[Today at 01:41:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What do you think Jamil Wilson will be doing next year at this time?

Playing in the NBA
Playing in D League
Playing overseas
Out of basketball completely

Author Topic: Poll: Jamil Wilson  (Read 9853 times)

MUSF

• All American
Re: Poll: Jamil Wilson
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »
Buzz certainly did not help Jamil.

I don't think you can put that on Buzz. He has a pretty good track record of developing guys for the NBA. Granted, his sample size is limited, but he's done pretty well so far.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 05:48:20 AM »
I never really believed that someone with a good pedigree, NBA body, NBA talent, good coaching, and a healthy resume could play themselves out of contention simply by being a bonehead, until I watched Jamil Wilson.

He only has an NBA body. All the other stuff was just our wishful thinking. Bonehead part is true.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 11:26:02 AM »
He's not quick enough to create his own shot on offense or guard the perimeter on D. He would need to do both of these effectively, or one exceptionally in the NBA because he isn't big enough to play down low. How many times did you see Jamil take his man off the dribble? Now, how many times did you see him attempt to make a move and then pull up for a jumper?

Also, he doesn't have a good outside shot or adequate ball handling ability. Both of these could be improved, but neither are NBA caliber right now. His lack of quickness can't be improved enough, and that will ultimately keep him out of the league, not his lack of heart, will, or whatever intangible nonsense some have projected on him.

I agree with AC here.  If you erase the Xavier NCAA game from your memory, this could've been used word for word to describe Jimmy after his senior year at Marquette.  While Jimmy's athleticism was underrated at Marquette, Jamil is also a freak athlete.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
I agree with AC here.  If you erase the Xavier NCAA game from your memory, this could've been used word for word to describe Jimmy after his senior year at Marquette.  While Jimmy's athleticism was underrated at Marquette, Jamil is also a freak athlete.

The problem with Jamil was never his physical attributes.    It was the lack of the inner beast.    Nice kid, smart, deferential teammate, guarded all 5 positions defensively, played all 5 positions offensively.   Ultimate glue guy on a team that needed him to be 'the man'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »
I never really believed that someone with a good pedigree, NBA body, NBA talent, good coaching, and a healthy resume could play themselves out of contention simply by being a bonehead, until I watched Jamil Wilson.

When the Season Started Nbadraft.net had Jamil as a Second round pick. (Not that this means anything) but he literally played himself out of the draft.

Most notably when he deferred and passed to D. Wilson for a game winner vs St Johns or Went to the line and went 0 for 2 vs Xavier in the Big east tournament down the stretch.

If it were me id do Overseas or Nothing...... D league pays about 20K a season you can make 10 times that amount tax free overseas.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
When the Season Started Nbadraft.net had Jamil as a Second round pick. (Not that this means anything) but he literally played himself out of the draft.

Most notably when he deferred and passed to D. Wilson for a game winner vs St Johns or Went to the line and went 0 for 2 vs Xavier in the Big east tournament down the stretch.

This would not keep someone with NBA level talent and athletic ability out of the NBA.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 07:29:27 PM »
This would not keep someone with NBA level talent and athletic ability out of the NBA.

He doesnt have NBA level talent........ We cant name 1 thing that he can do that will keep him on an NBA Roster.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
You probably also thought Dominic James would be in the NBA after his senior year too.

And i bet you thought that Butler, Lazar, Novak and Diener wouldn't be.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:29:26 PM by RawdogDX »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:19 PM »
I don't think you can put that on Buzz. He has a pretty good track record of developing guys for the NBA. Granted, his sample size is limited, but he's done pretty well so far.

But you have to hang something on Buzz.

The starters he continued to roll out, the reluctance to go to a younger lineup that pushes the ball (where Jamil flourishes), making plays for Jamil...Buzz definitely had a hand on how to showcase his players' strengths.
SS Marquette

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:49 PM »
But you have to hang something on Buzz.

The starters he continued to roll out, the reluctance to go to a younger lineup that pushes the ball (where Jamil flourishes), making plays for Jamil...Buzz definitely had a hand on how to showcase his players' strengths.

Sure, but I don't think showcasing Jamil would have gotten him into the NBA.

Clearly there are two separate camps on Jamil.

1. Jamil has NBA ability - he simply lacked some intangible qualities and the desire to develop his ability enough to make it to the next level. If you are in this camp, I could see how you might place some blame on Buzz. However, Buzz has proven capable of developing non-blue chip talent into NBA players, so I don't think its fair to place a majority of the blame on his shoulders.

2. Jamil doesn't have NBA ability - unlikely that any level of desire, will, killer instinct, edge, inner beast, could make up for his lack of ability. If you are in this camp, Buzz couldn't have done anything to develop Jamil into an NBA player.

feedback