Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU knew Buzz leaving was possibility for some time  (Read 8339 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
MU knew Buzz leaving was possibility for some time
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »
No one was really caught off guard at MU, this is why no real effort to keep him.  A shock to the basketball world not a shock internally.  More info to come out in the coming days and weeks that will help crystallize the why. 

Ultimately will benefit both parties or so I'm told.  We shall see how credible that birdie is, but it fits in with some of the other stuff floating around.

Goose

• All American
Re: MU knew Buzz leaving was possibility for some time
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:28 PM »
Could not agree more. Do hope that more does come out and I believe it would make MU look better than we might possibly look to ball world. There have been times we have screwed up over the years, but I do not believe we did this time.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
Hunt's article was reprinted in today's Chicago Tribune.  It has this.

Cords said Marquette already had engaged in internal discussions about the possibility of Williams leaving and added that the position would be filled as soon as possible.

Internal discussions about the possibility ... that means before he left.  Yes they knew he was leaving, expected it and wanted it.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
It seems like it was more of a shock to Buzz than to some at Marquette.  Although I'm still miffed at how Marotta's response contradicts this growing belief MU saw this coming?
No Finish Line

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
It seems like it was more of a shock to Buzz than to some at Marquette.  Although I'm still miffed at how Marotta's response contradicts this growing belief MU saw this coming?
means Marotta didn't know. There's no chat room for high end donors.

Cords attending the meeting with Buzz at 5pm on a Friday (coupled with his dodging the question in leaving MU) tells me everything I need to know. He was not asked to return.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »
means Marotta didn't know. There's no chat room for high end donors.

Cords attending the meeting with Buzz at 5pm on a Friday (coupled with his dodging the question in leaving MU) tells me everything I need to know. He was not asked to return.

... and then Cords immediately went to dinner with Dick Strong Friday night. (got that from someone that said it was "100%")

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
... and then Cords immediately went to dinner with Dick Strong Friday night. (got that from someone that said it was "100%")

Was it at a BBQ joint?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
Was it at a BBQ joint?

Well played sir.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »
There were suspicions on campus.  I am not surprised Marc didn't know. I suspect only Cords and Fr. Wild were fully in the loop.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
After the SMU fiasco with Larry and Pilarz the relationships at MU were irrevocably tarred. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 01:51:55 PM »
After the SMU fiasco with Larry and Pilarz the relationships at MU were irrevocably tarred. 

I hate that Larry wanted Buzz to follow rules and not let the inmates run the asylum...damn him

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
No one was really caught off guard at MU, this is why no real effort to keep him.  A shock to the basketball world not a shock internally. More info to come out in the coming days and weeks that will help crystallize the why.  

Ultimately will benefit both parties or so I'm told.  We shall see how credible that birdie is, but it fits in with some of the other stuff floating around.

Why wait?
Not MU (I can understand them not airing dirty laundry), but you? If know something, please share with the class.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:59:19 PM by Pakuni »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
I hate that Larry wanted Buzz to follow rules and not let the inmates run the asylum...damn him

"5 Easy Pieces" had to have an ending sometime

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
There's no chat room for high end donors.

What! What the hell is Scoop then??

Death on call

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 02:07:05 PM »
What! What the hell is Scoop then??

After paying tuition we're all high end donors.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »

That's way too simple, Jams. There was a lot more to LW than just not getting along with BW. Let's agree that MU will be a better place going forward now that those two are gone, shall we?

Death on call

tweakers_suck

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 02:10:18 PM »
Why wait?
Not MU (I can understand them not airing dirty laundry), but you? If know something, please share with the class.

This. Why wait is exactly right. At least a little blurb to be able to read between the lines would be a nice way to fill the void.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 02:10:55 PM »
Guys guys guys

If we don't fire LW, Buzz's buyout doesn't get reduced --> VT can't afford him --> We don't get Howland --> Dawson never plays --> We let a FF run escape from our potential.

Firing LW was good.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 02:26:55 PM »
That's way too simple, Jams. There was a lot more to LW than just not getting along with BW. Let's agree that MU will be a better place going forward now that those two are gone, shall we?

Time will tell....but I come from an era where the AD should have some control over the program and God forbid if that also means keeping the coach in line.  When I read stuff on here that Buzz should have had no oversight, no AD, be the AD himself, etc...I wanted to throw up.

That doesn't mean LW was the right guy, nor am I claiming that to be the case.  I just want a department that has clear structure, a good relationship with the AD and coaches, but also a department where the AD yields a big stick.  Departments with pseudo AD's and coaches doing whatever they please ends up putting universities in very bad positions.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »
Only person I feel bad for in all of this is that they threw MU man Steve Cottingham under the bus.      Never had confidence in Pilarz after that move. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
Time will tell....but I come from an era where the AD should have some control over the program and God forbid if that also means keeping the coach in line.  When I read stuff on here that Buzz should have had no oversight, no AD, be the AD himself, etc...I wanted to throw up.

That doesn't mean LW was the right guy, nor am I claiming that to be the case.  I just want a department that has clear structure, a good relationship with the AD and coaches, but also a department where the AD yields a big stick.  Departments with pseudo AD's and coaches doing whatever they please ends up putting universities in very bad positions.

Do you like Howland?   Knowing the shady stuff that went down in Westwood...though that isn't exactly new at UCLA.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 02:40:12 PM »
Only person I feel bad for in all of this is that they threw MU man Steve Cottingham under the bus.      Never had confidence in Pilarz after that move. 

Agree. He took the biggest hit in a growing career.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
 nicest guy you'd ever meet and very sharp.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 02:48:21 PM »
No one was really caught off guard at MU, this is why no real effort to keep him.  A shock to the basketball world not a shock internally.  More info to come out in the coming days and weeks that will help crystallize the why. 

Ultimately will benefit both parties or so I'm told.  We shall see how credible that birdie is, but it fits in with some of the other stuff floating around.
Spill it, be a good scooper!!
Goal is National Championship

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »
Do you like Howland?   Knowing the shady stuff that went down in Westwood...though that isn't exactly new at UCLA.

Personally?  As a coach?  I find him to be a bit gruff, eccentric, etc.  Not unlike many other coaches I have met.  Do I have concerns, yes I do.  Not going to lie to you. 

The stuff that went down in Westwood...are we talking Sam Gilbert ancient history stuff or something else?  I think the Shabazz recruitment was slimy as hell for all schools involved, though everything that I'm aware of is pre UCLA stuff and tied around the AAU crap, DreamVision, Addidas, etc.  There is a reason why the NCAA sent letters to the schools recruiting him and warned of his amateur status.

My friends currently in the UCLA department or that have left, all have high regard for Ben, though they acknowledge he can be tough to work for at times.