[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 26275 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »
Nook or the Dinner Bell?

Great smallies on the Croix.  R Rat, are you listening!

Great area.  I've got access to a lake e of spooner with monster gills.  My favorite fish on an ultra light and 4 lb test.

Pound for pound there is nothing like them.  Fun as heck.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
John Ellenson ‏@jcellenson  38s
Duke offers Henry Ellenson and shows picture of brother Wally.  http://bluedevilnation.net/2014/04/duke-offers-henry-ellenson/ …

John Ellenson ‏@jcellenson 1h  “@DanRaddad2005: @jcellenson Except he isn't playing for Pump and Run this year, correct?” Playground Elite EYBL

FYI - These tweets are from Henry's dad John Ellenson

John played for MU in 1987 and 1988
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/john_ellenson

Then, I believe, he transferred to Bucky.  Maybe others can confirm if true and why he transferred.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:47:53 PM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
As long as I stuck my head into it ... Henry's mom also tweets and had this ...

Holly Ellenson ‏@HollyJElle Apr 11  Coach K from Duke and his staff here this morning along with the new head coach of Marquette Coach Wojo #nicknames r easier #reunion

So Wojo made the trip more to talk to coach K than to Henry?  Is that how you interpret it?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:01:52 PM by Heisenberg »

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
John transferred specifically because of Bob Dukiet. He, and many other players couldn't stand the consistent negativity and ridicule they got on a daily basis. Dukiet set the program back a decade by the time he was finished. John finished his career at UW, and did a decent job as a player. His son would be a great player for Marquette.

Henry would be playing in a totally different program at Marquette compared to what his father was subjected to. Marquette is a great university with a much better campus. It is also on the national stage each year. Henry could help build something very special. Plus, he would be able to stay home while he does it. Great fit for Henry!

GO MU!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:04:52 PM by hoops12 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »
John transferred specifically because of Bob Dukiet. He, and many other players couldn't stand the consistent negativity and ridicule they got on a daily basis. Dukiet set the program back a decade by the time he was finished. John finished his career at UW, and did a decent job as a player. His son would be a great player for Marquette.

Henry would be playing in a totally different program at Marquette compared to what his father was subject to. Marquette is a great university with a much better campus. It is also on the  national stage each year. Henry could help build something very special. Plus, he would be able to stay home while he does it. Great fit for Henry!

GO MU!

Started with Rick leaving us in July...talk about not having any option for a head coach. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »

Henry would be playing in a totally different program at Marquette compared to what his father was subject to. Marquette is a great university with a much better campus. It is also on the  national stage each year. Henry could help build something very special. Plus, he would be able to stay home while he does it. Great fit for Henry!
GO MU!

So Dukiet was so bad for our program that he still might be hurting it decades later!!!

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

Henry would be playing in a totally different program at Marquette compared to what his father was subjected to. Marquette is a great university with a much better campus. It is also on the national stage each year. Henry could help build something very special. Plus, he would be able to stay home while he does it. Great fit for Henry!

GO MU!

Don't have the quote but his dad said he holds nothing against MU and would be fine if his son went there or something along those lines.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Chicos,

I've read many of your posts, but this one is the most absurd. Blame Rick's leaving for Dukiet's ineptness? Wow! That is just stupid! Dukiet didn't know how to recruit, coach or build relationships. The majority of his players hated him. Not dislike, but HATE! There were many potential coaches out there when Rick left, but Marquette decided on someone that was rarely successful, and he belittled everyone is his way. Pathetic that you would blame Rick who loved Marquette up until the day of his death!

Terrible post Chicos....just terrible!

