[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WSJ: John Calipari: NCAA Is Crumbling Like the Soviet Union  (Read 39102 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
WSJ: John Calipari: NCAA Is Crumbling Like the Soviet Union
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
Has NCAA President Vladimir Putin commented on this?

Kentucky's John Calipari: NCAA Is Crumbling Like the Soviet Union
Wildcats Coach Outlines Plan for Helping College Athletes in New Book

The Wall Street Journal
April 8, 2014
by Ben Cohen

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303847804579479863693200386?KEYWORDS=calipari&mg=reno64-wsj

ARLINGTON, Texas—Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari likens the NCAA to a dying superpower and believes the college-sports governing body faces extinction unless it embraces reform.

"The situation reminds me a little of the Soviet Union in its last years," Calipari writes in a forthcoming book. "It was still powerful. It could still hurt you. But you could see it crumbling, and it was just a matter of time before it either changed or ceased to exist."

Calipari, whose Kentucky team lost to Connecticut in college basketball's national-championship game Monday night, is the latest prominent figure to join the chorus of critics who argue that the NCAA takes unfair advantage of athletes. The organization is currently facing a possible trial in June in a case regarding athlete compensation. Earlier this month, a National Labor Relations Board ruling designated Northwestern's scholarship football players as employees and awarded them the right to unionize.

Calipari's book, "Players First: Coaching From the Inside Out" (Penguin Press) will be published on April 15. In it, Calipari—a frequent critic of the NCAA who has had previous wins vacated for player-eligibility violations—outlines a 13-point plan for improving the experience of big-time college athletes in a chapter called "At War? Common Sense Versus the NCAA." Calipari accuses the NCAA of selectively enforcing its own rules and hints at a future when college sports are governed by "super-conferences" instead of the NCAA. "I believe the tide is turning," he writes. "The NCAA will soon have to reform itself or it will not remain the dominant force in college athletics."

In a news conference Sunday, NCAA president Mark Emmert said he agreed his organization needed to change and said he was encouraged by some recent initiatives meant to increase athlete rights and include them in the NCAA's legislative process. "There are things that need to get fixed," he said. But Emmert shot down many of the most radical ideas—including players forming unions.

NCAA officials declined to comment beyond what Emmert said on Sunday, a spokeswoman said Tuesday morning.

Among Calipari's suggestions for enhancing the life of college athletes is one that other high-profile coaches have recommended: a $3,000 to $5,000 stipend for players to cover the full cost of attending a university. So far, this policy shift has been voted down by smaller schools. Big 12 Conference commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Sunday the NCAA should consider redefining scholarships, "but the devil's in the details of that," he said. "It's not as easy to do as it may seem, even if we're willing, and we certainly are willing."

Calipari also lobbies for the NCAA to cover eligible players' insurance premiums and allow college athletes to accept loans against future earnings up to $50,000. Such a benefit currently violates the NCAA's amateurism rules.

Many of Calipari's recommendations reflect the growing movement to expand athlete rights. If a coach leaves his team, Calipari says, players should be permitted to transfer without sitting out for one season, as NCAA rules currently require. In addition, Calipari urges the NCAA to allow players the money for one round-trip flight home every year, access to lawyers and funds for formal attire to wear when representing the school.

Calipari has a history of run-ins with the NCAA. His teams at the University of Massachusetts and the University of Memphis, where he coached before taking the Kentucky job in 2009, had Final Four trips vacated for eligibility violations. In 2011, when Kentucky celebrated Calipari's 500th career win, the NCAA objected on the grounds that some of his previous wins had been vacated. In the book, Calipari acknowledges that he has been cast as a "black hat." He says the NCAA has rejected his suggestions on several fronts, such as changing eligibility rules to prevent "one-and-done" players in college basketball.

"I think we could have gotten somewhere with me as the point man, but the NCAA was not interested in my help," he writes. "The message I got, between the lines, was, 'No, not you. Not Calipari. We don't want him involved.'"

