[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JJJ confirms that he is staying at MU  (Read 48109 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: JJJ confirms that he is staying at MU
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »
Trying to recall ... did you even hint in the past 3 months that you thought there was a real good chance Mayo would leave?

Not saying you did or didn't. Just wondering.

Chico and I both said in April that Mayo was in all likelihood not coming back. There is a lot more to the story that doesn't serve anyone - Bert and Marquette especially - so it is better left unsaid. Mayo was an odd duck and it is probably best for everyone that he seeks other opportunities. I hope he succeeds but do bear in mind he will never go hungry regardless of how he does in his professional basketball career.

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »

Chico and I both said in April that Mayo was in all likelihood not coming back. There is a lot more to the story that doesn't serve anyone - Bert and Marquette especially - so it is better left unsaid. Mayo was an odd duck and it is probably best for everyone that he seeks other opportunities. I hope he succeeds but do bear in mind he will never go hungry regardless of how he does in his professional basketball career.
There is a lot more to the saga of Buzz that should be said. How he treated JJJ, Taylor and Duane, poor decisions, stupidity of playing Derrick 32 plus minutes per game, rotations, and the list goes on. The guy was a douche, and yet several on this board continue to slurp, defend, idolize, and woody crush the guy. But hey, it is America, so everybody is entitled to an opinion, unless you are white, a Christian, pay taxes, and believe in the constitution--then you are not entitled.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
There is a lot more to the saga of Buzz that should be said. How he treated JJJ, Taylor and Duane, poor decisions, stupidity of playing Derrick 32 plus minutes per game, rotations, and the list goes on. The guy was a douche, and yet several on this board continue to slurp, defend, idolize, and woody crush the guy. But hey, it is America, so everybody is entitled to an opinion, unless you are white, a Christian, pay taxes, and believe in the constitution--then you are not entitled.
Duane was not healthy, so I am not sure what you are talking about here. At some point Buzz knew JJJ and Taylor were planning on transferring and most coaches do not bother to play players that are leaving. I am not idolizing Buzz as he is responsible for his team he put together. However, like in any divorce the problems are not one sided. I have posted previously that everyone is happy with Wojo until they find out how much playing time they are going to get. You can only make an unhappy person happy for a short amount of time. That certainly apllied to Mayo. It still remains to be seen whether JJJ and Taylor can remain happy.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »
Right on the money! An a-hole in the 99th percentile of a-holes. One of those insecure self-congratulatory types.

Also known as a domer.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2014, 08:48:47 PM »
Duane was not healthy, so I am not sure what you are talking about here. At some point Buzz knew JJJ and Taylor were planning on transferring and most coaches do not bother to play players that are leaving. I am not idolizing Buzz as he is responsible for his team he put together. However, like in any divorce the problems are not one sided. I have posted previously that everyone is happy with Wojo until they find out how much playing time they are going to get. You can only make an unhappy person happy for a short amount of time. That certainly apllied to Mayo. It still remains to be seen whether JJJ and Taylor can remain happy.

So since Mayo left now we automatically have to start the JJJ and ST Jr. transfer watch? Nothing like the usual Scoop gloom and doom.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2014, 08:52:05 PM »

Hey I am white, Christian, pay taxes and believe in the Constitution (note the capital C).  

As more and more comes out about last year, it's becomes more and more obvious why he did what he did.  From Mayo...to Henry's stats on the PG position...to Taylor's injury...to people's selective memory about JJJ.

Good coach.  Hope Wojo will be better.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »

Hey I am white, Christian, pay taxes and believe in the Constitution (note the capital C). 

As more and more comes out about last year, it's becomes more and more obvious why he did what he did.  From Mayo...to Henry's stats on the PG position...to Taylor's injury...to people's selective memory about JJJ.

Good coach.  Hope Wojo will be better.
Not to step into your favorite discussion but isnt this all semantics?

Buzz's motivation didnt work....he likely chose the 'right' personal given the situation but 1+1 = 1 last year.  Frankly there were serious issues with strategy, execution and the cohesion of the team last year.  Its on all of them.

Hopefully onward and upward with Wojo getting them moving in the right direction.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:04 PM »
Not to step into your favorite discussion but isnt this all semantics?

Buzz's motivation didnt work....he likely chose the 'right' personal given the situation but 1+1 = 1 last year.  Frankly there were serious issues with strategy, execution and the cohesion of the team last year.  Its on all of them.

Hopefully onward and upward with Wojo getting them moving in the right direction.

I've said it before, Buzz the General Manager let down Buzz the coach.  Marquette was simply not a well rounded team.  I think the most well rounded team was 2011-12 (Jae's senior year).  Even 2012-13 was due to a fantastic backcourt that could manage to score without shooting the ball terrible well. 

Last year was poorly constructed.  I think even with Vander there, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2014, 09:14:17 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:16:10 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »

Thanks keefe. Makes sense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2014, 09:56:08 PM »

I've said it before, Buzz the General Manager let down Buzz the coach.  Marquette was simply not a well rounded team.  I think the most well rounded team was 2011-12 (Jae's senior year).  Even 2012-13 was due to a fantastic backcourt that could manage to score without shooting the ball terrible well. 

Last year was poorly constructed.  I think even with Vander there, it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Really Sultan? Come on. You defended his decision making all season long. Saying the youngsters couldn't play defense, or we didn't see practice, etc. It was a joke. Some of us on the board were ripped suggesting Mayo wouldn't be back, Thomas was largely worthless and Juan was a DII player. Last year was a wasted season, and some of us could see it in November. None of those guys should have played meaningful minutes, outside of Mayo if he hit his first shot.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but had JJJ and Burton played from day 1, the team would have been tough by conference time. Now Marquette is starting from scratch again, very frustrating.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
Really Sultan? Come on. You defended his decision making all season long. Saying the youngsters couldn't play defense, or we didn't see practice, etc. It was a joke. Some of us on the board were ripped suggesting Mayo wouldn't be back, Thomas was largely worthless and Juan was a DII player. Last year was a wasted season, and some of us could see it in November. None of those guys should have played meaningful minutes, outside of Mayo if he hit his first shot.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but had JJJ and Burton played from day 1, the team would have been tough by conference time. Now Marquette is starting from scratch again, very frustrating.

You too?  There are ways players improve their games outside of 40 minutes twice a week for 4 months.  If we weren't going to start from scratch had Buzz played JJJ and Burton last year, then we aren't starting from scratch now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2014, 10:39:22 PM »
You too?  There are ways players improve their games outside of 40 minutes twice a week for 4 months.  If we weren't going to start from scratch had Buzz played JJJ and Burton last year, then we aren't starting from scratch now.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't believe you can simulate the real game doing basketball drills. Playing real games is when players improve the most, that's why the scoop's favorite line about becoming a sophomore is spot on. Now JJJ is basically a freshman this year, when he deserved to play more last year. That was my point, scratch might have been extreme, but they could be much farther ahead then they are. Instead we had to watch Thomas and Juan fall over themselves.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:31 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't believe you can simulate the real game doing basketball drills. Playing real games is when players improve the most, that's why the scoop's favorite line about becoming a sophomore is spot on. Now JJJ is basically a freshman this year, when he deserved to play more last year. That was my point, scratch might have been extreme, but they could be much farther ahead then they are. Instead we had to watch Thomas and Juan fall over themselves.

Disagreed.  You see the biggest improvement in players from 1 season to the next, not within 1 season, or from game to game.  A player improves the most in the offseason because they can focus on skill development and improve their individual skill set.  Rarely does a player make a giant leap from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.  You see a giant leap from a players freshman year to his sophomore year, or his sophomore year to his junior year.  Vander Blue didn't magically start finishing at the rim at the end of his freshman year after not doing so early on in the season, he started doing it at the start of his junior year and did it all throughout that year.  Frank Kaminsky didn't start this season as a roll player and all of a sudden become a star come NCAA Tournament time, he went from a roll player last year to a star this entire season.  Jimmy Butler didn't go from scrapper early in his junior year to star and first round pick by the end of the year, he went from scrapper his entire junior year to star and 1st round pick his senior year.  Etc. etc. etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Boy you have an inferiority complex and low self esteem!
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2014, 12:21:52 AM »

I see you are still stroking your boy's ego by bringing him up every chance you get. When can we expect you to start your anti-slurper campaign for those of us who have moved on to slurping Wojo?