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Dukiet's last two years at St. Peters and his three years at Marquette:

1984–1985   St. Peter's   15–14      
1985–1986   St. Peter's   16–12   

1986–1987   Marquette   16–13         
1987–1988   Marquette   10–18         
1988–1989   Marquette   13–15
-----------------------------------------------
Kevin O'Neil came in and turned things around, but it took him a lot of hard work and several years:

1989-1990  Marquette   15–14   
1990–1991   Marquette   11–18      
1991–1992   Marquette   16–13   
1992–1993   Marquette   20–8   6–4      NCAA 1st Round
1993–1994   Marquette   24–9   10–2

As bad as his record was, Dukiet's recruiting was much, much worse. Kevin O'Neil did a nice job of turning this around and pushing us back into the NCAA Tournament after several years.           

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
Coach K is Mr Miyagi and Wojo is the Karate Kid. In other words, you can't school your teacher!

This is false. As we learned in Karate Kid II, Sato san approached Miyagi sama and informed him, "Now, I am your student!" He then had his construction firm rebuild the village that had been devastated by the Typhoon, thereby healing wounds that stretched across decades, an ocean, and a war.

The truly wise know that learning never ends.

Kumiko chan, the saucy temptress from whom Daniel san learned new ways of perceiving reality.

Wisdom wrapped in silk is more readily grasped than knowledge cloaked in burlap.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 12:52:17 AM »
Nook or the Dinner Bell?

Great smallies on the Croix.  R Rat, are you listening!

Great area.  I've got access to a lake e of spooner with monster gills.  My favorite fish on an ultra light and 4 lb test.

Chili

You are correct sir. It was the Bell, right off of 63. That was the turn for our place on the Namekagon. Although, to get to and from Spooner we took K.

The Nook was over in Hayward. The Nook had great pie but I always ate at home.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 01:32:01 AM »
Chicos,

I've read many of your posts, but this one is the most absurd. Blame Rick's leaving for Dukiet's ineptness? Wow! That is just stupid! Dukiet didn't know how to recruit, coach or build relationships. The majority of his players hated him. Not dislike, but HATE! There were many potential coaches out there when Rick left, but Marquette decided on someone that was rarely successful, and he belittled everyone is his way. Pathetic that you would blame Rick who loved Marquette up until the day of his death!

I think that you missed a major part of Chicos post.  He wasn't blaming Majerus for leaving as much as he was blaming him for leaving in JULY.  At that time of year it is extremely difficult to hire a new HC for a college team.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 01:43:01 AM »
Plus, he would be able to stay home while he does it.

Commute from Rice Lake?

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 06:28:29 AM »
Blame Rick for leavin' in June. Blame Hank for hirin' Dukiet.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:47 AM »

GO MU!

well at least he(dukiet) could still play a mean piano...?? ?-( 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:34 AM »
Commute from Rice Lake?

+1

Rice Lake is almost a suburb of Minneapolis.  His brother goes to UofM. 

If he wants to stay close to home .... Richard Pitino and the Gophers make more sense.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2014, 07:36:40 AM »
you do know his brother quit the team over a dispute with Pitino?

you do know 103 miles one way in traffic is not "almost a suburb of Minn"

brilliant display of posting...

+1

Rice Lake is almost a suburb of Minneapolis.  His brother goes to UofM. 

If he wants to stay close to home .... Richard Pitino and the Gophers make more sense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »

You do know his brother is one of the best high jumpers in the country and a role player in basketball.  So he focusing on the making the Olympics and not Gopher basketball.

Yes Rice Lake is 103 miles from Minneapolis.  I guess you are slamming me because that is not "almost of suburb of Minneapolis" but MU being 332 miles from Rice Lake is "Henry staying home?" That was what I was responding to with that comment. 

If Henry wants to "stay home" the Gophers are 100 miles away and Bucky and MU are 300 miles away.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 08:19:28 AM »

Dispute? Not really. More for track purposes. I believe he was dressed for senior night at the barn and honored. Pitino spoke highly of him.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:27 AM »
Chicos,

Not to mention that most MU fans, boosters, alums at the time wanted Rick gone.  MU fans got what they wanted, they just got it in June instead of April.  Hank should have coached that 86-87 and done a national search in March of '87.

