[Today at 10:45:04 AM]

NCSTATE is evil by tower912
[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 3rd Assistant  (Read 12859 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 3rd Assistant
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »
Larry Brown hired Danny Manning's father as an assistant coach. There were rumblings by other schools but I don't believe any rules were broken.

And Ed (Danny's dad) was a truck driver before he went to Kansas as a package deal with his kid.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
any chance kevin o'neil would want to join the fun?

When Kevin O'neil joins something it automatically becomes less fun.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
If Wojo wants to keep Wainwright for a year could be as DBO or a  special assistant.  No idea what the limitations on a special assistant are.

Absolutely no soul stealing allowed.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
You can hire a recruit ' dad if the dad gets an AC job.  Can hire the dad to bury him at video coordinator or DBO, etc.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 10:30:14 PM »
I didn't want to start a brand new thread, and I'm sure I'll be dismissed by some because I don't have 10K posts, but on the topic of assistant coaches, I saw Brad Autry tonight at the now 7/11 on campus.  I've always seemed to run into Coach Autry the last couple years there as he's always grabbing some monstrous fountain soda, and he was the one who gave me a student managing opportunity my freshman year, so we know one another.

But I saw him there tonight and said the usual "hey, how's it going" type stuff before I decided to ask "So are you headed to Blacksburg?".  And he responded with an immediate "unnatural carnal knowledge no, absolutely not."  I was shocked at how candid he ended up being and we talked for a good five minutes there.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it definitely confirmed a lot of what has been said here the past couple weeks.  He said he spent Tuesday and Wednesday of that week trying to convince Buzz to stay and that they had a great thing going here.  But all Buzz would give him in return was a simple "I want a new challenge."  Autry didn't hold any grudges or have any sort of animosity toward Buzz (kept saying that it was the nature of the business) but he said he kept telling him "I'm just not seeing it, man.  That's a dead-end job and you know it."

Said that the rifts with the AD weren't as bad as people made it out to be but that it was a "smaller factor".  Another thing that was interesting to me was that he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "as a coach, when you leave for something new, you want the administration to be pissed that you're leaving them, but that wasn't really the case here and that's unfortunate."  I asked how he felt about Wojo and he said we would love him here.  That he was incredibly genuine and passionate and it showed within the department already.  Then he said he was really disappointed he didn't get the head job himself (I never even thought he was considered but apparently he was under the impression he had a good chance), but that Wojo wanted it just as much as that he would do great things.  The last thing he said was that he thought the '13 and '14 classes were going to be spectacular (even said he was more excited for the '14 class than the '13 class which surprised me).  Forgot to ask about Ahmed Hill and a couple other things but I didn't want to keep him there all night.  Anyway, it's nothing that hasn't been discussed here but I thought it was interesting to get Buzz's right-hand man's take on things.  Here's hoping for bigger and better things from Coach Wojo.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »
Nice post.  Thanks for the great write-up.  Did you happen to ask what's next for him?  Doesn't sound as though he will be on our coaching staff.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:33 PM »
Real interesting conversation. We know VT cant pay Chew what we payed him, Jerry isnt going to Blacksburg anytime soon and now Autry isnt even leaving. Sounds like Brent dug himself quite the hole.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
Nice post.  Thanks for the great write-up.  Did you happen to ask what's next for him?  Doesn't sound as though he will be on our coaching staff.

I did ask him but he said he didn't want to name any particular schools that contacted him and that he wasn't close to deciding on what to do next.  Just told me he loved it here (not gonna be on the new staff and it didn't sound like Chew and Reynolds were headed to VT) and that he would be praying for it and I wished him luck.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 11:54:10 PM »
Nice post.  Thanks for the great write-up.  Did you happen to ask what's next for him?  Doesn't sound as though he will be on our coaching staff.

I think its surprising that Brent has not named any assistants.  He left March 22 so its been almost a month.  

Yes, by not hiring his assistants they can recruit signed players as they are "free agents."  But here again, it's been almost a month.  The signing date reopens Wednesday (April 16) so this process is going to FINISH really fast.  Recruits are going to announce and then sign as starting Wednesday.  

