[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Memories Vol. II - Favorite Game Attended (In Person)  (Read 15379 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Marquette Memories Vol. II - Favorite Game Attended (In Person)
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »
MU vs Cuse 2009 senior day for the big three we ended up losing in OT but damn it was an intense game and to this day I've never seen the Bradley center that full.
Maigh Eo for Sam

connie

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 04:35:26 PM »
Easy.  MU v. Kentucky, Regional Final.  Minneapolis, 2003.  Even stayed in the KU Hotel.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »
January of my Freshman year Rivers half court  buzzer beater against ND

This was my favorite game too.

#2, beating Pitt in Mpls
#3, beating UK in Mpls

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 05:31:39 PM »
Snapping Bucky's 28-game winning streak at the Kohl in December '07.  For every Badger fan who berated me with profanities on their way out, I just smiled, pointed to the scoreboard and said, "Remember that time you didn't win 29 home games in a row?"

MauraDay

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 05:32:34 PM »
1. Marquette vs. Louisville @ UL 2003 - Down by 18 to come back and win in a sea of red
2. Marquette vs. Missouri (OT) 2003 in Indy 2nd round of tournament
3. Marquette vs. #2 Cincy 2/10/99 - upset Cincy, my only court storm, and my birthday
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:36:25 PM by MauraDay »

brandx

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »
1. Marquette vs. Louisville @ UL 2003 - Down by 18 to come back and win in a sea of red
2. Marquette vs. Missouri (OT) 2003 in Indy 2nd round of tournament

Back in '68, I believe. My dad took me to the old Arena to see Pete Maravich. Became a huge MU and George Thompson fan that night.

Pistol would have averaged over 50 pts. a game if there was a three point shot back then. One of only 4 can players I remember where people were on their feet every time they had the ball (Connie Hawkins, young Doctor J, and a young Michael being the other 3).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 05:45:31 PM »
Novak ND Game hands down. I'll repost this:

It was the night of January 20th, 2006.

It was only a few hours after Steve Novak dropped the game winning three-pointer with 1.3 seconds left against Notre Dame.

It was 17 hours after PTM and a group of Schroedor Hall residents starting drinking that morning.

The Morning
In lieu of the standard PTM big gameday morning of strapping on a faux beer belly filled with assorted alcoholic spirits and standing in line at the Bradley Center all day long for seats in Section 106, I had decided to join some friends in early morning drinking.

We opened up with kegs & eggs at a Renee Row courtyard apartment until the early afternoon. While enjoyable we spent the majority of the time chasing freshmen and other unwanteds away from the patio that was being heated with an industrial heater. After tapping out the third barrel of Lite we moved onto Jim Hegarty's for lunch. Things get a little blurry after this....Jim's Timeout was involved....and Buck Bradley's....and maybe Duke's....maybe.

The Game

Completely inebriated. I remember two things. The first being the Steve Novak shot and Mike Kinsella owning Torin Francis. I spent the majority of the time after the game declaring that junior Mike Kinsella had arrived, even though #20's shot was the true story. I remember a foggy, but extremely spirited walk back to campus after the night game.

The Residence Hall

As a sophomore I resided in Mashuda with fellow Top 10 Scoop poster, TallTitan34. After supposedly alienating our third resident into moving out of our room at Winter Break, we had the triple sized room to ourselves that was completely altered into different levels and a mega bunk bed. Completely irrelavant to the story, but levels, Jerry, levels.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aQyXeLSL0II" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aQyXeLSL0II</a>

After the game, we ended up back in Schroedor to dabble in some after game spirits. As you all likely know, Schroedor has a turnstyle system that is guarded by the Desk Receptionist. Being a Mashuda residence, I had to get checked in.

After a bit of time in a room, the Night Duty RAs knocked on the door. We weren't attracting attention, but whatever that's a different topic as we were profiled.

The two RAs came into the room, and asked for all the of non-Schroedor residents to leave. Myself and another then left the room and went down a couple floors to hang out with another resident. We only half-thought at the time that the RAs just wanted us to step outside the room, not leave entirely.

We spent a good 20-30 minutes in another friend's room before word starting getting to us that DPS had entirely shut down all admittance and departures from the building. Additionally, all of the elevators were brought down to the first floor and locked there.

