso

Tribune Staff

Despite the men's lacrosse club team's recent hazing-induced suspension, hazing does not appear to be a reccuring problem at Marquette.

Before the lacrosse team was suspended last month, the last act defined as hazing at Marquette occurred in December 1992 when the Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity's charter was revoked as a result of hazing.

The fraternity set an intoxicated member on fire, causing second degree burns to 22 percent of his body, at its home which was located at 1922 W. Kilbourn Ave., according to back issues of The Marquette Tribune. In January of 1993 the university revoked the fraternity's charter.

According to Stephanie Quade, associate dean in the office of student development, Marquette does not have a real problem with hazing so much as it does have a problem with alcohol.

All hazing incidents in the past twenty years at Marquette have been alcohol related. Before the fraternity was charged with hazing in the early '90s, the men's rugby club team was charged with hazing in 1989. The team elected a "Rugby Queen" and sang her 'anthem' which depicted female anatomy, according to Tribune back issues.

"Almost every incident involving vandalism, harassment and hazing has been alcohol-related," Quade said.