[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Memories Vol. II - Favorite Game Attended (In Person)  (Read 15378 times)

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Marquette Memories Vol. II - Favorite Game Attended (In Person)
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:35 AM »
Some games in Madison are up there for me.. oddly (?) one of my favorites was the win over South Florida in the '94 NIT at the MECCA.

Yes... winning that game lead us to the NIT semi-finals in MSG.  The team doing the "can-can" to "New York New York" at the end of the game was absolutely classic.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2014, 06:08:46 AM »
One of my more memorable games has to be MU vs. WVU when we had multiple players sit in the first half and Jae just absolutely took over after being down by a pretty good margin.

Bruzz proceeded to dance on the floor. We left ASAP and snuck out of there so as not to get jumped by some unruly fans.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2014, 07:14:29 AM »
jsglow

My sophmore year as well with Doc. That was unreal game.

My sophomore year as well!  Came back from Christmas break early to watch the game, with my future wife and her little brother (who at the time was a big ND fan but ended up at MU).  That's the best game I've seen live.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »
Nobody else has mentioned this one.

Beating UK in Tampa, 1994.  Thrashed them.  They were never in the game.  Tony Miller beat their press time after time.

Really loved the Doc game in 1981, beating TryPuker and the Domers.  That was a very easy team to hate.  Tripucka, Flowers, and the most unlikeable Domer ever, Bill Laimbeer.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2014, 07:51:18 AM »
mu-rara

The UK bashing in Tampa was great game. Was there with my then 7 year old son and parents and great weekend across the board.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2014, 08:44:25 AM »
Nobody else has mentioned this one.

Beating UK in Tampa, 1994.  Thrashed them.  They were never in the game.  Tony Miller beat their press time after time.

Really loved the Doc game in 1981, beating TryPuker and the Domers.  That was a very easy team to hate.  Tripucka, Flowers, and the most unlikeable Domer ever, Bill Laimbeer.
Ah yes, I was at that No Dick game. Rivers shot was just across the half court line as I recall. Any time ND goes down is sweet!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
Elite Game against Kentucky in Minneapolis to get to the Final Four led by D-Wade's triple double.  The whole weekend was great but that game was so emotional, noticed a lot of people in tears afterwards.   

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
mu-rara

The UK bashing in Tampa was great game. Was there with my then 7 year old son and parents and great weekend across the board.

Best road trip ever.  6 college buds, beer, golf, spring training baseball, MU hoops, beating UK.  Did I say beer?

We watched the Tournament selection show together, and told our wives how disappointed we were that MU didn't receive a game closer to home.  They weren't buying it.

My daughter was only 2 at the time.  She has become a big MU fan since then.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2014, 11:17:06 AM »
Easily 2003 over Kentucky in Minneapolis.  Not even close.

Top 3 regular season games in order:
1) At UW-Madison in 2007.  Didn't tell any of our Madison friends we would be there.  Sat 10th row in the middle of the student section.  Had a huge sign with a picture of Bryan Butch in a bikini top saying 03 McD's AA, 08 McD's employee.  Game was already won, but Dominic ended it with a massive block just towering over their point guard.  Lazar ran from the other end of the court and pointed to the 3 of us wearing yellow.  Their fans were not happy with us.  Ran across their campus, slipped into our friends' dorm, and showed up at their door.  They were not happy either.
2) Novak's shot to beat ND.
3) First BE game, smoking #2 UCONN.
HM) Dameon Mason's and 1 to beat Louisville.

Best overall weekend, Lexington last year (2013).  Win on a miracle comeback over Davidson, then watched about as good of a game as I can remember seeing with both teams playing really well against Butler.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2014, 01:34:40 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XczEPQBV6os" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XczEPQBV6os</a>

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
Masons and 1 to best Louisville in 04 takes it for me.  I remember Diener fouled out on some garbage call and the fans were ready to burn the refs at the stake. And then that unreal feeling when I saw masons shot go in and heard the foul call at the same time.

Still get goosebumps thinking about that feeling.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »
Masons and 1 to best Louisville in 04 takes it for me.  I remember Diener fouled out on some garbage call and the fans were ready to burn the refs at the stake. And then that unreal feeling when I saw masons shot go in and heard the foul call at the same time.

They had to hold us back from rushing the court while they put about .6 back on the clock and let Mason make his free throw.  We still rushed after the failed Louisville inbounds play.

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
They had to hold us back from rushing the court while they put about .6 back on the clock and let Mason make his free throw.  We still rushed after the failed Louisville inbounds play.
That made it all the better.  I had seats on the opposite side of the band so i had a great view of you guys.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2014, 07:33:23 AM »
The best game I ever attended live? Well, it was beating Notre Dame at the Bradley Center in 2006. I've never heard the building that loud and I don't know if I ever will again.