After trying to strategize a way out, we decided we were pretty much boned. The desk receptionist had us checked in under the resident who got busted and they had our MU IDs, even an escape would land us in additional trouble.

We took the stairs down to the lobby, walked up to the DPS officer manning the desk and said we needed to check out, but we couldn't find our resident that checked us in. He was already holding our IDs and three officers then proceeded to take us in the back where the Hall offices were. The entire little holding area in-between the turnstyles and elevator was shoulder to shoulder, and the lines to get into the building were out both entrances.

DPS takes us into the back room and the RAs from the bust join them. After a spirited discussion about the RAs use of the words "non-Schroder residents leave the room", they RAs left to continue Night Duty. The three DPS officers were somewhat humorous. I asked what kind of punishment we were looking at. The older DPS officer of the three responded with, "I don't know, son. I've never had to do this, but I would have done the same thing if those peppy RAs pricks said to leave the room. However, you're facing the Residence Life Office, so you're probably unnatural carnal knowledgeed."

The Aftermath

Previously, I had already been punished for two alcohol related offenses in Mashuda. The following day was filled with panic stricken hand wringing as the Student Conduct board had informed me that my third offense would result in my expulsion from all residence halls.

A couple weeks later, I received a letter which basically stated I was not allowed in Schroedor Hall for the remainder of my time on campus. I never tried to go back, so I'm not sure how that would have been enforced.

After receiving the letter, I called DPS asking to talk to the older officer that night since I was expecting certain doom after this incident. The officer called me back several days later and explained he reported that the RAs should have been more direct in talking to us and he thought they were lying when they spoke to DPS officers about what they said trying to cover up their mistake. I later found out the two RAs received disciplinary action for lying to DPS officers as well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
MU v Kentucky, 2003 Elite 8.

I nearly fell out of the stands when Wade had that dunk
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »
#1:  December 16, 1995.

MU beats #22 Santa Clara and Steve Nash.
Why is it my fave?
1) MU won
2) A ranked team with a future HOFer lost
3) The most important...my only MU game in the MECCA.
4) Eford had a game-high 21 points. (Ok. I had to look it up: http://articles.latimes.com/1995-12-17/sports/sp-15066_1_santa-clara )

#2:  Any home win vs a ranked Cincy squad. I hated the (T)Huggies!

SS Marquette

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 07:29:06 PM »
The 1977 NCAA Semi Final against UNC-Charlotte and Cornbread Maxwell.
MU owns the first half, loses much of the second.
Game tied with almost no time left, Al calls time. MU to in bound at the other end.
Butch launches a pass to the other end that Bo and Cornbread both touch but ending in Whitehead's hands who immediately goes to the basket for a lay-in as clock goes to zero.
Did it count? No call.
Ref's, Al, players and various hangers-on go to the scorer's table.
We all wait for what seems like eternity.
Prayers from all the MU faithful.
Prayers answered as Al raises his hands to heaven.
We all go nuts for what seems like eternity.           

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
4ever

What is your favorite game played in Milwaukee? I mentioned Luke beating Bucky and u thi k the game against Russia are my top two. Curious on what you think.

So many really.

vs Minnesota with Thompson, Behagen, and Winfield
vs ND and Doc's shot
vs UW and Luke's shot
vs Jacksonville as #22's last game
vs South Carolina with Dunleavy
vs UNLV
vs UNC
vs DePaul with Aguirre, Dillard, Grubbs, Cummings
vs any Milwaukee Classic Championship game
vs any Big Ten team
vs any nationally televised game
vs any of the home winnin' streak

I always came to watch the Warriors. Opponents never mattered to me.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »
4ever can attest to this, and his post reminded me of same.  From 1972-sometime in the 80's, the Warriors vs. Gamecock games were legendary.  In '72 Bob Lackey and some guy I can't recall for SC got into a pretty nasty brawl.  Both were ejected.  Marquette won by a point. The annual battle of the McGuires, though Frank and Al were no relation.
Ludum habemus.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:48 PM »
Two-way tie. 96 at UL. Hutch for 3. 98 at UL. Wardle for 3.
GO WARRIORS!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
Cincy 2002.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »
1) The National Championship. Not until Coach Wojo hangs a second one there will anything match that.

