Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No Announcement, Really.  (Read 5827 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
No Announcement, Really.
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
Buried in other threads ..

The official 5pm announcement was that there is no announcement, per Scott Kuykendall.

So .. drive home safely, go have dinner.    Smoke 'em if you've got em, it's gonna be a while.

Shack

• Starter
Re: No Announcement, Really.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:23:46 PM »
Buried in other threads ..

The official 5pm announcement was that there is no announcement, per Scott Kuykendall.

So .. drive home safely, go have dinner.    Smoke 'em if you've got em, it's gonna be a while.

Shaka Smart should be the new lead singer of Guns N Roses if he keeps this up.  Awfully talented at keeping the crowd waiting. 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:51 PM »
Why do I feel that Brian Wardle is going to be announced as our next head coach?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 05:28:04 PM »
I need a drink.
Relax. Respect the Process.

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:28:23 PM »
VCU fan here, like you guys - we've been through this before.

This is not about "Shaka keeping them waiting" every year "insiders" on other boards come forward about Shaka being a done deal, going to school A. Eventually it comes out that Shaka chose to stay home, or it was never really serious (NC St, Maryland, Minnesota) others were more serious (Illinois, UCLA).

Some on here will believe that it was a done deal until "Shaka had a change of heart". All I know is each spring after VCU is bounced from the tournament, Shaka's recruiting budget is better funded, he gets a small raise, and his best assistants receive raises too.

Not saying Shaka to MU isn't going to happen, just saying this same pattern has happened many, many times previously.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
VCU fan here, like you guys - we've been through this before.

This is not about "Shaka keeping them waiting" every year "insiders" on other boards come forward about Shaka being a done deal, going to school A. Eventually it comes out that Shaka chose to stay home, or it was never really serious (NC St, Maryland, Minnesota) others were more serious (Illinois, UCLA).

Some on here will believe that it was a done deal until "Shaka had a change of heart". All I know is each spring after VCU is bounced from the tournament, Shaka's recruiting budget is better funded, he gets a small raise, and his best assistants receive raises too.

Not saying Shaka to MU isn't going to happen, just saying this same pattern has happened many, many times previously.

If that's true, he's going to burn a lot of bridges along the way.   

brandx

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
Shaka Smart should be the new lead singer of Guns N Roses if he keeps this up.  Awfully talented at keeping the crowd waiting. 

So, tell me. What has Shaka done wrong? Oh yeah.... he is not doing things according to a web forum's schedule. He is not answering every rumor?

Sorry, dude - that's not part of his job description.

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »

If that's true, he's going to burn a lot of bridges along the way.   

By not responding to every message board rumor about him? Geeze, this isn't even good enough to respond with the "smart" pun and all that.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
By not responding to every message board rumor about him? Geeze, this isn't even good enough to respond with the "smart" pun and all that.

I'm sorry I took  your original post as he used job offers from other schools to gain leverage for more funding from his current school.  Offers that he had no intention of accepting.  That would piss some people off I would imagine.  If that's not what you implied then I apologize.

The GNR thing was a joke, it's really not his responsibility to respond to these rumors.  I just feel like I'm at a concert waiting for the show to start. 

Gopher+RamFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »
I'm sorry I took  your original post as he used job offers from other schools to gain leverage for more funding from his current school.  Offers that he had no intention of accepting.  That would piss some people off I would imagine.  If that's not what you implied then I apologize.

The GNR thing was a joke, it's really not his responsibility to respond to these rumors.  I just feel like I'm at a concert waiting for the show to start. 

I think schools will augment their current contracts to ensure the coach will stay. I'm not saying he uses them as leverage, but it's a widespread practice. VCU has restructured his contract each time, and it's something a "small" (30,000 students) basketball only school, really needs to do- show that basketball is the priority.

I have no idea if Shaka ever even entered negotiations with anyone, I have no inside info. I do know that the VCU AD has always been pro-active, instead of re-active. Case in point, the Villa 7 program, which has allowed the school to hire the best young coaches (Buzz is a graduate, as well as Shaka).

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:51:48 PM by Bleuteaux »

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
I think schools will augment their current contracts to ensure the coach will stay. I'm not saying he uses them as leverage, but it's a widespread practice. VCU has restructured his contract each time, and it's something a "small" (30,000 students) basketball only school, really needs to do- show that basketball is the priority.

I have no idea if Shaka ever even entered negotiations with anyone, I have no inside info. I do know that the VCU AD has always been pro-active, instead of re-active. Case in point, the Villa 7 program, which has allowed the school to hire the best young coaches (Buzz is a graduate, as well as Shaka).

He never did. He refused from the get-go.

feedback