As part of his plan, Calipari calls for an overhaul of the organization's oversight. He advocates for the NCAA to shift its compliance and enforcement offices to the conference level or form a separate body with subpoena power, which the NCAA lacks, and asks that its investigations be handled anonymously.

Currently, the NCAA's regulations are so wide-ranging that they include when and how much schools can feed athletes—the sort of control that Calipari says should be shifted to universities. "Is the NCAA afraid we're going to make them fat? Give them too much ice cream and chocolate cake?" he writes. "The whole thing really defies sanity."

Calipari's other proposals are part of what he calls a "common sense" initiative. He would let families purchase championship rings and stay in the same hotels as players during events like the NCAA tournament. He also requests an NCAA exemption to give his players Christmas gifts that cost less than $50.

Calipari's proposals come as the NCAA is sorting out the ramifications of a decision by a regional director of the NLRB who ruled that Northwestern's scholarship football players were employees of the school and had the right to unionize. While it's not clear whether a union will form or what it would ask for, the ruling could upend the current structure of college sports. Northwestern's players are scheduled to vote on forming a union on April 25, and the school plans to appeal the decision to the NLRB's national board. Legal experts caution the case could spend years in litigation. Even if the ruling is upheld, its scope is narrow and pertains only to private universities, since public schools are exempt from federal labor laws.

Emmert sharply criticized the ruling Sunday, saying a union was a "grossly inappropriate solution" that would "blow up everything about the collegiate model of athletics."

The NCAA's control of college sports is under attack in the courts, too. An antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA brought by former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon, certified as a class action, is scheduled for a June trial. Prominent sports attorney Jeffrey Kessler also sued the NCAA last month in an attempt to allow Division I football and men's basketball players to negotiate compensation. The two sides of the O'Bannon case met twice in March for settlement talks, according to court documents. A federal judge recently granted the plaintiff's request to include the NLRB ruling in the case.

O'Bannon's lawsuit goes unmentioned in Calipari's latest book, his fourth.

"I don't endorse all of what the NCAA critics say," Calipari writes. "But I don't think the organization—and the institution of college sports—would be under such attack if we made some of the common-sense changes that I, and many others, are recommending."

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: WSJ: John Calipari: NCAA Is Crumbling Like the Soviet Union
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:38:32 AM »
I agree with every single thing he says.

And if anyone chimes in that smaller schools wouldn't be able to compete etc etc etc, please let me know when Loyola-Chicago or Detroit Mercy have their own version of the AL or the Bradley Center.
We Are Marquette

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
He makes some excellent points.  I don't think I'm alone in not being a big Calipari fan, but this could change my mind.  Even if he is just trying to stick it to the organization that has repeatedly labeled him a cheater, I think he is right.  Agreeing with Calipari is an odd start to the day.

The past couple years I've been much more cognizant of the exploitation inherent to my favorite sport.  College basketball and football are certain to be much different in five years.  I hope they find a reasonable solution that preserves the excitement of college athletics and does right by the athletes. I fear there is too much money involved for people to act reasonably.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
SUPERBAR

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
His idea on creating a new body with subpoena power....how is he going to do this, with pixie dust?  Of course everyone wants the NCAA to have it, but that doesn't mean they get to have it or any other body.  Subpoena power is a writ for a government agency....the NCAA isn't a gov't agency, so as much as I support like crazy the desire for the NCAA to have subpoena power, his suggestion to merely create a body that has that power seems naive at best.

$3k to $5K?  And what is it a few years from now? $5k to $10K?  You know that's going to do nothing but keep getting worse.  Golf athletes getting this also?  Female softball players?  Track and Field? 

I have no problem with the loan idea in principle, but talk about the Pandora's box that is going to open.  Afterall, nothing screams responsibility like a bunch of prima donna's aged 18 to 22.  Can't wait to hear the stories of the money borrowed what it is spent on and then the player busts out and can't pay it back. 

