[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 26084 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2014, 08:55:10 AM »
+1

Rice Lake is almost a suburb of Minneapolis.  His brother goes to UofM. 

If he wants to stay close to home .... Richard Pitino and the Gophers make more sense.

Only 2.5 hours away.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »
A couple of things about Marquette BB history.  Rick Majerus loved the school and wanted to be the head basketball coach forever.  He would have been a long term heir to the McGuire legacy.  There were a couple of problems.  Marquette's administration didn't have a clue about the changing face of college basketball and didn't really support Raymonds and Majerus in a way that would have kept things going.  DePaul's games were going nationwide thanks to the WGN/Cable thing and the Big East was emerging.

Rick needed someone to guide him through the changes and help him grow as a head coach.  Hank was powerless as an AD.  Hank knew the Xs and Os but not the politics or the new recruiting challenges.  Al was too busy with new ventures.  Rick was pretty much alone and made some mistakes as he was growing into the job.  His weight ballooned to a near deadly point.  He was pushing players out of the program and that created bad PR.  Check some of the articles in the old Milwaukee Journal.

Rick jumped to the Bucks as an assistant and in early summer many and quality coaches didn't want to take a new college position at that point.  The word was also out that Marquette was not supporting the program at the same level as high profile schools.  Al really had been pulling a rabbit out of his hat during his tenure because of the strength of his personality and being the right person at the right time, in the history of college basketball.

(Dukiet reached out to some female students in ways that should have gotten him fired early if it was known.  His BB recruiting was done by assistants and most of what could be considered good blue chip level players were margin students who either could not get into school or were soon gone.)
I agree with this analysis.  Also I would add we were very fortunate to have Mr. Cords arrive when he did as I think he did a great job maneuvering us into the new age of college basketball.

The good news is since those dark years  we have gone to a completely different level as an institution academically and athletically. I continue to believe that over the next 3-5 years the Big East will gain strength and our program will benefit from that rising tide. Wojo is in the right place at the right time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:02 AM »
heard that Wally is not likely staying at MN...

Sorry but you misunderstood. Wally is staying at Minnesota. He just left the basketball team. He is one of the nation's top track and field athletes and wants to focus on that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »
I heard the opposite also, that he is looking to play basketball again somewhere else.  Not sure how it will relate to Henry yet.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:18 AM »
You do know his brother is one of the best high jumpers in the country and a role player in basketball.  So he focusing on the making the Olympics and not Gopher basketball.

Yes Rice Lake is 103 miles from Minneapolis.  I guess you are slamming me because that is not "almost of suburb of Minneapolis" but MU being 332 miles from Rice Lake is "Henry staying home?" That was what I was responding to with that comment. 

If Henry wants to "stay home" the Gophers are 100 miles away and Bucky and MU are 300 miles away.

Milwaukee is considered a Chicago suburb, and that's 100 miles.  Don't see why Rice Lake and Minny can't have the same relationship. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
Sorry but you misunderstood. Wally is staying at Minnesota. He just left the basketball team. He is one of the nation's top track and field athletes and wants to focus on that

Wally Ellenson reportedly intends to transfer from Minnesota minnesota.247sports.com via @247Sports

Minnesota forward Wally Ellenson will transfer, per a source. After leaving the team earlier, he intends to play basketball next year. @TheRecruitingScoop

He's playing ball

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
Chili

You are correct sir. It was the Bell, right off of 63. That was the turn for our place on the Namekagon. Although, to get to and from Spooner we took K.

The Nook was over in Hayward. The Nook had great pie but I always ate at home.

The Nook also is in Rice Lake and along Interstate 94 southeast of Eau Claire. I think in Altoona, but I may be wrong.

Rice Lake is no more a suburb of Minneapolis than Peoria is of Chicago. It's light years away.

Incidentally, that's my parents' homeland. Spent years of summers (and a few icy Christmas vacations) north of Spooner near a small town along U.S. 53. Craziest sight I ever saw was Bill Proxmire jogging in a blizzard near Superior in the early 1970s.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
Not to mention that most MU fans, boosters, alums at the time wanted Rick gone.  MU fans got what they wanted, they just got it in June instead of April.  Hank should have coached that 86-87 and done a national search in March of '87.

Blaming Rick for Dukiet's ineptness is like blaming Tom Crean for Buzz's "squirminess".

In hindsight Hank should have definitely been interim coach until the following spring. At the time though, no one really knew Dukiet would be the train wreck he turned out to be.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
The Nook also is in Rice Lake and along Interstate 94 southeast of Eau Claire. I think in Altoona, but I may be wrong.

Rice Lake is no more a suburb of Minneapolis than Peoria is of Chicago. It's light years away.

Incidentally, that's my parents' homeland. Spent years of summers (and a few icy Christmas vacations) north of Spooner near a small town along U.S. 53. Craziest sight I ever saw was Bill Proxmire jogging in a blizzard near Superior in the early 1970s.

Gordon (where Bud Grant has a cabin)?
Minong?
Solon Springs?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »
heard that Wally is not likely staying at MN...

He should transfer to a SEC school like Florida, Arkansas or Texas A&M as they are very strong in track.  He's a 7'3" high jumper, needs to get to 7' 7" to have a realistic shot at Rio in 2016.  MN is not as strong in this area.

He needs to give up basketball.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2014, 11:23:19 AM »
He should transfer to a SEC school like Florida, Arkansas or Texas A&M as they are very strong in track.  He's a 7'3" high jumper, needs to get to 7' 7" to have a realistic shot at Rio in 2016.  MN is not as strong in this area.

He needs to give up basketball.

Why not Villanova? They have an outstanding track & field program with lots of success.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Why not Villanova? They have an outstanding track & field program with lots of success.

Distance running school, not a jumping school

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »

I've been to the Nook in Rice Lake, too, which was my original lefkes post. I recall that first summer and meeting neighbors along the lake who were all vacationers. They each said they were from "the cities." At first I thought they wanted me to guess which one or, unfortunately, they were simply too ashamed to tell me what city and so they just left it ambiguous. After the 6th guy said "the cities" I realized they were all referring to Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »
i heard henry was offered by duke?? doesn't mean we still don't have a chance, I have a toothache?  i'd say have coach sheshefski and wojo arm wrestle for him if it comes down to these 2 schools
don't...don't don't don't don't

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 06:15:05 AM »
aina'.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2014, 06:22:11 AM »
Milwaukee is considered a Chicago suburb, and that's 100 miles.  Don't see why Rice Lake and Minny can't have the same relationship. 

No.  No its not.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
someone who knows the family well says he likely is not staying - but keep saying it...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »
Nook or the Dinner Bell?

Great smallies on the Croix.  R Rat, are you listening!

Great area.  I've got access to a lake e of spooner with monster gills.  My favorite fish on an ultra light and 4 lb test.

Potato?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »
someone who knows the family well says he likely is not staying - but keep saying it...

My apologies, some one else provided proof to the contrary. You were right
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2014, 08:14:32 AM »
Potato?

Nope.  East of Spooner.  Nice quiet lake, with no public access.  In the winter, guides fly out in small planes with skis on the wheels to land and fish the lake.  That's the only way you can get on the lake if you aren't one of a few land owners.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »

No, I think you have it backwards.  Chicago is considered a suburb of Milwaukee.   ;D
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2014, 01:23:23 PM »
No, I think you have it backwards.  Chicago is considered a suburb of Milwaukee.   ;D

I am told Milwaukee is a suburb of Thiensville

Death on call