[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shatel: Big East pull helps Creighton get hoops series with Sooners  (Read 3220 times)

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
"Looks like Oklahoma is coming back to the state of Nebraska — to play Creighton. CU Athletic Director Bruce Rasmussen told me that OU and CU have signed a contract to play a home-and-home in men's basketball, beginning next season when Lon Kruger's Sooners come to the CenturyLink Center (Creighton will play at Lloyd Noble Center in Norman the following season)."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140414/SPORTS/140418954

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
Re: Shatel: Big East pull helps Creighton get hoops series with Sooners
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:02:43 AM »
I thought the Big East was no longer a power conference?  Aren't we no better than the Atlantic-10?

::)

Awesome get for Creighton.  The Big XII, despite all the defections within the past few years, has actually remained a top basketball conference.  It will definitely help their RPI.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
I thought the Big East was no longer a power conference?  Aren't we no better than the Atlantic-10?

::)

Awesome get for Creighton.  The Big XII, despite all the defections within the past few years, has actually remained a top basketball conference.  It will definitely help their RPI.

It's such a joke how so many are writing the Big East's obituary after one season!  I realize a lot of them want the conference to fail (UW die hards as an example), but they all fail to acknowledge the annoying little fact from the 2013-14 college hoops season, that among conference RPI rankings, the most objective barometer on conference strength for a given season that you'll find, the Big East was either 4th or 5th (depending which source you want to listen to) among the 30 some D-1 basketball conferences.   The Big Ten, Pac 10, and Big 12, were the only ones that by consensus were ranked higher than the Big East.

This conference will be just fine IMO.  And schools like MU, Georgetown, Butler are not going to be down like they were very long. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:28:35 PM »
oops- check that- Pac 12   ::)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
oops- check that- Pac 12   ::)

They're apparently the only conference that can count as well as kindergartners (Atlantic 10, Big 12, Big 10).

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
It's such a joke how so many are writing the Big East's obituary after one season!  I realize a lot of them want the conference to fail (UW die hards as an example), but they all fail to acknowledge the annoying little fact from the 2013-14 college hoops season, that among conference RPI rankings, the most objective barometer on conference strength for a given season that you'll find, the Big East was either 4th or 5th (depending which source you want to listen to) among the 30 some D-1 basketball conferences.   The Big Ten, Pac 10, and Big 12, were the only ones that by consensus were ranked higher than the Big East.

This conference will be just fine IMO.  And schools like MU, Georgetown, Butler are not going to be down like they were very long. 

Not "so many" ... Brent listed it as a main reason for leaving.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »
Not "so many" ... Brent listed it as a main reason for leaving.

Someone should have brought his attention to these-

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference/rpi/2013-14

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:43:40 PM »
Oklahoma is returning 4 starters from last years team.  Should be a top 20 team when they come to Omaha.  Should be a great test for Creighton.  Before the Big East, the best we could ever muster were 1 for 1 deals with Northwestern and DePaul ::).  Times have changed!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »
Oklahoma is returning 4 starters from last years team.  Should be a top 20 team when they come to Omaha.  Should be a great test for Creighton.  Before the Big East, the best we could ever muster were 1 for 1 deals with Northwestern and DePaul ::).  Times have changed!

Creighton was a fantastic choice to be included. 

I do kind of hope the Big East will look to add two more schools eventually.  In today's college sports world, 10 is basically just a mid-size conference.  So if a two, three, four schools, whatever have down seasons (like this year), it has a much bigger impact on the conference as a whole.  A 12 school conference can compensate when that happens.

I'm not sold totally on which two that should be- off the top of my head, Richmond and Saint Louis I think would be strong choices- they both would strengthen the east coast and Midwest influences for the Big East. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »
We have an away game at Ohio State and a home game against Arizona State next season. Anything else come to mind for bigger non-con games for us?

Edit: Oh, I guess the lineup for the Old Spice Classic, too

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (ACC)
Kansas Jayhawks (Big 12)
Marquette Golden Eagles (Big East)
Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten)
Rhode Island Rams (A 10)
Rider Broncs (MAAC)
Santa Clara Broncos (WCC)
Tennessee Volunteers (SEC)

That's not too bad for next season.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »
You guys will still be playing Nebraska?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
Creighton was a fantastic choice to be included. 

I do kind of hope the Big East will look to add two more schools eventually.  In today's college sports world, 10 is basically just a mid-size conference.  So if a two, three, four schools, whatever have down seasons (like this year), it has a much bigger impact on the conference as a whole.  A 12 school conference can compensate when that happens.

I'm not sold totally on which two that should be- off the top of my head, Richmond and Saint Louis I think would be strong choices- they both would strengthen the east coast and Midwest influences for the Big East. 

Two more teams means two more mouths to feed at the TV revenue table which means a smaller share going to the original teams in the conference unless, of course, the two new teams will bring more eyeballs to FoxSports 1.  Fox wants to grow FS1 badly, so its probably safe to say that when two such teams are available, they will be added. 

After this year, the best of the Majerus recruits will be gone from St. Louis, and we'll begin to see if St. Louis will fall back into its pre-Majerus RPI drag past under Crews.  The jury is definitely still out.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:56 AM »
Two more teams means two more mouths to feed at the TV revenue table which means a smaller share going to the original teams in the conference unless, of course, the two new teams will bring more eyeballs to FoxSports 1.  Fox wants to grow FS1 badly, so its probably safe to say that when two such teams are available, they will be added. 

After this year, the best of the Majerus recruits will be gone from St. Louis, and we'll begin to see if St. Louis will fall back into its pre-Majerus RPI drag past under Crews.  The jury is definitely still out.

SLU graduates all 5 starters....they are gonna be terrible next year...and probably or the forseeable future
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »
You guys will still be playing Nebraska?

Yeah, @Nebraska next year.