His common sense ideas about hotel stays, championship rings...whatever.  That's a non-issue. 

TJ

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
His common sense ideas about hotel stays, championship rings...whatever.  That's a non-issue. 
Obviously it is an issue because it keeps getting requested and nothing changes.

The NCAA doesn't have to do exactly what Calipari says, but they have to do something.  And someone with some power that represents the best interests of the student athletes should be involved - if that has to be a Northwestern players union because the NCAA and the conferences can't look past their greed enough to do it themselves then so be it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
Afterall, nothing screams responsibility like a bunch of prima donna's aged 18 to 22. 

As opposed to the "responsible" middle aged people who are even bigger prima donna's? Please...Just look at scoop.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:51:25 AM »
$3k to $5K?  And what is it a few years from now? $5k to $10K? 

If it is pegged to inflation or some index of the 'actual' cost to attend college (I'm sure the FAFSA people have one) that is exactly what will happen. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:54:17 AM »
As opposed to the "responsible" middle aged people who are even bigger prima donna's? Please...Just look at scoop.

So you're advocating for the 2 wrongs make a right model?   :D

I'm not sure I buy the "NCAA HAS TO DO SOMETHING" argument either.  That's half of what keeps getting this country in a mess.  You "fix" something without knowing the unintended consequences and you create an even bigger issue.  Nothing is ever fixed, but people feel all warm and fuzzy in their bellies at night for a few weeks feeling like they did something...that is until those that were "helped" say it isn't enough and want more.

To me, the solution is simple.  These are the rules, deal with them.  If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.  If enough of the best players say they won't play, then the NBA can change the NBDL rules to allow them to come in one year earlier.  They can get their $3K to $5K per month, not even per academic year.   Put the onus on the NBA to stop freeloading off the NCAA.  Kids that want the college experience, will go to college.  Kids that don't care about school, go somewhere else.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:55:38 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »
How about a salary cap on coaches salaries?  How would Calipari feel about that?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
So you're advocating for the 2 wrongs make a right model?   :D

I'm not sure I buy the "NCAA HAS TO DO SOMETHING" argument either.  That's have of what keeps getting this country in a mess.  You "fix" something without knowing the unintended consequences and you create an even bigger issue.  Nothing is ever fixed, but people feel all warm and fuzzy in their bellies at night for a few weeks feeling like they did something...that is until those that were "helped" say it isn't enough and want more.

To me, the solution is simple.  These are the rules, deal with them.  If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.  If enough of the best players say they won't play, then the NBA can change the NBDL rules to allow them to come in one year earlier.  They can get their $3K to $5K per month, not even per academic year.   Put the onus on the NBA to stop freeloading off the NCAA.  Kids that want the college experience, will go to college.  Kids that don't care about school, go somewhere else.

Hmmm ... the "our way or the highway" approach. You then think that current rules treat the athletes 100% fairly then?

I'm not being a jerk here (or at least not trying to be). I seriously am asking this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »
So you're advocating for the 2 wrongs make a right model?   :D

I'm not sure I buy the "NCAA HAS TO DO SOMETHING" argument either.  That's have of what keeps getting this country in a mess.  You "fix" something without knowing the unintended consequences and you create an even bigger issue.  Nothing is ever fixed, but people feel all warm and fuzzy in their bellies at night for a few weeks feeling like they did something...that is until those that were "helped" say it isn't enough and want more.

To me, the solution is simple.  These are the rules, deal with them.  If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else.  If enough of the best players say they won't play, then the NBA can change the NBDL rules to allow them to come in one year earlier.  They can get their $3K to $5K per month, not even per academic year.   Put the onus on the NBA to stop freeloading off the NCAA.  Kids that want the college experience, will go to college.  Kids that don't care about school, go somewhere else.

I think you are missing the point behind why Calipari and others are saying that the NCAA has to do something. It's not simply a matter of making it better, it's about survival. People don't like the rules and they will start going somewhere else if the rules are not adapted. Over the past couple years we have seen athletes successfully challenge the rules on individual likeness, expanded influence of the BCS, the movement to unionize, and a push by people like Mark Cuban to expand developmental leagues to undercut the NCAA. This isn't simply a matter of change for the sake of change.

I don't necessarily have enough knowledge of the NCAA to say whether or not I agree with all of Calipari's proposed solutions, but I agree with the general premise that the NCAA appears to be on the verge of collapse. I certainly don't think it's in the NCAA's best interest to stubbornly cling to the status quo. Some changes are probably necessary if they hope to survive.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »

$3k to $5K?  And what is it a few years from now? $5k to $10K?  You know that's going to do nothing but keep getting worse.  Golf athletes getting this also?  Female softball players?  Track and Field? 

I'm kind of agreeing to his most of his points, but no so much this part.  I don't want to see college athletes get paid and I think the point of $3k to $5K is to pay for airfare, family visits, little things in life that other college students etc. so instead of giving a blank check of this amount allow for the school to cover a specified quantity of these type expenses.  Allow the athletes to work summer jobs. 

The problem with $3k to $5K is everyone who speaks of it is really only talking about football and basketball and not the zillion other NCAA sports.  If you only give scholarships regardless of sport you are being fair to a degree, but when you start paying some and not wanting to pay others now you've moved beyond near equal.  There is TITLE IX and you pay football players are you going to pay 85 women student-athletes in a non-revenue generating college sport to compensate?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
The NBA is in talks with the NCAA already about this issue and seems to not have an issue with paying players.  Yes, the NBA will open up its pocket books and even have a 2 and done rule. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/silver-says-nba-could-help-college-players-040914

brandx

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »
The NBA is in talks with the NCAA already about this issue and seems to not have an issue with paying players.  Yes, the NBA will open up its pocket books and even have a 2 and done rule. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/ohio/story/silver-says-nba-could-help-college-players-040914

Chicos votes No. Give money to poor people who are making millions for the schools? No way ;D

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »
Chicos votes No. Give money to poor people who are making millions for the schools? No way ;D

Poor People are the accelerators of the economy.  Put money into their hands and it's spent within no time. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
Hmmm ... the "our way or the highway" approach. You then think that current rules treat the athletes 100% fairly then?

I'm not being a jerk here (or at least not trying to be). I seriously am asking this.

How is it any different than the extortion threat they are using....our way or the highway and we'll break away underlying threat?

Do I think athletes are treated fairly?  Yes.

A scholarship valued at $80K to $300K if they go through graduation
Often an admission to a school they couldn't even get into....priceless
Access to free tutors and mentors
Access to some of the finest coaches in the country
A training ground (for some sports) to help them cash in for their careers down the road to make huge money (potentially)
Free rooming, free food, free clothing and gear
Access to an alumni base and the powerful that most people don't get a chance to have = post graduate jobs, business relationships, etc
Travel
Etc

They get hard costs taken care of and its hard to even put a value tag on the benefits they get post school either through connections, etc. 

When you say "athletes", I'd also like to know who you mean because it sure seems to me that 99% of the time people are talking about the 50,000 Football and basketball players and not the other 400,000 student athletes from all the other sports.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
If it is pegged to inflation or some index of the 'actual' cost to attend college (I'm sure the FAFSA people have one) that is exactly what will happen. 

That always works out great.  I can hear it now  "but but but it costs so much more to go to school at St. John's than Nebraska, so I deserve a larger increase".  Quite frankly, they would be exactly correct in that argument.  Our tax system, SS payouts, etc should work the same way, but they don't.

As for the "actual cost" to attend college, I can't wait to see that itemized list and especially the discretionary items which are just that...discretionary but will now all of a sudden be deemed necessary and part of the actual cost.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:49 AM »

Seems a bit of a broad statement...didn't realize only poor people are making "millions" for the schools.....and what about the schools not making millions at all that actually lose money?  Again, too many here focusing on the top 10% not the bigger picture.

