[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Report: Flory still committed  (Read 16462 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Report: Flory still committed
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »
Not necessarily a surprise, and not sure it's worth much with so much time to go before he finishes high school, but there it is.

Daily Eagle @Daily_Eagle
Philip Flory is still committed to Marquette, and plans to meet with Coach Wojo next week. #mubb

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: Report: Flory still committed
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Phew. Must have

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
It's something positive.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:09 PM »
So much can happen between now and his senior year, but it's good to hear. Sounds like he's a very talented kid. I believe he's the top ranked WI player for 2017.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
Not necessarily a surprise, and not sure it's worth much with so much time to go before he finishes high school, but there it is.

Daily Eagle @Daily_Eagle
Philip Flory is still committed to Marquette, and plans to meet with Coach Wojo next week. #mubb

Lets see what kind of player he turns out to be. Right now it is nice to have him committed providing he continues on the expected maturation curve.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
As mentioned already, not a surprise, found this quote from when he gave his verbal last September-

“'I watched a lot of Marquette basketball games as a kid, and they were my favorite team. I also get the chance to follow my father’s footsteps. Marquette was always my choice of where I wanted to play,'” said Phillip."

Always critical to keep the best in your home state, for any program.

He's listed at 6'3" will be interesting to see what he is when he gets to MU.  Think his dad was 6'5".

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »
As mentioned already, not a surprise, found this quote from when he gave his verbal last September-

“'I watched a lot of Marquette basketball games as a kid, and they were my favorite team. I also get the chance to follow my father’s footsteps. Marquette was always my choice of where I wanted to play,'” said Phillip."

He's listed at 6'3" will be interesting to see what he is when he gets to MU.  Think his dad was 6'5".

I hope he pans out, but Buzz wasn't the greatest at picking out talent at the junior and senior levels in high school.  Hopefully, he lucked out with an 8th grader that's just starting to take algebra. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »
Lets see what kind of player he turns out to be. Right now it is nice to have him committed providing he continues on the expected maturation curve.

Or what?? He gets The WoJo NoGo?

Death on call

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:49:42 AM »
Heard yesterday that Flory might be switching to Stevens Point HS. That will be one nice high school team for the next two years. Three highly rated recruits: Trevor Anderson (Jr.), Sam Hauser (Jr.), Flory (Soph.) and Hauser's little brother Joey who will be a freshman (6' 4"). Also heard that Flory is good friends with Henry Ellingson from Rice Lake and is always in his ear trying to get him to come to MU.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:40:27 AM »
Heard yesterday that Flory might be switching to Stevens Point HS. That will be one nice high school team for the next two years. Three highly rated recruits: Trevor Anderson (Jr.), Sam Hauser (Jr.), Flory (Soph.) and Hauser's little brother Joey who will be a freshman (6' 4"). Also heard that Flory is good friends with Henry Ellingson from Rice Lake and is always in his ear trying to get him to come to MU.

I saw him play twice last year.  Didn't shoot particularly well in either game.  Got his points from the stripe.  It's too early to judge, but he appears older than 14/15.  Forgot he was just a Fr.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »
There are several years of development that he will undergo, and he could progress or not over that time. Glad he is committed, and not saying that Wojo would not offer him a scholarship, but should it not be Wojo's right to decide when the kid is a Jr. in HS whether he would offer or not.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
It's a precarious situation when you have a commit that young. If he doesn't pan out and offers are only coming from the DIII variety, then MU will definitely not give him a scholarship. However, if he exceeds expectations, MU would expect him to stay committed despite offers from myriad blue bloods. I'm not banking on anything with Flory at his current age, and knowing what I know now, would not blame him for going elsewhere when the time comes to make an informed decision based on his skill level and what's best for him as a 17 or 18-year old young man.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
Hes an MU lifer so im not really worried about blue bloods if he absolutely blows up. I really hope he continues to improve and becomes an absolute stud. Still have 3 years but we will see.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 02:06:12 PM »
FREEPORT WARRIOR---Good source--- Flory family is contemplating moving to Milwaukee. He would like to
go to Germantown if possible. Word from up north.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 02:48:12 PM »
FREEPORT WARRIOR---Good source--- Flory family is contemplating moving to Milwaukee. He would like to
Talked to the father of an AAU teammate of his yesterday afternoon and passed along the info. Hide me.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2014/07/28/flory-transferring-oshkosh-north/13298631/

