[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JJJ confirms that he is staying at MU  (Read 48135 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Re: JJJ confirms that he is staying at MU
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
But hey, it is America, so everybody is entitled to an opinion, unless you are white, a Christian, pay taxes, and believe in the constitution--then you are not entitled.

...and heterosexual.

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:39 AM »
...and heterosexual.

How bout we leave the politics out huh? 

robertoc

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »
There is a lot more to the saga of Buzz that should be said. How he treated JJJ, Taylor and Duane, poor decisions, stupidity of playing Derrick 32 plus minutes per game, rotations, and the list goes on. The guy was a douche, and yet several on this board continue to slurp, defend, idolize, and woody crush the guy. But hey, it is America, so everybody is entitled to an opinion, unless you are white, a Christian, pay taxes, and believe in the constitution--then you are not entitled.

Yes, please do tell how the white man is being kept down..
Or better yet - let's keep the politics out of the hoops forum!

brandx

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »
Yes, please do tell how the white man is being kept down..
Or better yet - let's keep the politics out of the hoops forum!

You think Willie has a persecution complex? ::)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:38 AM »
As for Mayo - there is nothing on the basketball court Jake Thomas did better than Todd Mayo.

Shoot the three. Which is something our team desperately needed last season
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
This isn't 5th grade basketball here.  This is high major ball...and you play to win.  Why do you think talented guys with checkered pasts far worse than Todd - guys with all kind of legal and drug issues - get chance after chance after chance at the next level?  Because they can help a team win.  Todd could have helped that team win more basketball games last year.  Period.

This is thinking in the short term. Could have playing Mayo more despite whatever his off the court the issue were won us a few more games last season? Probably yes. But doing that destroys any credibility Buzz had left with his players. If Mayo could ignore the coach's direction and still play, what motivation does anyone else have to listen to the coach? So in the long term, playing Mayo could cost us a lot more wins than he would gain.

This is all theoretical. Other than his academic issues, I have no idea what other issues Mayo had. And judging from some of the ominous posts from JSGlow, CBB, and Keefe, there was a lot going on. If Mayo had enough issues to warrant him being shown the door, than he probably had no business being on the court last season, regardless of how many wins it would get us in the short term.
TAMU

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »

In the beginning of the season a large minority of people convinced themselves that Jake couldn't shoot against real D-I defenses.  Finishing the Big East in the top 10 in threes per  game and three point percentage never changed anyone's opinion of him.

Perception is reality in some cases.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »

Yes he shot 3's at 39% for the year to Mayo shooting 33.3.  One guy shot 172 of them, the other 75.  Yet I'd argue a guy who was so limited in everything else on the floor offensively - Jake made exactly 9, 2pt FG's in 32 games - is so poor, it offsets the overall value compared to a guy who is a threat EVERYWHERE, as was Mayo.  I mean Todd outscored Jake 340 to 254 for the season and played 240 LESS minutes - which is the equivalent of 6 full games!

But, yes, if you look at just shooting percentage, Jake is a better 3 point shooter than Todd - so it was an overstatement on my part to say there is nothing he does better on a basketball court.  Bigger picture, though, is when it is the ONLY thing you can do on the offensive end - there is ZERO reason why you should get 240 more minutes than a guy who can do it all and doubles your points per 40 minutes played.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=todd-mayo&p1=jake-thomas

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
Yes he shot 3's at 39% for the year to Mayo shooting 33.3.  One guy shot 172 of them, the other 75.  Yet I'd argue a guy who was so limited in everything else on the floor offensively - Jake made exactly 9, 2pt FG's in 32 games - is so poor, it offsets the overall value compared to a guy who is a threat EVERYWHERE, as was Mayo.  I mean Todd outscored Jake 340 to 254 for the season and played 240 LESS minutes - which is the equivalent of 6 full games!

But, yes, if you look at just shooting percentage, Jake is a better 3 point shooter than Todd - so it was an overstatement on my part to say there is nothing he does better on a basketball court.  Bigger picture, though, is when it is the ONLY thing you can do on the offensive end - there is ZERO reason why you should get 240 more minutes than a guy who can do it all and doubles your points per 40 minutes played.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=todd-mayo&p1=jake-thomas

I agree that Mayo talentwise deserved more minutes than Thomas. My argument last year was that because we were SO bad at three point shooting, that playing Jake was a necessary evil. Mayo (talentwise) deserved more minutes, but I would argue not a Jake's expense. I think we were at our most effective when Jake and Mayo were on the floor together.
TAMU

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2014, 11:39:22 AM »
I agree that Mayo talentwise deserved more minutes than Thomas. My argument last year was that because we were SO bad at three point shooting, that playing Jake was a necessary evil. Mayo (talentwise) deserved more minutes, but I would argue not a Jake's expense. I think we were at our most effective when Jake and Mayo were on the floor together.