I guess these "poor people" aren't getting anything out of the deal   :o

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
I think you are missing the point behind why Calipari and others are saying that the NCAA has to do something. It's not simply a matter of making it better, it's about survival. People don't like the rules and they will start going somewhere else if the rules are not adapted. Over the past couple years we have seen athletes successfully challenge the rules on individual likeness, expanded influence of the BCS, the movement to unionize, and a push by people like Mark Cuban to expand developmental leagues to undercut the NCAA. This isn't simply a matter of change for the sake of change.

I don't necessarily have enough knowledge of the NCAA to say whether or not I agree with all of Calipari's proposed solutions, but I agree with the general premise that the NCAA appears to be on the verge of collapse. I certainly don't think it's in the NCAA's best interest to stubbornly cling to the status quo. Some changes are probably necessary if they hope to survive.

I get it just fine, basically lower your standards, bend your rules or change them....it sounds like American Catholics. 

You're basically arguing that if changes aren't made, they take their ball and go elsewhere.  Fine.  Go elsewhere.

Lastly, why on earth is it so hard for people to process the most important point in all of this.  The NCAA is an ASSOCIATION.   The schools are its members, the NCAA is a body that enforces the rules, administers the champions, but it functions at the behest of its membership...the SCHOOLS. 

If the schools want to make changes, then there will be changes.  Don't blame the NCAA, blame the schools.  If the HAVES believe the HAVE NOTS are wielding too much power and diluting their votes to get legislation passed, then the HAVES will do something about it.

It is a bit ironic seeing certain people here back the HAVES.   ;)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm kind of agreeing to his most of his points, but no so much this part.  I don't want to see college athletes get paid and I think the point of $3k to $5K is to pay for airfare, family visits, little things in life that other college students etc. so instead of giving a blank check of this amount allow for the school to cover a specified quantity of these type expenses.  Allow the athletes to work summer jobs. 

The problem with $3k to $5K is everyone who speaks of it is really only talking about football and basketball and not the zillion other NCAA sports.  If you only give scholarships regardless of sport you are being fair to a degree, but when you start paying some and not wanting to pay others now you've moved beyond near equal.  There is TITLE IX and you pay football players are you going to pay 85 women student-athletes in a non-revenue generating college sport to compensate?

Athletes CAN work summer jobs

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »
I think Coach Cal might want to enroll in Kentucky's world class history or political science courses and maybe understand why the Soviet Union crumbled.  His analogy is piss poor.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 11:18:08 AM »
Poor People are the accelerators of the economy.  Put money into their hands and it's spent within no time. 

I would prefer they be investing in tech infrastructure but it's just too damn hard to say no to a six of PBR and a pack American Spirits on a balmy Friday night

Death on call

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
I agree with every single thing he says.

And if anyone chimes in that smaller schools wouldn't be able to compete etc etc etc, please let me know when Loyola-Chicago or Detroit Mercy have their own version of the AL or the Bradley Center.

Can't speak for Detroit, but Loyola has made some pretty significant strides with their athletic facilities in recent years, with a new 5,000+ seat arena that opened about 6-7 years ago, and then a couple years back they opened a $26 million athletics facility that's essentially their version of the AL, minus the arena.
With that and joining the MVC last year, Loyola is definitely working to improve their hoops standing. I don't think they'll ever reach the Big East level, but they're trending in the right direction. Unfortunately, I don't think Porter Moser is the guy to take them to the next level.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 11:24:02 AM »
I would prefer they be investing in tech infrastructure but it's just too damn hard to say no to a six of PBR and a pack American Spirits on a balmy Friday night

Perhaps I should have stated "accelerators of the retail sector".  

I'm 100% for tech infrastructure.  It's a shame that corporate America is sitting on excess of 1.8 trillion dollars in cash.  This is dead money that's not doing anything.  Think of the R+D opportunities that are being wasted as well as all the jobs that could be created!!!