collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: HTC One M8 vs. Samsung S5  (Read 2469 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
HTC One M8 vs. Samsung S5
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:48:06 AM »
I'm in the market for a new phone and I've read reviews on each.  Does anyone have the HTC One M8?  How do you like it?  I know the S5 doesn't come out until tomorrow... but some of the review's I've read haven't been glowing.

I currently have an S2, so no matter which I decide on, it will be a major upgrade.

Don't tell me to get an iPhone because its not happening.

Reviews of each:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/heres-why-people-are-so-excited-about-the-new-htc-one-80913367177.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-samsung-galaxy-s5-when-a-committee-builds-a-82236357298.html

I have been waiting for the S5 for a long while (at least 6 months), and now that it is finally here, I am so underwhelmed that I am seriously considering the HTC One.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:51:16 AM by Hards_Alumni »

T-Bone

• All American
Re: HTC One M8 vs. Samsung S5
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
I have last year's HTC One.  I like it.  I previously had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  What I really didn't like about it until the updated to KitKat was the HTC Sense overlay.  In KitKat they finally allowed you to disable a few components of it that make it much cleaner to use.  I'm not sure if Sense 6 on the M8 allows you to do that.  If you can, and that's what you're after, I'd look at that as the favorite.  The 2013 One is solid, pretty good battery life, screen is excellent and I haven't had anything that annoys me (aside from the Sense issue which has been fixed). 
It "feels" a lot better than the Galaxy Nexus.  However there was a bit of an early hate period, because it wasn't quite as simple as the Nexus. 

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/HTC-One-M8,Samsung-Galaxy-S5/phones/8242,8202
They both look similar.  My question would be which skin HTC or Samsung is less offensive. 

Go to a store and compare them side by side. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:16:52 PM »
I have a big dilemma on my hands, as I'm also considering those two models.  I loved the new One when I played with it at the store last weekend.  Great display, fast processor, and I greatly prefer Sense over TouchWiz if forced to pick one.  The full metal body is a nice touch, too.  The Boom speakers on the One M8 were also amazing when watching videos.  The only thing that was not ideal was the poor camera quality, but I don't really take pictures much.

Sadly, the only reason that I'm considering an S5 is that I would prefer a phone with a removable battery, as I'm too cheap/broke to upgrade my phone every two years.  If the One M8 had that feature, I would have already purchased it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »
I have a big dilemma on my hands, as I'm also considering those two models.  I loved the new One when I played with it at the store last weekend.  Great display, fast processor, and I greatly prefer Sense over TouchWiz if forced to pick one.  The full metal body is a nice touch, too.  The Boom speakers on the One M8 were also amazing when watching videos.  The only thing that was not ideal was the poor camera quality, but I don't really take pictures much.

Sadly, the only reason that I'm considering an S5 is that I would prefer a phone with a removable battery, as I'm too cheap/broke to upgrade my phone every two years.  If the One M8 had that feature, I would have already purchased it.

You sound like me.  I don't understand why there is no removable battery... so stupid.  I don't care much about the camera quality either.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:53:49 PM »
I hated the idea of not having a replaceable battery.  It was pretty easy for me to get over that, and don't really think about it a year later.  My office is a dead zone for cell signals, so battery life isn't that great.  However, when I'm out of the office the battery life is great - and that's been improved with the M8 and the S5.  I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »
I'm in the market for a new phone and I've read reviews on each.  Does anyone have the HTC One M8?  How do you like it?  I know the S5 doesn't come out until tomorrow... but some of the review's I've read haven't been glowing.

I currently have an S2, so no matter which I decide on, it will be a major upgrade.

Don't tell me to get an iPhone because its not happening.

Reviews of each:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/heres-why-people-are-so-excited-about-the-new-htc-one-80913367177.html

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-samsung-galaxy-s5-when-a-committee-builds-a-82236357298.html

I have been waiting for the S5 for a long while (at least 6 months), and now that it is finally here, I am so underwhelmed that I am seriously considering the HTC One.

I have the M7, and I love it.  Great machine, not only best phone I have had (iPhone 4, various BlackBerrys), but best piece of tech I have ever bought.  And the M8 seems to be just an overall improvement.  The expandable storage on the new HTC One is ahuge improvement, think it takes up to a 128GB storage card.

As for the UI skins on each Samsung and and the HTC.  Easy workaround, just get a new launcher.  Nova launcher is probably the cleanest, I have been using Aviate the past few months, and love that too.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Love this discussion! I'm going to purchase one of these two phones tomorrow. My dilema is that I pretty much prefer the M8 in almost every regard. Boomsound speakers, binkfeed is a nice feature, really cool camera features, best touch latency of any phone out, premium build quality, tap to unlock, screen replacement warranty. Sounds like a no brainer right? Well the camera could be a deal breaker for me. Plus the IP67 dust and water resistance certification of the S5. Plus the amazing screen on the S5. Tough decision.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »
Love this discussion! I'm going to purchase one of these two phones tomorrow. My dilema is that I pretty much prefer the M8 in almost every regard. Boomsound speakers, binkfeed is a nice feature, really cool camera features, best touch latency of any phone out, premium build quality, tap to unlock, screen replacement warranty. Sounds like a no brainer right? Well the camera could be a deal breaker for me. Plus the IP67 dust and water resistance certification of the S5. Plus the amazing screen on the S5. Tough decision.

Yeah that is where I'm at.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »

Let me know which one you decide on. I'm going to buy this weekend too.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »
Let me know which one you decide on. I'm going to buy this weekend too.

Will do.

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 02:37:38 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread hards. Ended up getting the s5 today. Was really impressed with the m8 but for me it came down to camera quality, water proofing, and better feel in hand. Side note, if using the fingerprint scanner, make sure to log different fingers from different angles. At first I registered my thumb while holding the phone. I quickly learned it was hard to replicate the swipe while the phone was laying on my desk. So I registered my index finger too. Works great now!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »
Sorry to hijack your thread hards. Ended up getting the s5 today. Was really impressed with the m8 but for me it came down to camera quality, water proofing, and better feel in hand. Side note, if using the fingerprint scanner, make sure to log different fingers from different angles. At first I registered my thumb while holding the phone. I quickly learned it was hard to replicate the swipe while the phone was laying on my desk. So I registered my index finger too. Works great now!

Not a hijack at all, this is exactly what I wanted from this thread!

I heard the fingerprint scanner is a LOT touchy. 

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »
Items of note for the s5...The my magazine feature is really bad, no way to really customize feeds...will stick to flipboard. The camera on this thing so far is the best I've experienced on a smartphone. Takes really good photos in low light and the interface is simple. Has a lot of neat features too. The charging on USB 3.0 is FAST. However, the battery seems to drain as fast as your typical smartphone so nothing to write home about there. The fingerprint scanner for me is registering on the first swipe about 95% with one handed use which is not good enough for me. Will try registering my thumb from other angles to increase performance.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 08:53:53 AM »
Hey Hards, have you figured out what you're getting?

I also ended up purchasing the S5 on Saturday.  The removable battery won me over, as I want to keep this phone for more than two years, and be able to replace the battery once it starts degrading.  The rear speaker definitely is not great, but it's not quite as terrible as I thought it might be.  It doesn't hold a candle to HTC's speakers though.  The S5's camera is pretty excellent, and a lot better than the One M8's, IMO.  I also like the fact that the S5 is sealed and can supposedly survive a dunk in water.  I don't really care that it doesn't have a metal body, as I'll just be putting a case on it anyway.  Not a fan of Touchwiz, but I'll probably do something about that at some point.  I also like the fact that it has a physical home button.  I accidently touched the home button on the One M8 at least a couple times when I was trying out text messaging in the store.  S Health is really dumb, and a waste of space.  I didn't even try the heart rate monitor, as I have no need for it.

The one feature that I'm in love with (also available on the One M8) is the ultra power saving mode.  I can quickly go into the settings, turn this baby on, and essentially turn off everything except calling, texting, alarm, etc.  The phone essentially becomes a dumb phone.  I had mine fully charged yesterday morning, left it in ultra power saving mode all day during work (I'm at a computer all day so I don't really need my phone's internet browser then) and the battery was still in the mid 90's, percent-wise when I turned back on regular mode.  I had to make a number of calls during the day and the phone was vibrating quite a bit from texts during that time.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
Rumors a metal bodied S5 is in the works.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/07/samsung-galaxy-s5-metal/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 07:36:10 AM »
I got the S5.  US Cellular doesn't carry the HTC One M8... so the decision was made for me.

I'm very happy with what I have... though I could have done without the two hours it took to get it.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
I got the S5.  US Cellular doesn't carry the HTC One M8... so the decision was made for me.

I'm very happy with what I have... though I could have done without the two hours it took to get it.

I am also with U.S. Cellular and they're great but I can't believe the crappy deal they're giving on the S5. They are giving you a $25 Google play card with purchase while Verizon is doing BOGO and Sprint is giving a 7" Galaxy Tab.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
I am also with U.S. Cellular and they're great but I can't believe the crappy deal they're giving on the S5. They are giving you a $25 Google play card with purchase while Verizon is doing BOGO and Sprint is giving a 7" Galaxy Tab.

I got mine for a penny with the points I had saved.

feedback