I can agree with this - I was okay with Todd and Jake playing together too - and felt it could be a potential winning backcourt option, if paired with Dawson.  Yet I would have liked to seen JJJ get some minutes.  I was a hater of the Derrick and Jake combo more than anything.  Jake had some value as he was a good threat from 3.  But when you pair him with guys as limited as Derrick and Juan - it further exacerbates his deficiency - ability to score off the bounce and 2's.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
October 11 can't come soon enough.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »
In the beginning of the season a large minority of people convinced themselves that Jake couldn't shoot against real D-I defenses.  Finishing the Big East in the top 10 in threes per  game and three point percentage never changed anyone's opinion of him.

Perception is reality in some cases.

I never had a problem with Thomass three point shooting....it was everything else about his game that hurt us.  And im not saying anyone else deserved his minutes...thats why we stunk!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
I never had a problem with Thomass three point shooting....it was everything else about his game that hurt us.  And im not saying anyone else deserved his minutes...thats why we stunk!

+1000

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2014, 06:46:47 PM »
October 11 can't come soon enough.

We are arguing over who should have played more last year....a walk on who lucked his way into a couple scholarships, or a player that the current coach just booted.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:17 PM »
You think Willie has a persecution complex? ::)

He is the most joyless individual I've come across on this or just about any other site. Putting him on ignore has made my Scoop experience more enjoyable, but his joylessness still oozes out when he's quoted by others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 01, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »
He is the most joyless individual I've come across on this or just about any other site. Putting him on ignore has made my Scoop experience more enjoyable, but his joylessness still oozes out when he's quoted by others.
That's great MU, but you keep commenting on how you have me on ignore yet providing great analysis on my posts. While you are at it, mention why you have put me on ignore while you are bragging about how all others who do not have an MU degree are worthless. A little bit like an ND grad, eh?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
I doubt if you have a clue about joy, other than your gloating about all others who do not have an MU degree are not worthy. Why don't you stick to the subject that when you respond to somebody else that "you have come across on a website" means absolutely zilch in the world of meaningful discussion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
I doubt if you have a clue about joy, other than your gloating about all others who do not have an MU degree are not worthy. Why don't you stick to the subject that when you respond to somebody else that "you have come across on a website" means absolutely zilch in the world of meaningful discussion.

You are the one that took it off topic with your "persecuted white boy" theme.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2014, 06:24:15 AM »
Jake will make more money in his pro basketball career than Todd.

How do we make this pop up again in 5 years so we can check?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
Thank you for the Civics lesson, Sherlock. Don't need it from you. I have no perceived disadvantages--maybe you do. You do not like my opinions-fine. But don't lecture unless you can produce your Doctorate in Lectureology.
And I have liked what I have seen from Wojo, a whole lot better than the phony cowboy, who you and a few others go way out of your beaten path to defend at every criticism, just like now. So save the gas--you will have less heartburn. When you stop the slurping, I will stop the call outs.

BTW, thank you for the new signature.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
BTW, thank you for the new signature.

So you just got a Phd., congrats!
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »

Ok I'm seriously asking: were you actively rooting against us in the NCAA tournament the past 6 years? I mean I agree Buzz was phony anyone who didn't wanna propose on the third date could tell you that.  But you act like you didn't want him to win so would you rather not have the 2 s16 and e8 just to show that buzz sucked or are you willing to thank him for that and still say he was a phony?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:54 AM »

You are the one that took it off topic with your "persecuted white boy" theme.

Oh, silly Sultan. You with all of your fancy facts and truths and stuff!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2014, 09:37:01 AM »
Ok I'm seriously asking: were you actively rooting against us in the NCAA tournament the past 6 years? I mean I agree Buzz was phony anyone who didn't wanna propose on the third date could tell you that.  But you act like you didn't want him to win so would you rather not have the 2 s16 and e8 just to show that buzz sucked or are you willing to thank him for that and still say he was a phony?
Last 6 years? Did you forget about last year--or is that not relevant to you? And I have rooted for the Warriors before you were born. And yes, Buzz is a phony, misleading, stubborn. And you like a few others worship the ground he walks on. But Hey--it is all right. It used to be the good old USA.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »
Oh, silly Sultan. You with all of your fancy facts and truths and stuff!
I see it all clearly now. MU 82 and Sultan, full of all the "right facts" clearly and smugly arrogant and righteous. Yes Sir, that is the way we all need to roll. Never question the conventional wisdom, because you will then be slandered and called names, and even better, psychoanalyzed by the pros that are here.

feedback