And the "poor me, I'm a white american" act doesn't look good on anybody, and really had no place in this thread. Not sure why you brought it up. Unless, you were commiserating with Buzz because you are upset at all the perceived disadvantages you both face
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2014, 06:25:19 AM »
Disagreed.  You see the biggest improvement in players from 1 season to the next, not within 1 season, or from game to game.  A player improves the most in the offseason because they can focus on skill development and improve their individual skill set.  Rarely does a player make a giant leap from the beginning of the year to the end of the year.  You see a giant leap from a players freshman year to his sophomore year, or his sophomore year to his junior year.  Vander Blue didn't magically start finishing at the rim at the end of his freshman year after not doing so early on in the season, he started doing it at the start of his junior year and did it all throughout that year.  Frank Kaminsky didn't start this season as a roll player and all of a sudden become a star come NCAA Tournament time, he went from a roll player last year to a star this entire season.  Jimmy Butler didn't go from scrapper early in his junior year to star and first round pick by the end of the year, he went from scrapper his entire junior year to star and 1st round pick his senior year.  Etc. etc. etc.

Agreed on all counts except Jimmy Butler. Maybe because he was a JUCO transfer but he showed a lot of improvement during his first year. I think it had to do with getting comfort in the system rather than skill development. He did of course also get better year to year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »
I see you are still stroking your boy's ego by bringing him up every chance you get. When can we expect you to start your anti-slurper campaign for those of us who have moved on to slurping Wojo?

And the "poor me, I'm a white american" act doesn't look good on anybody, and really had no place in this thread. Not sure why you brought it up. Unless, you were commiserating with Buzz because you are upset at all the perceived disadvantages you both face
Thank you for the Civics lesson, Sherlock. Don't need it from you. I have no perceived disadvantages--maybe you do. You do not like my opinions-fine. But don't lecture unless you can produce your Doctorate in Lectureology.
And I have liked what I have seen from Wojo, a whole lot better than the phony cowboy, who you and a few others go way out of your beaten path to defend at every criticism, just like now. So save the gas--you will have less heartburn. When you stop the slurping, I will stop the call outs.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2014, 07:12:05 AM »

Selective memory.  Look at JJJ's minutes.  He was given plenty of opportunity to produce early on.  He had back to back good games against ASU and Fullerton...

And then he disappeared.  11 minutes against GW...no points, no assists, no rebounds.  9 minutes against SDSU...ditto.  10 minutes against UW...no points, two rebounds, one assist.  Came back with some decent games against the rest of the soft schedule.  Then the conference season.  14 minutes against Creighton...4 points.  14 minutes against Xavier...no points.

I'm sorry but the idea that JJJ didn't play meaningful minutes and get his chance is just false.  He didn't do anything with those minutes when he played decent competition.  You want Buzz to keep throwing him out there to rack up no stats?  He looked completely overwhelmed IMO.

As for Deonte, he was great.  The opposite of JJJ in that respect.  But it is interesting to look at his game log.

During the BE season Marquette went 9-10 including the BET.

When Deonte went double digit minutes, Marquette went 3-8.  When he didn't, they went 6-2...both of which were overtime losses in January.

So his lack of PT perhaps cost Marquette a game or two.  Maybe.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2014, 07:24:18 AM »

Selective memory.  Look at JJJ's minutes.  He was given plenty of opportunity to produce early on.  He had back to back good games against ASU and Fullerton...

And then he disappeared.  11 minutes against GW...no points, no assists, no rebounds.  9 minutes against SDSU...ditto.  10 minutes against UW...no points, two rebounds, one assist.  Came back with some decent games against the rest of the soft schedule.  Then the conference season.  14 minutes against Creighton...4 points.  14 minutes against Xavier...no points.

I'm sorry but the idea that JJJ didn't play meaningful minutes and get his chance is just false.  He didn't do anything with those minutes when he played decent competition.  You want Buzz to keep throwing him out there to rack up no stats?  He looked completely overwhelmed IMO.

The irony.  Thank you for my morning punch line.  I believe JJJ, though he didn't put up great numbers as you point out in his limited minutes, was defended everywhere on the floor.  Pretty sure we could reference about 20-25 game lines for a few other guys who played 30+ minutes and didn't put up numbers much better than those you referenced JJJ putting up in 14 minutes.  Did those guys not look totally overwhelmed?  You wanted Buzz to keep throwing those guys out there to rack up no stats, correct?  And, those guys were Juniors and a 5th year senior - hardly the future of the program.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
The irony.  Thank you for my morning punch line.  I believe JJJ, though he didn't put up great numbers as you point out in his limited minutes, was defended everywhere on the floor.  Pretty sure we could reference about 20-25 game lines for a few other guys who played 30+ minutes and didn't put up numbers much better than those you referenced JJJ putting up in 14 minutes.  Did those guys not look totally overwhelmed?  You wanted Buzz to keep throwing those guys out there to rack up no stats, correct?  And, those guys were Juniors and a 5th year senior - hardly the future of the program.

I wanted Buzz to play the guys that gave Marquette the best chance to win games last year.  And Buzz the GM let down Buzz the coach because he didn't have good options at PG, and his options at 2G were either a former walk on, an overwhelmed freshman, or a returning junior with questionable work habits who was just kicked off the team.

Would have been nice if Jamail Jones would have worked out.  Or TJ Taylor.  Or if Vander stayed.  But none of that happened.  

Too many recruiting mistakes that left the team devoid of experienced talent caused last year.  That is what I blame Buzz for more than anything.

EDIT:  What I am hoping to see primarily out of Wojo is less player movement, even if it means sacrificing on the ranking of incoming recruits a little.  I want to see talented players with experience out there.  I don't want to rely on the either/or problems that were so evident last year.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:42:37 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2014, 07:49:46 AM »

I wanted Buzz to play the guys that gave Marquette the best chance to win games last year.  And Buzz the GM let down Buzz the coach because he didn't have good options at PG, and his options at 2G were either a former walk on, an overwhelmed freshman, or a returning junior with questionable work habits who was just kicked off the team.

Would have been nice if Jamail Jones would have worked out.  Or TJ Taylor.  Or if Vander stayed.  But none of that happened. 

Too many recruiting mistakes that left the team devoid of experienced talent caused last year.  That is what I blame Buzz for more than anything.

Well wasn't it obvious in watching the team early on that the guys he was playing weren't going to give the team much of a chance to win??  I simply don't get how you can criticize JJJ's stat lines, particularly as a freshmen, yet champion upperclassmen and feel they gave us the best chance to win...when they put up numerous games of AWFUL stat lines?

Burton by all accounts has been a high character kid.  Same with Dawson.  That didn't earn them a whole lot last season, now did it?  So, if high character isn't necessarily rewarded among the freshman, but is among the upperclassmen does that not seem inconsistent?  Why can an upperclassmen go out game after game after game, and produce so little..yet still get max minutes....and you can't even find 15 minutes a game on a consistent basis for your 5 star shooting guard, 4 star, power forward, and even your 3 star freshman PG?

As for Mayo - there is nothing on the basketball court Jake Thomas did better than Todd Mayo.  This isn't 5th grade basketball here.  This is high major ball...and you play to win.  Why do you think talented guys with checkered pasts far worse than Todd - guys with all kind of legal and drug issues - get chance after chance after chance at the next level?  Because they can help a team win.  Todd could have helped that team win more basketball games last year.  Period.  I'm still waiting for you explain why Todd was suspended for the Wisconsin game for being late to practice, yet was late multiple times as you report - and wasn't suspended for those games thereafter?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2014, 07:53:51 AM »
woody crush

What is with you and constant reference to penises?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
Boy you have an inferiority complex and low self esteem!

Martyr complex, because the poor guy is so persecuted you know.

Anyway, on topic...my *hope* for JJJ is 7.5 ppg and playing relatively acceptable defense.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:02:01 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »
NM...no more beating a dead horse.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:10:05 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

feedback