collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities  (Read 32215 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Sexual misconduct, hazing alleged at Marquette fraternities
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »
I sincerely hope MU administration makes sure that Greek life NEVER becomes a vital part of the Marquette experience.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »
I sincerely hope MU administration makes sure that Greek life NEVER becomes a vital part of the Marquette experience.

+10000000000

I'm sure it works for some people but if it became "vital" it'd be a travesty. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »

Agreed. There are so many ways to make friends and socialize at MU that don't require paying for friends.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
Greek was never a part of the MU community and I'm not sure why they need it. My only observation is that all-male societies often create, "there I was" moments for future lore which is a bit artificial.

Death on call

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
At least they nobody was lit on fire so that is a step in the right direction.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 10:00:08 PM »
Back in the day, frats were looked down on. They were kinda...odd.  MU had a great social life.  Grill concerts, block parties during our day.  If you need a frat to make friends or have fun, you weren't very imaginative.

I drove by the Harp and Conways today.  Memories.

Had to laugh this morning.  I was having breakfast at the Broken Yolk, when a campus tour guide brought a visiting family in for part of the tour.  Apparently, you can buy food there with your meal plan bucks. 

Imagine if Real Chili and Lenny's took meal card bucks.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:17 PM »
A few things:

I spent the majority of my time at MU going to bars after parties got broken up.  If your daughter wasn't going it's because she didn't have an ID or wasn't going to the right bars. 

Next, I've been to and thrown quite a few block parties in my time here.  I don't know if your daughter got the rough end of knowing upperclassmen before or what. 

But thank you for playing directly into my point with your last statement because see even parents think it's necessary and that MU sucks if you aren't involved in Greek life.  Yet I'd be happy to share my college photos which should prove quite to the contrary. 

No offense, but your daughter sounds like a stiff, like all the sorority girls in my time.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »
No offense, but your daughter sounds like a stiff, like all the sorority girls in my time.

I'm 23 no daughters at MU... Or anywhere. I think you mean the parent I was quoting.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »
Agreed. There are so many ways to make friends and socialize at MU that don't require paying for friends.

Dont you fracking dare. This is an extremely sore subject for me. My entire first year at MU I did not have many friends because Im not a person to reach out. Had I not joined a fraternity I would be by myself on this campus 24/7. Its not paying for friends. Its so much more then that. Ignorance like this and a lack of understanding about how it is not easy for people to reach out to find friends really pisses me off.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
I'm 23 no daughters at MU... Or anywhere. I think you mean the parent I was quoting.

I can see the future.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
Dont you fracking dare. This is an extremely sore subject for me. My entire first year at MU I did not have many friends because Im not a person to reach out. Had I not joined a fraternity I would be by myself on this campus 24/7. Its not paying for friends. Its so much more then that. Ignorance like this and a lack of understanding about how it is not easy for people to reach out to find friends really pisses me off.

Esard, simmer down.  Glad you are enjoying your friends.  For many of us, it's was a head scratcher as to why there were frats on campus.  MU didn't need them for the reasons mentioned before.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
This thread needs more Triangle house jokes.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:56 PM »

Sorry to piss you off so much. My comment was more to the effect that there are so many other "fraternities (it really just means brotherhood)" to join at MU that don't take your money to join. O staff, midnight run, intramural sports, HP have given me friends for life. In my experience at MU joining a frat required as much if not more effort in reaching out as these activities.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:45 PM »
I can see the future.

Could you tell me if her mom is hot then?
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 12:17:45 AM »
My entire first year at MU I did not have many friends

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:24 AM »

+10000000000

I'm sure it works for some people but if it became "vital" it'd be a travesty. 

I totally agree. Social life NOT dominated by the Greek system was a contributing factor to my choosing MU over other schools. I hope Marquette isn't trying to replicate the Greek society of a typical Big Ten school, which I purposely avoided. I had plenty of friends who attended large schools where the pressure to rush was immense, and ended up joining after swearing they wouldn't.  Marquette provides such a unique,  rich experience without that pressure. Like Piper said, it works for some, but it should never be the focal point of campus life.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 04:17:45 AM »

She's not.  She also doesn't believe that boxing is a sport.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 05:29:50 AM »

Keefe wins the Internet on this day.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:03 AM »
police the "knuckleheads"  and you wouldn't have the stigma that goes with the fraternity/sorority experience.  unfortunately, much of the "brazen knucklehead" behavior seems to become part of the fraternity lore. in retrospect, it's frats will be frats and makes for good get together stories years after the fact.  in the moment, the borderline criminal behavior goes unchecked for fears of being a "snitch"?  or rabble rouser,  party pooper, "live a little" loser, not with the program, un-fraternity-like....
i couldn't stand the constant disruptions and those who seemed to have the need to be more outlandish than the other, then the bullying that followed if you couldn't tolerate said behavior.  
hey, i had more than my share of fun at mu, but even back then, the frats weren't much to look up to and had an air of "bad boy" living on the edge, behavior.  oh yeah, and a place to make some your first contacts/ambassadors of the school?  i took my chances and consorted with those i felt comfortable and safe with and i have many stories to tell without someone getting hurt.  in other words, i chose to meet my own people and didn't need a frat or sorority to feel a need to be with the "in crowd".  it probably saved my education and more.  however, that all being said, frats/sororities are not for everyone, but they could clean themselves up by policing themselves a little better. stand up and call out the douche bags.  certain conduct should be unacceptable-period.   sometimes it takes a little more than the occasional fund raiser for the down and out or donation to some charity to show, see, we are all good people, then go back to the party till ya puke, then party some more...rock on  

don't...don't don't don't don't

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:08 AM »
Not to say the allegations are untrue, but MU has been chomping at the bit on fraternities for years.    Note that the three fraternities listed are the only three with houses on campus.  MU makes them jump thru hoops

http://www.marquette.edu/osd/greek/pdf/Risk_Management_Policy.pdf
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 07:11:20 AM »
Must be all those JUCOs in the frats

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:28 AM »
Greek was never a part of the MU community and I'm not sure why they need it. My only observation is that all-male societies often create, "there I was" moments for future lore which is a bit artificial.

Like the military back in your day!?!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »
Must be all those JUCOs in the frats

Good to see that MU's "higher standards" are producing such positive results.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:23 AM »

#donedeal

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »

#donedeal

You found IWB's source!!!!!!!