Blaming Rick for Dukiet's ineptness is like blaming Tom Crean for Buzz's "squirminess".
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
heard that Wally is not likely staying at MN...

You do know his brother is one of the best high jumpers in the country and a role player in basketball.  So he focusing on the making the Olympics and not Gopher basketball.

Yes Rice Lake is 103 miles from Minneapolis.  I guess you are slamming me because that is not "almost of suburb of Minneapolis" but MU being 332 miles from Rice Lake is "Henry staying home?" That was what I was responding to with that comment. 

If Henry wants to "stay home" the Gophers are 100 miles away and Bucky and MU are 300 miles away.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2014, 08:28:15 AM »
Yes, Pitino felt compelled to publically deny there was a dispute - so there must be no dispute,,,

Dispute? Not really. More for track purposes. I believe he was dressed for senior night at the barn and honored. Pitino spoke highly of him.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2014, 08:29:05 AM »
A couple of things about Marquette BB history.  Rick Majerus loved the school and wanted to be the head basketball coach forever.  He would have been a long term heir to the McGuire legacy.  There were a couple of problems.  Marquette's administration didn't have a clue about the changing face of college basketball and didn't really support Raymonds and Majerus in a way that would have kept things going.  DePaul's games were going nationwide thanks to the WGN/Cable thing and the Big East was emerging.

Rick needed someone to guide him through the changes and help him grow as a head coach.  Hank was powerless as an AD.  Hank knew the Xs and Os but not the politics or the new recruiting challenges.  Al was too busy with new ventures.  Rick was pretty much alone and made some mistakes as he was growing into the job.  His weight ballooned to a near deadly point.  He was pushing players out of the program and that created bad PR.  Check some of the articles in the old Milwaukee Journal.

Rick jumped to the Bucks as an assistant and in early summer many and quality coaches didn't want to take a new college position at that point.  The word was also out that Marquette was not supporting the program at the same level as high profile schools.  Al really had been pulling a rabbit out of his hat during his tenure because of the strength of his personality and being the right person at the right time, in the history of college basketball.

(Dukiet reached out to some female students in ways that should have gotten him fired early if it was known.  His BB recruiting was done by assistants and most of what could be considered good blue chip level players were margin students who either could not get into school or were soon gone.)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:33:35 AM by TheTulsaWarrior »

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:08 AM »
So Dukiet was so bad for our program that he still might be hurting it decades later!!!

Yes, he was.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2014, 08:38:16 AM »
A couple of things about Marquette BB history.  Rick Majerus loved the school and wanted to be the head basketball coach forever.  He would have been a long term heir to the McGuire legacy.  There were a couple of problems.  Marquette's administration didn't have a clue about the changing face of college basketball and didn't really support Raymonds and Majerus in a way that would have kept things going.  DePaul's games were going nationwide thanks to the WGN/Cable thing and the Big East was emerging.

Rick needed someone to guide him through the changes and help him grow as a head coach.  Hank was powerless as an AD.  Hank knew the Xs and Os but not the politics or the new recruiting challenges.  Al was too busy with new ventures.  Rick was pretty much alone and made some mistakes as he was growing into the job.  His weight ballooned to a near deadly point.  He was pushing players out of the program and that created bad PR.  Check some of the articles in the old Milwaukee Journal.

Rick jumped to the Bucks as an assistant and in early summer and many quality coaches didn't want to take a new college position at that point.  The word was also out that Marquette was not supporting the program at the same level as high profile schools.  Al really had been pulling a rabbit out of his hat during his tenure because of the strength of his personality and being the right person at the right time, in the history of college basketball.

(Dukiet reached out to some female students in ways that should have gotten him fired early if it was known.  His BB recruiting was done by assistants and most of what could be considered good blue chip level players were margin students who either could not get into school or were soon gone.)

A very good and IIRC very accurate history of the time.  The one thing that I would add is that Al McGuire's leaving was partly motivated by Al seeing changes coming that would make him less effective and Al deciding to get out while the getting was good.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.