But in advance of the 2012-13 schedule coming out, my college friends and I realized that there would be no road game at DePaul, no road game at ND, and no road game at Madison. We try to go on at least one MU road trip a year, and the next closest away trip was either Louisville or Cincinnati, but at that point, we figured if we were going to travel 6+ hours to the game, let's at least go somewhere fun.

Fortunately the schedule came out and the game at St. John's was on a Saturday afternoon on the last day of the season. I'm the guy in gold running down the aisle barrelling into my friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueC94fs6DuU
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:38:43 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2014, 08:59:13 AM »
Was at the Mecca when UNC came to town. MU came heartbreakingly close to pulling out a win. Not my favorite game...but certainly the most memorable.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »
I had the misfortune of going to MU during its basketball Nadir.    Saw David Rivers make the game winner, not Doc.   Was at the UNC game, the ND game where Dolan (?) made the last second tip in, watched Rod Strickland laugh at Anthony Candelino trying to guard him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
The best game I ever attended live? Well, it was beating Notre Dame at the Bradley Center in 2006. I've never heard the building that loud and I don't know if I ever will again.

But in advance of the 2012-13 schedule coming out, my college friends and I realized that there would be no road game at DePaul, no road game at ND, and no road game at Madison. We try to go on at least one MU road trip a year, and the next closest away trip was either Louisville or Cincinnati, but at that point, we figured if we were going to travel 6+ hours to the game, let's at least go somewhere fun.

Fortunately the schedule came out and the game at St. John's was on a Saturday afternoon on the last day of the season. I'm the guy in gold running down the aisle barrelling into my friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueC94fs6DuU

How were the Johnnie's fans?  Did they give you a hard time?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
You guys have mentioned some great ones.  I have one that is a favorite for more personal reasons.

The 2012 home game against Georgetown was Accepted Students Day.  jsglow jr. brought along a friend of his from high school, Tyler, who had also gotten accepted at MU.  He was a truly brilliant kid whose parents were of rather limited means.  He was accepted into several other prestigious schools, but we were putting on the Warriors hard sell.

We parked near campus and walked towards the BC.  We happened to be following a group of male students who chanted "We're not that drunk!" all the way there.  Tyler's reaction?  "This is awesome!"

We took the boys into the Courtside Club for lunch, and then lined up to high-five the team as they ran onto the court.  As we walked out into the arena, around the court past the band and the student section, he was in awe.

As you may recall, this was the first time the student section tried the "I believe that we will win" cheer, and with the team's help, pulled it off brilliantly. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3AF2ki9Y4rs?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3AF2ki9Y4rs?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; width=&quot;560&quot; height=&quot;315&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot;&gt;&lt;/embed&gt;&lt;/object&gt;</a>

We wound up with great victory that day.  Tyler was sold.

This game was one of my favorites because I think sometimes I take for granted how awesome it is to be a Marquette basketball fan, and I got a chance to see it through new eyes.

Unfortunately, Tyler's family couldn't make the numbers work to send him, and he wound up at community college.  I am still hoping he can transfer in; unfortunately, the scholarship aid for transfer students at Marquette completely sucks.
Have some patience, FFS.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2014, 08:05:05 PM »
Notre dame at Marquette January 2008. Boys won by 30 led by James McNeal and Matthews. I remember espn saying later that day that if Marquette played that well every game they could beat absolutely anyone. Obviously didn't work that way as that was the year they lost to Stanford in the round of 32, but what a game it was.
The game was savory but the following sequence of events leading up to this made it even better.

I had a business meeting at the Hyatt in Chicago the week before that game.  It was probably Wednesday when I saw Brey, Harangody, and Zeller in the hallway between our meeting room and the room next door where they were meeting.  I mentioned that I was looking forward to the game in Milwaukee on Saturday.  I can't remember what the exchange was but I do recall that I said I was looking forward to an MU victory.

This was between the DePaul and MU games and the room was being set up Thursday afternoon for what appeared to be a dinner with alumni or boosters.  They had tables set up with a bar and a podium at the front of the room with a flip chart off to the side.  I wandered in there later in the evening after our meeting.  On the second page of the flip chart I took a blue marker and wrote "Go Marquette!" and covered it back to the first page.  I don[t know the outcome but hopefully that was a nice turd in the punchbowl.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2014, 08:15:13 PM »

I was at home (Cali) and lost my voice after hearing Homer call that moment!

I got light headed just be jumping around so much and screaming at the tops of my lungs. What a feeling.
SS Marquette