Flory transferring from Wisconsin Rapids to Oshkosh North.
I think this is a precarious situation. It would not surprise me if he has to do a pg year at a basketball factory.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
I think this is a precarious situation. It would not surprise me if he has to do a pg year at a basketball factory.

Why?  He is eligible for a transfer since he is moving.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
Just curious. Where do you hear such things of what 15 year old is whispering into the ears of a 17 year old in the hinterlands of northern Wisconsin?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Serious question: Why is it critical to keep the best WI kids in-state for MU? How would it be worse if we let them go but picked off the best kids from IL each year?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
Just curious. Where do you hear such things of what 15 year old is whispering into the ears of a 17 year old in the hinterlands of northern Wisconsin?
Mark Miller reported yesterday that Flory is going to Oshkosh North.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
Serious question: Why is it critical to keep the best WI kids in-state for MU? How would it be worse if we let them go but picked off the best kids from IL each year?

Because we aren't going to get the best kids from Illinois every year........

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
A friend whose son played with him for a few years. I heard the Oshkosh North thing a few weeks ago but was told to keep quiet because Mark Miller was going to break it once it was absolutely a #done deal. And before you say"bs," "source" and all of the typical stuff, I private messaged Earl Tatum (who called me out a few months back for a crappy source on this exact issue) two weeks ago when I found out. Apparently it came down to Germantown and Oshkosh North because the elder Flory has some type of position that doesn't require a specific home base and he wanted to get into a good program with a solid coach. I was also told that the "feelers" were put out to Stevens Point and the reception was lukewarm. Perhaps too many D1 players and not enough basketballs.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
A friend whose son played with him for a few years. I heard the Oshkosh North thing a few weeks ago but was told to keep quiet because Mark Miller was going to break it once it was absolutely a #done deal. And before you say"bs," "source" and all of the typical stuff, I private messaged Earl Tatum (who called me out a few months back for a crappy source on this exact issue) two weeks ago when I found out. Apparently it came down to Germantown and Oshkosh North because the elder Flory has some type of position that doesn't require a specific home base and he wanted to get into a good program with a solid coach. I was also told that the "feelers" were put out to Stevens Point and the reception was lukewarm. Perhaps too many D1 players and not enough basketballs.

Why would a former player form Mt Vernon, NY care about the source of information on some 15 year old kid from Wisconsin?

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 02:37:53 PM »
Why would a former player form Mt Vernon, NY care about the source of information on some 15 year old kid from Wisconsin?
Since I see no teal . . .

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »

Why?  He is eligible for a transfer since he is moving.
I think because Wojo wants to keep our reputation up and thus will honor the offer that Buzz made . However, he could very well stipulate that kid has to go to one of those PG schools and play some better competition for a year. Buys some time for both parties without losing face . Right now the kid is not on the trajectory of a high D 1 commit. Not saying that he won't be but an extra year can only help.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 10:33:52 PM »
Because we aren't going to get the best kids from Illinois every year........
Agreed... I mean isn't the main thing just getting the best player we can? Regardless of where the kid is from?