Same with Pierce, Hill, Harris and Shayok.  Unsigned players will start signing on Wednesday and spots will get taken.  Pierce and Hill better decide to stay at MU or ask for a release quickly.  Shayok and Harris better decide what they want to do quickly.

What I'm trying to say is I don't think Brent is the evil genius mastermind by keeping his assistants "unhired' so they can contact signed players (MU recruits).  Rather I'm coming around to the idea that Brent is having a hard time finding guys that want to run to Blacksburg to be an assistant on a last place team for a guy that made a really stupid decision to go there.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
I think its surprising that Brent has not named any assistants.  He left March 22 so its been almost a month.  

Rather I'm coming around to the idea that Brent is having a hard time finding guys that want to run to Blacksburg to be an assistant on a last place team for a guy that made a really stupid decision to go there.

Bert may be an idiot but he's not stupid. Far from it. And while Fr. Davitt taught us that ethical standards are absolute some people will replay, "depends."

People will give their left testicle to coach in the ACC. They'll even work for an autistic buffoon for the opportunity.

Death on call

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
I didn't want to start a brand new thread, and I'm sure I'll be dismissed by some because I don't have 10K posts, but on the topic of assistant coaches, I saw Brad Autry tonight at the now 7/11 on campus.  I've always seemed to run into Coach Autry the last couple years there as he's always grabbing some monstrous fountain soda, and he was the one who gave me a student managing opportunity my freshman year, so we know one another.

But I saw him there tonight and said the usual "hey, how's it going" type stuff before I decided to ask "So are you headed to Blacksburg?".  And he responded with an immediate "unnatural carnal knowledge no, absolutely not."  I was shocked at how candid he ended up being and we talked for a good five minutes there.  Nothing groundbreaking, but it definitely confirmed a lot of what has been said here the past couple weeks.  He said he spent Tuesday and Wednesday of that week trying to convince Buzz to stay and that they had a great thing going here.  But all Buzz would give him in return was a simple "I want a new challenge."  Autry didn't hold any grudges or have any sort of animosity toward Buzz (kept saying that it was the nature of the business) but he said he kept telling him "I'm just not seeing it, man.  That's a dead-end job and you know it."

Said that the rifts with the AD weren't as bad as people made it out to be but that it was a "smaller factor".  Another thing that was interesting to me was that he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "as a coach, when you leave for something new, you want the administration to be pissed that you're leaving them, but that wasn't really the case here and that's unfortunate."  I asked how he felt about Wojo and he said we would love him here.  That he was incredibly genuine and passionate and it showed within the department already.  Then he said he was really disappointed he didn't get the head job himself (I never even thought he was considered but apparently he was under the impression he had a good chance), but that Wojo wanted it just as much as that he would do great things.  The last thing he said was that he thought the '13 and '14 classes were going to be spectacular (even said he was more excited for the '14 class than the '13 class which surprised me).  Forgot to ask about Ahmed Hill and a couple other things but I didn't want to keep him there all night.  Anyway, it's nothing that hasn't been discussed here but I thought it was interesting to get Buzz's right-hand man's take on things.  Here's hoping for bigger and better things from Coach Wojo.

Very informative.  Thanks for this post

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
Real interesting conversation. We know VT cant pay Chew what we payed him, Jerry isnt going to Blacksburg anytime soon and now Autry isnt even leaving. Sounds like Brent dug himself quite the hole.
Yes, they can pay Chew.  It'll result in a lower salary for Buzz. Done all the time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
Yes, they can pay Chew.  It'll result in a lower salary for Buzz. Done all the time.

So Buzz takes a paycut to go to VT and another paycut to hire Chew?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2014, 11:13:47 AM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/416918-despite-report-hills-not-interested?eref=sihp

Hill doesn't want the Detroit front office job because he's coming to be Wojo's 3rd assistant, right?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 05:12:02 PM »

If you believe this rumor, then " unnatural carnal knowledgeing Absolutely Not" has changed.

http://fightinggobbler.com/2014/04/21/buzz-williams-continues-adding-virginia-tech-coaching-staff/

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 05:37:19 PM »
Brents new book "How to Poach for Dummies" is available now in bookstores, Section 1 Quiet as its kept 2 Money and the Bible
3 Let your mouthpiece be the dummy.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »
If you believe this rumor, then " unnatural carnal knowledgeing Absolutely Not" has changed.

http://fightinggobbler.com/2014/04/21/buzz-williams-continues-adding-virginia-tech-coaching-staff/

Well, let's evaluate the rumor monger.

In the article it says:

"...Buzz Williams was able to add one of his top assistants at Marquette to his Virginia Tech staff as Isaac Chew left to join Buzz Williams... 
...rumors have suggested that the addition of Brad Autry is coming. Like Isaac Chew, Brad Autry was one of Buzz Williams’s top assistants at Marquette and it is expected that Autry will end up following Williams to Virginia Tech...
...I would expect Buzz Williams to add a couple more coaches that are very familiar with the Mid-Atlantic recruiting territory so expect more news to come over the next few weeks..."

a) Buzz has added Chew (1 AC)
  b) Buzz will likely add Autry (2 ACs)
  c) expect Buzz to add a couple more coaches (3 & 4 ACs)

So this guy thinks that in a ACC, they get four assistant coaches for men's basketball?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
Well, let's evaluate the rumor monger.

In the article it says:

"...Buzz Williams was able to add one of his top assistants at Marquette to his Virginia Tech staff as Isaac Chew left to join Buzz Williams... 
...rumors have suggested that the addition of Brad Autry is coming. Like Isaac Chew, Brad Autry was one of Buzz Williams’s top assistants at Marquette and it is expected that Autry will end up following Williams to Virginia Tech...
...I would expect Buzz Williams to add a couple more coaches that are very familiar with the Mid-Atlantic recruiting territory so expect more news to come over the next few weeks..."

a) Buzz has added Chew (1 AC)
  b) Buzz will likely add Autry (2 ACs)
  c) expect Buzz to add a couple more coaches (3 & 4 ACs)

So this guy thinks that in a ACC, they get four assistant coaches for men's basketball?

Perhaps they are alluding to Video Coordinator, etc...not official coaches, but on the staff in some capacity.

Buzz went after Johnson at IU as well.  He turned them down, ultimately became a bidding war between Louisville and Maryland and once he was given the #1 spot at Louisville, #donedeal.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
Perhaps they are alluding to Video Coordinator, etc...not official coaches, but on the staff in some capacity.

Buzz went after Johnson at IU as well.  He turned them down, ultimately became a bidding war between Louisville and Maryland and once he was given the #1 spot at Louisville, #donedeal.

Did we get into a "bidding war" over Chew?
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »
Did we get into a "bidding war" over Chew?

Uhm, no.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »

Well crap, consider me shocked to hear this. He seemed completely adamant that he was staying away from Blacksburg but maybe it was one of the only big-conference gigs he was offered. Or maybe he was just bullcrapting me the entire way, wouldn't surprise me seeing who he would be joining.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »
We need an Assistant who has a name and can recruit. So far I don't see that. Has Carrawell ever recruited
college talent and Phelps from of all places Drake. You don't get any talent or win at Drake. Never heard of
the dude. WE NEED A LIGHTS OUT RECRUITER. It's been hush, hush for awhile and we lost out recruiting
class. (2014).  Cohen and that's it. Lost Hill and Shayok. Come on Wojo, we can use a little help.
Let's get out there and do your thing. Hopefully Carlino and a PLUS BIG MAN for this year.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »
Our High School has a bigger team than you.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
Here's what we know about Phelps:

"Phelps also landed three players from the neighboring state of Illinois during his time at Drake, including guard Rayvonte Rice, who averaged 15.4 points per game in two seasons before he transferred to Illinois in April 2012.

“We recruited Illinois hard,” Phelps said. “I have good contacts there and I’m excited about jumping back into Illinois. In Chicago, there are some tremendous players so we want to take advantage of that.”

Perhaps the most well-known recruit that Phelps says he helped land is swingman Julius Hodge, New York’s “Mr. Basketball” for 2000-01 who went on to become the ACC’s player of the year in 2004 and N.C. State’s third leading-scorer of all-time. Phelps noted that Hodge, who is from Harlem, went to St. Raymond, the same high school that produced incoming freshman point guard Shane Rector."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/19/4301925/interview-with-new-missouri-basketball.html#storylink=cpy
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
What happened to Dino Trogonis becoming an assistant?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43653.0

feedback