2) November 1975 -- The Russians. This was the Olympic team that stole the gold medal just three years before. We sent them to basketball Siberia with this game. It wasn't close despite the fact we were playing International Rules. It was the night we knew we had something very special.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »
Marquette's first Big East home game against UConn.  Everyone picked us to finish at the bottom, I think UConn was ranked, they came into our place and Novak went crazy hitting numerous threes and we beat them.  Bradley center was louder than I've ever heard it.  Calhoun commented afterwards what a great crowd and atmosphere Marquette had at home. 

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 11:41:49 PM »
This

A lot of great games to choose from, but March 29, 2003 wins out for me. Being at the Metrodome to see MU beat Kentucky was the best. Outside of watching them win a National Championship, I don't know if it will ever be topped.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2014, 06:53:09 AM »
Marquette's first Big East home game against UConn.  Everyone picked us to finish at the bottom, I think UConn was ranked, they came into our place and Novak went crazy hitting numerous threes and we beat them.  Bradley center was louder than I've ever heard it.  Calhoun commented afterwards what a great crowd and atmosphere Marquette had at home. 

Unconn was #2

Milwarriorkee

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »
2013: MU vs. Butler at Rupp Arena. Great game, great seats.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 08:01:42 AM »
Jan 20th 2014....

Marquette beats Georgetown.... John Dawson and Steve Taylor rise to the challenge.... In a much needed win....... backs were against the wall and we won... Glad I was there....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:04:56 AM by Nevada233 »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2014, 08:10:39 AM »
4ever can attest to this, and his post reminded me of same.  From 1972-sometime in the 80's, the Warriors vs. Gamecock games were legendary.  In '72 Bob Lackey and some guy I can't recall for SC got into a pretty nasty brawl.  Both were ejected.  Marquette won by a point. The annual battle of the McGuires, though Frank and Al were no relation.

You guys forgot the best MU game in the 60's, the victory over Kentucky at the Old Fieldhouse in Madison.  The old south, all white, Issel, Pratt, Casey vs. George, Dean, Joe Thomas, Ric
Cobb and Jeff Sewell.  In the crowd that night, the Kentucky fans were inciting the crowd by waving confederate flags, the crowd was nuts.  To bad, the next game they lost in overtime to
Purdue and Rick Mount.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2014, 08:18:27 AM »
BC Hoopster

That was a great game. Unfortunately, while I did attend, my memory of game is short. I think I was 5 or 6 at the time, but did remember the moment.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2014, 08:19:06 AM »
Too bad, the next game they lost in overtime to Purdue and Rick Mount.

Especially since we were down by one at the end of regulation and had two free throws. We hit one to take it into overtime, but missed the other that would have won it.

Mount hit like a 22 footer with three seconds left. Much as I hate to say it now, Purdue's Rick Mount was a great ballplayer in his time.

That UK game was special. Our guys were tough and not willing to take the crap the UK fans handed out. Adolph, you're still an ass!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »

vs South Carolina with Dunleavy

I believe this was the one in 1973 where we had one of the nastiest brawls ever. That's what I liked about McGuire's teams. No crap from no one!

Bob Lackey et al wouldn't take it any more. Those Carolina finness players didn't know what hit them.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
Wonderful thread.

I'm going to answer this with one from each era of my life so far.

1) The ORIGINAL Midnight Madness exhibition against the dreaded Russian team at the Arena in 1975.  For those that don't recall, Al scheduled the game at the stroke of midnight so MU would be in compliance with NCAA regulations not to begin play too early on the calendar.  It was Halloween weekend and all the students were in full party mode.  I was 14 years old and attended with my dad.  Decided that night where I wanted to go to school.

2) Doc from half court against ND my Sophomore year.

3) Davidson 2013. Perhaps the most emotional and joyous 2 minutes of my life as it pertains to MU hoops for reasons I didn't share in Lexington with the exception of one close friend.  You see, exactly 24 hours before the Davidson tip-off I had gotten the dreaded cancer diagnosis following some tests.  Funny, nurses never give you bad news.  It's always the doctor herself.  Anyway, I drove to Lexington alone Wednesday afternoon with a very heavy heart as chick couldn't come down until Friday.  Then magically, for a little while Thursday afternoon at least, MU hoops allowed me to forget.  

By the way, I've kicked it in the ass and won so far.