I feel like the idea of "owning Wisconsin" gets a ton of play
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:48 PM »
I think because Wojo wants to keep our reputation up and thus will honor the offer that Buzz made . However, he could very well stipulate that kid has to go to one of those PG schools and play some better competition for a year. Buys some time for both parties without losing face . Right now the kid is not on the trajectory of a high D 1 commit. Not saying that he won't be but an extra year can only help.
Where do you get that he doesn't have the trajectory of a high d-1 commit? He's been playing up an age group all summer for PGE and basically leading the u16 team against some good national competition. He played up 2 years this past weekend.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:46 AM »
So much can happen between now and his senior year, but it's good to hear. Sounds like he's a very talented kid. I believe he's the top ranked WI player for 2017.

Yeah, but who knows what happens when you take the training wheels off.

You want the best players, certainly. I know some of us have blinders on when it comes to this state, but most kids aren't looking at their college options, seeing a Wisconsin school and saying

In summary, it's important to claim the ones that are worthy to be selected so that went a crop of talent comes up as it has recently, we are the ones that they gravitate towards.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:54:57 AM by Not Chris Otule's Coach »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 03:21:13 AM »
http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2014/07/28/flory-transferring-oshkosh-north/13298631/

Flory transferring from Wisconsin Rapids to Oshkosh North.

What I love is the part of the article that refers to the speculation "of the family relocating had circulated on Marquette online message boards as early as late March..."

SCOOP POWER
SS Marquette

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »
Where do you get that he doesn't have the trajectory of a high d-1 commit? He's been playing up an age group all summer for PGE and basically leading the u16 team against some good national competition. He played up 2 years this past weekend.

When it comes to giving an offer to a kid post 8th grade, that kid needs to be a Lead Pipe Cinch.I am from the old school and a can't miss player at that stage needs to exhibit the following characteristics. First he should be a dominant player on his local high school scene and making his team a force , Second  he must demonstrate an ability to be one of the top 5-10 players at an older division AAU tournament and finally he needs to have extensive scrimmage activity with current college players where he is seen as more than holding his own.  I think Flory falls short on all these metrics right now. That is why I think the PG option where he plays at a fancy prep school against great competition is a possibly outcome.  Lets put it another way, when Flory is a senior he needs to have a highlight film that looks like this young mans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxMYxKiEI

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
When it comes to giving an offer to a kid post 8th grade, that kid needs to be a Lead Pipe Cinch.I am from the old school and a can't miss player at that stage needs to exhibit the following characteristics. First he should be a dominant player on his local high school scene and making his team a force , Second  he must demonstrate an ability to be one of the top 5-10 players at an older division AAU tournament and finally he needs to have extensive scrimmage activity with current college players where he is seen as more than holding his own.  I think Flory falls short on all these metrics right now. That is why I think the PG option where he plays at a fancy prep school against great competition is a possibly outcome.  Lets put it another way, when Flory is a senior he needs to have a highlight film that looks like this young mans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxMYxKiEI

A case could be made that you're wrong on all three. Flory was a major cog on his HS team as a Frosh (is the highest ranked WI player in 2017), he frequently plays up a year or two in AAU competition, and what got him the offer was holding his own against MU's WESLEY MATTHEWS. Yes, the one that currently starts for the Portland Trail Blazers (see below).

http://painttouches.com/2013/08/31/what-does-florys-commitment-mean-for-marquette/

Plus, he's a legacy.

Not that difficult to see the fit here.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 02:42:19 PM »
So now this board wants to rip on a 9th grader?

Pathetic!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
I'm not convinced that Flory is a PG. He is 6"3 as a freshman. I grew about four inches after my freshmen year. He could be a solid wing or forward. Wasn't his pops 6"5ish?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
I'm not convinced that Flory is a PG. He is 6"3 as a freshman. I grew about four inches after my freshmen year. He could be a solid wing or forward. Wasn't his pops 6"5ish?

Yes, dad was 6'5"

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »

So Magic Johnson was playing out of position all those years?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »
So Magic Johnson was playing out of position all those years?
Which of the 5 positions?
Goal is National Championship

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 08:28:47 PM »
Doggy style, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 08:30:12 PM »
Just stop.   Let the kid be a kid.   Start worrying about his height and development in about 2 years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback